Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hobbies 16:02 - Aug 25 with 14751 viewsMatch82

Bear with me a little here.

With everything that's been going on in the last year I've decided that I need to pick up a hobby, just to keep my sanity. I'm struggling to think of something that I really LOVE though, something which would give me something to look forward to on tough or stressful days.

So I'm reaching out to the wonderful people on this board for suggestions. What hobbies or activities have you picked up that you'd recommend? I know this kind of thing depends on what activities I enjoy but that's kind of the point, I have no idea what might be out there that I've never thought of so I'm trying to keep an open mind!

I'm in the US so "going to watch QPR" isn't a realistic option much as I'd like it to be!

Not sure if it matters but I'm about to hit the big 4-0 if that makes any difference to suggestions...
Hobbies on 16:05 - Aug 25 with 8955 viewsMick_S

Golf. And when you are not golfing, grow your own veg. Then get a dog, preferably an athletic one.

Fish tanks are also decent.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Hobbies on 16:12 - Aug 25 with 8927 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Don't play World of Tanks or Warships.

Both used to be fun now it's getting monetized, the game play is toxic and both are full of red stat clickers free xp'ing premiums.

I enjoy picking up a guitar now and again until my fingers hurt and I leave it for a few weeks.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Hobbies on 16:13 - Aug 25 with 8922 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Don't know if you are one the coast, but surfing is incredibly relaxing, easy to pick up and not at all age-dependent. The people are always laid-back and good company. Longboarding, not shortboarding, though!

I've really enjoyed hiking in the last five years. Join a club, though watch out - there's a lot of tweeds and squares about.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hobbies on 16:23 - Aug 25 with 8882 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Might I suggest listening to music. Check out every track in this thread. Over 99% solid gold

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/108318/the-frankie-friday-music-thr
Hobbies on 16:30 - Aug 25 with 8851 viewsjoe90

Rollerblading.
Hobbies on 16:33 - Aug 25 with 8831 viewsdanehoop

Restarted studying again at the Open University. Key is picking subject that really interests you on the syllabus. Started a law degree last year, took a while to get into it, but pleased to get through first module. Second module starts in just over a month and I have just paid for it, so away we go again in the autumn.

Also started to get back into golf again after 15 years of not picking up a club in anger. Found it quite frustrating to discover I am not as good as I once was - something very much about being so much less in shape than I was before. Take the view that it is very much now about a nice walk in the countryside than trying to win stuff and that has made it a bit more relaxing.

Never knowingly understood

Hobbies on 16:45 - Aug 25 with 8781 viewsMick_S

Hobbies on 16:33 - Aug 25 by danehoop

Restarted studying again at the Open University. Key is picking subject that really interests you on the syllabus. Started a law degree last year, took a while to get into it, but pleased to get through first module. Second module starts in just over a month and I have just paid for it, so away we go again in the autumn.

Also started to get back into golf again after 15 years of not picking up a club in anger. Found it quite frustrating to discover I am not as good as I once was - something very much about being so much less in shape than I was before. Take the view that it is very much now about a nice walk in the countryside than trying to win stuff and that has made it a bit more relaxing.

Agree with you there Dane regarding the golf. It’s a bit of fun and a good shot/hole/putt or round is just so satisfying - don’t push it or take it too seriously. The kids all want to be that Bryson chap - it rarely works.

Hobbies on 16:53 - Aug 25 with 8759 viewsMrSheen

Hobbies on 16:33 - Aug 25 by danehoop

I would second the idea of online study, but you don’t have to commit to a degree. There are lots of free online video courses (search MOOCs or a site called edx), or you could pay for a course of between 5-8 weeks, which is a mix of online material, reading, and short written assignments, guided by a course tutor and group discussions. I did a fantastic one on the English Civil War from Oxford University’s Continuing Education department for about £300, open to absolutely anyone in the world. There’s lots of choice there and from other unis.

I’m currently studying Modern Greek in online courses from City Lit in London, about £200 for ten two hour lessons, with progression through about three years of study. Again, I’ve enjoyed it more than I imagined and the online format is great, there’s no way I would have looked forward to crossing town for two hours in a classroom after work on a Friday, but cracking open the first drink of the weekend at the mid class break at home has become a lovely ritual. Class resumes in a few weeks after I get back from test-driving my new knowledge in Crete next week.

A few sites...
https://www.edx.org/search?tab=course
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/online-courses
https://www.citylit.ac.uk/
https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 17:08]
Login to get fewer ads

Hobbies on 16:54 - Aug 25 with 8758 viewsdmm

Like many, I love music, reading, films and theatre but the pandemic made me look for other things to do.

