Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong - serious question 23:42 - Sep 8 with 4376 viewsfournil

I’m as enamoured as most with our ‘beast’, but has anyone ever seen him actually head a ball? Seems to be a serious facet missing from his game.
Armstrong - serious question on 23:59 - Sep 8 with 4326 viewsChrisNW6

Bit of a lost art nowadays and probably for the right reasons.

I'm sure he will score some headed goals but right now his game is pace and shot strength.

Doths tin hat 😁
Armstrong - serious question on 00:14 - Sep 9 with 4296 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He’s only 5’11. Hardly a target man.

I’d question sanity of any coach that watches him skittle defenders when the ball is played into his feet or on the end of a through ball and tries to convert him into Nikola Zigic or Jan Koller.
Armstrong - serious question on 05:45 - Sep 9 with 4124 viewsThaiHoop

Armstrong - serious question on 00:14 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

He’s only 5’11. Hardly a target man.

I’d question sanity of any coach that watches him skittle defenders when the ball is played into his feet or on the end of a through ball and tries to convert him into Nikola Zigic or Jan Koller.

Dot disagree with you but it's worth remembering Les is under 5'11 and he was superb at winning the ball in the air.

I'm sure it's something that he'll improve at, I think we have a LOT more to come from this kid 🙂
Armstrong - serious question on 06:29 - Sep 9 with 4049 viewsstevec

At the moment we’re desperate he’s the new Les but I fear, up on his own, good defenders are going to keep him under control for the most part and I’m not sure we can afford to play him in a 2 up front as we tend to get overrun in midfield.

Have a feeling he’s more suited to playing a little more wide in an Armond Traore type of roll.

Him one side, Smyth the other, Chair in a more forward central role, all we’d need is a goal scoring centre forward and we might be dangerous.
Armstrong - serious question on 08:22 - Sep 9 with 3882 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong - serious question on 05:45 - Sep 9 by ThaiHoop

Dot disagree with you but it's worth remembering Les is under 5'11 and he was superb at winning the ball in the air.

I'm sure it's something that he'll improve at, I think we have a LOT more to come from this kid 🙂

Good point, but I’d argue Ferdinand was a freak (and a £100m player in today’s market).
Armstrong - serious question on 08:34 - Sep 9 with 3844 viewsDorse

Armstrong - serious question on 08:22 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Good point, but I’d argue Ferdinand was a freak (and a £100m player in today’s market).

Wasn't Rosenior ridiculously good in the air too? Or did I dream that?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Armstrong - serious question on 08:42 - Sep 9 with 3826 viewsEsox_Lucius

I know that there are coaches of all levels on here so the answer may lay within but I was under the impression that, due to significant research showing that long term heading the ball can cause permanent, irreversible brain damage, heading the ball was no longer permitted at lower age levels and ergo, not developed in senior players.

The grass is always greener.

Armstrong - serious question on 08:53 - Sep 9 with 3790 viewsGloucs_R

Paul Parker was great in the air too and he was 4"7...

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong - serious question on 09:16 - Sep 9 with 3736 viewsHamptonR

Armstrong - serious question on 05:45 - Sep 9 by ThaiHoop

100% agree, there is more to come.

Les was amazing in the air, he seemed to hover, almost before the cross came over.
When he started, his game was all about pace and power, same as Armstrong.
Armstrong - serious question on 09:47 - Sep 9 with 3625 viewsbosh67

Armstrong - serious question on 08:53 - Sep 9 by Gloucs_R

I met Paul a number of years ago and I’m 5 foot 9. I almost had to kneel down to shake his hand. Yet he had a three foot vertical jump on him so regularly out headed forwards that were a foot taller and he could out pace anyone. Unbelievable player.

Re Sinclair I love the guy and his personality, but I feel he needs to work directly with Paul Furlong at the club to hone his skills. He needs a dedicated coach or he may end up being a player who’s just fast and powerful but has little end product. He’s the same height and build as Mike Tyson but as a footballer and that muscular he will burn out quicker in games. But as a personality with potential he’s a great example for the type of attitude we need in our players.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2023 9:48]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong - serious question on 09:54 - Sep 9 with 3609 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong - serious question on 08:53 - Sep 9 by Gloucs_R

Loved watching him out jump Fash the Bash.

