Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet Another Alcohol Thread 23:02 - Nov 19 with 4685 viewsBoston

I've always consumed stout, not as my regular beer of choice, just on an occasional, thicken the blood type basis. It started with Mackesson, moved on to Guinness, but this summer I've shifted to Murphy's. It's available at a local supermarket, retailing for $5.99 a four pack, compared to $8.99 for old Arthur's offering. Though happy to experiment and have tried many other brewers porters, but never found any that grabbed my tastebuds attention.
It's an each way bet that McCarthy's grandfather invented the stuff.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 23:35]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 23:33 - Nov 19 with 3833 viewsTomS

I remember being invited (and paid might I add) by Guinness to take part in a blind tasting of stouts. I correctly identified Guinness with its distinctive bitter taste. I recall Beamish was much sweeter by comparison, while Murphy's didn't really taste of anything.

Like any drink, whisky, wine, whatever, just go with whichever tipple you enjoy. The industry doesn't really mind which brand you choose as long as you keep buying their products.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 23:46]
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 23:42 - Nov 19 with 3813 viewsSydneyRs

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 23:33 - Nov 19 by TomS

I remember being invited (and paid might I add) by Guinness to take part in a blind tasting of stouts. I correctly identified Guinness with its distinctive bitter taste. I recall Beamish was much sweeter by comparison, while Murphy's didn't really taste of anything.

Like any drink, whisky, wine, whatever, just go with whichever tipple you enjoy. The industry doesn't really mind which brand you choose as long as you keep buying their products.

Always preferred Guinness over Murphy's but have to accept the Murphy's slogan in their ads "like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter" was pretty good.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 23:44 - Nov 19 with 3810 viewsBoston

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 23:33 - Nov 19 by TomS

Now this is interesting, because I'd have put Guinness down as the blander bland.

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 00:10 - Nov 20 with 3780 viewsBoston

That's right Walker, I said a milk stout ... next time I'll glass ya.

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 06:35 - Nov 20 with 3671 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As I kid I was scrawny, perpetually ill and visiting doctors and hospitals regularly. If someone sneezed at the end of the street, by week's end I had a cold.

My dad was back in Ireland when his father suggested I shiuld drink a sherry sized glass of Guinness and the top of gold label milk three times a day.

So, from the age of four until I was seven, I drank Guinness three times a day! After which, I was a damn sight more solid.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 09:04 - Nov 20 with 3537 views100percent

Brewdog are competing strongly in the market with their Blackheart stout.
I don't think anyone will ever replace the historic market share that Guinness has, but it's interesting to see new products coming through with a reasonable marketing budget to test their mettle.
Been a long time since I drank alcohol, but I used to love a pint of Murphys or better still a pint of Beamish... have to say that the Guinness 0.0 is excellent though.....
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 09:34 - Nov 20 with 3493 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not related to the Murphys, no, Boston. And a Guinness drinker, which is a sin for a Corkman. Murphys is probably a better, cleaner pint with no additives at all apparently, but I find it slightly sweet.

Like Honney, I was a small and scrawny kid, and had a bottle of Guinness with my dinner for a good few years. Yummmmmm.....

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 09:50 - Nov 20 with 3467 viewsjohann28

Here's a few you might wish to try

County Carlow Irish Stout, M&S
Not too heavy nor aggressively dry, this one works through its toasty, lightly chocolate flavours.

Meantime London Stout, Waitrose
Unlike traditional Irish stouts, this contains no roasted barley, but is, instead, a complex malt only stout. Each mouthful delivers something subtly different: a dark mellow fruitiness, coffeeish flavours, toasted brown bread, a smoky assertive bitterness, even. Good stuff.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Tesco
You'd guess that chocolate malt would taste of chocolate, but just how authentically is a bit of a shocker. Here, that milk chocolatey flavour is nicely foregrounded against a little dark, roasted character. Less sickly, but just as warming, you may never drink hot chocolate again.

Tesco Finest, Traditional Porter, Tesco
If ever there was a clear distinction between porters and stouts, it is now, for all practical drinking purposes, irrelevant. This is brewed with oats, it's big and powerful, and rounds out in an almost tarry dryness. Incidentally, it gives me no pleasure to big up Tesco like this, but it does stock good stouts.

Oh - and if you ever see Nethergate's Old Growler, make sure you give it a try - superb stuff. I've had some recently in the Spoons by Shepherd's Bush's Green and in Ealing.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 9:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 10:00 - Nov 20 with 3418 viewsmikeygunn

I had a Forged Irish Stout, take the fact it’s owned by Connor McGregor (who is a pr!ck) out the equation and its a very worthy addition to the conversation. The winner for me, is the Franciscan Well stout. Unbelievable and I could drink it all night, which I can’t do with others.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 10:04 - Nov 20 with 3409 viewsPikey

I like Guiness but it lays heavy after a few.
About 10 years back they bought out a Guiness Red ( Oneills used to sell it) same presentation of a head and taste but a little lighter. Just got the taste for it and a decent session beer and it dissapeared.
Wish it would come back.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 11:37 - Nov 20 with 3313 viewsW4Hoop