I've now taken up growing vegetables. I used to do this in the 90s and picked it up again last year. It is very satisfying and you can take things at your own pace and to your own liking.

The other thing I'm doing is walking, well okay, rambling! Walking in the countryside, and for me woodland areas particularly, is a hugely refreshing and revitalising way to spend a morning or afternoon.
Hobbies on 16:59 - Aug 25 with 8742 viewsMick_S

Hobbies on 16:53 - Aug 25 by MrSheen

I would second the idea of online study, but you don’t have to commit to a degree. There are lots of free online video courses (search MOOCs or a site called edx), or you could pay for a course of between 5-8 weeks, which is a mix of online material, reading, and short written assignments, guided by a course tutor and group discussions. I did a fantastic one on the English Civil War from Oxford University’s Continuing Education department for about £300, open to absolutely anyone in the world. There’s lots of choice there and from other unis.

I’m currently studying Modern Greek in online courses from City Lit in London, about £200 for ten two hour lessons, with progression through about three years of study. Again, I’ve enjoyed it more than I imagined and the online format is great, there’s no way I would have looked forward to crossing town for two hours in a classroom after work on a Friday, but cracking open the first drink of the weekend at the mid class break at home has become a lovely ritual. Class resumes in a few weeks after I get back from test-driving my new knowledge in Crete next week.

A few sites...

You’ve got a week to learn Greek dancing. Which part you visiting, Sheen?

Hobbies on 17:05 - Aug 25 with 8725 viewsMrSheen

Hobbies on 16:59 - Aug 25 by Mick_S

You’ve got a week to learn Greek dancing. Which part you visiting, Sheen?

Chania for week, only ever been to Greece once, never to Crete. Counting the hours.

Not sure about the dancing, but I can smash plates.
Hobbies on 17:05 - Aug 25 with 8724 viewssaxbend

I had a go at a novel last year. I may even stick at it, but after a few rewrites I took a break from it that turned into quite a long one.
Hobbies on 17:14 - Aug 25 with 8680 viewsterryb

It depends on whether you enjoy playing cards, but I've found that playing Bridge online is of a higher standard than that I used to play in Bridge clubs.

It keeps the brain very active whilst your playing as well & it is also very competitive. At least, the games I play are!
Hobbies on 17:16 - Aug 25 with 8675 viewsted_hendrix

Hobbies on 16:53 - Aug 25 by MrSheen

A few sites...

Bit of a heads up mate, we've been to Crete a couple of times and my eldest and his wife and kids has just come back from their last week, apparently Heraklion Airport is still as chaotic as it ever was, huge queues to get your luggage and the departure area was heaving with no air conditioning and completely packed solid when they came back.

38C when they were out there.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Hobbies on 17:20 - Aug 25 with 8666 viewsMrSheen

Hobbies on 17:16 - Aug 25 by ted_hendrix

Bit of a heads up mate, we've been to Crete a couple of times and my eldest and his wife and kids has just come back from their last week, apparently Heraklion Airport is still as chaotic as it ever was, huge queues to get your luggage and the departure area was heaving with no air conditioning and completely packed solid when they came back.

38C when they were out there.

Thanks for the warning Ted, we're flying into Chania, so fingers crossed. I'm not a fan of heat, which is why I love Kerry so much, but out-voted 4-1 on this one.
Hobbies on 17:23 - Aug 25 with 8650 viewsted_hendrix

Hobbies on 17:20 - Aug 25 by MrSheen

Thanks for the warning Ted, we're flying into Chania, so fingers crossed. I'm not a fan of heat, which is why I love Kerry so much, but out-voted 4-1 on this one.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Hobbies on 17:23 - Aug 25 with 8645 viewsMick_S

I’ve not been to the western side, but Crete can be quite breezy so you might be alright. Wonderful island.

Hobbies on 17:24 - Aug 25 with 8642 viewsPinnerPaul

Refereeing- a hobby you actually get paid for, what's not to like?!
Hobbies on 17:29 - Aug 25 with 8623 viewsDaBurgh

Qiqong.. Started last October, probably only missed about 10 days since. . Most times will do a full 55 mins, other times just quick 10 to fifteen mins. Great before bed. Used to get lower back pain 2 or 3 times a year, haven't suffered one since.
Hobbies on 17:30 - Aug 25 with 8618 viewsMick_S

Hobbies on 17:24 - Aug 25 by PinnerPaul

Refereeing- a hobby you actually get paid for, what's not to like?!

