Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR in the 1950s 08:10 - Feb 28 with 3145 viewsTGRRRSSS

Was reading a book about 1950s recently got me thinking not much about football then beyond Munich and the odd player.

I wondered about QPR then, anyone from the era got memories etc.

So long ago but I think are most capped player was from 50s
QPR in the 1950s on 09:53 - Feb 28 with 2380 viewsW4Hoop

The former Labour MP Alan Johnson grew up in West London in the 1950s. He was and is a fervent QPR supporter and talks about going to matches in his autobiography "This Boy". Recommended.
QPR in the 1950s on 10:01 - Feb 28 with 2361 viewsCamberleyR

Isn't Macca our most capped player?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

QPR in the 1950s on 10:02 - Feb 28 with 2349 viewsBexleyHoop

Yep 50+ caps
QPR in the 1950s on 12:29 - Feb 28 with 2193 viewsDavieQPR

Saw my first game in the 50's. We played in white shirts, no floodlights until '53. Only one stand and you could walk from one end to the other via concourse.
QPR in the 1950s on 14:35 - Feb 28 with 2098 viewscolinallcars

As a kid I remember a Three Card Monte player conning people outside White City station.
Percy Dalton's peanuts and Bovril on sale at the ground.
SA rd terrace open to the elements. Two stairways leading to ground level from the top of the terraces. Many chose to negotiate the muddy slope instead. I heard one chap was killed trying that.
QPR in the 1950s on 15:18 - Feb 28 with 2013 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR in the 1950s on 14:35 - Feb 28 by colinallcars

As a kid I remember a Three Card Monte player conning people outside White City station.
Percy Dalton's peanuts and Bovril on sale at the ground.
SA rd terrace open to the elements. Two stairways leading to ground level from the top of the terraces. Many chose to negotiate the muddy slope instead. I heard one chap was killed trying that.

I remember the peanut man in the 70’s when I started standing in the loft.
QPR in the 1950s on 15:26 - Feb 28 with 2008 viewscyprusmel

QPR in the 1950s on 15:18 - Feb 28 by stowmarketrange

I remember the peanut man in the 70’s when I started standing in the loft.

I remember the peanut man walking around the ground, if you were at the back you would pass your money down to the front hand by hand until it got to the peanut seller and he would take the money hand over the peanuts and they were passed hand by hand back up to the buyer.
Good days when there was honesty and trust.
My first game was in 1951.
QPR in the 1950s on 17:04 - Feb 28 with 1887 viewsterryb

I've just checked Gordon Macey's A History of Queens Park Rangers & it looks like it was hard work being a Rangers fan in the 50's!

Only two seasons in the decade did we finish in the top half of the table, but at least we did in the season when that kept us out of being founder members of Division Four!

Not much changes with our club!
Login to get fewer ads

QPR in the 1950s on 17:06 - Feb 28 with 1885 viewsjoe90

Always interested me how fan culture has changed over the years. Supporting QPR back in the 50's must have been an unrecognisable experience. Did they have season tickets? Was travelling to away games a thing? Did fan culture demand the same level of 'loyalty' or is that a relatively modern outlook? Did people get as angry at players? Did our search for a striker start way back then?
QPR in the 1950s on 18:25 - Feb 28 with 1789 viewsperpignanR

QPR in the 1950s on 17:06 - Feb 28 by joe90

Always interested me how fan culture has changed over the years. Supporting QPR back in the 50's must have been an unrecognisable experience. Did they have season tickets? Was travelling to away games a thing? Did fan culture demand the same level of 'loyalty' or is that a relatively modern outlook? Did people get as angry at players? Did our search for a striker start way back then?

Yes. All the things you mentioned are correct. My first game was in ‘58. The fan base although smaller in those days were as loyal as now, travelling on the supporters away coach was good fun.
‘‘Twas the first time I met ,a young Daphne, who was on supporters club committee.
QPR in the 1950s on 18:27 - Feb 28 with 1783 viewsBoston

Peanuts - Yes

Bovril - Yes

Three Card Monte - Yes.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR in the 1950s on 18:39 - Feb 28 with 1755 viewsted_hendrix

QPR in the 1950s on 18:25 - Feb 28 by perpignanR

Yes. All the things you mentioned are correct. My first game was in ‘58. The fan base although smaller in those days were as loyal as now, travelling on the supporters away coach was good fun.
‘‘Twas the first time I met ,a young Daphne, who was on supporters club committee.

My first game was 1958, stood in the corner behind the goal with my big brother, there was a tea hut in the corner with a huge tea pot on the counter, during the second half (we were losing 1-0) I turned around and there was a huge punch up by the tea hut must have been about Twenty or so blokes going at It hammer and tongs, me brother grabbed me by the arm and dragged me outside and we went home before the end of the game, I had to promise not to tell me old Dad about the punch up or else I wouldn't be allowed to go again.
We went home on the trolleybus.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

QPR in the 1950s on 19:05 - Feb 28 with 1712 viewsqpr_1968

who remembers the football league reviews inside the matchday progamme.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

QPR in the 1950s on 19:34 - Feb 28 with 1666 viewsChrisNW6

I think you mean most appearances, Tony Ingham 555 between 1950-63 👍
QPR in the 1950s on 19:36 - Feb 28 with 1652 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR in the 1950s on 19:05 - Feb 28 by qpr_1968

who remembers the football league reviews inside the matchday progamme.

