Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most under-rated players at the Rs 20:04 - Jan 25 with 3031 viewsstainrods_elbow

2nd thread of 2 in this exciting/now concluded series!

Here's your starter for 10 (all wingers):

Ian Stewart
Gareth Ainsworth
Nasser El Khayati

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 20:43 - Jan 25 with 2543 viewsaston_hoop

I suppose a lot of these picks are going to be a little controversial but for me, Georges Santos. I thought he was a lot better than the stick he got. He wasn't Ray Wilkins but he certainly wasn't Andre Dozzell either.

That and Massimo Luongo who's stats mark him out as one of the top midfielders in the Championship now. Maybe it was just how we used him, who knows. I suppose he did win POTY one year so perhaps he wasn't underrated

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 20:52 - Jan 25 with 2518 viewsQPRSteve

Mick Leach

Kevin Gallen - well at least by Gerry Francis!
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 21:07 - Jan 25 with 2484 viewsPunteR

Gazza1 will tell you its Colback.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 21:20 - Jan 25 with 2452 viewsBluce_Ree

Rob Green.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 21:21 - Jan 25 with 2445 viewsShotKneesHoop

Mick Leach,

Danny Shitthu,

Garry O''Neill

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 21:28 - Jan 25 with 2433 viewsStainrod

Chair
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 21:39 - Jan 25 with 2407 viewsGloucs_R

Padula
P Furlong
Wilson

Poll: Are we staying up?

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 02:02 - Jan 26 with 2234 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Martin Rowlands. On the face of it this may sound like a strange pick but at the time I felt like he didn't quite receive the plaudits that he deserved.

Perhaps he was overshadowed by Gallen's magic hat, Bircham's blue hair, Furlong's goals, or Gino's cult status? I don't recall whether we even had a song for him.

Whatever the case, listening to Clarke Carlisle's recent interview, it's apparent just how respected he was by his peers.
Login to get fewer ads

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 03:18 - Jan 26 with 2200 viewsnumptydumpty

Simon Barker

All energy and the occasional goal and enabled Wilkins to do all that he did !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 04:28 - Jan 26 with 2161 viewsQPROslo

From Mick Leach and Don Masson to Andre Dozzell, no doubt many others in the 50 years inbetween.
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 05:56 - Jan 26 with 2128 viewsHillAndDerry

I thought Kaspars Gorkss and Matthew Connolly were an excellent CB partnership during our title-winning season. Very solid and comfortable on the ball. Played a key part in our promotion but rarely talked about in the same vein as Taarabt, Faurlin, Routledge, etc.
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 06:31 - Jan 26 with 2102 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 03:18 - Jan 26 by numptydumpty

Simon Barker

All energy and the occasional goal and enabled Wilkins to do all that he did !!!

Agree, Barker for me. I seem to recall he missed a penalty in front of the Loft early in his career with us (maybe v Derby), and he got pelters.

Did the dirty work, like Holloway, but was a much better player, and scored the odd cracker. My favourite player from my youth, along with Ray.

What a midfield we had!
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 09:04 - Jan 26 with 2018 viewsBluce_Ree

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 03:18 - Jan 26 by numptydumpty

Simon Barker

We finished in the top half of the league in 93/94 and 94/95. We had some great defenders and Ferdinand up front. But we had Barker and Holloway in midfield which might have been the weak spot in the team. If we'd gotten some real quality in there who knows what we would have been capable of?

Although, the chairman was about to ruin us. So it would have been for nowt.
[Post edited 26 Jan 9:05]

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 09:46 - Jan 26 with 1964 viewsnumptydumpty

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 09:04 - Jan 26 by Bluce_Ree

We finished in the top half of the league in 93/94 and 94/95. We had some great defenders and Ferdinand up front. But we had Barker and Holloway in midfield which might have been the weak spot in the team. If we'd gotten some real quality in there who knows what we would have been capable of?

Although, the chairman was about to ruin us. So it would have been for nowt.
[Post edited 26 Jan 9:05]

Not sure I agree with that.

You need the hod carrier for the project manager to do his job.

Saw Scholes interviewed recently and he said if Michael Carrick had been the central midfielder selected every time alongside any one of himself, Gerrard or Lampard as the other centre midfielder then England would have done so much better.

Ie Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes were often all selected in the same team.

So in similar way Barker or Holloway alongside Wilkins.

It's about the team.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 09:48 - Jan 26 with 1962 viewsEsox_Lucius

Don Masson.

The grass is always greener.

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 10:23 - Jan 26 with 1934 viewsBluce_Ree

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 09:46 - Jan 26 by numptydumpty

Not sure I agree with that.

