Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin making friends... 14:16 - Jul 28 with 8371 views80s_Boy

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-

Not sure any of our players should be allowed to give non-QPR interviews like this - especially to gutter media like Talksport - and also think it's disrespectful... (some could say ironic too considering the United player has played exactly the same amount of top flight matches as Austin despite being 9 years younger... )

Thoughts?
Charlie Austin making friends... on 16:21 - Jul 28 with 1959 viewsBazzeR

Does Charlies opinion on Talksport about Bassaka explain why our attack was so lopsided against them.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 16:30 - Jul 28 with 1907 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin making friends... on 15:49 - Jul 28 by Tonto

Co sidereal this... is the extra wages he gets from. TALKSPORT the make weight in the deal that allowed us to sign him? If so, I say let his talk.

I think it's more of a promotional tool with a view to establishing himself in other media ventures further down the line (presumably not TV punditry if he's going to be as blunt as this).

A few months ago I asked an acquaintance who works in radio (not with/for TalkSport) what the ballpark Austin might be getting for this gig and they thought maybe £150 an appearance, max...
Charlie Austin making friends... on 19:56 - Jul 28 with 1748 viewskernowhoop

Charlie Austin making friends... on 16:11 - Jul 28 by ThGrimRanger

I think Charlie went too far and hasn't done and himself any favours if he's keen on a media career.

If he said "in my opinion Man.U have a weakness at right back" then that's a much better way of putting it.

To name and judge a top class young player like AWB based upon a pre-season friendly like he has is unnecessary.

Agreed.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 20:00 - Jul 28 with 1741 viewskernowhoop

Charlie, you know that we love you at QPR and we know you speak plainly. But, please don't embarrass us. My parents' generation used to say 'If you can't find something nice to say about someone, then perhaps you should say nothing at all.' That approach does little harm.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 21:26 - Jul 28 with 1644 viewsMyke

Charlie Austin making friends... on 15:55 - Jul 28 by WatfordR

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this Myke.

It might be a little different if you were talking about an opponent at another club in our division, then you're potentially giving a motivational talk to him and his colleagues that might come back to bite us. Austin goaded Brentford after their last Play Off bottling, and I seem to remember Austin, Barbet AND Warbs giving it some to Brentford in the game at our place last season.

But to me this is no different to saying that Ronaldo or Messi aren't the players they were. It's an opinion on what's going on in a world that doesn't affect QPR or Austin.

Perhaps I'm just a little too ancient to be overly sensitive about this kind of thing. Stan Bowles was, is and always will be a hero of mine, and I remember him goading Malcolm MacDonald about his inability to trap a medicine ball. It won't affect how I think of him in the slightest.

Great reply Watford and really we don't disagree too much. It's probably is a bit of a storm in a teacup and I for one have waaay to much time on my hands today. Last week we were baking in 30 degrees and I was complaining about the heat, today it was 14 degrees and pi$$ing down.

I suppose the only point I'm making is that we tend to take a more lenient view of the actions and comments of the players we love and how valuable they are to the team. We all love Charlie, but he lives on the edge both by his actions and words. I think he is much more controversial than he was the first time he was here. Whether that is a deliberate ruse to get into media punditry, I don't know.
Kane was unpopular even before 'interviewgate; and then his ban has compounded people's dislike for him. I honestly thought he did a decent job at wing back, but I am in the minority. I hope Moses works out, because Kakay is not (yet anyway) a promotion -chasing standard defender.

As for Stan, we share a mutual love for the man, but it was a different time and you could say what you like. I remember him slagging off some Everton defender saying his first touch was so bad, his second was a header!
Funny how we have to be so careful nowadays about what we say, yet get behind a keyboard and it's a free for all.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 09:43 - Jul 29 with 1505 viewsWokingR

Get over yourselves
This is Charlie Austin and he’s playing for Qpr.
He can say whatever the hell he likes.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 09:46 - Jul 29 with 1493 views80s_Boy

Charlie Austin making friends... on 09:43 - Jul 29 by WokingR

Get over yourselves

Well, not really.

