Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Majorca 23:19 - Jul 17 with 4090 viewsdannyblue

Apart from the water not quite tasting like it ought to, anyone got any tips? We have 5 nights in August. Will stay one in Palma but otherwise open to suggestions. Love good food, scenery, don’t have to be on the beach…
Majorca on 07:17 - Jul 18 with 3957 viewsaston_hoop

Mallorca is aweseome, so so much more than just Magaluf. Valldemossa is a lovely town to visit and Deia too, both quite close to each other. Easy to reach if you have a car but you can also get the bus out to them, maybe only 20 minutes or so out of Palma. But they are musts for seeing a bit of the interior.

You can take the old scenic railway up to Soller too and then the old tram to the coast there, really lovely scenery as you go through the heart of Mallorca.That goes from Palma and runs throughout the day. ( https://trendesoller.com/eng/index)

Andratx is another placeI like, again not far from Palma along the coast, old fishing village vibes when you get to the coastal part.

The hike up to the castle at Alaró is nice too as well as its famous lamb restaurant (Es Verger).

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Majorca on 08:25 - Jul 18 with 3852 viewsRamseyR

Majorca on 07:17 - Jul 18 by aston_hoop

Mallorca is aweseome, so so much more than just Magaluf. Valldemossa is a lovely town to visit and Deia too, both quite close to each other. Easy to reach if you have a car but you can also get the bus out to them, maybe only 20 minutes or so out of Palma. But they are musts for seeing a bit of the interior.

You can take the old scenic railway up to Soller too and then the old tram to the coast there, really lovely scenery as you go through the heart of Mallorca.That goes from Palma and runs throughout the day. ( https://trendesoller.com/eng/index)

Andratx is another placeI like, again not far from Palma along the coast, old fishing village vibes when you get to the coastal part.

The hike up to the castle at Alaró is nice too as well as its famous lamb restaurant (Es Verger).

Great recomendations from Aston Hoop.

The train/tram to Soller is a must and the hike up to the top of Alaro is great but very long if you start at the bottom as we did. I seem to remember you can drive up part way and it's still a reasonable hike to the top.

I would visit Sa Calabra. It's a beautiful torrent opening onto the sea. Absolutely stunning, but its the road to get there that is epic. Its one of the most famous roads in Europe if you have a motorbike or are a cyclist. All that northern area is mountainous and worlds away from peoples perceptions of Majorca. Puerto Pollensa and Alcudia Bay are lovely places to stay.
Majorca on 08:49 - Jul 18 with 3801 viewsmonners1969

I quite Like Puerto Portals - small marina with a few decent bars and restaurants... Assume you dont need golf course recommendations because thats generally why I go anywhere sunny
Majorca on 09:30 - Jul 18 with 3736 viewsBuckR

Majorca on 08:49 - Jul 18 by monners1969

I quite Like Puerto Portals - small marina with a few decent bars and restaurants... Assume you dont need golf course recommendations because thats generally why I go anywhere sunny

Yep second this! There's a great beach bar down the far end on the left during the day, some great sights to be had!
Majorca on 10:01 - Jul 18 with 3635 viewshubble

Great recommendations from Aston - seconded. I lived in Deia many moons ago, it's an incredibly beautiful village that rambles from the skirts of the Serra de Tramuntana down to a tiny cala with a couple of restaurants by the sea. Lovely swimming there, but beware the jellyfish!

The scenery is epic, but sadly these days (in the summer season) it's overrun by instragram tourists and nouveau riche Russians. But as Aston says, the drive from Palma, first to Valdemossa (another beautiful town) and then along the winding high coast road to Deia is spectacular.

You can continue driving along the coast to Soller, which is also lovely - sit in the square and watch the world go by or carry on down to the sea at Port de Soller, have lunch by the beach.

The whole Tramuntana range is stunning, and you can do a circular route in a day's drive from Palma, through Valdemossa, Deia and Soller and then back through the tunnel, or keep going further north. Or you could take the railway, as suggested.

The best beach in Mallorca that I know is called Es Trenc - perfect for swimming and lazing or sunbathing on miles of golden sand - it's on the south coast, near to the village of Campos. There's a cool beach shack restuarant where you can eat seafood and drink ice cold beers. You'll need a car to get there though.

