Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? 03:49 - Aug 6 with 33366 viewsSydneyRs

We all know things look very grim right now and many want him gone, but is there actually anyone available that would firstly even entertain this job and secondly be any better than GA given the obvious constraints?

I genuinely feel for the guy and believe he's giving it everything he has. But the constant forced positivity interviews that are getting very repetitive are wearing thin. He's inherited a mess for sure but it still feels like a lot of the players aren't having him or possibly just aren't having the club any more.

Its tough. He clearly had players at Wycombe who bought in and was able to build a culture there, but as we know there's a few here with questionable levels of commitment to say the least. How on earth can he turn it around and if not him who else could do better with no money available?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:36 - Aug 9 with 1950 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:30 - Aug 9 by baz_qpr

I would suspect if they let his contract expire because of "behaviours" they would be unlikely to offer the same person another role, no matter how talented or good they are at their job

Agreed. Very little hope, I would think.

Not sure I see the attraction of Warburton as DoF anyway, even allowing for his falling out with other Rangers staff. One of the main knocks on Ferdinand as our DoF was that he had no experience. As far as I can see Warburton's experience in the role is with Brentford for two years, and that ended ten years ago.

I'd be hoping for someone with a much fuller CV than that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:44 - Aug 9 with 1889 viewsCateLeBonR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:27 - Aug 8 by Rangersw12

Pretty interesting and I believe what E15 Hoop was talking about during the summer

Are we sure this guy isn’t a Brentford fan WUM?
[Post edited 9 Aug 2023 9:59]
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:07 - Aug 9 with 1789 viewsJevlar

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:44 - Aug 9 by CateLeBonR

He's clearly on one but it's 13 minutes long and can be summed up with 'Wait and see if people like GA's approach'

For me, what that video does show is the total lack of joined up thinking by the board. GA is such an ill suited appointment for this squad!

I'm increasingly convinced GA's approach doesn't align with the majority of modern footballers.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:09 - Aug 9 with 1777 viewsbaz_qpr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:27 - Aug 9 by davman

It's the silence from them (which may not be that unusual I guess), the absenteeism (which is unusual), the fact that they are doing nothing proactive to change direction and the fact thatHoos has been quoted saying that we are looking for investment to support the board and to take an active interest in the running of the club.

Might have things wrong, but it does not feel like they will be hanging around to me.

Think of Dragon's Den, people rarely go in for the money they go in to get additional expertise access to markets additional experience and a voice in decision making.

Bear in mind as well Ruben's father has died in the last month, and whilst he was semi retired Ruben I imagine will have a hell of a lot to sort out in the core business that ultimately fund this club, so I'm not surprised that QPR is not front of focus, and I think they genuinely want another voice around the table rather than trying to sell out at what would be the worst possible time
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:12 - Aug 9 with 1755 viewsterryb

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:02 - Aug 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I have absolutely no inside info and I'm keeping an open mind on this but I'm not convinced on this idea that they're ready to sell.

Haven't we just increased our staff by 30%?

Aren't we right on the threshold of P&S/FFP? Dangerously so?

What's different all of a sudden in their behaviour that would make us think they're getting ready to sell?

Is that right Brian? Increased our staff by 30%?

That would have cost us the money to have made at least one signing. Or the club/Ainsworth decided that a performance director etc was more important than new players!
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:23 - Aug 9 with 1681 viewsdmm

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:56 - Aug 9 by QPROslo

Why do you think Warburton "ship sailed"? Has he got a new job? Last I find is he left West Ham saying he wanted a more senior job and he's said before he's interested in a DoF position, a position we have open.

As others have pointed out, given his history with us, it seems unlikely he'd want to come here. I suppose we'll never know but it would be fascinating to see the list of DoF targets the search agency draws up and those who turn us down. I suspect Warbs might be one of them.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:24 - Aug 9 with 1677 viewsCateLeBonR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:07 - Aug 9 by Jevlar

He's clearly on one but it's 13 minutes long and can be summed up with 'Wait and see if people like GA's approach'

For me, what that video does show is the total lack of joined up thinking by the board. GA is such an ill suited appointment for this squad!

