Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand 15:28 - Dec 30 with 2982 viewsnumptydumpty

Sir Les as a player has been an all time hero of mine, definitely legend status at our club.

As a director of football for over 10 years now he has done the best he could do especially when we have faced more challenging times with FFP and think along with Lee Hoos has done a pretty good job overall.

Myself am still unsure of all the responsibilities a director of football has with regards to recruitment, finances, style of play, wages, and other such ventures such as facilities etc..

I have not been one at all to call him out as to his role especially as myself personally unsure what he actually has responsibilities for.

I think a key one is manager recruitment and possible transfers overseen.

Think the day , the decision was made to let Warburton go, has made my own personal opinion up that perhaps it is time Les stepped down and either a new brush comes in to this director of football role or it is streamlined so that there is more available for players.

They said they did due diligence on appointment of Beale but he moved very often and clearly was extremely ambitious but whatever it was, it did backfire and in my mind this seems to fall on the Director of Football.

Time to change our management and coaching structures , a big overhaul behind the scenes as well.

It's worked to some extent but I personally feel legend or not, it's time for a change.

The guy is still a massive hero but just feel personally a new face or hierarchy is called for now.

They have had a good go and I would say thank you for their services and see about something new before we become too stale and continue to make similar errors of judgement over and over again...
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 15:33]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Les Ferdinand on 15:44 - Dec 30 with 2889 viewsvanrrrr

I am very much in the same boat. Done a good job generally but we have spent what little money we had badly, our scouting is still poor and we have no discernible identity or strategy - we seem to just bumble along. Taken us as far as he can?
Les Ferdinand on 15:46 - Dec 30 with 2885 viewsdaveB

I think changing the whole structure and coaching set up based on a few bad results would be a bit of an over reaction.

For me it's probably time to change things up at the end of the season especially if things continue as they have been recently.
Les Ferdinand on 15:47 - Dec 30 with 2877 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If he goes this will be our Alan Curbishly moment in my opinion. The football world is full of Riggs, Beards, and Paliadinis to take the mantle when he goes.

Short memories.

Remember it will be Fernandes and the board tasked with finding a replacement.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 15:54]
Les Ferdinand on 15:57 - Dec 30 with 2811 viewsgazza1

Sir Les......he was a top player and one of my overall favourites (along with a few more over the generations) and I have a lot of time for him. It worked for him because he worked hard to get there. I am friends with his former Manager, bloke called Harry Manoe, at Hayes FC and he tells me that he is a 'top, top, geezer' and I am sure, as from his past, he works hard for QPR to keep us as competitive as possible during very difficult times for the Club.

I cannot comment on his work at the Rangers but I am very pleased to have him 'on board'.
Les Ferdinand on 15:57 - Dec 30 with 2822 viewsMonkey_Roots

In summary, you don’t know what he does, but somehow he has to go?

Not an opinion based on any kind of facts or research then?
Les Ferdinand on 16:31 - Dec 30 with 2688 viewsPeterHucker

He has been DoF for 8 years, not for "over 10 years"

When he arrived our wage bill was notoriously enormous (wasn't it bigger than Borussia Dortmund's or something ridiculous like that?) and we operated at a loss of 66 million quid in 1 year! (more than Chelsea!!)

Now we are run in a sensible way and we can hold our own in the Championship.
Other clubs with far better crowds than QPR have not stayed in this divsion (Bolton, Portsmouth, Sheff Wed, Ipswich)
Les Ferdinand on 17:27 - Dec 30 with 2610 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 15:47 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

If he goes this will be our Alan Curbishly moment in my opinion. The football world is full of Riggs, Beards, and Paliadinis to take the mantle when he goes.

Short memories.

Excellent point.

Not saying it would be our Curbishley moment, but it certainly could be. No guarantee we could ever get a better DoF if Ferdinand went.

Of course he's not perfect, and the thread about striker recruitment proves that, but we should be careful what we wish for.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand on 17:33 - Dec 30 with 2590 viewshopekillsyou

So… it’s all Les’ fault that we lost to Luton?
What a load of crap you write : I understand and share the frustration but this kind of “ fan from the heart …bullshit” is such bollocks although sadly inevitable.
Fernandez screwed up badly in the Redknapp and pre Redknapp period. We are still paying the price for that. Les’ appointment brought some stability to the club. He’s doesn’t get everything right but overall he is an asset.
I also like the fact that he’s intelligent and speaks his mind.
Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand on 17:49 - Dec 30 with 2520 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Les Ferdinand on 17:27 - Dec 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Excellent point.

Not saying it would be our Curbishley moment, but it certainly could be. No guarantee we could ever get a better DoF if Ferdinand went.

Of course he's not perfect, and the thread about striker recruitment proves that, but we should be careful what we wish for.

Whenever we have a chorus of calls to press the nuclear button on a player, manager, owner, of DoF there is always a wall of silence to the question ‘then what?’.

There’s also the question of money. It’s costly to sack a senior director I would imagine.

These calls are always made after defeats too. Never when the sun is shining which seems fickle to me. Fickleness is not a good base to make major decisions from.

