Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City (bang in trouble) 19:06 - Dec 28 with 13530 viewsJames_Paddocks

That Nahki Wells transfer looking like an astute bit of business...

Points deduction inbound?

Rangers really did get their act together at the perfect time.

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 23:44 - Dec 29 with 2795 viewsBoston

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 19:28 - Dec 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

No idea what SteveC has said, but wage caps punish the workers not the owners.

Presuming they are legal, enforceable, and fairly distributed, they still wouldn’t end assert stripping, debt stacking, or making a club bankrupt in any way.

Not saying huge wages aren’t a problem because they are. I read a recommendation once on a parliamentary paper stating that 40% of wages to net income was a reasonable and sustainable figure. Why not start there?

The Bazza solution is enforce FFP properly, declare all sports clubs CICs, then create a law making bankruptcy of a CIC (in this case a football club) by wilful means, or incompetence a custodial sentence. This covers all bases, is pretty loophole proof, and takes the burden off the EFL and puts it toe CPS instead. The CPS have no conflict of interest or commercial considerations to enforcing FFP like the EFL/FA/PL do.

This would deter the wronguns and focus the well meaning, and to SteveC’s delight would naturally result in players getting paid less.

I'm fairly sure SteveC was saying that FFP is a load of bollocks.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 06:10 - Dec 30 with 2660 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 22:24 - Dec 29 by Hastings_Hoops

Genuine question… did Bernie and Flávio make a profit?

…controversial, but they left the club in a better financial and league position than they found it… it was the new guard that messed things up.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 22:27]

Doubt it very much, although I’d argue that AirAsia did through the exposure the Premiership gave them to the huge Malaysian audience.

Always felt like Bernie and Flávio treated us like they would treat a £300m yacht. Extravagant purchase to show off to your friends.

However, if there was some kind of anti mismanagement law, the previous holders wouldn’t have needed a bailout.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 06:12 - Dec 30 with 2659 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 23:16 - Dec 29 by MrSheen

So, bringing back debtors’ jail. Delightfully 19th century of you, Baz.

There weren’t any slum mill owners in debtors prison Sheen, but you know that.

Ruin a football club, do time.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 06:12 - Dec 30 with 2657 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 23:44 - Dec 29 by Boston

Well on that we half agree.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 08:49 - Dec 30 with 2497 viewsstevec

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 23:44 - Dec 29 by Boston

As you say.

Baz either struggles with comprehension or he’s cancelled me (living the dream!).
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 09:04 - Dec 30 with 2483 viewsTheChef

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 23:29 - Dec 29 by stowmarketrange

Old argument,but they left at the worst possible time.We were starting from a weaker position that the play off winners Swansea.They left it so late to sell to Fernandes that all the targets that Warnock would’ve planned for had already gone to other clubs,because of the uncertainties surrounding the take over.
The only ones left were the ones that nobody else wanted.
It’s a bit like starting your Christmas shopping at 5pm on Christmas Eve and hoping you can get what you want,but all the good presents have gone.But you’ve got a full wallet to buy something to keep everyone happy.

Always a bit of a sliding doors moment for me, when Fernandes took over, as it was just before the transfer window shut and so we made a few questionable signings (e.g. Barton, Anton Ferdinand).

Had the transfer window been missed then there would have been more trust placed in the group of players who got us promoted and I'd like to think overall would have performed better than the squad we ended up with.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 09:24 - Dec 30 with 2444 viewsCiderwithRsie

Old argument,but they left at the worst possible time.We were starting from a weaker position that the play off winners Swansea.They left it so late to sell to Fernandes that all the targets that Warnock would’ve planned for had already gone to other clubs,because of the uncertainties surrounding the take over.
It’s a bit like starting your Christmas shopping at 5pm on Christmas Eve and hoping you can get what you want,but all the good presents have gone.But you’ve got a full wallet to buy something to keep everyone happy.

I'll near really forgive them for that.

Everything else about them was grim, but they had saved the club (I believe we'd have disappeared if the ABC loan had been called in and the ground sold at the same time s going into admin for the second time in a few years) so I supposed they were entitled to play about with it.

But after the Mittals, Warnock and Ishan Saksena had got us promoted, Briatore and Ecclestone screwed us up so they could take a profit they hadn't earned.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 10:43 - Dec 30 with 2326 viewsQPR_Jim

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 06:10 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Doubt it very much, although I’d argue that AirAsia did through the exposure the Premiership gave them to the huge Malaysian audience.