My sister trained as a hospital nurse in Dublin in the 70s. She told me that for gastric problems they used to prescribe a "Guinness Sandwich": a pint of milk, then a pint of Guinness, then another pint of milk. Worked a treat, she said.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 11:45 - Nov 20 with 3291 viewscyprusmel

I was in Park Royal Hospital in the early 60's and the nurses used to bring round for all the patients that wanted any, a trolly full of bottled Guinness and Tolly ale.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 11:55 - Nov 20 with 3270 viewslightwaterhoop

I used to donate blood at the Guinness Park Royal brewery years ago and they would give you a half pint of Guinness afterwards if you wanted it.The old bottled Guinness was great stuff.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:01 - Nov 20 with 3261 viewsextratimeR

Always Murphy's, ( when I can get it), much better taste than Guinness which I normally drink, ( which is a tadge bland compared to Murphy's.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:23 - Nov 20 with 3210 viewsMrSheen

I loved Guinness out of a pint bottle in Ireland, I preferred the yeasty bite to relatively sour and inert draught. My guts didn’t agree and they might have had the last laugh as it has disappeared in the last 15 years.

Youngs had a very nice stout on draught for a while but it didn’t survive Covid. Brewdog’s is horrible dead stuff.
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:25 - Nov 20 with 3209 viewsrobith

Love Guinness, and when back in the Motherland you can't bate a Creamy Beamy.

Call me a basic bitch, but all other like "proper" stouts and porters I find absolutely revolting. My wife is forever buying stuff like 9% sea salt and cherry porter from local breweries and it's absolute muck
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:36 - Nov 20 with 3186 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 10:00 - Nov 20 by mikeygunn

I had a Forged Irish Stout, take the fact it’s owned by Connor McGregor (who is a pr!ck) out the equation and its a very worthy addition to the conversation. The winner for me, is the Franciscan Well stout. Unbelievable and I could drink it all night, which I can’t do with others.

Franciscan Well brewery is just down the road from me here in Cork City. Nice to hear of it doing well abroad. A decent pint alright.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:54 - Nov 20 with 3163 viewsBklynRanger

Would be interested to know which London/West London pubs people think do decent guinness (or other stout) these days. In the 90s The Swan in Stockwell was good, I think, but no idea these days.

I had one of these a couple of months ago and am still digesting it.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 12:55]
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 13:52 - Nov 20 with 3073 viewsrobith

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 12:54 - Nov 20 by BklynRanger

Would be interested to know which London/West London pubs people think do decent guinness (or other stout) these days. In the 90s The Swan in Stockwell was good, I think, but no idea these days.

I had one of these a couple of months ago and am still digesting it.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 12:55]

My top list would be

Guinea Grill
Auld Shileagh
Coach and Horses
Sheephaven Bay

The Devonshire has just opened and looks like it's good - the landlord can be a bit of plum on social media but he knows how to run a boozer
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 14:09 - Nov 20 with 3041 viewsBrazilNutR

This is good stuff... the name makes you think it is super strong, but is 4.8% - drank it on draught, so can't vouch if it is quite as good in a bottle..

[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 14:11]
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 14:20 - Nov 20 with 3009 viewsJimmyR

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 13:52 - Nov 20 by robith

My top list would be

Guinea Grill
Auld Shileagh
Coach and Horses
Sheephaven Bay

The Devonshire has just opened and looks like it's good - the landlord can be a bit of plum on social media but he knows how to run a boozer

Agree with all of those but I’d like to add…. Mannions Prince Arthur
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 14:25 - Nov 20 with 2998 viewscolinallcars

I love a good alcohol thread.

My family motto ?
Omnes Blotto !
Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 15:03 - Nov 20 with 2944 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 11:37 - Nov 20 by W4Hoop

My sister trained as a hospital nurse in Dublin in the 70s. She told me that for gastric problems they used to prescribe a "Guinness Sandwich": a pint of milk, then a pint of Guinness, then another pint of milk. Worked a treat, she said.

Even I can remember being in hospital and seeing the black stuff being poured for my fellow patients; while I got liquorice!

Earlier this year, I was in a place called Baune in the Burgundy region, and visited one of the first genuine hospitals if not in France, then the world, dating back to even before Sandro was born!

Anyway, wine was seen as having medicinal qualities, and here are the various 'daily' allowances (I hasten to add, giving it to patients is one thing, but the staff!):

Male employees - 1 litre.
Male patients - 500 mls.
Female patients, orphans and servants - 400 mls.
Nuns - 350 mls.
Incurable women or residents - 300 mls.
Sick children - 250 mls!

In 1888, they polished off over 26,000 litres!

I can only but imagine liver sclerosis patients were up in 1889.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 15:37 - Nov 20 with 2917 viewsTheChef

Enjoy a good pint of stout - although must say given the choice I prefer Murphy's and Beamish over Guinness.

Can you still buy Murphy's and Beamish in the UK?? Not seen them anywhere for quite a while.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 15:56 - Nov 20 with 2889 viewsrobith

Yet Another Alcohol Thread on 14:20 - Nov 20 by JimmyR

Agree with all of those but I’d like to add…. Mannions Prince Arthur

ffs man i left that off on purpose
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024