Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… 20:32 - Oct 12 with 11960 viewsjoe90

I watched a really good documentary about Nirvana’s first UK tour and it got me thinking about how all the great bands stated life doing small gigs and for the fans attending it must have been a great buzz being at the start of something special.

So which great bands/artist have you seen play live either at the beginning of their career or in their prime?

I’m sure some of you must have some great stories.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 00:16 - Oct 13 with 1900 viewsjohncharles

Has to be B B King the few times he played in London.
Saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions at their best at the Clarendon Small venue huge sound.

Strong and stable my arse.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 08:56 - Oct 13 with 1787 viewstoboboly

I'll also add Edwin Starr in around '97 - immense

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:16 - Oct 13 with 1777 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:32 - Oct 12 by ted_hendrix

Rolling Stones-Wembley & Twickenham.

ZZ Top Brixton Academy. (tightest live band I've ever seen)

Free Bracknell Sport Center 70's just before Paul Kossoff OD'd.

The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford.

Hawkwind (my god) I've never seen so much drug taking at a gig before or since, Reading top rank 70's. a WTF of a night.

Ten Years After at Reading Uni 70's. (335).

AC/DC at Wembley.

Ray Davis solo tour at the Anvil Basingstoke, he was just brilliant and by far England's best lyricist, nobody comes close or ever will do.

Velvet Revolver were a disappointment, I only went to see Slash.

Joe Walsh and a cast of thousands at the 'Strat Pack' at Wembley, I'd safely say Dave Gilmour was the best that night, the gig was in honour of the Fender Stratocaster.

Peter Green at Basingstoke, glad I got to see the great Man but he wasn't 'on It' anymore and didnt quite cut it that night which was sad, did get to shake his hand after the gig.

To few to mention.

Raspberry Blonde.

"The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford."

Ted,

The Dubliners were booked to play in our family's hotel/club in West Cork back in the 80's. Professionals to a man, they all arrived suited and booted many hours in advance. Except for Ronnie Drew who, rumour had it, hadn't managed to pass the first bar on the way into our town. My Dad dispatched two men to haul him from the pub, give him a room, and put him to bed to sober up.

That night, there was no sign of Ronnie in the club or in our hotel and the crowd were baying for the long-overdue headline act. He was tracked down to a bed in a neighbouring hotel. This time, Dad didn't subcontract the job. He calmly walked into the neighbouring hotel, got his room number, kicked the door down, hauled Ronnie from the bed and dumped him into a cold bath.

A newly minted Ronnie was on stage soon after.

I asked my Dad many years later if Ronnie played well.

"No. He was shite".
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 10:53]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:44 - Oct 13 with 1742 viewsdmm

Excellent thread. Great gigs always stay with us.

As others have said there are too many to list but here's four that are certainly up there for me:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon tour at Earls Court, May 1973. Even sat at the back of that cavernous venue it was a massive spectacle which included a flying plane crashing onto the stage.
Dr Feelgood - The Windsor Castle, Harrow, September 1974. Still to this day, I've never been to a gig with such an electric atmosphere as this one.
Yellowjackets - Ronnie Scotts, November 2011. Classy jazz in a classy venue with my lovely family.
Punch Brothers - Barbican, November 2018. Genre bending progressive acoustic bluegrass band using just one mic in London's most comfortable concert hall.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:47 - Oct 13 with 1728 viewsheadhoops

Circa September 1976 - The Clash, The Pistols, Siouxsie - 100 Club.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 1699 viewsMrSheen

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:47 - Oct 13 by headhoops

Circa September 1976 - The Clash, The Pistols, Siouxsie - 100 Club.

In the lead!!!!

Talking Heads at the Hammersmith Palais, supported by U2, 1980. Tickets for that might cost a few quid now.

The Pogues at the Mean Fiddler about 1984, mayhem.

The Cure at the Marquee, 1979. Robert Smith in an M&S v-neck jumper, getting covered in gob.