Always felt like Bernie and Flávio treated us like they would treat a £300m yacht. Extravagant purchase to show off to your friends.

However, if there was some kind of anti mismanagement law, the previous holders wouldn’t have needed a bailout.

If you consider the initial fee, the losses they've written off, the FFP fine they're paying and the ÂŁ1m a month ongoing costs, it's a hell of a big cost for 3x9months of advertising.

On the wage cap I'm not sure if setting a limit for the whole squad can be considered as limiting an individual's earning potential. Especially when those who are likely to be at the top end have ways out (Move to a premiership team or do their job to extremely well and get promoted with their current club). The players can also have sponsorship deals or other revenue streams (media work) etc.

I think behind unfit owners, players agents and salaries are the next biggest issue that football has. With all the money flooding into football it's somehow become more expensive for fans, the owners more often than not lose money (hence this thread) so all that additional money and some more appears to be going to players. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well paid but I think there should be something to limit the inflation in wages.
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:03 - Dec 30 with 2273 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 10:43 - Dec 30 by QPR_Jim

If you consider the initial fee, the losses they've written off, the FFP fine they're paying and the ÂŁ1m a month ongoing costs, it's a hell of a big cost for 3x9months of advertising.

On the wage cap I'm not sure if setting a limit for the whole squad can be considered as limiting an individual's earning potential. Especially when those who are likely to be at the top end have ways out (Move to a premiership team or do their job to extremely well and get promoted with their current club). The players can also have sponsorship deals or other revenue streams (media work) etc.

I think behind unfit owners, players agents and salaries are the next biggest issue that football has. With all the money flooding into football it's somehow become more expensive for fans, the owners more often than not lose money (hence this thread) so all that additional money and some more appears to be going to players. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well paid but I think there should be something to limit the inflation in wages.

Maybe.

It’s difficult to measure I guess. I’m being polite suggesting they made a profit because otherwise we’d have to assume they are in it either for ego or land assets. Both depressing prospects.

Others have suggested that it may have been the Malaysian state laundering money or political projection through them (like Saudis at Newcastle and UAE at Man City) but my libel lawyer has his hands full so I’m definitely not suggesting that.

The glazers unloaded £800m of debt onto United. A wage cap wouldn’t help that. A potential loophole off the top of my head is to pay huge sign on fees instead, or shares in their base companies.

Changes to football finances need to be done holistically, under a wide umbrella, and universally across the entire football world. Targeting huge wages today but leaving assert stripping or debt dumping alone has the same effect of killing clubs which is the point of any legislation right?
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:27 - Dec 30 with 2227 viewsQPR_Jim

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:03 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Maybe.

It’s difficult to measure I guess. I’m being polite suggesting they made a profit because otherwise we’d have to assume they are in it either for ego or land assets. Both depressing prospects.

Others have suggested that it may have been the Malaysian state laundering money or political projection through them (like Saudis at Newcastle and UAE at Man City) but my libel lawyer has his hands full so I’m definitely not suggesting that.

The glazers unloaded £800m of debt onto United. A wage cap wouldn’t help that. A potential loophole off the top of my head is to pay huge sign on fees instead, or shares in their base companies.

Changes to football finances need to be done holistically, under a wide umbrella, and universally across the entire football world. Targeting huge wages today but leaving assert stripping or debt dumping alone has the same effect of killing clubs which is the point of any legislation right?

I wouldn't rule out any motive, if there was an alternative motive to buying us then it wouldn't be revealed until it's too late. Expensive advertising, wouldn't be the biggest mistake they've made. Ego, quite possibly, TF was front and center for quite a few years. Land assets, the do want to move stadium which is underpinned by sound logic based of FFP and costs of running LR coupled with limited uses, however it doesn't preclude them trying to take a profit out of the situation.

I agree a holistic approach is required, whether that can be achieved by tweaking the current FFP rules is debatable. One of the issues with FFP that's been raised by Derby is that they can fiddle the accounts and delay punishment, we need something that is more direct so offences can be clamped down on sooner.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:44 - Dec 30 with 2182 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:27 - Dec 30 by QPR_Jim

I wouldn't rule out any motive, if there was an alternative motive to buying us then it wouldn't be revealed until it's too late. Expensive advertising, wouldn't be the biggest mistake they've made. Ego, quite possibly, TF was front and center for quite a few years. Land assets, the do want to move stadium which is underpinned by sound logic based of FFP and costs of running LR coupled with limited uses, however it doesn't preclude them trying to take a profit out of the situation.

