Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 68111 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Begovic on 15:05 - Apr 28 with 2157 viewsQuillPenRiot

Begovic on 14:57 - Apr 28 by dmm

A very fair point but I think our defenders this season should take great credit for us conceding fewer goals than last season.

Our defense has been becoming excellent, so we need to be careful how we change and how fast. They work as a unit - don’t get me wrong, stats say Begs has been individually poor much of the season, but he’s got better, I definitely want a “young dynamic keeper” but having a solid mentor is invaluable. Look at the young guns of Leeds and they crumbled in front a well disciplined, tactically superior, fit and much more experienced side. They were cooked. I let Marti make the call, so if Begs stays I’m sure he has it well thought out and I’m all for it
Begovic on 15:33 - Apr 28 with 2099 viewsW7Ranger

Begovic on 14:57 - Apr 28 by dmm

A very fair point but I think our defenders this season should take great credit for us conceding fewer goals than last season.

That's a bit pick n choosy tho' isn't it?

If we've become a really solid defensive unit (of which Begs is a part of) since Marti and his coaches have arrived, then imagine how much better we could potentially be next season having had this relativly solid/consistant spell for the last 6 months - not to mention to continuity? Would it be such a terrible thing?

Dieng appears to be a better "footballing" keeper but the stats don't lie. Dieng conceded considerably more than Begs, and I really like Dieng, as do most other fans. So I don't really understand the criticism Begs regularly gets... unless some fans can't see past the Chelsea connections... which is a bit silly considering they're not in the same division as us, so how does it affect what he does for us when he watches them with his family? He's a professional footballer.
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:48]
Begovic on 15:49 - Apr 28 with 2067 viewsRangersw12

Begovic on 15:33 - Apr 28 by W7Ranger

If we've become a really solid defensive unit (of which Begs is a part of) since Marti and his coaches have arrived, then imagine how much better we could potentially be next season having had this relativly solid/consistant spell for the last 6 months - not to mention to continuity? Would it be such a terrible thing?

Dieng appears to be a better "footballing" keeper but the stats don't lie. Dieng conceded considerably more than Begs, and I really like Dieng, as do most other fans. So I don't really understand the criticism Begs regularly gets... unless some fans can't see past the Chelsea connections... which is a bit silly considering they're not in the same division as us, so how does it affect what he does for us when he watches them with his family? He's a professional footballer.

The stats speak for themselves , he's been poor for the majority of the season and he certainly wont get any better

https://fbref.com/en/players/7b4de647/Asmir-Begovic
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:49]
Begovic on 15:52 - Apr 28 with 2054 viewsW7Ranger

Begovic on 15:49 - Apr 28 by Rangersw12

The stats speak for themselves , he's been poor for the majority of the season and he certainly wont get any better

https://fbref.com/en/players/7b4de647/Asmir-Begovic
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:49]

You must think Dieng is shocking then?
Begovic on 15:53 - Apr 28 with 2050 viewsRangersw12

Begovic on 15:52 - Apr 28 by W7Ranger

You must think Dieng is shocking then?

No I don't . Dieng is a far better keeper than Begovic although he wasn't great for us last season.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepersadv/Championship-Stats
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:55]
Begovic on 15:55 - Apr 28 with 2039 viewsfrancisbowles

I can see past the scum connection but he doesn't help himself with his tweets about it.
I think there is always a mistake in him. Friday there was the one he hesitated on. Preston there was a flap at a corner similar to the Plymouth one. Hull there was the rushing out for the second goal. Southampton away, the first goal he should have got down to. These are the ones that immediately come to mind; There are more.
Even some of his saves on Friday, on another day fall to an attacker and not one of our players.
He's had his good moments but he is often indecisive and only occasionally starts a counter. We need better and a more modern style of sweeper keeper who can also add an extra dimension to our playing out, as well as, starting attacks.
Begovic on 15:57 - Apr 28 with 2036 viewsGaryBannister86

He gets criticism because his keeping, throughout the season, has been really poor in some people's eyes.