I'm increasingly convinced GA's approach doesn't align with the majority of modern footballers.

Slightly tongue in cheek comment from me there.

Personally I’d much rather we did try something different. Rather than go through another 3 managers and get relegated anyway in an even worst state than we are now.

I suspect I’m in the minority on this.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:24 - Aug 9 with 1676 viewsBklynRanger

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:44 - Aug 9 by CateLeBonR

I don't really know what his point.

'Emotions come first... it may get better before it gets worse but at some point, after some possible 5 and 6 nils [because of course that won't be a problem], it will become clear that he's right...Buy in is important and that's what Ainsworth is trying to achieve.'

I see. 10/10 for self confidence like...
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:25 - Aug 9 with 1669 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:12 - Aug 9 by terryb

Is that right Brian? Increased our staff by 30%?

That would have cost us the money to have made at least one signing. Or the club/Ainsworth decided that a performance director etc was more important than new players!

I thought it was in the latest accounts, Terry, that our total staff went up from 150ish to 190ish.

Just looked it up, actually up from 171 to 191, so a 17% rise.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:25 - Aug 9 with 1668 viewsPunteR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:27 - Aug 8 by Rangersw12

Pretty interesting and I believe what E15 Hoop was talking about during the summer

Is that a Blackburn accent?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:28 - Aug 9 with 1639 viewsjohnhoop

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:24 - Aug 9 by BklynRanger

I don't really know what his point.

'Emotions come first... it may get better before it gets worse but at some point, after some possible 5 and 6 nils [because of course that won't be a problem], it will become clear that he's right...Buy in is important and that's what Ainsworth is trying to achieve.'

I see. 10/10 for self confidence like...

Sounds like absolute bovine excrement.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:30 - Aug 9 with 1606 viewsSonofpugwash

I've always believed GA was an "undertaker" appointment prior to a sale of the club.Seen it before,assets/players sold off and then the empty store.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:35 - Aug 9 with 1559 viewsterryb

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:25 - Aug 9 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought it was in the latest accounts, Terry, that our total staff went up from 150ish to 190ish.

Sorry Brian, I thought you were referring to this summer! I would still sugest that we've hired extra backroom staff instead of new players!

I appreciate that this might be required long term, provided the strategy is adhered to, but it has left us very thin for this season.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:39 - Aug 9 with 1513 viewsPunteR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:25 - Aug 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Happy birthday Don..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:39 - Aug 9 with 1505 viewsthemodfather

i have not read every thread but usually when we are donald ducked we call for OLLY, he has a proven record of working with nothing and getting results , with such limited funds it beggars belief we employ more staff internally ?
until next May we are still a championship club, based in london, hopefully able to secure new faces on the board to invest? get some positives going around the club and win some points asap.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:44 - Aug 9 with 1463 viewsQPROslo

I would suspect if they let his contract expire because of "behaviours" they would be unlikely to offer the same person another role, no matter how talented or good they are at their job

Well one of the "they" has already gone and why we need a new DoF. I don't know what "behaviours" you are talking about, but if it was his opinion that the best of the youngsters weren't ready for the 1st team, subsequent Managers have shared it. Hoos and the Board must see he had a fair arguement too. If they do have the best of the Club in mind Warburton has got to be at least one of the obvious candidates for DoF or Head Coach. Whether he'd take it of course is another matter, but I guess he'd be interested in the DoF position and possibly the Head Coach role temporarily.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:44 - Aug 9 with 1463 views1JD

I see the players following Gareth Ainsworth - I see it in every bit of play.

From the ridiculous Sunday league kick off routine of banging it long and straight to the opposition.

