Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wine 21:55 - Nov 24 with 3454 viewsToast_R

Red or white, Rosè even?
How you buy yours, the odd bottle or in bulk?

Like a South African red me. Stellenrust Cinsault from Waitrose. Magic. I only buy a bottle once in a while mainly because the wife isnt much of a drinker and only likes Rosè.

Wine on 22:14 - Nov 24 with 2455 viewsMick_S

I just love wine. Especially the bullshit on the label that tells me what I should be tasting, none of which I can. If it makes you pull a face, it’s rubbish. There you go.

Edit. Looking forward to this one. Brought a bottle back from Budapest last week, utter rank, but I might see if it’s any better tonight.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2022 22:17]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wine on 22:19 - Nov 24 with 2450 viewscolinallcars

When I was eight, I found a bottle of wine in the cupboard that said on the label best drunk young. It's been all downhill since.
Seriously though, I like Alsace wines a lot.
Wine on 22:34 - Nov 24 with 2428 viewsdanehoop

I'll steal a Rachel Parris joke I heard this year at Edinburgh. There are two types of wine, "that will do" and "that's nice."

Never knowingly understood

Wine on 22:38 - Nov 24 with 2416 viewsBoston

I don't like wine. Gives me heartburn, immediately. I've been told I'm allergic to the preservatives, though I've consumed a couple of bottles of Prosecco at dinner and eyam fein.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wine on 22:41 - Nov 24 with 2412 viewsMick_S

Wine on 22:38 - Nov 24 by Boston

I don't like wine. Gives me heartburn, immediately. I've been told I'm allergic to the preservatives, though I've consumed a couple of bottles of Prosecco at dinner and eyam fein.

Prosecco is the tequila slammer of wine.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wine on 22:55 - Nov 24 with 2393 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I also love a wine tour anywhere on the planet and never leave with anything less than total respect. Given where I now am, I'm swimming in wine. When I was living in Myanmar I found a fantastic winery near Lake Heho. Red wines were OK, the white less so.

Rosé often find too sweet, so something dry and cold on a hot summers day is wonderful. White wines tend to give me a headache beyond a couple of glasses. I tend to drink a lot of red, preferring Riojas and Fitou (good for the price and diwn the road from me) and a new recent discovery up the road from me at Chauteau Pennautier.

But I do love my bubbles. Thankfully I don't get headaches from them and while everyone knows of champagne, I'm swimming in equally wonderful and significantly cheaper fizzes called blanquette and crémant. Both locally made and where fizzy wines were first made, they are just wonderful for the price.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Wine on 23:12 - Nov 24 with 2369 viewsSydneyRs

Love a glass of hearty red. Argentinian Malbecs are a personal favourite and generally very good value.

Went off white and rose some years ago, used to like them.
Wine on 23:16 - Nov 24 with 2365 viewsMrSheen

Yapp Brothers, French country wines. Order on line, with me in two days. £10-15, never a bad bottle. Leave the selection to them. Non-French, Wine Society. From as little as £7 so quality more variable but more hits than misses, but great for sherry and port (I’m an 18th Century boy at heart). Delivery also phenomenally quick.
Login to get fewer ads

Wine on 23:52 - Nov 24 with 2330 viewsdistortR

I hate f'kin raisins. Little, shrivelled old cvnts could have been wine. Why would you do that?
Wine on 00:09 - Nov 25 with 2316 viewsdannyblue

Orange wine that smells like old man's scrumpy piss
Wine on 00:35 - Nov 25 with 2290 viewsBoston

Wine on 23:52 - Nov 24 by distortR

I hate f'kin raisins. Little, shrivelled old cvnts could have been wine. Why would you do that?

You're nuts, incha?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wine on 06:50 - Nov 25 with 2204 viewsdmm

I used to be totally into wine and would avidly read books like the World Atlas of Wine. Toast R, I visited Stellenbosch in the 80s when, due to sanctions, SA wine was very limited in the UK. An absolutely stunning place with wines to match.

My favourite wine is one we sadly can't get over here. It's a frizzante Sangiovese - a semi sparkling red - made in the Emilio Romagna region of Italy. I've only ever drunk it over there in unlabelled bottles made by local farmers. Pure joy in a bottle!

However, since the micro brewery revolution, my preferred quaffing habits have turned to ale and the occasional malt whisky. I rarely drink wine now.
Wine on 07:31 - Nov 25 with 2176 viewsBlackCrowe

Big fan of Californian wines.

My recommendations from Majestic (but only when they're on offer)

Red: Bread & Butter Pinot Noir

White: Rocklin Ranch Chardonnay

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Wine on 07:34 - Nov 25 with 2162 viewsPaddyhoops

Love a drop of red especially South American wines. French can be overrated and expensive.
Wine on 07:35 - Nov 25 with 2160 viewsMrSheen

Wine on 07:31 - Nov 25 by BlackCrowe

Big fan of Californian wines.

My recommendations from Majestic (but only when they're on offer)

Red: Bread & Butter Pinot Noir

White: Rocklin Ranch Chardonnay

My sister in law raves about the Bread and Butter Pinot Noir, I just bought her some for her birthday party. £11 on offer last week.
Wine on 07:45 - Nov 25 with 2149 viewsPhildo

I am a member of the wine society and although there is a joining fee to get a share it is well worth it. It is a co op member owned so non profit and it shows on the pricing. Current favourite is the Society's Sicilian red at about £8.50 a bottle.
Wine on 07:48 - Nov 25 with 2144 viewsozranger

We buy in bulk, normally with Waitrose delivering. Used to walk up to the local Majestic before but moved now. We drink purely reds but do enjoy the odd moscato in summer, though it is almost impossible to get that here.