I agree a holistic approach is required, whether that can be achieved by tweaking the current FFP rules is debatable. One of the issues with FFP that's been raised by Derby is that they can fiddle the accounts and delay punishment, we need something that is more direct so offences can be clamped down on sooner.

Agree with most of that.

The stadium thing is a worry for me, because once LR is gone, it’s gone. I’d hate to be sat in a Derby County template stadium off the M40 like Coventry or Reading fans in a half filled stadium waiting for Ariana Grande or the Miami Dolphins to fill our coffers every other week.

Luton have a great strategy and their stadium looks fantastic.

All in all I’m tired of the pantomime of one billionaire putting us in shit and another taking us out of it. It’s exhausting living at the whim of psychopaths and egotists. It’s easy to take when it’s my airline, supermarket, or search engine because I can just put my loyalties elsewhere. I can’t do that with my football club.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 11:50]
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:08 - Dec 30 with 2034 viewsStainrod

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 11:44 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agree with most of that.

The stadium thing is a worry for me, because once LR is gone, it’s gone. I’d hate to be sat in a Derby County template stadium off the M40 like Coventry or Reading fans in a half filled stadium waiting for Ariana Grande or the Miami Dolphins to fill our coffers every other week.

Luton have a great strategy and their stadium looks fantastic.

All in all I’m tired of the pantomime of one billionaire putting us in shit and another taking us out of it. It’s exhausting living at the whim of psychopaths and egotists. It’s easy to take when it’s my airline, supermarket, or search engine because I can just put my loyalties elsewhere. I can’t do that with my football club.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 11:50]

Regarding psychopaths, Briatore and Ecclestone were quite unlovable people for sure. But Fernandes is as far removed from the pantomime villain businessman as you can get - his crime (if crime it be) was incredible nativity rather than cynicism.

But leaving aside what the owners might be like as people (not really relevant) would rather a billionaire than a relative pauper (like Paladini) owning us.

Fans (I'm not saying specifically you) often say they don't like rich owners but then come the next defeat its often "the chairman needs to put his hand in his pocket. Why can't we sign a fourth right wing back" etc.

As a fanbase we sometimes want it both ways.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:17 - Dec 30 with 2010 viewsStainrod

By the way, on Wells - given City's financial troubles and that Wells hardly gets any game time and must be one of their highest earners, it wouldn't completely amaze me if they loan him to us in Jan until the end of the season. He can have no resale value and it gets a big wage off their books. Plus it appears he is still in text communication with Fernandes who likes a star striker signing - as we saw with Austin.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:17 - Dec 30 with 2010 viewsHastings_Hoops

But back to the question - did Bernie and Flávio make a profit on buying and selling QPR? Probably?
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:33 - Dec 30 with 1980 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:08 - Dec 30 by Stainrod

Regarding psychopaths, Briatore and Ecclestone were quite unlovable people for sure. But Fernandes is as far removed from the pantomime villain businessman as you can get - his crime (if crime it be) was incredible nativity rather than cynicism.

But leaving aside what the owners might be like as people (not really relevant) would rather a billionaire than a relative pauper (like Paladini) owning us.

Fans (I'm not saying specifically you) often say they don't like rich owners but then come the next defeat its often "the chairman needs to put his hand in his pocket. Why can't we sign a fourth right wing back" etc.

As a fanbase we sometimes want it both ways.

Not this guy.

Would rather be a Wimbledon than a Citizen.

Being a billionaire by definition suggest psychopath tendencies . What sort of person sits on wealth that could lift millions out of poverty but doesn’t.

Probably one for the Commie Bastard thread so I’ll quit now.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:41]
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:44 - Dec 30 with 1953 viewsDieByYourSide

Can't see Wells coming back in January. Already got one loanee up top not getting regular minutes and one striker struggling in his second stint at the club.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:46]

Poll: And it's hi ho

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:46 - Dec 30 with 1940 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:17 - Dec 30 by Hastings_Hoops

But back to the question - did Bernie and Flávio make a profit on buying and selling QPR? Probably?