You need the hod carrier for the project manager to do his job.

Saw Scholes interviewed recently and he said if Michael Carrick had been the central midfielder selected every time alongside any one of himself, Gerrard or Lampard as the other centre midfielder then England would have done so much better.

Ie Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes were often all selected in the same team.

So in similar way Barker or Holloway alongside Wilkins.

It's about the team.

I get you but sometimes you need a better hod carrier.

But yeah Lampard used to get the central midfield position and they'd do mad shit like putting Gerrard out on the left. Gerrard was our best player and we wasted him. Another reason to hate Fat Frank.

Although, fk Steven Gerrard too. Obviously.

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 10:33 - Jan 26 with 1917 viewsPaddyhoops

Dom Ball. Legend
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 12:00 - Jan 26 with 1862 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another vote for Barker.

Much, much better player than many gave him credit for.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 12:24 - Jan 26 with 1830 viewsTomS

Cast your minds back to life in the third tier. Everyone remembers the play off final season and the following promotion season with Furlong and Gallen scoring freely. But nobody ever talks about the 2001/02 season. We had a 20+ goal striker that year who has been forgotten in the mists of time. I nominate Andy Thompson. How we would love someone with his goalscoring instinct today.
[Post edited 26 Jan 12:56]
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 12:32 - Jan 26 with 1818 viewsPhilmyRs

Tommy Smith. The player that doesn't get too many mentions when we think of the Warnock season but thought he was excellent for us. Came across as a decent pro as well.
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 13:51 - Jan 26 with 1735 viewsPaddyhoops

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 12:32 - Jan 26 by PhilmyRs

Tommy Smith. The player that doesn't get too many mentions when we think of the Warnock season but thought he was excellent for us. Came across as a decent pro as well.

Met him at Luton airport a few years ago. A gent as well.
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:04 - Jan 26 with 1714 viewsSheffieldHoop

I thought Damion Stewart was a better player than he got credit for. Dodgy start (tbf he was given Zesh Rehman as his CB partner) but goals + pace + the odd horrendous tackle. What's not to like?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:06 - Jan 26 with 1721 viewsPeterHucker

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 05:56 - Jan 26 by HillAndDerry

I thought Kaspars Gorkss and Matthew Connolly were an excellent CB partnership during our title-winning season. Very solid and comfortable on the ball. Played a key part in our promotion but rarely talked about in the same vein as Taarabt, Faurlin, Routledge, etc.

Absolutely.
Bradley Orr as well deserves more credit that he ever gets.

I think when people talk about the Warnock promotion season they forget how much of it was built on a back 4 made up of no nonsense defenders.
Back 5 if you count Paddy Kenny.
And they were consistently available to play too.

I remember thinking at the time it was the first time in bloody years we’d had a solid and reliable defence.

Kenny, Orr, Gorkks, Connolly, Hill.
People don’t give that team or Warnock enough credit. We all loved the flair and attacking ability of Taraabt, Smith, Helguson, Faurlin, Ephraim, Routledge, Kyle Walker etc

But just like all great bands, all great teams are built on a solid backline.
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:11 - Jan 26 with 1708 viewsslmrstid

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:06 - Jan 26 by PeterHucker

Absolutely.

I think when people talk about the Warnock promotion season they forget how much of it was built on a back 4 made up of no nonsense defenders.

I remember thinking at the time it was the first time in bloody years we’d had a solid and reliable defence.

People don’t give that team or Warnock enough credit. We all loved the flair and attacking ability of Taraabt, Smith, Helguson, Faurlin, Ephraim, Routledge, Kyle Walker etc

The great problem Bradley Orr had was he got injured, and got replaced by Kyle Walker for 4/5 months who was just an absolutely unbelievable player for the level, so when Brad came back it felt like a downgrade, which was unfair on him really as he was very good for us that year.

I've probably said this before but that season I only missed 10 games all year and ended up getting to know his Dad and Uncle who drove from Liverpool to see him play in every game he played for every club he played for (although I assume when he went to Canada at the end of his career they didnt follow him there...)

Got to the point they offered to get Bradley to get me tickets for a few games, which I didn't need and so was able to decline, but it was very kind of them to offer all the same. Nice guys, wonder if they went down the same Citizens Movement rabbit hole Bradley did during Covid...
Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:11 - Jan 26 with 1701 viewsSheffieldHoop

Most under-rated players at the Rs on 14:06 - Jan 26 by PeterHucker

Absolutely.

Tbf with Orr, we had Walker come in for a bit. You felt Walker's absence in the second half of the season. Orr wasn't a bad player for us by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not Kyle Walker.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024