A few people, myself included, do not enjoy his openly Chelsea-supporting stance. Sorry about that, but personally I think it is disrespectful that our well-paid Captain likes to appear and post on social media about our most serious local rivals. Spare me the "not in the same league" balls.

Of course he can support Chelsea, as can his family. But whilst our captain, how about doing us a favour and shutting up about it, eh?

I think Marti walks on water, so if he gives another contract to Chelseavic then he must have much more of an influence in the dressing room than is evident on the pitch and I bow to his knowledge.

If he doesn't - bye bye.
Begovic on 16:22 - Apr 28 with 1987 viewsWatford_Ranger

The bloke isn’t going to improve and probably will deteriorate further. It’s obviously not guaranteed that Walsh or a new keeper has a better season but surely it’s a no-brainer to try. Some of his mistakes this season have taken years off my life.
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 17:26 - Apr 28 with 1938 viewsW7Ranger

Christ! Tough crowd.

He's not perfect, (if he was, he wouldn't be a Rangers!) but there'a lot worse out there!!

When was the last time we conceded as little as 57 goals in a season? Or as low as that in general over the last 10 years?

15 teams with a worse defensive record.

13 clean sheets for a relegation threatened side.

I'm neither one way or the other on this to be honest. Just trying to give a balanced point of view where others are really gunning for him which seems a little unfair/OTT to me. If he stayed, would I be bothered/concerned? No not really. If he does go, so be it. I trust the managaer/coaches/club to make the right decision.

Be careful what you wish for people...
[Post edited 28 Apr 19:38]
Begovic on 17:35 - Apr 28 with 1908 viewsNed_Kennedys

I’ve called out the ridiculous over the top whinging about Begovic more than most on here and think overall he’s done alright and he’s certainly played his part in us staying up.

I’d still hope the club can sign a more mobile younger keeper who fits into Cifuentes’ playing style though.
Begovic on 20:03 - Apr 28 with 1844 viewsVancouverHoop

Begovic on 17:35 - Apr 28 by Ned_Kennedys

I’ve called out the ridiculous over the top whinging about Begovic more than most on here and think overall he’s done alright and he’s certainly played his part in us staying up.

I’d still hope the club can sign a more mobile younger keeper who fits into Cifuentes’ playing style though.

Yeah, it shouldn't be an either/or situation. I've certainly been critical of Begovich, but he is an experienced pro. However we need a hungry youngster legitimately pushing him for a place. It doesn't look as if Walsh is that guy, based on his lack of playing opportunities, so we definitely need to find someone who is.
Begovic on 21:59 - Apr 28 with 1752 viewsbrad

i trust marti if he gives begs another year...im happy with that...some of ye are tough on him on here....hes are captain...
Begovic on 23:21 - Apr 28 with 1684 viewsChrisNW6

I'm hoping he stays for another season and this thread challenges the Frankie thread 😂
Begovic on 11:25 - Apr 29 with 1533 viewsQPunkR

Begovic on 23:21 - Apr 28 by ChrisNW6

I'm hoping he stays for another season and this thread challenges the Frankie thread 😂

That is literally the ONLY reason to extend his contract! Seriously

QPR - "shit but local"

Begovic on 00:16 - May 5 with 1177 viewsNed_Kennedys

Asmir has put up the post below on FB in the last hour: doesn’t sound like a man announcing his departure from the club to me…… I’m guessing he left out the word ‘go’ in the last sentence.

My 19th professional season officially came to and end today.

This past season has been an incredible ride, full of ups and downs. Super proud of all the players, staff, and supporters sticking together and keeping this great club in the Championship.