Misty in Roots at ULU, 1980. Sensational, supported by the Thompson Twins, who were bobbins.

Fela Kuti at Brixton Academy, 1985.

The Smiths somewhere in Brixton 1984, smaller than the Academy, bigger than the Fridge.

Random support acts, The Specials, Big Country, Simple Minds.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:15 - Oct 13 with 1697 viewssaxbend

I saw Michael Brecker in 2001/2. I missed our win against Wigan for it. Was well worth it.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:25 - Oct 13 with 1676 viewsdsw2509

Stevie Wonder at Wembley Arena in 1980. He played for over 3 hours and the place was bouncing. Honourable mentions for Rod Stewart and the Small Faces (Hammersmith Odeon early 1970’s) and for Ian Dury at Kentish Town (early 90’s, he wasn’t well, but it was still brilliant).
Login to get fewer ads

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:28 - Oct 13 with 1660 viewsTheChef

Led Zeppelin reunion gig at the O2 in 2007 - was incredibly lucky to get a ticket for that one.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:31 - Oct 13 with 1659 viewscollegeranger

Highlights for me
David Bowie - several times from Milton Keynes x2 to Wembley Arena and Wembely Stadium
Echo and The Bunnymen 1983 Royal Albert Hall
1984 The Smiths at Guildford Civic Hall - small band starting out called James were the support
U2 Wembley 87 Joshua Tree Tour - Lou Reed and The Pogues supported
The Killers at Royal Albert Hall - the one that was filmed for the DVD
Kings of Leon - private concert in Vegas
Recently Banquet Records in Kingston have been putting on small and acoustic shows at the the old Odeon now Pryzm nightclub in Kingston. Seen Elbow, Texas, Foals, The Specials, Ride and most special The Who fortheir smallest gig since 1970!

My current favourite live artist is John Bramwell (ex front man of I am Kloot). Outstanding singer songwriter and raconteur!
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:32 - Oct 13 with 1655 viewsCorbyQPR

Not been to as many as some but my favs have been;

Oasis @ MK Bowl 2005 (Zootons supported & were great as well)
Stereophonics @ Wembley 1999
Jamiroquai @ Wembley 2007

all excellent
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:42 - Oct 13 with 1632 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:31 - Oct 13 by collegeranger

Highlights for me
David Bowie - several times from Milton Keynes x2 to Wembley Arena and Wembely Stadium
Echo and The Bunnymen 1983 Royal Albert Hall
1984 The Smiths at Guildford Civic Hall - small band starting out called James were the support
U2 Wembley 87 Joshua Tree Tour - Lou Reed and The Pogues supported
The Killers at Royal Albert Hall - the one that was filmed for the DVD
Kings of Leon - private concert in Vegas
Recently Banquet Records in Kingston have been putting on small and acoustic shows at the the old Odeon now Pryzm nightclub in Kingston. Seen Elbow, Texas, Foals, The Specials, Ride and most special The Who fortheir smallest gig since 1970!

My current favourite live artist is John Bramwell (ex front man of I am Kloot). Outstanding singer songwriter and raconteur!

Thanks for the tip, college. Just looked him up and I love this first song I found.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 10:45 - Oct 13 with 1621 viewsSydneyRs

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:16 - Oct 13 by BrianMcCarthy

"The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford."

Ted,

The Dubliners were booked to play in our family's hotel/club in West Cork back in the 80's. Professionals to a man, they all arrived suited and booted many hours in advance. Except for Ronnie Drew who, rumour had it, hadn't managed to pass the first bar on the way into our town. My Dad dispatched two men to haul him from the pub, give him a room, and put him to bed to sober up.

That night, there was no sign of Ronnie in the club or in our hotel and the crowd were baying for the long-overdue headline act. He was tracked down to a bed in a neighbouring hotel. This time, Dad didn't subcontract the job. He calmly walked into the neighbouring hotel, got his room number, kicked the door down, hauled Ronnie from the bed and dumped him into a cold bath.

