Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London ULEZ, who can afford it now 10:03 - Nov 25 with 29885 viewsRangersDave

Just announced that ULEZ in the smoke is going to get bigger, and expanded to cover all of London.

WTF?

Up here in Manchester it will happen soon, making average Joe and Josephine pay to take their car past the boundary, which extends to the border with the M6!

all in all, what a sh1t show.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 10:23]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:22 - Nov 25 with 11173 viewsdaveB

it's stopped us going shopping in London, we do it all local now, is just too expensive to drive into Westfield.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:40 - Nov 25 with 11122 viewsHantsR

What with the high fuel costs, ULEZ has made my attendance at games just that bit more difficult a decision to make. A couple of times I've decided that QPR+ was the better option! On one occasion, I was in a hurry when I parked my car and paid online by phone. I should have checked better, because I got caught out and ended up paying £17.50 to a company other than TF rather than £12.50 via TFL.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:47 - Nov 25 with 11098 viewsgobbles

How many people have to pay ULEZ? It's not the congestion charge. Your car needs to be more than 17 years old to pay it.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:57 - Nov 25 with 11054 viewsRanger_Things

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:22 - Nov 25 by daveB

it's stopped us going shopping in London, we do it all local now, is just too expensive to drive into Westfield.

Less congestion and pollution for London, an improvement for your local economy and you probably save yourself a few quid too.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:04 - Nov 25 with 11024 viewsHantsR

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:47 - Nov 25 by gobbles

How many people have to pay ULEZ? It's not the congestion charge. Your car needs to be more than 17 years old to pay it.

All depends on the car. Mine is 10yrs old and purchased new with low licence duty (still is) due to its low emissions, but now it's both the levels of Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) and Particulate Matter (PM) that have bene identified as dangerous. So I pay ULEZ.

I'll get a new car when availability of new cars improves, or second hand cars are more reasonaby priced.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:06 - Nov 25 with 11017 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great news for local businesses!

Bare bones.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:10 - Nov 25 with 10997 viewsslmrstid

When is it all due to change again? I've just checked my car (2017 Volvo, 2 litre petrol engine) and its still exempt so that's something at least. Last I checked my car was exempt for the new city low emission zones as well. I was worried I got caught out in Birmingham in the summer on the way to T20 Finals Day but in the end I checked it afterwards and it was OK.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:25 - Nov 25 with 10887 viewsPinnerPaul

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:06 - Nov 25 by Antti_Heinola

Great news for local businesses!

That's actually a really good point - probably more realistic to expect even more on line growth though I guess?
Login to get fewer ads

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:50 - Nov 25 with 10790 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Incorrect.

If it's a petrol model then, yes, typically a car circa 2006 or younger will meet the (Euro5) minimum standard. However, diesels as young as 2013 can miss out. Given that the government championed diesels a few years ago, I'd say that there are a quite a few people with cars that will have to pay ULEZ.

Moreover, expect the Mayor to move the goalposts again once the zone is expanded. If he decides to move the threshold to Euro6 then that'll bring most petrol cars older than 2011/12 into play.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:12 - Nov 25 with 10711 viewsNewBee

I remember speaking to a commercial Estate Agent in Ealing 10 or 12 years ago.

He said that (newly opened) Westfield had torn the arse out of Ealing as a shopping centre. And it wasn't just visitors to Ealing who were switching - even the locals were travelling there instead of using the Broadway Centre etc.

I'd guess that the Westfield in Straford has done the same for East London, with both of them squeezing the West End.

Meanwhile, Westfield is actually an Australian group, with a reputation for anti-competitive practices in their home country, at least.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:17 - Nov 25 with 10699 viewsLblock

I think we should all stop driving our cars and create this vehicle free utopia these people are seeking

What will they tax next once there’s nothing to tax?
What jobs will they come up with to replace car manufacturers and spin off industries or driving based jobs?
And what will be the next environmental crisis causer they will seek to increase the cost of - Television’s I reckon

Cars are cleaner than they ever have been and there are so fewer older ones that chuck out high levels of pollution. The agenda is clear to see and the motorist remains a cash cow.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:30 - Nov 25 with 10652 viewscolinallcars

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:17 - Nov 25 by Lblock

I think we should all stop driving our cars and create this vehicle free utopia these people are seeking

What jobs will they come up with to replace car manufacturers and spin off industries or driving based jobs?
And what will be the next environmental crisis causer they will seek to increase the cost of - Television’s I reckon

Cars are cleaner than they ever have been and there are so fewer older ones that chuck out high levels of pollution. The agenda is clear to see and the motorist remains a cash cow.

