Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managers matter(?) – Preview 18:02 - Apr 5 with 3498 viewsNorthernr

Managers matter(?) – Preview 5th Apr 2024 17:30
Two teams who looked absolutely dead and buried in the autumn meet at Loftus Road tomorrow with Marti Cifuentes’ QPR recovery on the cusp of completion, and Danny Rohl’s Sheff Wed rescue still in with a fighting chance. 5

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 19:50 - Apr 5 with 3149 viewsstevec

Amazing what you can do without a DOF looking over your shoulder.

Think I’ve seen 7 promotions in 58 years watching our lot and I’m pretty sure they’ve all been achieved without a DOF in sight.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 20:09 - Apr 5 with 3086 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Only time will tell how good Marti will be. Something in short supply, he'll either be poached or sacked before we find out. Though I hope he may be here for a while.

2-0 QPR.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 20:38 - Apr 5 with 2983 viewsfraserc

Love that both of you went for defenders to score - depressing, but realistic!
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 20:47 - Apr 5 with 2947 viewshantssi

I read somewhere that only Leeds have conceded fewer goals than us since he took over!
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 21:06 - Apr 5 with 2864 viewsDorse

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 19:50 - Apr 5 by stevec

Think I’ve seen 7 promotions in 58 years watching our lot and I’m pretty sure they’ve all been achieved without a DOF in sight.

They've also been achieved without a a horde of rampaging hamsters in homemade armour in sight either. Although, there was that squirrel so, you know, it could happen.

What?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 21:32 - Apr 5 with 2770 viewsstevec

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 21:06 - Apr 5 by Dorse

They've also been achieved without a a horde of rampaging hamsters in homemade armour in sight either. Although, there was that squirrel so, you know, it could happen.

What?

You could argue the squirrel kept us up Dorse, made a bigger impact in 3 months than Les in 8 years
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 22:41 - Apr 5 with 2563 viewsdaveB

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 19:50 - Apr 5 by stevec

Paladini was Director of football/sporting director when we went up under Warnock
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 23:20 - Apr 5 with 2424 viewsTheChef

The absolute fcking cheek of that email from Sky. Like they give a fck about fans who actually attend games.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 23:28 - Apr 5 with 2411 viewssprocket

Wonderful. Thanks
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 03:35 - Apr 6 with 2145 viewsSydneyRs

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 20:47 - Apr 5 by hantssi

I read somewhere that only Leeds have conceded fewer goals than us since he took over!

Correct and remarkable given how many we were shipping under Ainsworth. Obvs having Cook and JCS available regularly is huge in terms of that being possible.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 06:21 - Apr 6 with 2058 viewsBurnleyhoop

Mediocre managers are”ten a penny”, the leagues are full of them. Once in a while a gem will turn up, one that has true leadership skills, is inspirational and technically astute. Klopp and Pep transformed their respective clubs. Marti looks to be ticking all the boxes. The connection with the players is irrefutable. It is written all over their faces and in the embraces seen at the end of every victory.

A win today and safety is all but assured. What comes next season is what excites me. Simply cannot wait.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 07:49 - Apr 6 with 1930 viewsThGrimRanger

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 06:21 - Apr 6 by Burnleyhoop

Mediocre managers are”ten a penny”, the leagues are full of them. Once in a while a gem will turn up, one that has true leadership skills, is inspirational and technically astute. Klopp and Pep transformed their respective clubs. Marti looks to be ticking all the boxes. The connection with the players is irrefutable. It is written all over their faces and in the embraces seen at the end of every victory.

A win today and safety is all but assured. What comes next season is what excites me. Simply cannot wait.

if we stay up then what comes next for Marti are better job offers, that’s the way it works.

it’ll be naive to think we’ll have him for much of next season at the rate he’s going. we should be looking for our next manager already.

TheGrimRanger

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:21 - Apr 6 with 1829 viewsstevec

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 22:41 - Apr 5 by daveB

Paladini was Director of football/sporting director when we went up under Warnock

Warnock is such a force of nature that he probably over rided the control of a DOF plus their 4 year plan was exploding in their faces at that point in time and they were falling over themselves to give him the reigns after that 9 game start.

Clive’s 9th to 19th observation kind of sums up my view of another layer of management in the form of a DOF. It might rescue us from a bad manager taking us down but likely hobble a good manager that you’d prefer to be holding the reins.