Only kidding, Paul

Hobbies on 17:32 - Aug 25 with 8611 viewshovehoop

Snapping golf clubs over ones knee and chucking them in lakes is very therapeutic and the game really helped refine my vocabulary of foul language. I actually once played a round with a GP and watched him bash a hole in his golf bag then wrap a club around a tree. That bit made me laugh as it was him venting and not me!

Depends on your physicality I guess and if you enjoy sports. I work hard at swimming and cycling and love them both. The biking bit can depend on where you live and access to good roads or trails if that's your thing. If you don't currently pursue either of those sports you can potentially be considerably better in both 10 years from now.
Hobbies on 18:00 - Aug 25 with 8553 viewsA40Bosh

Hobbies on 17:32 - Aug 25 by hovehoop

Snapping golf clubs over ones knee and chucking them in lakes is very therapeutic and the game really helped refine my vocabulary of foul language. I actually once played a round with a GP and watched him bash a hole in his golf bag then wrap a club around a tree. That bit made me laugh as it was him venting and not me!

Depends on your physicality I guess and if you enjoy sports. I work hard at swimming and cycling and love them both. The biking bit can depend on where you live and access to good roads or trails if that's your thing. If you don't currently pursue either of those sports you can potentially be considerably better in both 10 years from now.

Friday June 12th last year I played golf for the first time in nearly 15 years and before that had literally played once or twice in my life.

I was on a 3 day week and then a 4 day week most of last year and decided if I didn't take up golf there and then I wouldn't until I was 70 and by then it might be too late. I played every single Friday, bar one, from 12th June until the first week of Nov and since courses opened again in March this year have played normally twice a week - 12 holes at Uxbridge after work and 18 holes at the weekend.

To say I have become obsessed with everything golf would be an understatement. So much so that after being in a wedding band for 25 years I now look at a £800 speaker cabinet and think, if I sell that I could get a set of better irons.

It is the best game in the world and at the same time the worst. However, with the sh't going on around me in the immediate and extended family for the last few years and the pandemic, standing on the first tee at 8:30am on a Saturday morning whilst the birds are singing and the trees whisper as the breeze passes through them and you take in a lungful of fresh air and smell the autumn dew, there is no better feeling in the world

But 4 hours later you are sat in your car wondering why you are the biggest tosser on the planet and hate everything to do with golf.

Oh.... or take up the bass guitar... guitarist tell you that it is easy... but that is cos most of them don't understand "the pocket"!
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 18:01]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Hobbies on 18:10 - Aug 25 with 8520 viewsPinnerPaul

Hobbies on 17:30 - Aug 25 by Mick_S

Only kidding, Paul

Only 10, I can think of at least double that!

Seriously though, I have an U18s line tomorrow night, decent ground, get to have a chat with a couple of colleagues, few sarnies afterwards, get to 'watch' a decent game of football on a summer's evening, and someone gives me some money at the end of it!

Yes, yes, yes, its not August all the time and I could get called all sorts and have a complete nightmare - but you get my drift!
Hobbies on 18:10 - Aug 25 with 8517 viewshovehoop

Hobbies on 17:32 - Aug 25 by hovehoop

Joking aside, golf doesn't suit my temperament.

I did spend a few years taking my kids to an athletics club which morphed into helping the coaches. And then to get a better idea of what I was doing I got a UK Athletics coaching license. Helping coaching sessions was good and I got to see some fantastic talents progress onto a seriously competitive stage. That whole episode in life just evolved and I look back on it with good memories. The safety and protocol requirements can be a bit daunting at first but they are necessary! But most amateur clubs (in any sport) can rely on a few people doing lots of work so one role can lead to another and it's a question of how much time you have or want to make available. I eventually managed a team and that for the most part was good but one or two parents were a pain thinking their kids were destined for the Olympics. Conversely, one of the boys did end up in an Olympic final and his folks were fantastic and always acknowledged all the volunteers.
Hobbies on 18:32 - Aug 25 with 8465 viewsitsbiga

I restore old 80's motorcycles back to factory spec.
Great hobby if you're into that sort of thing. You have to hunt fore parts all over the globe, have parts made sometimes, learn what parts from other bikes can be used if the original cant be found. Then you get to strip bikes down to each component and clean em up or re spray em or powder coat them etc. I got my garage all set up with a powder coat area, a respray area. Fitted a compressed air line for tools etc. Built up my tools collection.
Takes me about a year per bike and then you get to ride them and go to meet ups etc...
You also get to know the local sand blasters, machine shops and other mechanics so it gets quite social at times.
Most recently i finished an 84 Kawasaki GPZ 750 and an 85 Yamaha XT600.
Always getting people talk to you about the bikes when you ride on the street.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 18:38]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024