A newly minted Ronnie was on stage soon after.

I asked my Dad many years later if Ronnie played well.

"No. He was shite".
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 10:53]

Haha, that's brilliant!
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:02 - Oct 13 with 1592 viewslondonscottish

I was on the guestlist for the Kilburn National gig on Nirvana's Nevermind tour. The brother of a mate of mine had tour managed them on their previous tour and they asked for him by name. My mates band supported them.

Between the tour being planned and the gig happening, Nevermind had been released and had gone platinum. I got there late and there was a MASSIVE queue of people claiming to be on the list. My & my OH were amongst the very last to be admitted.

The gig was immense. They re-created their studio recordings note perfectly. I've never been to a gig to this day where the entire dance floor was a mosh pit. Front to back, left to right.

A fantastic gig and a high water mark in my live music experiences just as house music was about to take me off in a completely different direction.....

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:10 - Oct 13 with 1576 viewsjohann28

Rory Gallagher Hammersmith 1977 I think. I can still hear it.

Sensational Alex Harvey band same venue 1976

Pink Floyd playing Wish you were Here at Knebworth 1975
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:11 - Oct 13 with 1572 viewsQPROslo

Seeing Pink Floyd setting up a white sheet back stage and a projector at the back of the wooden floored Eel Pie Island hotel for the 1st light show with music I'd ever seen back in late 66/ early 67, when they weren't well known was pretty special. Think they were only the support band.

Greatest show I've ever seen must be Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band playing 4 hours non-stop in a packed 66K football stadium in Gothenburg in about 1985, with a sudden thunder storm hitting during their rendition of Thunder Road.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:13 - Oct 13 with 1570 viewsjohann28

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:44 - Oct 13 by dmm

Excellent thread. Great gigs always stay with us.

As others have said there are too many to list but here's four that are certainly up there for me:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon tour at Earls Court, May 1973. Even sat at the back of that cavernous venue it was a massive spectacle which included a flying plane crashing onto the stage.
Dr Feelgood - The Windsor Castle, Harrow, September 1974. Still to this day, I've never been to a gig with such an electric atmosphere as this one.
Yellowjackets - Ronnie Scotts, November 2011. Classy jazz in a classy venue with my lovely family.
Punch Brothers - Barbican, November 2018. Genre bending progressive acoustic bluegrass band using just one mic in London's most comfortable concert hall.

A truly impressive list. Was also at the Dr Feelgood gig as it happens, and totally agree
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 11:16]
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:14 - Oct 13 with 1565 viewsderbyhoop

Quite a few for me.

Free at the Farx club in Southall, while still at school (1970?). All Right Now had just been released. The venue held about 200. I reckon there were about 400 in that night. Couldn't move and chest was still thumping 2 days later.
Led Zeppelin @ Wembley Arena (1973?) with support from Stone The Crows ( incl Maggie Bell) and Home.
Arcade Fire in Birmingham (2013)
Pink Floyd at Live 8 in 2005.
Coldplay at Allianz Arena, Sydney (2019)
U2 anywhere. Seen them 5 times.

First ever gig was The Nice at Festival Hall. Support was an up and coming band called Yes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:16 - Oct 13 with 1561 viewsthemodfather

the jam live were a powerful three piece, a different ban live and i saw them at the Ally Pally pavilion march 82 and twice at wembley arena in 82 when they split ( poor sound in there ) the Ally Pally was a cracking night.
enjoyed the WHO about 5 yrs ago at hyde park as they bashed thru their catalogue .
Weller at the albert hall approx 94 , he was on top form and played a blistering set .
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:21 - Oct 13 with 1546 viewsBostonR

