Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The team with and without Wilock 11:41 - Oct 25 with 4669 viewssdm1508

So I think it is fair to say when Wilock went down clutching his hamstring on that counterattack we all panicked. How long would he be out for and how would we cope. It turns out that we have been ok and handled it a lot better as a team compared towards the end of last season.

Do you think we play any differently as a team when he is in the side to when he isn't? Have we changed something that has helped us cope better this time in his absence. I know Chair has stepped up even more this time around, not just in his attacking play but his all-round game and closing down and pressing
The team with and without Wilock on 11:48 - Oct 25 with 3984 viewsTheChef

I put this season's success so far to having much more dynamic full backs.

Take Laird or Paal out of the side (god forbid both!) then we will struggle more with how we want to play.

Hence Willock being out injured this time has been less critical than at the end of last season.

Dieng is also vital.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The team with and without Wilock on 11:51 - Oct 25 with 3955 viewsnix

We've got much better options to come in this time. Tyler Roberts and Taylor Richards can both create and have pace that we desperately missed without Chris' last season. Also we lost Seny at the same time and Chair was a shadow of his current self after AFCON. But is even better this season than early last season. Johansen is not playing through injury this season, and we have other options in defensive midfield so we don't have to play him out of position.

Sinclair Armstrong also offers something different to what we had last season too. The explosive pace and strength added to a desire to play and win.

In short I don't think we can compare us with and without Willock last season and this one.
The team with and without Wilock on 11:52 - Oct 25 with 3951 viewsdaveB

The wheels had come off before Willock was injured last season but he's still a big miss. We've been fortunate with the home games being ones that were winnable without Willock, the next week looks a lot tougher so him coming back will be good for us
The team with and without Wilock on 11:53 - Oct 25 with 3939 viewsThGrimRanger

Willock is a huge miss as on his day he's unplayable at championship level

agree re fullbacks are more creative this season but also feel Ilias has improved his performances without Willock. He looked a little lost without him at the tail end of last season.

TheGrimRanger

The team with and without Wilock on 11:54 - Oct 25 with 3926 viewsLazyFan

Chair has stepped up massively. But it will be too much to ask him to sustain that season long. Goals wise Dykes is now helping out, but as we know that can dry up.

Willock is prem class, when he gets the ball, oppo teams back of or try to man-mark. But doubling up on him frees up Chair and gives space to Dkyes. Oppo teams know this so, they have a dilemma, those triangles between Chair, Willock and Paal test that resolve, mistakes get made or as we have seen top class skill from Willock gets us a goal from nothing.

zzzzzzzzzz

The team with and without Wilock on 12:34 - Oct 25 with 3826 viewsdmm

Agree with much that's been said, but I want to add that Beale's team organisation is also a factor. He has built on Warburton's work but has made the team more compact in defence and expansive in attack. There's less 'piss balling about' in the final third and players now can shoot from distance or run more directly into the box.

Everyone seems to know what their role is and how to cover for others out of position. And, it feels that most players from last season are 5-10% better than last season. Plus we have I think 12 different players who've scored so far.

Willock is obviously key for us but we're now not as relient on him as were last season.
The team with and without Wilock on 12:35 - Oct 25 with 3824 viewsTheChef

The team with and without Wilock on 11:53 - Oct 25 by ThGrimRanger

Willock is a huge miss as on his day he's unplayable at championship level

agree re fullbacks are more creative this season but also feel Ilias has improved his performances without Willock. He looked a little lost without him at the tail end of last season.

Yes fair comment about Chair improving as well.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The team with and without Wilock on 14:06 - Oct 25 with 3707 viewsHoopie

The team with and without Wilock on 11:48 - Oct 25 by TheChef

I put this season's success so far to having much more dynamic full backs.

Take Laird or Paal out of the side (god forbid both!) then we will struggle more with how we want to play.

Hence Willock being out injured this time has been less critical than at the end of last season.

Dieng is also vital.

Having two decent full backs has been massive, had we had them last season...
Login to get fewer ads

The team with and without Wilock on 14:11 - Oct 25 with 3688 viewsaston_hoop

My biggest concern is Laird being recalled in January, someone tell me there is no such clause allowing that. Because I could easily see a Kyle Walker scenario where he spends the second half of the season with a lower ranked Premier League team.