I think they were lucky. Only three teams a year has their value go up enough to create a worthwhile profit. Imagine we had Pearson or someone instead of Warnock managing that incredibly talented squad.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:47 - Dec 30 with 1934 viewsPunteR

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 10:43 - Dec 30 by QPR_Jim

They shouldn't be that well paid. Their wages are ridiculous.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:50]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 14:39 - Dec 30 with 1808 viewsHunterhoop

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 13:33 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Not this guy.

Would rather be a Wimbledon than a Citizen.

Being a billionaire by definition suggest psychopath tendencies . What sort of person sits on wealth that could lift millions out of poverty but doesn’t.

Probably one for the Commie Bastard thread so I’ll quit now.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:41]

Whilst I share the broad principle, Baz, and there are rich philanthropists trying to do just what you say, it isn’t so simple as you make out.

One of the great cons of capitalism, private wealth, is that much of it is based on assets not liquidity, in terms of cash in the bank.

So whilst Fernandes, Trump, and other “billionaires”, aren’t exactly short of a few Bob in their personal accounts, they aren’t sitting there with a billion or two at their disposal.

The assets they own make them billionaires. But the assets alone don’t exist purely for them. Most, if not, all provide direct and indirect employment for thousands, if not tens of thousands of other people, and, therefore some degree (much smaller) of wealth to others. That asset may be worth a billion, but it’s not real personal, liquid wealth that could be used for philanthropy unless they sold the asset. But such activity risks impacting the levels of employment and wealth being generated directly and indirectly for others.

Almost all private buyers would need to acquire such assets with loans from banks, or it would be PE houses using investors’ capital. In both scenarios, acquisitions only happen if there is the ability to make more profit (and generate strong cash flow) from the asset to pay for the interest on the loan or make a good return on the investors’ capital. Doing so, and the general pursuit of unfettered growth, often comes at the expense of the workers and suppliers. Everyone gets squeezed or the consumer gets squeezed, sometimes both, meaning, ultimately the public pay.

So, it’s not like most billionaires can dip into their personal pocket to lift millions out of poverty. They basically operate huge accounting models, way above my head, that provide them enough liquid wealth to live a lavish lifestyle whilst juggling assets to retain/grow their value.

I’m very sympathetic to the view that capitalism has got ahead of itself and gone too far down the line of “growth” being the only concern at all costs and to be obtained as quickly as possible. I still think people having the ability to grow their personal wealth is a good thing as it provides hope to individuals and has been shown throughout the 20th century to drive improved standards of living for the majority. However, capitalism needs state intervention to ensure it does not drive wealth creation at the expense of poverty creation and environmental damage. Call it capitalism with a conscience. Now is the time this agenda needs to be pushed.

However, whilst I respect socialists, I do think they’d help create a world closer to what they want by first pushing capitalism with a conscience than simply pushing socialism.

Whether the UK electorate (let alone others) is ready for that, as well as whether we have the right electoral system to deliver it, is still highly questionable. Instead we seem to have gone down the path of creating enemies, and fighting each other on topics that are pure window dressing to distract.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 23:14]
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 14:48 - Dec 30 with 1778 viewsloftboy

Meanwhile the scum announce an annual loss close to ÂŁ150 million, surely somewhere down the line football is about to go bang in a big way.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 14:54 - Dec 30 with 1755 viewsHunterhoop

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 14:48 - Dec 30 by loftboy

Meanwhile the scum announce an annual loss close to ÂŁ150 million, surely somewhere down the line football is about to go bang in a big way.

Cash(flow) is king, not profit, loftboy.

If Abramovich was got at and disappeared…then they have problem.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 15:38 - Dec 30 with 1708 viewsdavman

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 19:28 - Dec 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

No idea what SteveC has said, but wage caps punish the workers not the owners.

Presuming they are legal, enforceable, and fairly distributed, they still wouldn’t end assert stripping, debt stacking, or making a club bankrupt in any way.

Not saying huge wages aren’t a problem because they are. I read a recommendation once on a parliamentary paper stating that 40% of wages to net income was a reasonable and sustainable figure. Why not start there?

The Bazza solution is enforce FFP properly, declare all sports clubs CICs, then create a law making bankruptcy of a CIC (in this case a football club) by wilful means, or incompetence a custodial sentence. This covers all bases, is pretty loophole proof, and takes the burden off the EFL and puts it toe CPS instead. The CPS have no conflict of interest or commercial considerations to enforcing FFP like the EFL/FA/PL do.