Being of Oz palates, we tend to drink southern wines from Oz, South Africa and South America. However, we do like rioja and druro wines a lot. When travelling we try to take in wine tours and also try to drink local wines at meals. Love the Little Giant wines but can't hold back a good complex red from Oz, especially a Penfolds Grange, but these days no-one can afford those.
Wine on 07:56 - Nov 25 with 2104 viewsdistortR

Wine on 07:48 - Nov 25 by ozranger

We buy in bulk, normally with Waitrose delivering. Used to walk up to the local Majestic before but moved now. We drink purely reds but do enjoy the odd moscato in summer, though it is almost impossible to get that here.

Being of Oz palates, we tend to drink southern wines from Oz, South Africa and South America. However, we do like rioja and druro wines a lot. When travelling we try to take in wine tours and also try to drink local wines at meals. Love the Little Giant wines but can't hold back a good complex red from Oz, especially a Penfolds Grange, but these days no-one can afford those.

Used to be able to get some decent cleanskin wines cheap at times, when I was out there, along with the rank! I was prepared to take the risk, for 3 bucks!
Living in SA, where quite a lot of the wine production was started by people of German descent, too many cool region grapes being grown.
Give me your rioja, give me your tempranillo!
Wine on 08:47 - Nov 25 with 2057 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I love a good Pinotage.

I've been to the Stellenbosch vinyards and the wine is amazing.

Though that may be like having a Guinness in Dublin.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Wine on 09:18 - Nov 25 with 2014 viewsozexile

Love Red wine but it didn't do much for my body shape or productivity. If I had a couple of glasses on the Weekend I'd still be feeling it on Wednesday. Also like a previous poster I think I was allergic to the preservatives. Miss it though.
Wine on 09:35 - Nov 25 with 1978 viewsEsox_Lucius

Margaret River area reds for me. I used to like Pouilly-Fuissé but off whites now. St. Emiliion is a nice red too.

The grass is always greener.

Wine on 09:35 - Nov 25 with 1976 viewsjohann28

Reds - I prefer the lighter ones these days, so Pinot Noir from just about anywhere, Gamay-based wines eg Fleurie, Merlot-based Bordeaux eg St Emilion

Whites - something gentle with low acidity, so any Burgundy, Gruner Veltliner, Alsace Riesling, Gavi

Rose - Those blush-coloured super-dry ones from Provence

I get everything from the Wine Society - unmatched quality and value. Also worth dropping into Oddbins who often have very good offers.

Saluti!
Wine on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 1970 viewsRBlock

Wine on 23:16 - Nov 24 by MrSheen

Yapp Brothers, French country wines. Order on line, with me in two days. £10-15, never a bad bottle. Leave the selection to them. Non-French, Wine Society. From as little as £7 so quality more variable but more hits than misses, but great for sherry and port (I’m an 18th Century boy at heart). Delivery also phenomenally quick.

Big fan of French reds, so the Yapp Brothers sounds interesting. Will have to get a case for Christmas.

I order cases from the Wine Society, usually Rhones, Minervois, Corbiere, but throw a few Spanish and South American reds in, along with some German sweet whites. Swift delivery and cracking value, especially when you look at what you'll get for the same money down the supermarket. Always have a case of this around, basically our house red - Minervois, Plaisir d'Eulalie, Château Sainte Eulalie 2020.
Wine on 10:58 - Nov 25 with 1911 viewsBklynRanger

Wine on 08:47 - Nov 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I love a good Pinotage.

I've been to the Stellenbosch vinyards and the wine is amazing.

Though that may be like having a Guinness in Dublin.

We stayed in Paarl during the 2010 World Cup - great wines - love a good pinotage anyway but they convinced me not to be foolishly dismissive of decent blends.

The area around Paarl was beautiful too though the people were a little bit, eh, mixed. We sat for an hour or so in a hotel bar talking to the owner from Birmingham who had been over there for years. When I say 'owner' I should say 'total fcuking racist owner' really - some of the stuff he was coming out with - it was sort of intriguing to hear that level of caricature. We ended up in a bar owned by the local chief of police arguing Arancha Sanchez Vicario's right to compete at Wimbledon. Wine eh?

I must say I know very little about French wine but I've got an interesting one for tonight that was 1/3 off in Waitrose - a Roc de Dentelles from Gigondas, which is apparently a Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre blend. Looks fancy and weighs in at a chunky 15%.
Wine on 11:03 - Nov 25 with 1897 viewsMrSheen

Wine on 09:41 - Nov 25 by RBlock

Big fan of French reds, so the Yapp Brothers sounds interesting. Will have to get a case for Christmas.

I order cases from the Wine Society, usually Rhones, Minervois, Corbiere, but throw a few Spanish and South American reds in, along with some German sweet whites. Swift delivery and cracking value, especially when you look at what you'll get for the same money down the supermarket. Always have a case of this around, basically our house red - Minervois, Plaisir d'Eulalie, Château Sainte Eulalie 2020.

I’ll have to look some of those up on WS. I’d completely lost interest in wine, only drinking beer, till I tried a Yapp Brothers mixed case, much more character and interest than branded wines I’d got into the habit of reaching for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024