Dec - 1977 - Status Quo, Tour: Rockin' All Over the World, Hammersmith Odeon. They were a brilliant rock band - no-one could touch them.
Feb - 1978 - The Sweet, Hammersmith Odeon. Played for 2.5hrs. great songs!
Oct - 1978 - Ramones, Hammersmith Odeon. Fecking mental.
Nov - 1978 - AC/DC, Tour: If You Want Blood , Hammersmith Odeon. Brilliant and LOUD.
Jan - 1979 - Rory Gallagher, : Hammersmith Odeon. The Master & Commander guitar player.
Feb - 1979 - UFO, Tour: Strangers in the Night , Hammersmith Odeon. At their peak.
Dec - 1979 - AC/DC, Tour: Highway to Hell , Hammersmith Odeon. Bon was majestic.
Oct - 1980 - Budgie, Tour: Power Supply , Hammersmith Odeon. They should have been huge.
Oct -1981 - ZZ Top, Tour: El Loco-Motion , Venue: Hammersmith Odeon. Incredible show - they were out of this world.
Dec -1982 - U2, - Lyceum Ballroom, London. They just went for it!
July - 1985 - Bruce Springsteen, Tour: Born in the U.S.A. Wembley Stadium. 3hr show.
July 1986 - Queen, Wembley Stadium. Freddie was on fire.
July- 1988 - Prince, Lovesexy Tour, Wembley Arena. Genius at work.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:28 - Oct 13 with 1521 viewsSonofpugwash

Jimi Hendrix,Chislehurst Caves 1966.
Cream, Saville Theatre 1967
Mahavishnu Orchestra - best band of musicians ever to tread the boards.Rainbow.1973.
King Crimson,Lyceum Ballroom on The Strand,Midnight Court 12-6 am.1969

etc.etc.....
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 11:32]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:02 - Oct 13 with 1477 viewsBlackCrowe

Stones at the Astoria '2003
Prince at Roundhouse 2014
Aswad, Meanwhile Gardens Carnival '84
Zep - O2 2007
Gregory Isaacs - Negril Beach, Jamaica '92
David Byrne, Hammersmith 2018
Ravi and Anoushka Shankar at the Barbican 2003
Ramones at the Lyceum 1985
Neil Young, Desert Trip Califonia 2016
Black Crowes at Fillmore SF 2010
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 12:10]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:09 - Oct 13 with 1463 viewsdmm

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:14 - Oct 13 by derbyhoop

Quite a few for me.

Free at the Farx club in Southall, while still at school (1970?). All Right Now had just been released. The venue held about 200. I reckon there were about 400 in that night. Couldn't move and chest was still thumping 2 days later.
Led Zeppelin @ Wembley Arena (1973?) with support from Stone The Crows ( incl Maggie Bell) and Home.
Arcade Fire in Birmingham (2013)
Pink Floyd at Live 8 in 2005.
Coldplay at Allianz Arena, Sydney (2019)
U2 anywhere. Seen them 5 times.

First ever gig was The Nice at Festival Hall. Support was an up and coming band called Yes.

I was listening to Free over the weekend having been asked about them by one of my sons. Then had an extended conversation on my WhatsApp QPR mates group on what a bloody good band they were. Really regret never seeing them live.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:24 - Oct 13 with 1423 viewsterryb

An easy one for me.

I've seen Paul Simon twice this century & both times he was magical. I do admit to a little bit of bias though!. I am very envious of my brother who paid 5p (one shilling) to see Paul at The Trapdoor folk club, Chesham before he was well known. He spent a couple of years in the UK on this circuit.

Happy 80th birthday today Paul
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:28 - Oct 13 with 1407 viewsterryb

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:09 - Oct 13 by dmm

I was listening to Free over the weekend having been asked about them by one of my sons. Then had an extended conversation on my WhatsApp QPR mates group on what a bloody good band they were. Really regret never seeing them live.

I saw Free at Dunstable Civic Hall shortly after All Right Now had been at number one.

They were very good & they honoured all the bookings they had prior to becoming well known.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024