If he is ever deemed to have overstepped a mark by the Football League or Football Association there will be consequence for him and, possibly, the club.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 09:47 - Jul 29 with 1489 viewskernowhoop

Charlie Austin making friends... on 09:43 - Jul 29 by WokingR

Get over yourselves

Of course, WokingR. But, the question is whether he should.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:00 - Jul 29 with 1412 viewsBostonR

It's not ok for Todd Kane to slate a team-member in public, but it's ok for Austin to slate a fellow professional in public.

I am not bothered, but when MW talks about respect, surely it should apply to the whole squad.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:35 - Jul 29 with 1331 viewsLazyFan

All Chaz had to say was Man Utd need better defenders without naming even the position. People would have worked it out. This way he could do his Talksport thingy, wind up the Manure lot to call in and earn his money without being personal. He went too far.

Not only on AWB but also Man United will unlikely want to do a friendly with us again in the future if we slag off their players and also in turn other clubs will see it this way as well.

Thus this affects our capability to get good quality friendlies in the future. His comments have affected the club and therefore the team as well. QPR is directly paying him now, Chaz needs to do better.

zzzzzzzzzz

Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:45 - Jul 29 with 1312 viewsrsonist

I don't see how examples of competitive gamesmanship - like our conduct at Brentford or what Stan said to someone fifty years ago - are in any way pertinent here. This was retrospective and gratuitous.

(Which is not to say all bets are off in a contextual grey area either, but it's a different topic entirely).

At the same time, the argument that AWB and United are in such a remote celebrity stratosphere that they are free not to be treated as fellow professionals doesn't really hold water given CA has leveraged the fact he is employee of a club who had arranged a fixture against them a few days ago to validate his opinion.

You can give it all the 'bollix to United' here if you want but if they're picky enough to comb through the stadium playlist I'd imagine they won't be too impressed with this. So what, right? - but now see about loaning James Garner or whoever now as was considered last season. Like it or not this probably has amounted to reputational damage to the club to some degree.

There's a reason Warbs doesn't ask to pass the salt without #notwishingtosound arrogantwiththegreatestofrespect.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:55 - Jul 29 with 1290 viewsBrianMcCarthy

80's Boy,

Apologies - I down-voted you by mistake.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Austin doing media while playing for us. Ray Wilkins did. But then Ray Wilkins was a gentleman. Charlie Austin could learn a lot from how Ray presented himself and represented us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:59 - Jul 29 with 1285 viewssaxbend

As long as Warburton doesn't call him into the office saying "Oi! I was planning to sign AWB this window!" it'll be fine.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:02 - Jul 29 with 1274 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:55 - Jul 29 by BrianMcCarthy

80's Boy,

Apologies - I down-voted you by mistake.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Austin doing media while playing for us. Ray Wilkins did. But then Ray Wilkins was a gentleman. Charlie Austin could learn a lot from how Ray presented himself and represented us.

The thing about 'learn' is, this is a character CA is choosing to play. He isn't some uneducated rube that can't filter himself when he wants to.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:05 - Jul 29 with 1266 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:02 - Jul 29 by rsonist

The thing about 'learn' is, this is a character CA is choosing to play. He isn't some uneducated rube that can't filter himself when he wants to.

You may well be right, rsonist.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:30 - Jul 29 with 1240 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Not overly bothered by Austin's comment, though think they were clumsy and disrespectful.

Mind you perhaps the relaxed and rather casual way Wan Bissaka seemed to be playing was in some way 'disrespectful' to the QPR team, and maybe Charlie was responding to that? Still, Bissaka got his just rewards on the end of a 4-2 tonking.

But no-one is going to fall for Charlie's rather cliché 'with all due respect' preamble...

"With all due respect, if Aaron Wan-Bissaka is your right-back, are Man United going to win Premier Leagues and silverware? I'm not too sure. They need to strengthen there, definitely."

Was it rude/disrespectful/unnecessary? Probably.

Was it good for Chaz's punditry career, in that it got LOADS of publicity? Definitely.

He's no mug...
Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:32 - Jul 29 with 1236 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin making friends... on 11:45 - Jul 29 by rsonist

I don't see how examples of competitive gamesmanship - like our conduct at Brentford or what Stan said to someone fifty years ago - are in any way pertinent here. This was retrospective and gratuitous.

(Which is not to say all bets are off in a contextual grey area either, but it's a different topic entirely).