As for Willock, he's a top 3 player in the Championship on his day. Its just really nice to find other ways to play when he's not available. Be great to have him back Friday though, Birmingham under Eustace are a far better side than a lot of people have realised so far

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The team with and without Wilock on 14:37 - Oct 25 with 3587 viewssdm1508

So does any body think or noticed that we play differently when he is in the team compared to when he isn't? Do we attack in a different way? Have the fullbacks been more prominent whilst he was out of action
The team with and without Wilock on 17:55 - Oct 25 with 3356 viewsterryb

The team with and without Wilock on 14:11 - Oct 25 by aston_hoop

My biggest concern is Laird being recalled in January, someone tell me there is no such clause allowing that. Because I could easily see a Kyle Walker scenario where he spends the second half of the season with a lower ranked Premier League team.

As for Willock, he's a top 3 player in the Championship on his day. Its just really nice to find other ways to play when he's not available. Be great to have him back Friday though, Birmingham under Eustace are a far better side than a lot of people have realised so far

I think that any player can be recalled by their parent club during January, season long loan or not.
The team with and without Wilock on 18:03 - Oct 25 with 3320 viewsstainrods_elbow

The team with and without Wilock on 17:55 - Oct 25 by terryb

I think that any player can be recalled by their parent club during January, season long loan or not.

So I guess 'season-long loan' is a bit of a misnomer!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The team with and without Wilock on 18:10 - Oct 25 with 3323 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The team with and without Wilock on 14:37 - Oct 25 by sdm1508

So does any body think or noticed that we play differently when he is in the team compared to when he isn't? Do we attack in a different way? Have the fullbacks been more prominent whilst he was out of action

I think we look more compact when he's playing and Roberts too. The full backs aren't needed so high up the pitch I guess. The centre backs have been more exposed recently I thought.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The team with and without Wilock on 09:39 - Oct 26 with 3007 viewsfrancisbowles

The team with and without Wilock on 18:03 - Oct 25 by stainrods_elbow

So I guess 'season-long loan' is a bit of a misnomer!

Yes, it's a bit like a contract with a break clause. It works both ways, either side can invoke it.
The team with and without Wilock on 09:50 - Oct 26 with 2981 viewsgolborne

Chair hasn’t stepped up, he’s been the same for a few seasons, but our fans are often blinded when it comes finding a scapegoat when we’re not winning every week. He does, and has always done twice as much running without the ball than Willock, who tbf has improved massively on that front this season. We surprisingly found a way in Jan without him and I think that’s happening now without Willock. Key at the moment is not conceding first, as without Willock it’s a mountain chasing the game.
The team with and without Wilock on 16:59 - Oct 26 with 2781 viewsPinnerPaul

When he comes back do we think MB will play him, Chair AND Tim?
The team with and without Wilock on 17:15 - Oct 26 with 2758 viewsdmm

The team with and without Wilock on 16:59 - Oct 26 by PinnerPaul

When he comes back do we think MB will play him, Chair AND Tim?

Yes, and why ever not? I don't think Tim threatens our two 10s positions. He hooks to me to be a great no 8.
The team with and without Wilock on 00:06 - Oct 27 with 2521 viewsHAYESBOY

Hope it does not happen but if for some reason we lost Laird and Paal for a few games together, Mick might go to a back 3 with Uncs as right wing back and either Nico or Kakay on the left to get us through? Or Uncs left and Kakay right?

Smells like a trout farm in here

The team with and without Wilock on 00:32 - Oct 27 with 2476 viewsSydneyRs

The team with and without Wilock on 14:11 - Oct 25 by aston_hoop

Man Utd have started getting better results recently which probably makes this less likely.

As for Willock, we've done very well to keep going without him but he has a real x factor and hopefully can be available for most of the rest of the season.
The team with and without Wilock on 01:04 - Oct 27 with 2455 viewsLblock

The team with and without Wilock on 17:55 - Oct 25 by terryb

I know this is about Willock but the full backs ARE fundamental as to why him being out is less of a mare.