Again, and I have to say this lest I be labelled a Happy Clapper or Les Groupie, this does not take away from the abysmal showing last night or that Les should be immune from criticism.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 17:53]
Les Ferdinand on 17:51 - Dec 30 with 2479 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Les Ferdinand on 17:33 - Dec 30 by hopekillsyou

So… it’s all Les’ fault that we lost to Luton?
What a load of crap you write : I understand and share the frustration but this kind of “ fan from the heart …bullshit” is such bollocks although sadly inevitable.
Fernandez screwed up badly in the Redknapp and pre Redknapp period. We are still paying the price for that. Les’ appointment brought some stability to the club. He’s doesn’t get everything right but overall he is an asset.
I also like the fact that he’s intelligent and speaks his mind.

His position should be untenable; he's been DoF for eight years and we have no settled style of play, no players coming through and we're not selling players for large profits, which is meant to be our development model. Luton had about five striking options last night, while we had Lyndon! If he hadn't been a great player for us 30 years ago he'd have been gone years ago; as it is, the fanboys still defend him even though he's literally our DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL and our football is shite.

Ultimately Critchley will take the blame for the failings of Les and the PE teachers, who are themselves shielding the shortcomings of the board. Sad times.
Les Ferdinand on 19:18 - Dec 30 with 2398 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 17:51 - Dec 30 by Wegerles_Stairs

His position should be untenable; he's been DoF for eight years and we have no settled style of play, no players coming through and we're not selling players for large profits, which is meant to be our development model. Luton had about five striking options last night, while we had Lyndon! If he hadn't been a great player for us 30 years ago he'd have been gone years ago; as it is, the fanboys still defend him even though he's literally our DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL and our football is shite.

Ultimately Critchley will take the blame for the failings of Les and the PE teachers, who are themselves shielding the shortcomings of the board. Sad times.

As a minor defence I think the style of play has been the same for the last 3 managers, maybe that's part of the problem but it's clear with the managers we've had there is continuity there.

The Transfer market has died since covid for championship clubs to sell which came at the worst moment for us when we had 4/5 sellable players who we could get good money for and rebuild but that market is dead so it's left us a bit knackered.

Would agree our record of signing strikers is very poor and when you see how well Luton have done on a similar budget it's a very fair criticism.
Les Ferdinand on 21:49 - Dec 30 with 2242 viewsbosh67

I am a big fan of Sir Les. Not sure all the fire he receives is necessary or appropriate in any way. He's made some good calls and some bad ones.

My only gripe is that he came to us from non-league for £15K and we don't seem to scout from the lower leagues for gems like he was. The ones we do get we tend to bollox up. Paul Smyth being one and potentially Armstrong another. Non league has a very rich seam of really interesting young players working their way up. Some of them score goals for fun and would at most levels, like Sir Les proved. They don't cost a fortune either and they don't come with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Les Ferdinand on 09:57 - Dec 31 with 1994 viewsessextaxiboy

I do feel he maybe should have done more to bring the youth setup and Warburton together and somehow work out a way forwards . The non football activities of the club are an example to all and something we can be proud of . The football buck is his .
Miles away from wanting a change but how long are you "new in the job " and are cut some slack for it ?
Les Ferdinand on 10:23 - Dec 31 with 1953 viewsNortholt_Rs

Les Ferdinand on 09:57 - Dec 31 by essextaxiboy

I do feel he maybe should have done more to bring the youth setup and Warburton together and somehow work out a way forwards . The non football activities of the club are an example to all and something we can be proud of . The football buck is his .
Miles away from wanting a change but how long are you "new in the job " and are cut some slack for it ?

8 years and counting…. Mind you, a win on Monday and I’ll change my mind! Fickle f u cker…

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Les Ferdinand on 10:50 - Dec 31 with 1872 viewsMole_Senior

Unfortunately, with a DOF model in place (whether it be Les or someone else) we are always going to attract a ‘head coach’ or ‘yes man’ for want of a better word! After Beale deserted us I felt we needed to adopt a different approach and getting a proper manager in, like a Sean Dyche or Warnock, but sadly these characters won’t work under a DOF and therefore we got Critchley, who thus far doesn’t fill me with confidence - hope I’m wrong 😑

I definitely feel a DOF is necessary for our type of club but do feel it hinders us a little on the playing side.
Les Ferdinand on 10:57 - Dec 31 with 1854 viewsDejR_vu

Well, if Clive’s prophecy comes to pass, we’ll not only still be cr@p, it looks like we’ve overspent to be cr@p. He’s only gotten away with it so far because of Eze.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Les Ferdinand on 11:02 - Dec 31 with 1835 viewsR_from_afar

My hope is that Critchley can establish himself, gain the confidence of the board and give them a detailed and honest assessment of our player development set-up.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Les Ferdinand on 11:09 - Dec 31 with 1824 viewsrickywelton

Les Ferdinand on 10:57 - Dec 31 by DejR_vu

Well, if Clive’s prophecy comes to pass, we’ll not only still be cr@p, it looks like we’ve overspent to be cr@p. He’s only gotten away with it so far because of Eze.

