Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under estimated QPR Players 07:16 - Nov 9 with 10735 viewsnumptydumpty

One that springs to mind for me

Big Matt Smith

Scored pretty regularly when coming on as sub with his head.

In fact wouldn't he have been the man upon top for an Ainsworth team.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 7:16]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Under estimated QPR Players on 07:27 - Nov 9 with 6251 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Holloway - played in a team of galacticos in comparison to many teams since, and worked his socks off for it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Under estimated QPR Players on 07:28 - Nov 9 with 6252 viewsSK_hoops

Andy Thomson. Was quite proflic (especially when compared to what we have now) for us, but you don't hear his name much.
Under estimated QPR Players on 07:43 - Nov 9 with 6205 viewsRs_Holy

Paul Goddard ... He rarely got the headlines when playing along side Clive Allen but he was a great team player. he would always pass to a teammate if they were in a better position... Something a lot of strikers fail to do.
Under estimated QPR Players on 08:03 - Nov 9 with 6156 viewsLblock

Andy Tilson

As centre backs went back then - pure silk.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:17 - Nov 9 with 6121 viewsGaryBannister86

Under estimated QPR Players on 07:27 - Nov 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Holloway - played in a team of galacticos in comparison to many teams since, and worked his socks off for it.

Couldn't disagree more, Mr Honneywood.

Talentless footballer lucky to be surrounded by 10 quality players. When he played, everyone sighed before kick off, and our chances of winning went down by around 99.9%.

Useless.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 8:18]
Under estimated QPR Players on 08:31 - Nov 9 with 6069 viewsdmm

Andy Impey, now an assistant Development Squad coach. He was understandably often in the shadow of Trevor Sinclair, who played on the opposite side, but was a great winger for us. I loved seeing him and Sinclair destroy opposition full backs then switch wings and both do the same on the other side.
Under estimated QPR Players on 08:34 - Nov 9 with 6059 viewsTheChef

Idrissa Sylla always seems much maligned - not the most graceful but he did have a knack of finding the net. Bet most people would have him now!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:35 - Nov 9 with 6058 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don’t think matt smith was underrated. I think everyone knew exactly his strengths and his limitations. Quite a lot of people didn’t want him to be sold at the time.
Luongo was underrated by a lot of fans, overrated by others (me!)
Guilty secret: i didn’t think leroy fer was bad at all.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:42 - Nov 9 with 6039 viewsjoe90

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:35 - Nov 9 by Antti_Heinola

I don’t think matt smith was underrated. I think everyone knew exactly his strengths and his limitations. Quite a lot of people didn’t want him to be sold at the time.
Luongo was underrated by a lot of fans, overrated by others (me!)
Guilty secret: i didn’t think leroy fer was bad at all.

Leory Fer was a quality player, I don't think we saw the best of him though. That goal against Newcastle was sensational!

My pick would be James Perch. Good utility player at our level.
Under estimated QPR Players on 08:43 - Nov 9 with 6034 viewsjoe90

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:34 - Nov 9 by TheChef

Idrissa Sylla always seems much maligned - not the most graceful but he did have a knack of finding the net. Bet most people would have him now!

Should have replaced pigbag with this for his goals!

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:45 - Nov 9 with 6028 viewsloftus77

Martyn Busby. Often a boo-boy in the late 70s when the extent of his injuries were perhaps not common knowledge. In reality, a very talented player.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:09 - Nov 9 with 5971 viewsdaveB

Not sure if he counts in this but loved Marcus Bignot, would play left back or right back or in midfield, always solid and him coming back in 2003/04 season after Forbes was arrested helped us get over the line for promotion
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:27 - Nov 9 with 5877 viewsjohnhoop

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:45 - Nov 9 by loftus77

Martyn Busby. Often a boo-boy in the late 70s when the extent of his injuries were perhaps not common knowledge. In reality, a very talented player.