Laird is vital and seems to love being here.
So I’d be looking to tie up a permanent deal in the window - what do we think his value would be?
For me it’s a deal at anything up to £2Mill with hefty sell on % as a softener and/or a further payment of say £500k IF we get promoted. I’d also accept a first refusal but back clause.
I think he’d then go on the list as the best or first deal we’ve ever done with the Manky Reds.

As for Willock and the OP question it’s clear we are infinitely better when he’s available.
This year his absences have still been noticeable but as an attacking unit we are a bit more cohesive for reasons listed above by a few people and the squad being added to with a key component…. PACE.
Hoping Chrissy is back asap but only back when he’s right

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The team with and without Wilock on 06:11 - Oct 27 with 2388 viewsHAYESBOY

The team with and without Wilock on 01:04 - Oct 27 by Lblock

I know this is about Willock but the full backs ARE fundamental as to why him being out is less of a mare.

Laird is vital and seems to love being here.
So I’d be looking to tie up a permanent deal in the window - what do we think his value would be?
For me it’s a deal at anything up to £2Mill with hefty sell on % as a softener and/or a further payment of say £500k IF we get promoted. I’d also accept a first refusal but back clause.
I think he’d then go on the list as the best or first deal we’ve ever done with the Manky Reds.

As for Willock and the OP question it’s clear we are infinitely better when he’s available.
This year his absences have still been noticeable but as an attacking unit we are a bit more cohesive for reasons listed above by a few people and the squad being added to with a key component…. PACE.
Hoping Chrissy is back asap but only back when he’s right

Would love to sign Laird but I think the asking price would be higher, nearer 5m. Also money (FFP) we do not have to spend. If we got promoted, it would be a no brainer.
Think Beale will bring back Willock for the Norwich game and not Friday. Wont risk it.
We are a better side with Willock in, no doubt about it. Would concentrate on getting him to sign a new deal if we have wiggle room on any money available.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The team with and without Wilock on 07:35 - Oct 27 with 2336 viewsdmm

Slightly off topic but, Beale said in his pre match interview that ahead of the January window they're considering moving on several players who are not getting games. I think there are probably 5 contenders.

Masterson, Thomas and Shodipo, all of whose positions are well covered, must be favourites, and all of their contracts are up next year so it would be good for them to get a loan or permanent move.

It's possible Hamalainen might also be considered as Clarke-Salter would almost certainly play at LB should Paal not be available. However, there might not be many who'd want to take him and/or to where he'd be prepared to go.

The most intruiging one is Bonne. An additional striker must surely be on Beale's January wish list but I can imagine Bonne's departure being contingent on one coming in.
The team with and without Wilock on 07:45 - Oct 27 with 2312 viewsdistortR

The team with and without Wilock on 07:35 - Oct 27 by dmm

Slightly off topic but, Beale said in his pre match interview that ahead of the January window they're considering moving on several players who are not getting games. I think there are probably 5 contenders.

Masterson, Thomas and Shodipo, all of whose positions are well covered, must be favourites, and all of their contracts are up next year so it would be good for them to get a loan or permanent move.

It's possible Hamalainen might also be considered as Clarke-Salter would almost certainly play at LB should Paal not be available. However, there might not be many who'd want to take him and/or to where he'd be prepared to go.

The most intruiging one is Bonne. An additional striker must surely be on Beale's January wish list but I can imagine Bonne's departure being contingent on one coming in.

Bonne will probably do a Peter Odemwingie, the transfer version of being caught offside.
I bet his spuds are ready half an hour before his roast, too. Which isn't a metaphor...........
The team with and without Wilock on 08:38 - Oct 27 with 2212 viewsnumptydumpty

I think the loss of Seny last season had more of an impact than Willock and still would this season.

Certainly this season so much more strength in depth to squad also.

But ability to adapt to changing systems think has meant loss of Willock not had great impact on the team.

All good.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

The team with and without Wilock on 08:55 - Oct 27 with 2183 viewsozranger

I think we also need to consider one more thing about Chair. He has the WC to consider and wants not to repeat the AFCON disaster. The fact that Imran Louza is now out has increased Ilias' chance of playing as they are both generally no. 10s. Even so, it would be important for him to step up so as to make sure he is 'in the window' of getting game time at the WC and that would have been over the past months and not just now. This is his big chance to get that WC game time and thus put forward his case for a move to the PL. When Willock is back, I'd expect these two to really fire.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024