I could never afford it though.Was it an extra couple of d’s for the insert?
QPR in the 1950s on 19:44 - Feb 28 with 1642 viewsDorse

Come on, you knew this was coming.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

QPR in the 1950s on 21:26 - Feb 28 with 1532 viewscolinallcars

Same as in the current era, fans had to have a scapegoat. Back then it was Mike Tomkys, a Polish player who came over here as a youngster in WW11. I liked him - a great trier but limited.
A bit like George Thomas I suppose.
Later it was Mike Keen. He was good, I don't know why sections of the crowd were on his back, I don't think he got “stuck in” as the expression was.
QPR in the 1950s on 21:32 - Feb 28 with 1516 viewsqpr_1968

QPR in the 1950s on 19:36 - Feb 28 by stowmarketrange

I could never afford it though.Was it an extra couple of d’s for the insert?

early 70's they were 5p.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

QPR in the 1950s on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 1450 viewsradfords

I first went to QPR in the mid 50's.
Remember most of that already mentioned.
I have strong memories of wiping the rust off my shoulders every time the ball landed on top of the Ellerslie Road stand. None of this playing out from the back malarkey then.
I also found it amusing that the team were described in the match programme as playing in knickers.
QPR in the 1950s on 22:38 - Feb 28 with 1415 viewscolinallcars

QPR in the 1950s on 22:27 - Feb 28 by radfords

I first went to QPR in the mid 50's.
Remember most of that already mentioned.
I have strong memories of wiping the rust off my shoulders every time the ball landed on top of the Ellerslie Road stand. None of this playing out from the back malarkey then.
I also found it amusing that the team were described in the match programme as playing in knickers.

Was it true that we had to sell Ron Springett to get the money to repair the roof ? FFP ? Pah…
QPR in the 1950s on 23:13 - Feb 28 with 1381 viewsDannyPaddox

There’s a fixture (a double-header) toward the end of the 57/58 season that I’ve never heard any talk of but possibly had a big bearing on the Rs future (or not, I dunno). Maybe this is one for the sliding doors thread.

57/58 was the last season of the regional Division 3’s - North and South. To finish in Division 3 the following season you had to be in the top half of the league. Finishing in the bottom half of the league (13th or below) meant relegation to the new 4th Division. With 4 games to go we were bobbing just below the bottom half and Crystal Palace were just above us in the top half. In the space of 4 days in April we won 3-2 at Selhurst Park and 4-2 at home. These 2 results secured our safety. Palace would be relegated to the 4th Division and we stayed in the 3rd. By the way I wasn’t there. I’m getting all this info from old programmes.

In the long run maybe these two fixtures were not so important but at the time they must have had a bit of an edge. Especially in an austere decade where it seems not much else happened. And we didn’t even play in hoops! Which feels like rationing taken to extremes.
QPR in the 1950s on 23:45 - Feb 28 with 1351 viewscolinallcars

QPR in the 1950s on 23:13 - Feb 28 by DannyPaddox

There’s a fixture (a double-header) toward the end of the 57/58 season that I’ve never heard any talk of but possibly had a big bearing on the Rs future (or not, I dunno). Maybe this is one for the sliding doors thread.

57/58 was the last season of the regional Division 3’s - North and South. To finish in Division 3 the following season you had to be in the top half of the league. Finishing in the bottom half of the league (13th or below) meant relegation to the new 4th Division. With 4 games to go we were bobbing just below the bottom half and Crystal Palace were just above us in the top half. In the space of 4 days in April we won 3-2 at Selhurst Park and 4-2 at home. These 2 results secured our safety. Palace would be relegated to the 4th Division and we stayed in the 3rd. By the way I wasn’t there. I’m getting all this info from old programmes.

In the long run maybe these two fixtures were not so important but at the time they must have had a bit of an edge. Especially in an austere decade where it seems not much else happened. And we didn’t even play in hoops! Which feels like rationing taken to extremes.

Austere ?
Ee lad, I were takin' 'ome £3.12.3d for a fifty five hour week.
Never ‘ad it so good.
And don't start me on Rock 'n' Roll…..
QPR in the 1950s on 00:06 - Feb 29 with 1322 viewsDannyPaddox

I admit to being heavily influenced by this tome
QPR in the 1950s on 01:42 - Feb 29 with 1275 viewsTGRRRSSS

QPR in the 1950s on 19:34 - Feb 28 by ChrisNW6

I think you mean most appearances, Tony Ingham 555 between 1950-63 👍

Yes I did, I am sure there was a programme with him interviewed some years ago.

Talked of steak meals to build them up iirc.

I too wonder many things are so different but I assumed away travel rarer till 60s, but maybe not
QPR in the 1950s on 13:32 - Feb 29 with 1057 viewskernowhoop

Visiting the ground pre-season with my father in the summer of, I think, 1958. Seeing the team training in a rough, stony area behind the South Africa Road terraces. Meeting Director, Alec Farmer on the pitch (yes, on the pitch). Then being introduced to skipper, Tony Ingham (looking at him in awe!!!) on the pitch. Going over to an office on the Ellerslie side and buying and big BW photo of Tony Ingham, which he signed.

First home game? In the Ellerslie Road stand in 1959, for a 0-0 draw with Southend. Hmmm.

Away games? I think the first one that I went to was at Dean Court, Bournemouth in about 1960. No segregation, of course. No trouble, either. The Bournemouth fans referred to their team as 'Boscombe' and they were somewhat restrained - more like a cricket crowd than a football crowd. Think we lost (of course).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024