At the same time, the argument that AWB and United are in such a remote celebrity stratosphere that they are free not to be treated as fellow professionals doesn't really hold water given CA has leveraged the fact he is employee of a club who had arranged a fixture against them a few days ago to validate his opinion.

You can give it all the 'bollix to United' here if you want but if they're picky enough to comb through the stadium playlist I'd imagine they won't be too impressed with this. So what, right? - but now see about loaning James Garner or whoever now as was considered last season. Like it or not this probably has amounted to reputational damage to the club to some degree.

There's a reason Warbs doesn't ask to pass the salt without #notwishingtosound arrogantwiththegreatestofrespect.

he was far more critical of Southampton last season on talksport, it's all about context for me.

I never saw the big deal about what Todd Kane said but it was seen by some as being critical of a fellow team mate which can affect team harmony so can see why Warburton was strong on that

This seems different, he's just saying he thinks Man Utd need a new right back as he doesn't think the current one is very good. Many would disagree with him but I'm not sure that would be seen as disrespectful anymore than another pundit saying they think Trippier should play instead of Walker for England as he is better going forward. It's just an opinion.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:39 - Jul 29 with 1230 viewssevenhoop

Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:05 - Jul 29 by BrianMcCarthy

You may well be right, rsonist.

I really don't like it, he should just be getting on with football. However, as someone else has said, he's clearly positioning himself for a media role if he should choose to go that way. that's the only reason that the talentless Savage and the painful Sutton have media profile
Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:53 - Jul 29 with 1179 viewsted_hendrix

Keep talking Charlie.
Keep scoring Charlie.
You'll do for me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:06 - Jul 29 with 1166 viewsArcticHoop

Charlie Austin making friends... on 14:50 - Jul 28 by Metallica_Hoop

I couldn't care less what he say's about other teams players on the radio as long as he stays fit and continues the happy times with us.

Agree
Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:40 - Jul 29 with 1117 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin making friends... on 12:32 - Jul 29 by daveB

he was far more critical of Southampton last season on talksport, it's all about context for me.

I never saw the big deal about what Todd Kane said but it was seen by some as being critical of a fellow team mate which can affect team harmony so can see why Warburton was strong on that

This seems different, he's just saying he thinks Man Utd need a new right back as he doesn't think the current one is very good. Many would disagree with him but I'm not sure that would be seen as disrespectful anymore than another pundit saying they think Trippier should play instead of Walker for England as he is better going forward. It's just an opinion.

I agree it is all about context. Which is why his sharp opinion of Saints as a bombed-out former Saints player is more justified (though still unprofessional) than a targeted drive-by slating out of nothing.

It is also all about context that TalkSport profit from having engineered the aberrant situation of a currently active pro publicly having "just an opinion" like you, me and Joe Bloggs.

Struggle to believe you sincerely can't fathom the difference between the two statements you offer and why this is getting the attention it was constructed to get.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 13:42]
Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:52 - Jul 29 with 1092 viewsLythamR

lots of mentions of Charlie Austin, lets of mentions of Talk Sport. Job Done
Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:58 - Jul 29 with 1071 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:52 - Jul 29 by LythamR

lots of mentions of Charlie Austin, lets of mentions of Talk Sport. Job Done

And lots of mentions of QPR FC as collateral damage.
Charlie Austin making friends... on 14:08 - Jul 29 with 1058 viewsR_from_afar

Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:06 - Jul 29 by ArcticHoop

Agree

As an aside, sir or madam, where are you based? Kiruna?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Charlie Austin making friends... on 14:09 - Jul 29 with 1056 viewsdanehoop

Charlie Austin making friends... on 13:58 - Jul 29 by rsonist

And lots of mentions of QPR FC as collateral damage.

But there is none. At all.

As long as he is scoring goals for us and encouraging/improving our own side I don't really care. Is it going to effect Man Utd having another friendly with us? Probably not, it only really happened because of lockdown - otherwise their team would have been the other side of the world playing whatever utd in front of stadium full of replica shirt wearing locals.

We are unlikely to get another friendly because we embarrassed them on Man Utd Live TV and made a team worth over £200M look poor. Its not good for the brand. Whatever Charlie says on TalkShyte radio will have less impact than that.

Move on.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024