And Palma is a lovely city to stroll around. Santa Catalina district is cool and of course it's right by the sea.There's plenty more to see, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Majorca on 10:09 - Jul 18 with 3596 viewsdannyblue

Thank you so much. I knew there’d be some good knowledge here. Would you suggest it’s worth renting a car then?
Majorca on 10:45 - Jul 18 with 3528 viewshubble

Majorca on 10:09 - Jul 18 by dannyblue

Thank you so much. I knew there’d be some good knowledge here. Would you suggest it’s worth renting a car then?

Definitely, Danny.

Majorca on 14:30 - Jul 19 with 3234 viewsBluce_Ree

The best tip is to stay away from the bastard English.

I mean I'm English but I ain't going to a beech with a load of those c*nts on it.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Majorca on 19:51 - Jul 19 with 3097 viewsRebalhoop

The Caves of Drach,was a great excursion when I was in Cala Dor.
Like Cheddar Gorge but much better,with a really haunting classical music gig,performed by people on little row boats.
Majorca on 20:47 - Jul 19 with 3034 viewsChrisNW6

Port D'Andratx is lovely with some great restaurants and you can hire self drive boats to explore the coastline. St Elm is 10mins up the coast has a lovely beach and restaurants as well. Camp de Mar is another great beach and only 25mins from Plama.
Majorca on 21:17 - Jul 19 with 2988 viewstkqpr

The descent and climb in and out of Sa Calobra, magical, especially on a bike.
Majorca on 21:35 - Jul 19 with 2962 viewsAndybrat

Majorca on 10:45 - Jul 18 by hubble

Definitely, Danny.

Double definitely, the roads are really easy to drive.
Majorca on 22:20 - Jul 19 with 2911 viewsqueensparker

Been going back and forth to Majorca for 40 years now, it’s a wonderful place and some great advice on here.

100% get a car and explore if you’re there for 5 days. The roads up in the north between Soller/Deia/Pollenca/Formentor are worth the drive alone, a lot less hairy now they’ve got barriers through the mountains. Deia, Soller, Adraintx, Pollenca, all worth a visit. It’s not a big island you can pretty much get from one side to the other in an hour (mountain roads permitting)

I’ve got two young kids so spent our last visit at the awesome water slides in Alcudia and mucking about on the beaches in Pollenca but that might not be what you’re after!

I would particularly recommend the old town in Pollenca for a wonder and a lunch and a walk up the 365 steps to the shrine of Calvario, it’s a great old town and hasn’t changed since I’ve been going. Great food. A pricey dinner in Puerto Pollenca down the road at La Lhonga as the sun goes down over the marina is also ace, had lunch next to Richard Branson there before.

And the view from Cap Formentor in the far north east is my happy place
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 22:25]
Majorca on 21:25 - Aug 24 with 2465 viewsdannyblue

Thank you everyone for your advice. Mallorca really is wonderful and I'll go back to see more. Stayed near Valdemossa. Enjoyed Valdemossa, Deià, the hike up to Alaró, and beaches at Banyalbufar and Cala Tuent (and the drive to it). Palma was an unexpected pleasure - so relaxed - and the Miro Fondación was really incredible. Had an amazing sole at Ca's Patró March by Cala Daià as a busty blonde paddle boarded by singing nessun dorma perfectly, to great applause. Another good meal at Es Taller in Valdemossa, too.
Majorca on 21:38 - Aug 24 with 2413 viewsNewBee

Majorca on 21:35 - Jul 19 by Andybrat

Double definitely, the roads are really easy to drive.

A few years ago now, admittedly, but I once hired a car in Majorca and did some driving in the interior. Despite priding myself on my spatial awareness/judgment, the roads up in the mountains were so winding, undulating and narrow (esp), with stone walls on either side, I still incurred a couple of scrapes.
But when I returned the car, somewhat anxious, the hire company guy just laughed and pointed towards all the other returned cars - some of them with bodywork like a box cheese grater that had been crushed in a vice! (No extra charge, obv).