This would deter the wronguns and focus the well meaning, and to SteveC’s delight would naturally result in players getting paid less.

This simply will not work. Despite your wishes, clubs are NOT "owned" by the fans and never will be if you want your team to compete in the top 4-5 leagues in the land. The "fans" won't pay the debts, but also wouldn't be able to fight the urge to gamble on that last striker, you know, the one that will get 30 goals next season and get you promoted. Chris Wright was a fan; Richard Thompson wasn't. Despite his many faults, Thompson's model was sane and worked; Wright's, like Fernandes', was not sane and, er, didn't work.

As others have said, whether we like it or not, the world has become speculate to accumulate - borrow and worry about how it'll be paid back later. Christ, in the middle of a pandemic, we have to "look after" those with the "mis-fortune" not to be able to go to work, which means borrowing yet more money the COUNTRY has not got, so a fine example we're being set there.

One solution to this, which would be hindered by Hunter's point - ringfence the money or assets that "fund" these owners "investments". In other words, if you haven't got the cash to give to the football club, give them the assets so that if YOUR gamble fails, they can pay back the debt with assets. If you have got the cash (or you get it by liquidising your assets) then, great, use that to pay the contracts you negotiate, or put the money in a ringfenced account so that the club knows that the bills can be paid.

Oh, and in this crazy world of football, wage caps will damage the owners too as they will not be able to use money to lure the *best* players to their club...

Also, most of these owners are based oversees, so it'd be interesting to see how extradition would work for the heinous crime of running a business into the ground. Yes, a business - in whatever ideal world a number of people want to live in, we are talking about a business. My wife loved Debenhams and other shops that have gone and I don't see anyone yelling for their owners to be put away. Fanciful Claptrap!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 15:55 - Dec 30 with 1656 viewsLanhoop

Yeah, anyone who would invest in something where success wasn't 100% in their control and where failure (without criminal intent) would result in doing porridge would have to be crazy. So crazy you wouldn't want them to invest.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 16:02 - Dec 30 with 1635 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 15:38 - Dec 30 by davman

This simply will not work. Despite your wishes, clubs are NOT "owned" by the fans and never will be if you want your team to compete in the top 4-5 leagues in the land. The "fans" won't pay the debts, but also wouldn't be able to fight the urge to gamble on that last striker, you know, the one that will get 30 goals next season and get you promoted. Chris Wright was a fan; Richard Thompson wasn't. Despite his many faults, Thompson's model was sane and worked; Wright's, like Fernandes', was not sane and, er, didn't work.

As others have said, whether we like it or not, the world has become speculate to accumulate - borrow and worry about how it'll be paid back later. Christ, in the middle of a pandemic, we have to "look after" those with the "mis-fortune" not to be able to go to work, which means borrowing yet more money the COUNTRY has not got, so a fine example we're being set there.

One solution to this, which would be hindered by Hunter's point - ringfence the money or assets that "fund" these owners "investments". In other words, if you haven't got the cash to give to the football club, give them the assets so that if YOUR gamble fails, they can pay back the debt with assets. If you have got the cash (or you get it by liquidising your assets) then, great, use that to pay the contracts you negotiate, or put the money in a ringfenced account so that the club knows that the bills can be paid.

Oh, and in this crazy world of football, wage caps will damage the owners too as they will not be able to use money to lure the *best* players to their club...

Also, most of these owners are based oversees, so it'd be interesting to see how extradition would work for the heinous crime of running a business into the ground. Yes, a business - in whatever ideal world a number of people want to live in, we are talking about a business. My wife loved Debenhams and other shops that have gone and I don't see anyone yelling for their owners to be put away. Fanciful Claptrap!

That’s a long paragraph reacting to a comment about fan ownership where fan ownership wasn’t mentioned.
Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 16:07 - Dec 30 with 1618 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bristol City (bang in trouble) on 15:55 - Dec 30 by Lanhoop

Yeah, anyone who would invest in something where success wasn't 100% in their control and where failure (without criminal intent) would result in doing porridge would have to be crazy. So crazy you wouldn't want them to invest.

That’s not really what I was suggesting. I don’t think merely owning a club that goes down the plug hole should result in prosecution.

Paying 120% of the club income in wages, transferring another companies debt, or assert stripping isn’t an unavoidable risk taken on by owners.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024