Long time watcher but finally posting. Been a fan for over 55 years and as you can imagine seen lots of ups and downs and to be honest it’s part of supporting your team. Loved Ferdinand as a player but really struggle to understand how people can defend him as a DOF.

I am happy to be educated but how have we improved under his watch? What youth players have come through and been sold to sustain the club going forward (I don’t mean other teams cast offs)? What coaches in our youth and development set up are other teams looking to recruit? It was only last season where our U18 & 21’s finished bottom of their respective leagues ! Then there is his recruitment of strikers, Bonne and Dykes have been a disaster, but remember there was also the likes of Washington! Recently two strikers at Coventry and Luton have shown us what could have been, both costing half of either Bonne or Dykes! Surely that along calls his judgement and therefore ability to do the job, in question.

Big no for me and if he wasn’t an ex player (we already have too many of them) he would have been gone long ago. It’s time the club appointed to such posts and I include coaches in this, purely on ability and not because they are friends of people or ex players.
Les Ferdinand on 11:38 - Dec 31 with 1784 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 15:47 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Short memories.

We won't be able to spend regardless of DoF. The days of Beard ,Riggs, Paladini are well gone, especially when we still have Hoos holding the purse strings.
It's about player recruitment, football identity and so far we've been very poor to average with the exception of Eze.
Treading water in the championship is not sustainable, we'll sink eventually. Eze was a life line but Where's that next one coming from?
We are getting over taken by clubs that were miles behind us 8 years ago and are now miles ahead.
I think Beale has thrown Ferdinand and the club under the bus ,but we should no way be in a position to let a novice manager even do that to us.
I'm with DaveB , I think we should see how this season pans out with Critchley then make an assessment.
Ultimately its the owners that need to change imo but that also comes with concerns and potentialy be very risky for the club with all the sharks out there.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 11:56 - Dec 31 with 1745 viewsstanistheman

Les Ferdinand on 11:09 - Dec 31 by rickywelton

Long time watcher but finally posting. Been a fan for over 55 years and as you can imagine seen lots of ups and downs and to be honest it’s part of supporting your team. Loved Ferdinand as a player but really struggle to understand how people can defend him as a DOF.

I am happy to be educated but how have we improved under his watch? What youth players have come through and been sold to sustain the club going forward (I don’t mean other teams cast offs)? What coaches in our youth and development set up are other teams looking to recruit? It was only last season where our U18 & 21’s finished bottom of their respective leagues ! Then there is his recruitment of strikers, Bonne and Dykes have been a disaster, but remember there was also the likes of Washington! Recently two strikers at Coventry and Luton have shown us what could have been, both costing half of either Bonne or Dykes! Surely that along calls his judgement and therefore ability to do the job, in question.

Big no for me and if he wasn’t an ex player (we already have too many of them) he would have been gone long ago. It’s time the club appointed to such posts and I include coaches in this, purely on ability and not because they are friends of people or ex players.

Totally agree.
I fail to see how we have improved since he walked back in as an advisor in autumn 2014 when we were in the Premiership.

Relegation, a succession of poor managers, player recruitment and development of our own youth players.

He ‘reduced’ the wage bill but in truth most of those overpaid players just ran down their contracts and left.

He has perhaps ‘succeeded’ in recruiting some cast offs like Eze , Chair Dieng and a new training ground , but otherwise has not been good for the club.

How can he not spot a decent striker given that this was his position as a player , yet other clubs like Brentford, Luton, Coventry and others have. 8 seasons and not one decent goalscorer has passed through the club (with the exception of loaning in Austin who had he played in a front 2 would have done better last season). In my view not keeping him when a replacement was not brought in was a huge error.
Les Ferdinand on 12:30 - Dec 31 with 1696 viewspaulhoop2

Doing a good job all the evil Les brigade are jumping on bandwagon. Need to look at bigger picture

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Les Ferdinand on 12:59 - Dec 31 with 1644 viewsYokelR

Les Ferdinand on 11:09 - Dec 31 by rickywelton

This 100%
What has he and the coaches and the players he's recruited achieved?
Each time the manager gets sacked our DoF sits there saying nothing to do with me guv.
Each time a manager says our coaching staff don't produce any first team players we sack the manager, keep those coaches and give those players new contracts.
This is not borne out of a few bad results but years of under achieving.
Les Ferdinand on 17:42 - Dec 31 with 1473 viewsnumptydumpty

I never said was against anything he had or had not done.

He has as said done excellently with changing a wage bill that was mad but if and as I said it's an if, if he is in charge and overall overseeing manager and player recruitment, its been extremely up and down in recent years.

It's not a knee jerk reaction to losing to Luton at all, if we win the next four, I still would wish for a new set up.

It's been a kind of ambling along but seemingly not quite making progress and we are starting to look like this is how it will be.

If we want be the next Brentford, Brighton, Fulham then we just simply not going progress at all with the current organisational step up.

The fact we lost the last game is beyond irrelevant

It's the long term aim.

If we happy bumbling along mid table championship with Director Football , player and manager recruiment and coaching set up as is, I cannot see how we will achieve any kind of progress as other clubs have managed.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 17:43]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024