To the long balls in the channel designed to go over opposition full backs heads to get in behind, executed by Paal of all people. But never on, and possession given away. Time and again.

I see players running. I even see players trying. But the woefully inadequate set-up often makes it look like they are not.

When you set up with a 2-man CM, that proved ALL of last season it can’t do that, you’ll never be able make that 10-yard sprint to get to the ball first.

So you’ll look yards off the play. And the knock on effect to the rest of the team will be significant. Each and every player will be exposed thanks to the fundamental weak link, right at the heart of your team.

When you set up by minimising your best player, a #10, chair, who is best dictating and probing play, with freedom, but yet stuck out on the wing, as a peripheral figure, chasing shadows, doing doggies. Because as long as he works hard, first and foremost, that’s ok right?

I could go on and on. The squad is weak in places, but strong in others. There is plenty to work with. But to use a golfing analogy - you need to pick the right club, to hit the right shot.

Otherwise, as good as you actually are, or as much as you try, your poor selection of clubs will in fact make you look pretty crap/not good enough.

Players ARE following instructions, whether they want to or not. But no amount of “buy-in” will yield results when the instructions are wholly inefficient for the playing resources and task at hand.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:46 - Aug 9 with 1441 viewsGaryBannister86

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:39 - Aug 9 by themodfather

i have not read every thread but usually when we are donald ducked we call for OLLY, he has a proven record of working with nothing and getting results , with such limited funds it beggars belief we employ more staff internally ?
until next May we are still a championship club, based in london, hopefully able to secure new faces on the board to invest? get some positives going around the club and win some points asap.

Oh my lord. We've already got the modern-day version of Holloway as a manager. It's not going well.

I'm not the only one to hanker after the days of Warbs. A proper, respected face of the club who was a good manager at our level and wanted to play football. I am ashamed of myself that I used to get annoyed by the defenders arseing about with the ball all the time. Wish that was our only concern now.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:00 - Aug 9 with 1350 viewsdaveB

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:33 - Aug 9 by Northernr

Agree, but they chucked Critchley, who is a more progressive football coach under the bus, as well so I'm running a little low on patience for what these players like and don't like TBH.

He wasn't that progressive though was he, he played a 4-4-2 with Adomah and Willock as wingers. He wasn't hugely different to what Ainsworth is
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:05 - Aug 9 with 1312 viewsdaveB

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:46 - Aug 9 by GaryBannister86

Oh my lord. We've already got the modern-day version of Holloway as a manager. It's not going well.

I'm not the only one to hanker after the days of Warbs. A proper, respected face of the club who was a good manager at our level and wanted to play football. I am ashamed of myself that I used to get annoyed by the defenders arseing about with the ball all the time. Wish that was our only concern now.

I don't want Holloway back but Ainsworth is not a modern day version of him. He's nowhere near as good imo. Holloway was a great man manager, he got everyone on board and not just by being positive he gave rollockings when needed and backed them when needed. He was a mile better manager imo even in his second spell which wasn't great but light years ahead of this
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:11 - Aug 9 with 1277 viewsParkRoyalR

I would be really interested to know what these Warbuton 'behaviours' were?

Were they Neil Warnock / Mark Hughes type financial 'mis-behaviours'?

Or was it an Alex Fergurson type tuck your shirt-in, get to work at 7am, holding people from top to bottom to account type 'behaviours'?

I have always thought the latter, as the standards at our place are beyond a joke (using an aggregates company to refurbish the stadium toilet blocks, last two fixtures release breakfasts with the manager I've attended they either forgot to order in any still-water or were running down to the local Sainsburys to buy the croissants 5 minutes before everyone sat down - small things I get - but to have no water available for a 100 invited guests on a summers morning is just so us and symptomatic of no-one being held to account for anything)
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:19 - Aug 9 with 1225 viewsLblock

Ollie Part III?

