Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinking ban at football grounds 11:32 - Sep 24 with 4207 viewsGeorgeKulscar

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/24/ban-on-football-fans-drinking-a

I'm sure this is quite a way off but interesting to see it's being thought about.

While there are lots of positives to consider, not least the club making a lot more money on matchdays, I could see some issues too. A lot of beers being thrown at players when celebrating goals etc. being one.

Having gone to games in Germany where you can do this it is really good, but they are generally better behaved than English fans.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:37 - Sep 24 with 3257 viewsAntti_Heinola

About time.
Absurd rule.

Bare bones.

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:39 - Sep 24 with 3243 viewswillis1980

this is great news and I hope it works out for the better. theres a big part of me that worries about the role that this country's relationship with alcohol will play in this. I instantly had flashbacks to the euro2020 footage of trees flying in the west end etc. Maybe once the initial novelty wears off people wont drink to excess
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:40 - Sep 24 with 3238 viewsPikey

No no please god no.
I was unfortunate enough to be in a pub garden during the euros when a goal was scored and tens of idiots thought it ok to throw beer over everyone in their vicinity.
Please do not let this become the norm at grounds.
They want people standing in front of you throwing beer around , how many of them really remember the ' good old days'
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:42 - Sep 24 with 3223 viewsstowmarketrange

I can see the positives behind the move,but who wants to come home drenched in beer because some idiots decide to throw theirs up in the air every time a goal is scored?Especially at away games.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:47 - Sep 24 with 3197 viewsToast_R

It's always a minority of idiots that spoil it for everyone though. Don't think the culture of English football supporters can be trusted in my opinion.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:50 - Sep 24 with 3186 viewsdaveB

Hopefully won't happen, football fans can't be trusted I'm afraid
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:51 - Sep 24 with 3181 viewsPikey

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:42 - Sep 24 by stowmarketrange

I can see the positives behind the move,but who wants to come home drenched in beer because some idiots decide to throw theirs up in the air every time a goal is scored?Especially at away games.

Yeh away games would be chronic. We have our share of numpties who have no consideration for others ... even their fellow rs fans. It wouldnt end well.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:54 - Sep 24 with 3160 viewsDavieQPR

Plus having to get up every 5 minutes because someone wants to go and get a drink.
Login to get fewer ads

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:56 - Sep 24 with 3147 viewsstowmarketrange

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:54 - Sep 24 by DavieQPR

Plus having to get up every 5 minutes because someone wants to go and get a drink.

And 5 mins later when they come back.Unless you’re in Ellerslie road and it will be 15 mins.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:10 - Sep 24 with 3106 viewswillis1980

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:56 - Sep 24 by stowmarketrange

And 5 mins later when they come back.Unless you’re in Ellerslie road and it will be 15 mins.

with any luck all of those sorts will be asleep 15mins into the game

i can see the shares in cocaine skyrocketing
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:11 - Sep 24 with 3096 viewswestberksr

are we really incapable of watching a match without a drink (I know, it's QPR so I'm asking for any daft replies)?

following the last WC and Euros, it's now apparently the thing to shower everyone with beer when we score; feck that.

go to the pub before, go for half time on 35 minutes, get some more in the pub afterwards.

Been to games in Germany and also rugby matches; they don't have English football fans so make it seem a perfectly reasonable idea.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:12 - Sep 24 with 3096 viewsGloryHunter

You get showered with beer at German games, too. I'm against it.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:18 - Sep 24 with 3069 viewsstowmarketrange

Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:11 - Sep 24 by westberksr

are we really incapable of watching a match without a drink (I know, it's QPR so I'm asking for any daft replies)?

following the last WC and Euros, it's now apparently the thing to shower everyone with beer when we score; feck that.

go to the pub before, go for half time on 35 minutes, get some more in the pub afterwards.

Been to games in Germany and also rugby matches; they don't have English football fans so make it seem a perfectly reasonable idea.