Completely agree with this. That terrible broken leg he suffered at Fulham was a tragedy for both himself and Rangers because up to that point it was a toss up as to who was the better player between him and Gerry Francis and they could both have been in the England team.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:28 - Nov 9 with 5875 viewsMrSheen

Matthew Rose. Attracted ridicule and irritation for his frequent absences, but a glass half-full analysis would conclude he was an excellent and versatile player at our level.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:30 - Nov 9 with 5873 viewsBlue_Castello

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:45 - Nov 9 by loftus77

Really rated Martyn Busby, he was getting better and better then that night game at Craven Cottage, I was there on the terraces and heard the crack when his leg broke, gut wrenching at the time, he went through rehab but never regained his form a real shame.

Agree with Anti about Smith and Luongo, Smith had the speed of a Slow Loris but importantly contributed with goals, assists and had good link up play, and I never understood why people didn't rate Luongo, he was very important in the Scowen, Freeman and Luongo season, his drive from midfield gave the team its momentum and not surprisingly it's what we've been missing for a while.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 9:40]
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:32 - Nov 9 with 5865 viewsdannyblue

Ossy Kakay. Almost always available, always tries, never lets his head drop. Can actually put in a decent cross.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:36 - Nov 9 with 5839 viewsQPRSteve

Agree about Busby. Have never forgiven Paul Went.

Surely the most underrated has to be Mick Leach. Fantastic player who could feature upfront or in midfield. Hated by some at Rangers just because he would replace an injured Rodney or Stan.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:55 - Nov 9 with 5789 viewsEsox_Lucius

Tjaronn Chery. Just a reminder.

The grass is always greener.

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:04 - Nov 9 with 5756 viewsGaryBannister86

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:55 - Nov 9 by Esox_Lucius

Great shout Tjaronn Chery. He had ability.

My votes for most underrated players goes to, in modern times, Dieng and Dykes.

In olden times, Colin Clarke. He used to get all sorts of stick and I never understood why. Thought he was excellent and knew where the net was.
Under estimated QPR Players on 10:06 - Nov 9 with 5745 viewsrobith

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:55 - Nov 9 by Esox_Lucius

He was pretty rated though, wasn't he? I mean, the whole team was built around him
Under estimated QPR Players on 10:17 - Nov 9 with 5704 viewsdmm

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:36 - Nov 9 by QPRSteve

Agree about Busby. Have never forgiven Paul Went.

Surely the most underrated has to be Mick Leach. Fantastic player who could feature upfront or in midfield. Hated by some at Rangers just because he would replace an injured Rodney or Stan.

After all these years, I still feel bad about how Mick Leach was sometimes treated by Rs fans. You are absolutely right of course, he was a great player and an absolute stalwart for us.

Danny Paddox has an amazing Mick Leach story if he cares to divulge.
Under estimated QPR Players on 10:31 - Nov 9 with 5660 viewsAntti_Heinola

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:06 - Nov 9 by robith

He was pretty rated though, wasn't he? I mean, the whole team was built around him

Weellll... there was a lot of complaints about him, and JFH was ridiculed on a podcast for saying he was our best player and so he builds the side around him. In that, JFH was correct., but Chery was continually blamed by fans for our strikers not finishing the chances he created, and in turn ridiculed for going to China, and seen as not really that great.
Then he played Champions League football to join the growing band of players many of our fans believe weren't 'good enough' but went on to do well elsewhere or even just have solid careers in the championship.

Bare bones.

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:32 - Nov 9 with 5659 viewsTheChef

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:06 - Nov 9 by robith

Yeah wouldn't say he was underrated!

Isn't this thread more about players who fans thought were sh1t at the time, but in hindsight weren't that bad?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:36 - Nov 9 with 5629 viewsEsox_Lucius

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:32 - Nov 9 by TheChef

Yeah wouldn't say he was underrated!

Isn't this thread more about players who fans thought were sh1t at the time, but in hindsight weren't that bad?

See Antti's post above yours.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 10:36]

The grass is always greener.

Under estimated QPR Players on 10:37 - Nov 9 with 5625 viewsLoyalitat

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:34 - Nov 9 by TheChef

Absolutely this.

Scorned, derided, mocked. Yet his goals to games ratio was in the region of 3.5. Very good, when you consider about 54% of his appearances were from the bench. Started 28 games, substitute appearances: 33 games. Goals scored 17.

For reference, our Scotstralian has started over 85% of the time. But he's doing his best.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 10:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024