As a petrolhead I agree. The motorist has had a lot to cope with.
I wish, however that something could be done about these idiots with the fake, poppy “sports”exhausts. They go screaming down 20 mph roads at God knows what speed, hanging on to a low gear just to make as much noise as they can. Do they really think that people believe they have high powered cars ?
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:38 - Nov 25 with 10627 viewsdaveB

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:57 - Nov 25 by Ranger_Things

Less congestion and pollution for London, an improvement for your local economy and you probably save yourself a few quid too.

just feels like a money grabbing exercise to me like charging people for plastic bags in shops rather than the shops just stopping buying them in the first place. Not actually saving anything by having thousnads of plastic bags in Sainsburys but charging 10p for them.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:39 - Nov 25 with 10624 viewsdaveB

We thought the same then got a fine through the post so have to pay it now if we go to London
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:44 - Nov 25 with 10579 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Spot on. The environmental agenda is being used as a cover to flog innocent motorists. If the Mayor was serious about the environment, then he could simply turn Central London into a no car zone (with the exception of public transport and trade). To claim that he's serious about air quality but then allow polluting cars to enter upon payment demonstrates the real driver behind the policy - revenue generation.

This is none more apparent than the extension of the zone to the suburbs during a cost-of-living crisis. Khan clearly has his sights set on reaching Heathrow where he can further pummel beleaguered motorists for having the temerity to drop or collect loved ones from the airport. Anyone who voted for this ijit last year, hang your head in shame.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:47 - Nov 25 with 10571 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:12 - Nov 25 by NewBee

I remember speaking to a commercial Estate Agent in Ealing 10 or 12 years ago.

He said that (newly opened) Westfield had torn the arse out of Ealing as a shopping centre. And it wasn't just visitors to Ealing who were switching - even the locals were travelling there instead of using the Broadway Centre etc.

I'd guess that the Westfield in Straford has done the same for East London, with both of them squeezing the West End.

Meanwhile, Westfield is actually an Australian group, with a reputation for anti-competitive practices in their home country, at least.

Ealing can no complaints as the introduction of its shopping centre tore the arse out of Acton. What goes around, comes around.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 14:19 - Nov 25 with 10497 viewsRangersDave

from Sky news...

London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is being expanded to cover the entire city, which the mayor says will tackle air pollution and congestion.

Sadiq Khan has announced the change will come into effect on 29 August 2023, and operate across all London boroughs.

The zone will be 18 times larger than its current area - the boundary is currently the North and South Circular roads.

Transport for London (TfL) estimates that on a typical day about 160,000 cars and 42,000 vans will be liable for the daily fee of £12.50.

But transport officials believe the expansion of the scheme, initially proposed back in May, will encourage motorists to change to vehicles with lower emissions, or switch to public transport.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:13 - Nov 25 with 10406 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:44 - Nov 25 by Benny_the_Ball

Spot on. The environmental agenda is being used as a cover to flog innocent motorists. If the Mayor was serious about the environment, then he could simply turn Central London into a no car zone (with the exception of public transport and trade). To claim that he's serious about air quality but then allow polluting cars to enter upon payment demonstrates the real driver behind the policy - revenue generation.

This is none more apparent than the extension of the zone to the suburbs during a cost-of-living crisis. Khan clearly has his sights set on reaching Heathrow where he can further pummel beleaguered motorists for having the temerity to drop or collect loved ones from the airport. Anyone who voted for this ijit last year, hang your head in shame.

Well whether you agree with him or not you’ve got hand it to him. He gets these things done and they do actually work quite well for what they were designed. I suspect some of that is down to the fact that his agenda is actually supported by the wider state and that all the political shenanigans are just that.

The conservatives only look to belittle and discredit him mostly focussing on crime. from what I’ve seen, nobody in politics presents any real criticism of the current ULEZ performance or of future expansion plans. Probably because they’d actually be doing the same things as him and no doubt not doing as good a job.

He even managed to oust the chief of police. He fought the law and he won!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:02 - Nov 25 with 10288 viewskensalriser

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:38 - Nov 25 by daveB

just feels like a money grabbing exercise to me like charging people for plastic bags in shops rather than the shops just stopping buying them in the first place. Not actually saving anything by having thousnads of plastic bags in Sainsburys but charging 10p for them.

Plastic bags are an environmental nightmare and usage has dropped 97% since the fee was levied (supermarkets don't keep the revenue but donate it to charities). It's heartbreaking to see the images of marine life taking the brunt of plastic pollution.

Pollution and climate change need radical measures and people need to get out of the mindset of fulminating at minor inconveniences while ignoring far reaching environmental destruction and extreme weather events like floods and wildfires that are killing thousands more people than they did even just a few years ago.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:04 - Nov 25 with 10293 viewsloftupper

I’m sure all the old men on here would soon moan about something else instead. Would at least make a change to the victim whinging from motorists
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:11 - Nov 25 with 10262 viewsPinnerPaul

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 14:19 - Nov 25 by RangersDave

from Sky news...