Parker and Ferdinand seemed to have the ability to hang in the air.
Armstrong - serious question on 11:09 - Sep 9 with 3512 viewsPhilmyRs

Yep, Les was class, easily a £100m player but upping his heading numbers would transform Sinclair as a player. Good example is Ronaldo. When he was at United in his early days you wouldn’t have thought he’d become such a danger in the air - he’s scored some great headed goals in his time. There’s decent spring, and clear strength with SA, adding a bit of heading skills and what, 3 or 4 extra goals a season? and probably a similar number of assists?
Armstrong - serious question on 11:17 - Sep 9 with 3470 viewsbosh67

Armstrong - serious question on 09:54 - Sep 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Loved watching him out jump Fash the Bash.

Parker and Ferdinand seemed to have the ability to hang in the air.

Helguson was the one. He was 5 foot 10 and I swear the guy could fly and hover like a humming bird. Best penalty technique we’ve seen from a player here.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong - serious question on 15:04 - Sep 9 with 3210 viewskernowhoop

I enjoy seeing him play and if heading the ball is not his thing, I am not too worried. What might worry me more is his eyesight. He has had one or two odd moments in front of goal (one at Middlesbrough, for example) when I wondered why he did not manage a shot. Doubtless there were other reasons for that, but I was uneasy when he admitted after the Cardiff match that he was lucky to see the one that he did put away - his contact lens had slipped.
Armstrong - serious question on 21:41 - Sep 9 with 2975 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong - serious question on 11:09 - Sep 9 by PhilmyRs

Yep, Les was class, easily a £100m player but upping his heading numbers would transform Sinclair as a player. Good example is Ronaldo. When he was at United in his early days you wouldn’t have thought he’d become such a danger in the air - he’s scored some great headed goals in his time. There’s decent spring, and clear strength with SA, adding a bit of heading skills and what, 3 or 4 extra goals a season? and probably a similar number of assists?

I think it would be a distraction. I’d much rather he work on his movement in the box and his finishing. I think he has for what it’s worth.

I think if we are looking for Les Ferdinand, Paul Parker, and Christiano Ronaldo sort of improvements we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Players with that kind of potential don’t play for QPR aged 20.
Armstrong - serious question on 21:46 - Sep 9 with 2963 viewslightwaterhoop

Armstrong - serious question on 21:41 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think it would be a distraction. I’d much rather he work on his movement in the box and his finishing. I think he has for what it’s worth.

I think if we are looking for Les Ferdinand, Paul Parker, and Christiano Ronaldo sort of improvements we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Players with that kind of potential don’t play for QPR aged 20.

But Les did.
Armstrong - serious question on 21:57 - Sep 9 with 2945 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong - serious question on 21:46 - Sep 9 by lightwaterhoop

But Les did.

When Les was twenty the Soviet Union was still in full swing and Belinda Carlisle was number one.

Maybe he could be the next Les Ferdinand, but it won’t be done by confusing him about what he’s good at and what role he has right now. He hasn’t mastered running at people yet.

You can always work on players, but I just don’t see it in him.
Armstrong - serious question on 23:44 - Sep 9 with 2810 viewsPhilmyRs

Armstrong - serious question on 21:41 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

If you followed Rangers in the late 80s and early 90s (sounds like you didn’t), you’d know Les dramatically improved as a player and was a very similar age to Armstrong. To suggest a similar transformation is out of reach for Armstrong seems lazy. And let’s be clear, I’m not expecting Ronaldo with SA but Ronaldo improved his heading immeasurably during, and post United - Why can’t SA do the same? Not asking him to get to Ronaldo levels of finishing, but heading…? He could do worse then take a look at how committed Ronaldo has been to winning and scoring goals with his head.
Armstrong - serious question on 00:18 - Sep 10 with 2759 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong - serious question on 23:44 - Sep 9 by PhilmyRs

If you followed Rangers in the late 80s and early 90s (sounds like you didn’t), you’d know Les dramatically improved as a player and was a very similar age to Armstrong. To suggest a similar transformation is out of reach for Armstrong seems lazy. And let’s be clear, I’m not expecting Ronaldo with SA but Ronaldo improved his heading immeasurably during, and post United - Why can’t SA do the same? Not asking him to get to Ronaldo levels of finishing, but heading…? He could do worse then take a look at how committed Ronaldo has been to winning and scoring goals with his head.

Well I was a bit young in the late eighties but worshipped Les once I was old enough
in the early nineties.