At some of the away games this season there seems to be a lot of our fans who aren’t even there for the football,but stay at the bar for the majority of the game.
Each to their own I guess.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:21 - Sep 24 with 3052 viewssilverbirch

Then they will need the toilet more often too.
Can people really not go a couple of hours without a beer?
Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:23 - Sep 24 with 3037 viewsKonk

As a pis shead who has always goes to the pub before and after games, I'm completely against this. As others have said, it will just end up with dic kheads throwing pints everywhere. It's already got to the point where loads of people can't be ar sed to use concourses at half-time because of muppets filming each other throwing beer about, and the last thing I want to be doing after a goal is having a row with some dopey teenager who's just slung half-a-pint over my coat.

It's going to be very messy, lead to bother, and be a wear-out. Maybe if the kiddies who like throwing pints about all go in a special paddling pool section or something it could work, but otherwise, no ta.

Massively in favour of safe-standing, but I think this would be a major negative.

In that article, Dulwich Hamlet say they rely on alcohol sales to help the club stay afloat. I can believe that as their bar is excellent and was busy all game. I went to a game there a couple of years ago, and most of the crowd were 30+ and not really your beer-chucking kiddie demographic.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 12:37]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:05 - Sep 24 with 2936 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've noticed thrown stuff usually tends to be lager.

The solution is simple, serve real ale.

Who the feck wastes beer anyway?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:07 - Sep 24 with 2928 viewsstowmarketrange

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:05 - Sep 24 by Metallica_Hoop

I've noticed thrown stuff usually tends to be lager.

The solution is simple, serve real ale.

Who the feck wastes beer anyway?

Or Guinness.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:10 - Sep 24 with 2918 viewsStanisgod

Drinking ban at football grounds on 11:54 - Sep 24 by DavieQPR

Then a pee.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:24 - Sep 24 with 2864 viewsMrSheen

I've been at games at Twickenham where the same people get up to buy beer four times in a game. It's a no from me (or at the least, close the bars 5 minutes after kick off, until 5 minutes before half time, same again when the second half starts).
Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:28 - Sep 24 with 2846 viewsMrSheen

Possible solution, Japanese imports. We might struggle with the bit where you pass the money down the row, and your beer and change comes back!

[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 13:30]
Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:36 - Sep 24 with 2819 viewsstowmarketrange

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:28 - Sep 24 by MrSheen

Possible solution, Japanese imports. We might struggle with the bit where you pass the money down the row, and your beer and change comes back!

[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 13:30]

So when we’ve scored a last minute winner we can just throw her up in the air.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:43 - Sep 24 with 2797 viewsLythamR

its a No from me, the word has moved on, its impractical.
Drinking ban at football grounds on 14:36 - Sep 24 with 2700 viewsslmrstid

Dead against it for all the reasons mentioned above.

Slightly depresses me that there is also this prevailing attitude (to me) from our Government of "sort the commoners out with beer and they'll be happy".

Might be harsh but its the way I feel on things I read at times!
Drinking ban at football grounds on 15:25 - Sep 24 with 2633 viewsMick_S

Drinking ban at football grounds on 13:36 - Sep 24 by stowmarketrange

So when we’ve scored a last minute winner we can just throw her up in the air.

Like it’s her birthday. That’s a great idea.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Drinking ban at football grounds on 15:30 - Sep 24 with 2626 viewstoboboly

Drinking ban at football grounds on 12:23 - Sep 24 by Konk

As a pis shead who has always goes to the pub before and after games, I'm completely against this. As others have said, it will just end up with dic kheads throwing pints everywhere. It's already got to the point where loads of people can't be ar sed to use concourses at half-time because of muppets filming each other throwing beer about, and the last thing I want to be doing after a goal is having a row with some dopey teenager who's just slung half-a-pint over my coat.

It's going to be very messy, lead to bother, and be a wear-out. Maybe if the kiddies who like throwing pints about all go in a special paddling pool section or something it could work, but otherwise, no ta.

Massively in favour of safe-standing, but I think this would be a major negative.

In that article, Dulwich Hamlet say they rely on alcohol sales to help the club stay afloat. I can believe that as their bar is excellent and was busy all game. I went to a game there a couple of years ago, and most of the crowd were 30+ and not really your beer-chucking kiddie demographic.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 12:37]

Also Dulwich are non-league. It is a completely different ball game.

No to beers in seats from me due to the reasons mentioned.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024