Aside from that, agree completely with the Soller rail/tram recommendations. Also, if you like cities, Palma (old town) is surprisingly attractive/historic/scenic etc - a complete world away from Palma Nova and its "English breakfast just like your dear old muvver used to make, cor blimey"

EDIT: Just noticed dannyblue's post immediately above, so hadn't realised he'd already been and returned! Oh well.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 21:41]
Majorca on 21:58 - Aug 24 with 2340 viewsLblock

You mean there’s more to do apart from BCM’s and Bananas nightclubs?

Well I never…………

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Majorca on 22:54 - Aug 24 with 2215 viewswesty

Majorca on 21:58 - Aug 24 by Lblock

You mean there’s more to do apart from BCM’s and Bananas nightclubs?

Well I never…………

My god. Banana joes that brings back memories. Then seeing BCM as you took off from palma on the way home. You could here all the girls scream there it is wonder if Juan will call me tomorrow 😂😂
Majorca on 22:55 - Aug 24 with 2215 viewsActonExile

Go to pirates, it was really good, kin 'ell just realised that was 30 years ago and it's still there.

https://piratesadventure.com/en?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6pfbmKT2gAMVBoVoCR2E

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Majorca on 01:55 - Aug 25 with 2108 viewsBoston

Majorca on 10:01 - Jul 18 by hubble

Great recommendations from Aston - seconded. I lived in Deia many moons ago, it's an incredibly beautiful village that rambles from the skirts of the Serra de Tramuntana down to a tiny cala with a couple of restaurants by the sea. Lovely swimming there, but beware the jellyfish!

The scenery is epic, but sadly these days (in the summer season) it's overrun by instragram tourists and nouveau riche Russians. But as Aston says, the drive from Palma, first to Valdemossa (another beautiful town) and then along the winding high coast road to Deia is spectacular.

You can continue driving along the coast to Soller, which is also lovely - sit in the square and watch the world go by or carry on down to the sea at Port de Soller, have lunch by the beach.

The whole Tramuntana range is stunning, and you can do a circular route in a day's drive from Palma, through Valdemossa, Deia and Soller and then back through the tunnel, or keep going further north. Or you could take the railway, as suggested.

The best beach in Mallorca that I know is called Es Trenc - perfect for swimming and lazing or sunbathing on miles of golden sand - it's on the south coast, near to the village of Campos. There's a cool beach shack restuarant where you can eat seafood and drink ice cold beers. You'll need a car to get there though.

And Palma is a lovely city to stroll around. Santa Catalina district is cool and of course it's right by the sea.There's plenty more to see, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Never forget, every other nationality has as much right as the British to destroy charming foreign places.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Majorca on 08:28 - Aug 25 with 1967 viewshubble

Majorca on 01:55 - Aug 25 by Boston

Never forget, every other nationality has as much right as the British to destroy charming foreign places.

Glad to hear you went to Ca's Patró March, Danny. Cala Deia is a magical place.

Majorca on 08:36 - Aug 25 with 1952 viewskernowhoop

Majorca on 22:20 - Jul 19 by queensparker

Been going back and forth to Majorca for 40 years now, it’s a wonderful place and some great advice on here.

100% get a car and explore if you’re there for 5 days. The roads up in the north between Soller/Deia/Pollenca/Formentor are worth the drive alone, a lot less hairy now they’ve got barriers through the mountains. Deia, Soller, Adraintx, Pollenca, all worth a visit. It’s not a big island you can pretty much get from one side to the other in an hour (mountain roads permitting)

I’ve got two young kids so spent our last visit at the awesome water slides in Alcudia and mucking about on the beaches in Pollenca but that might not be what you’re after!

I would particularly recommend the old town in Pollenca for a wonder and a lunch and a walk up the 365 steps to the shrine of Calvario, it’s a great old town and hasn’t changed since I’ve been going. Great food. A pricey dinner in Puerto Pollenca down the road at La Lhonga as the sun goes down over the marina is also ace, had lunch next to Richard Branson there before.

And the view from Cap Formentor in the far north east is my happy place
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 22:25]

Have only been once (Porto Pollenca) but enjoyed it and the 40 years' experience here makes sense to me.
Majorca on 10:00 - Aug 25 with 1877 viewsDannyPaddox

According to the well-loved rhyme you might stumble across a QPR player …

Jake-Clarke Salter’s
Gone to Majorca
Cos his hamstrings
Ain’t what they oughta
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024