QPR were established in the first division then, and on a more even playing field. We finished fourth five years later! In todays game, they measure potential when they are sixteen and SA would have been swept up into an academy by now. Les too if he was in SA’s shoes today.

Non league (or LOI) players just don’t turn into the Les Ferdinands any more. The examples cited here today are the exceptions to the rule.

Jamie Vardy was the last one and even that was fifteen years ago!

I’m just saying be realistic and maybe asking people to read the room. Two minutes after he gets called up for his country he gets criticised for his heading. That thought process mystifies me!

I hope he does turn into Les, but I’m not going to pick out his failings in the meantime. That way lies misery.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 8:52]
Armstrong - serious question on 00:44 - Sep 10 with 2714 viewsBoston

Armstrong - serious question on 21:57 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

When Les was twenty the Soviet Union was still in full swing and Belinda Carlisle was number one.

Maybe he could be the next Les Ferdinand, but it won’t be done by confusing him about what he’s good at and what role he has right now. He hasn’t mastered running at people yet.

when Les was 20, you were 19...inches around the waist.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Armstrong - serious question on 08:42 - Sep 10 with 2465 viewsdutch

Armstrong - serious question on 21:57 - Sep 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Belinda Carlisle is still pretty high in my charts.
Armstrong - serious question on 09:28 - Sep 10 with 2362 viewsPhilmyRs

Armstrong - serious question on 00:18 - Sep 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well I was a bit young in the late eighties but worshipped Les once I was old enough
in the early nineties.

QPR were established in the first division then, and on a more even playing field. We finished fourth five years later! In todays game, they measure potential when they are sixteen and SA would have been swept up into an academy by now. Les too if he was in SA’s shoes today.

Non league (or LOI) players just don’t turn into the Les Ferdinands any more. The examples cited here today are the exceptions to the rule.

Jamie Vardy was the last one and even that was fifteen years ago!

I’m just saying be realistic and maybe asking people to read the room. Two minutes after he gets called up for his country he gets criticised for his heading. That thought process mystifies me!

I hope he does turn into Les, but I’m not going to pick out his failings in the meantime. That way lies misery.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 8:52]

I just don’t get what the problem is with identifying a weakness (heading) and looking at the type of player he is (pace and physicality) and looking to improve this part of his game - it would make him a better player which is surely what both he and us want? It’s not rocket science. We’re not getting the player to stop doing all the good things and reinventing him, but can he time runs better and arrive in the box at the right time, can he time runs to get above centre backs to win flick ons, can he work on generating decent pace via contact with the ball, can he get across his man ahead of delivery from wide coming into the box, all basic things that can, and should be worked on.

When Ivan Toney got his Newcastle move should the player and coaches just have said he’s raw, but exciting player, let’s just leave him to it or has the player been continually coached to get better. The Toney you see now is 100 times the player in the air than the one signed by Newcastle.
Armstrong - serious question on 14:17 - Sep 10 with 2204 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong - serious question on 09:28 - Sep 10 by PhilmyRs

I just don’t get what the problem is with identifying a weakness (heading) and looking at the type of player he is (pace and physicality) and looking to improve this part of his game - it would make him a better player which is surely what both he and us want? It’s not rocket science. We’re not getting the player to stop doing all the good things and reinventing him, but can he time runs better and arrive in the box at the right time, can he time runs to get above centre backs to win flick ons, can he work on generating decent pace via contact with the ball, can he get across his man ahead of delivery from wide coming into the box, all basic things that can, and should be worked on.

When Ivan Toney got his Newcastle move should the player and coaches just have said he’s raw, but exciting player, let’s just leave him to it or has the player been continually coached to get better. The Toney you see now is 100 times the player in the air than the one signed by Newcastle.

I’ve said several times working on his heading is fine. This is some distance from:

‘has anyone ever seen him actually head a ball? Seems to be a serious facet missing from his game’

Which is what the OP said upon hearing the news of his call up.

Ivan Toney, another unrealistic comparison IMO, had got 100 league games and 25 league goals when he was 20. Sinclair has played 25 and 1 goal.
Armstrong - serious question on 21:09 - Sep 11 with 1892 viewsCiderwithRsie

Armstrong - serious question on 08:42 - Sep 10 by dutch

Belinda Carlisle is still pretty high in my charts.

Rightly so. Enjoy.

(Mind you, I always fancied Jane Wiedlin more)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024