Please no…… love the geezer and is an absolute legend for rebuilding the club from ashes; but, that last stint ended badly and I fear his health if he came back (which he undoubtedly would if asked).

It’s not going to happen but a few of Ollie’s old guard around the place wouldn’t go amiss. The Gallen Clan and their cohorts who have real empathy for the place but were pushed out by the current clique.
The ideal scenario is new brooms who have two things at the forefront of their remit - success and standards. These have been in woefully short supply under the current circus.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:22 - Aug 9 with 1204 viewsGaryBannister86

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:05 - Aug 9 by daveB

I don't want Holloway back but Ainsworth is not a modern day version of him. He's nowhere near as good imo. Holloway was a great man manager, he got everyone on board and not just by being positive he gave rollockings when needed and backed them when needed. He was a mile better manager imo even in his second spell which wasn't great but light years ahead of this

Fair point, Dave, if you rated Holloway. I think there is quite a lot of similarity, particularly in jibbering absolute nonsense and presenting themselves as a bit of a turnip.

I still can't get over how, regardless of our state, he has walked into QPR FC and managed to talk us into being some kind of hopeless minnow who should just be grateful to rub shoulders with some of the big beasts of the Championship.

I've said it before and I say it again, this kind of small fish mentality is 1) patently not true and 2) doesn't appear to work in motivating the players anyway. At least we boast about the training ground, now drum it into the players that we do have a history, it isn't that long ago we were the best London club in the top flight, we have a fan base that will turn up in their droves away from home if we just literally hear rumour that we strung two passes together in their last few games.....

Have pride, have identity. Fed up with being talked down like we are Yeading FC or something after a few promotions.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:30 - Aug 9 with 1148 viewsandrew1302

We are heading towards Yeading Town though! With the current set up are we currently better than League 1? I think we do have players who are but they are played in the wrong formation ie Chair out on the left , Wilock on the bench etc. Talk now is of offers coming in for Field and maybe Chair who clearly is pissed off with it all from his demeanour . Lose those and where are we then. Useless ownership, manager out of his depth, losing money hand over fist , most of the squad nowhere near Championship standard and poor tactics. Yeading here we come!!!!
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:38 - Aug 9 with 1082 viewsPhilmyRs

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:44 - Aug 9 by 1JD

I see the players following Gareth Ainsworth - I see it in every bit of play.

From the ridiculous Sunday league kick off routine of banging it long and straight to the opposition.

To the long balls in the channel designed to go over opposition full backs heads to get in behind, executed by Paal of all people. But never on, and possession given away. Time and again.

I see players running. I even see players trying. But the woefully inadequate set-up often makes it look like they are not.

When you set up with a 2-man CM, that proved ALL of last season it can’t do that, you’ll never be able make that 10-yard sprint to get to the ball first.

So you’ll look yards off the play. And the knock on effect to the rest of the team will be significant. Each and every player will be exposed thanks to the fundamental weak link, right at the heart of your team.

When you set up by minimising your best player, a #10, chair, who is best dictating and probing play, with freedom, but yet stuck out on the wing, as a peripheral figure, chasing shadows, doing doggies. Because as long as he works hard, first and foremost, that’s ok right?

I could go on and on. The squad is weak in places, but strong in others. There is plenty to work with. But to use a golfing analogy - you need to pick the right club, to hit the right shot.

Otherwise, as good as you actually are, or as much as you try, your poor selection of clubs will in fact make you look pretty crap/not good enough.

Players ARE following instructions, whether they want to or not. But no amount of “buy-in” will yield results when the instructions are wholly inefficient for the playing resources and task at hand.

Agree with all this.

Ultimately, the style and approach Ainsworth wants to implement is just not suited to this team and as NorthernR said, we'll probably close the window bringing in all the players that GA wants to enable his style of play to function effectively, and we'll sack him and employ somebody suited to playing with what we had last season/still have a bit of now. It's what this club does though, you just have to laugh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024