[Post edited 6 Apr 8:33]
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:47 - Apr 6 with 1758 viewsdaveB

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:21 - Apr 6 by stevec

Warnock is such a force of nature that he probably over rided the control of a DOF plus their 4 year plan was exploding in their faces at that point in time and they were falling over themselves to give him the reigns after that 9 game start.

Clive’s 9th to 19th observation kind of sums up my view of another layer of management in the form of a DOF. It might rescue us from a bad manager taking us down but likely hobble a good manager that you’d prefer to be holding the reins.

[Post edited 6 Apr 8:33]

every manager nowadays works under one, the job title is different at every club but every football manager has a boss they report to
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 09:03 - Apr 6 with 1718 viewsBurnleyhoop

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 07:49 - Apr 6 by ThGrimRanger

if we stay up then what comes next for Marti are better job offers, that’s the way it works.

it’ll be naive to think we’ll have him for much of next season at the rate he’s going. we should be looking for our next manager already.

If he keeps us up, I would be massively surprised if he did a Beale on us.

Still in the championship, a budget of sorts to improve the squad and a great opportunity to compete at the top end of the table. I’m sure he would want at least one season to truly showcase his abilities and show a bit of loyalty to the club that gave him his opportunity in English football.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 09:52 - Apr 6 with 1566 viewsGroveR

Looking for collaborators for real & intimate fan content? Are you sure that wasn't OnlyFans?

Post-match Cumfest: We would like to capture footage of a fan-themed five-a-side blowbang. We might plan to mic up select participants to record their authentic reactions to a gob-full of milky man-fat, further immersing our audience in the matchday experience.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 09:53 - Apr 6 with 1556 viewsdaveB

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 09:03 - Apr 6 by Burnleyhoop

If he keeps us up, I would be massively surprised if he did a Beale on us.

Still in the championship, a budget of sorts to improve the squad and a great opportunity to compete at the top end of the table. I’m sure he would want at least one season to truly showcase his abilities and show a bit of loyalty to the club that gave him his opportunity in English football.

I don't see an obvious step up for him at the moment other than maybe Sunderland
He's not daft I think he'll stay and if he does well he'll have his pick of jobs in a years time
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 10:18 - Apr 6 with 1478 viewsterryb

"Perhaps Howard Wilkinson was right (f*** me, 20 years of LFW and still we’re coming up with things nobody has ever committed to print in the English language before)"

Superb Sir!

I've no idea what to expect from us today, but please Rangers, DO NOT LOSE!

Time to leave home & face the brilliant British transport system.

* I've had to edit the quote as apparently it contained unacceptable language!
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 10:37 - Apr 6 with 1437 viewsdsw2509

My perspective on football managers is that they can be divided into field marshals and sergeant majors. The ones who drop you in it are the latter who think they are the former.

Examples;

Mark Hughes
Steve Bruce
Steven Gerrard (surely the most overrated manager ever)
Wayne Rooney
Steve McClaren
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 10:42 - Apr 6 with 1418 viewsdsw2509

To enlarge on my theme, I think Marti is currently studying at what I would call the senior command college. In a couple of years we will see which of my two types he is. Therefore, he should stay with us for a bit to burnish his credentials. As others have pointed out, there will probably be a bit more money next season.
Managers matter(?) – Preview on 12:50 - Apr 6 with 1106 viewsAntti_Heinola

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 23:20 - Apr 5 by TheChef

The absolute fcking cheek of that email from Sky. Like they give a fck about fans who actually attend games.

I feel a bit for the person that wrote it.
While Sky execs don’t give a monkeys about fans, those working on football coverage are likely to be fans themselves, making a living in the game they love. Totally understand Clive’s reaction, but that ‘idea’ has been lovely forced from above. And there will be loads of the ‘please give me your shirt’ brigade who’d love to get involved.
I sit close enough to Clive to also know that they wouldn’t get enough broadcastable material in 90 minutes to make up a package either. Unless bleeps make a good package 😂

Bare bones.

Managers matter(?) – Preview on 12:52 - Apr 6 with 1100 viewssaxbend

Great preview as always, Clive. I would add one caveat to the idea of a manager's influence only mattering at the extreme ends of the competence spectrum, and that is that every time you change manager the club takes a step back adjusting to new style, letting manager and squad get used to each other, unlearning old habits, as well as a financial knock. It takes an above average manager to immediately improve on the previous one, even if the previous one was below average.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:29 - Apr 6 with 739 viewsstainrods_elbow

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:47 - Apr 6 by daveB

every manager nowadays works under one, the job title is different at every club but every football manager has a boss they report to

Traditionally, it was the chairman and the board.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024