Looking forward to a well earned break and and we again next season! ⚪️🔵🆎🧤

QPR FC AB1GK
[Post edited 5 May 1:26]
Begovic on 01:22 - May 5 with 1060 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 00:16 - May 5 by Ned_Kennedys

Asmir has put up the post below on FB in the last hour: doesn’t sound like a man announcing his departure from the club to me…… I’m guessing he left out the word ‘go’ in the last sentence.

This past season has been an incredible ride, full of ups and downs. Super proud of all the players, staff, and supporters sticking together and keeping this great club in the Championship.

QPR FC AB1GK

Oh joy, Clive will be pleased.
Begovic on 07:15 - May 5 with 860 viewsGaryBannister86

The thread revives! For the whole of next season! Judging by that post, he's got a new contract and I am totally flabbergasted. I guess Marti is happy with that, but I find it extraordinary on many levels.
Begovic on 08:27 - May 5 with 706 viewsdavman

Begovic on 01:22 - May 5 by Benny_the_Ball

Oh joy, Clive will be pleased.

He won't be alone. GK coach maybe, but he cannot be first choice. He was visibly declining game on game during Feb through to April...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic on 08:35 - May 5 with 663 viewsswisscottage

it maybe they like Walsh as his longer term replacement, and so maybe keep Begovic for one more season and get Walsh out for a half season loan in league 1 or 2, and then bed him in 2nd half of next season,
Begovic on 08:38 - May 5 with 630 viewsdmm

Begovic on 08:27 - May 5 by davman

He won't be alone. GK coach maybe, but he cannot be first choice. He was visibly declining game on game during Feb through to April...

Begovic as GK coach could be a thing. As we know, he's moved into coaching and our head GK coach, Gavin Ward, is still away on sick leave.

I could cope with that rather than have to watch him between the sticks for another season.
Begovic on 08:42 - May 5 with 609 viewsThGrimRanger

being offered another season probably hinged on what money he was prepared to accept. I’d like to think that he’s keen to stay in London for family reasons and willing to accept a relatively modest 1 season deal. That together with playing a key role with coaching the young keepers then it probably makes sense.

in marti we trust

TheGrimRanger

Begovic on 08:55 - May 5 with 557 viewsWatford_Ranger

Begovic on 00:16 - May 5 by Ned_Kennedys

QPR FC AB1GK

Cook was very complimentary in the comments which is probably a better insight than any of us can give. Appreciate social media for footballers is often performative but I get the impression he’s popular in the ‘group’.
Begovic on 09:12 - May 5 with 516 viewsBklynRanger

Begovic on 08:42 - May 5 by ThGrimRanger

being offered another season probably hinged on what money he was prepared to accept. I’d like to think that he’s keen to stay in London for family reasons and willing to accept a relatively modest 1 season deal. That together with playing a key role with coaching the young keepers then it probably makes sense.

in marti we trust

Agree - they may have already decided that with him and Walsh as a back up they can prioritise other areas.

Still leaves us with an increasingly immobile, aging keeper, presumably as No. 1 which doesn't seem ideal.

Unless they're going to loan Walsh out again and have Begovich as no. 2 to a new keeper.
Begovic on 09:16 - May 5 with 492 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 14:47 - Apr 28 by Rangersw12

2 decent games and people are wanting to give him a new contract

I despair....

wages. pay attention.

The grass is always greener.

Begovic on 09:21 - May 5 with 460 viewsstevec

Begovic on 08:55 - May 5 by Watford_Ranger

Cook was very complimentary in the comments which is probably a better insight than any of us can give. Appreciate social media for footballers is often performative but I get the impression he’s popular in the ‘group’.

That’s a good point.

That thing of not coming out on through balls would get most keepers a much bigger bollocking from the CB’s than actually happens, suggests they have faith in him generally.

Also, in my head, when he’s presented with one on one situations he seems to save a lot more than most keepers. Doesn’t drop too early and spreads himself well. Smithies was good at that but apart from him, probably the best over the last decade.

He is getting on but if he can teach the kid who played yesterday these techniques then I’m not opposed to another season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024