London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is being expanded to cover the entire city, which the mayor says will tackle air pollution and congestion.

Sadiq Khan has announced the change will come into effect on 29 August 2023, and operate across all London boroughs.

The zone will be 18 times larger than its current area - the boundary is currently the North and South Circular roads.

Transport for London (TfL) estimates that on a typical day about 160,000 cars and 42,000 vans will be liable for the daily fee of £12.50.

But transport officials believe the expansion of the scheme, initially proposed back in May, will encourage motorists to change to vehicles with lower emissions, or switch to public transport.

" switch to public transport"

Not that old one - MIGHT work, ONLY if there was massive investment in public transport.

As you regular away trippers always tell the rest of us - the national rail network is a shambles for a start.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:56 - Nov 25 with 10160 viewsdaveB

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:02 - Nov 25 by kensalriser

Plastic bags are an environmental nightmare and usage has dropped 97% since the fee was levied (supermarkets don't keep the revenue but donate it to charities). It's heartbreaking to see the images of marine life taking the brunt of plastic pollution.

Pollution and climate change need radical measures and people need to get out of the mindset of fulminating at minor inconveniences while ignoring far reaching environmental destruction and extreme weather events like floods and wildfires that are killing thousands more people than they did even just a few years ago.

I don't disagree about plastic bags but baffles me why they still have them, just get rid of them, if people want a bag pay for the bag for life ones. Would make a far bigger difference to scrap them than give 10p to charity. Has always felt like retailers were just trying to look like they were doing something rather than actually doing anything
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:59 - Nov 25 with 10165 viewshamptonhillhoop

I had to get rid of my 2010 Passat last year as it didn't qualify. I've also got a 24 year old classic mini. 1.3 petrol engine. It doesn't qualify for ULEZ. From what I've read on forums it doesn't actually breach Ulez but the tests done now wouldn't have been done then. The advice from TFL is to go back to the manufacturer. This can't be done as Rover no longer exist. My friend has a 1978 MG with a 1.8 engine. This is fine as it is exempt due to classic status. I do about 1000 miles a year in this car and will now be forced to sell it. However, someone can drive a 2.5 litre newer car around just fine. On another note, how are people supposed to just replace their cars in the current climate?
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 17:55 - Nov 25 with 10036 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:13 - Nov 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

Well whether you agree with him or not you’ve got hand it to him. He gets these things done and they do actually work quite well for what they were designed. I suspect some of that is down to the fact that his agenda is actually supported by the wider state and that all the political shenanigans are just that.

The conservatives only look to belittle and discredit him mostly focussing on crime. from what I’ve seen, nobody in politics presents any real criticism of the current ULEZ performance or of future expansion plans. Probably because they’d actually be doing the same things as him and no doubt not doing as good a job.

He even managed to oust the chief of police. He fought the law and he won!

If it was designed to make money, then I agree that the policy works. If the objective is to protect the environment, then, no, it doesn't work. Schemes like ULEZ, LTNs, 20MPH zones, one-way systems, etc., have been shown to be harmful to the environment yet they are rubber stamped because of the earning potential. The one thing that they all have in common is that the humble motorist is being targeted. Hell, even electric cars will no longer be exempt from VED.

Moreover, it's not a Conservative or Labour issue. They're all guilty of piggybacking environmental issues in order to generate revenue. That's why you won't hear criticism from these quarters.

Little wonder then that some motorists are now resorting to incorrectly registering their vehicles. They're sick and tired of being demonised and treated as a cash cow. Trust me, one day there will be a backlash.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:00 - Nov 25 with 10026 viewsBoston

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 17:55 - Nov 25 by Benny_the_Ball

If it was designed to make money, then I agree that the policy works. If the objective is to protect the environment, then, no, it doesn't work. Schemes like ULEZ, LTNs, 20MPH zones, one-way systems, etc., have been shown to be harmful to the environment yet they are rubber stamped because of the earning potential. The one thing that they all have in common is that the humble motorist is being targeted. Hell, even electric cars will no longer be exempt from VED.

Moreover, it's not a Conservative or Labour issue. They're all guilty of piggybacking environmental issues in order to generate revenue. That's why you won't hear criticism from these quarters.

Little wonder then that some motorists are now resorting to incorrectly registering their vehicles. They're sick and tired of being demonised and treated as a cash cow. Trust me, one day there will be a backlash.

Let's hope that backlash includes the words, political aristos, horse drawn wagons and Madame la Guillotine.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 18:03]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024