Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
thought 21:11 - Mar 6 with 1365 viewsdigswellhoop

should all professional football players be able kick with both feet
thought on 21:53 - Mar 6 with 1315 viewsKonk

Yes! Does my head in! My Dad used to make us use our weaker foot down the park and in the garden. I've done the same with my son and he's comfortable with either foot. I find it insane that you can get to a professional contract without having had coaches insist upon a player being at least reasonably two-footed; it's just a question of practice.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

thought on 22:09 - Mar 6 with 1260 viewsJuzzie

thought on 21:53 - Mar 6 by Konk

Yes! Does my head in! My Dad used to make us use our weaker foot down the park and in the garden. I've done the same with my son and he's comfortable with either foot. I find it insane that you can get to a professional contract without having had coaches insist upon a player being at least reasonably two-footed; it's just a question of practice.

Spent a year with my then 7-8 year old son doing more work with his left explaining why being able to cross/pass straight away with his left when on the left side of the pitch is better than having to either cut in to get it onto his right or having to pause and adjust as either of those gives the opposition that extra second to tackle/block you etc.
He’s nine now and not only can manoeuvre the ball with both feet but has got almost half his goals from midfield (8 goals in 18 games) with his left.

So, yes, i think it can, and should, be done.
[Post edited 6 Mar 22:18]
thought on 22:13 - Mar 6 with 1234 viewskernowhoop

Should all professional players be able to hit a target eight yards wide and eight feet high from an unchallenged position 12 yards out?
thought on 22:32 - Mar 6 with 1138 viewsbosh67

To be fair we've had players that haven't been able to kick a ball with either foot or head it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

thought on 22:39 - Mar 6 with 1114 viewshubble

Many years ago I devised a training method desinged to force one-footed players to use the other foot. I named it, rather literally, the Concrete Boot. Because that's basically what it was. Worn only on the shooting foot during training, the concrete boot would, I had no doubt, soon correct that one-footed nonsense!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

thought on 22:44 - Mar 6 with 1091 viewsqprcmob

100% Yes
thought on 08:59 - Mar 7 with 889 viewsTheChef

It's like being a skilled tradesman but only able to use 50% of the tools available to you.

Mad.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

thought on 09:32 - Mar 7 with 853 viewsW7Ranger

thought on 22:13 - Mar 6 by kernowhoop

Should all professional players be able to hit a target eight yards wide and eight feet high from an unchallenged position 12 yards out?

He did hit the target.
Login to get fewer ads

thought on 09:50 - Mar 7 with 810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bit like asking: should all batsman, golfers be able to play left and right handed or, should we all be ambidextrous?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

thought on 10:00 - Mar 7 with 774 viewsTeddRanger

thought on 09:50 - Mar 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Bit like asking: should all batsman, golfers be able to play left and right handed or, should we all be ambidextrous?

Not really.

Boils my p*ss when forwards casually admit "Oh , my right foot's the swinger". Pathetic
thought on 10:28 - Mar 7 with 736 viewskernowhoop

thought on 09:32 - Mar 7 by W7Ranger

He did hit the target.

Hmm. Not quite. Isn't the target just behind where the goalkeeper's hands were?
I am not picking on Frey, by the way (others have the same problem) but was frustrated that we threw away an opportunity.
thought on 11:03 - Mar 7 with 704 viewsW7Ranger

thought on 10:28 - Mar 7 by kernowhoop

I am not picking on Frey, by the way (others have the same problem) but was frustrated that we threw away an opportunity.

Oh right in that case we must've won the game 6-2 then?

Goal attempts
QPR 20
WBA 4

Attempts on target
QPR 6
WBA 2

Yay!!
thought on 12:26 - Mar 7 with 593 viewskensalriser

thought on 10:28 - Mar 7 by kernowhoop

Yep. The target is the goal. If a penalty or shot is saved, you haven't hit the target.

Same as in cricket - no one thinks a bowler's hit the target when a ball heading for the wicket is successfully defended.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

thought on 12:28 - Mar 7 with 586 viewskensalriser

thought on 11:03 - Mar 7 by W7Ranger

Oh right in that case we must've won the game 6-2 then?

Goal attempts
QPR 20
WBA 4

Attempts on target
QPR 6
WBA 2

Yay!!

On target is not the same as hitting the target.

thought on 12:36 - Mar 7 with 569 viewswestberksr

thought on 09:50 - Mar 7 by PlanetHonneywood

not the same as these sports do not require being 2 handed

my mate asked me to give advice to his then 10 year old daughter about playing & practising with her weak foot was the first thing I advised.

After a couple of hours kicking a ball around the garden she couldn't believe how easy it was and has now a couple of years later, at the age of 12 been offered a place at county level as a very capable 2 footed player.

Pro players actually do this for a living, so a basic capability with the 'wrong' foot isn't that big an ask
[Post edited 7 Mar 12:38]
thought on 13:30 - Mar 7 with 510 viewsW7Ranger

thought on 13:43 - Mar 7 with 487 viewskarlski

If they want to be the very best version of themselves then yes. You can still be an excellent footballer without it but surely it’s an easyish upskill? Think it should be part of any young footballer’s education personally.

Jimmy Roberto Cafu-Carlos swung probably the best cross of the season at Loftus Road in yesterday with his left foot for Field’s header that was saved by their backup keeper - props to the man!
thought on 15:10 - Mar 7 with 440 viewskensalriser

Doing anything on your non dominant side can be difficult. Even eating. You're probably never even realised, but people tend to chew on their dominant side. Try using the other side and see how weird it feels.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024