Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR in the 90's 22:27 - Apr 7 with 2882 viewsHoopinEssex

Your memories.

My first game was V Coventry 1991 dragged their by an older friend. Upper Loft. 1-1. Roy Wegerle scored.

My first taste of the hoops.

Love memories of us in the 90's

What you got?

QPR in the 90's on 22:35 - Apr 7 with 2199 viewsqpr_1968

used to take all the kids and their cousins, 4, 5 and sometimes 6 of them home and away, always on the lsa. very affordable then.
the first 5/6 years were great times, and for a kid even better, the sun seemed to shine all through the winter.
open days, guinesses etc were always a good day out.
and our team was always a pleasure to watch.
we've covered every classic game on here over the years and there were plenty of them.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

QPR in the 90's on 23:32 - Apr 7 with 2114 viewsnumptydumpty

Best game I ever saw us play at home to Spurs probably 1992 / 93 , one nil behind at half time but four one end result. Superb.

Wish i had been away at Leeds when we won 3 - 2. Was at school friends wedding. But was the Wegerle wonder goal.

And was lucky enough to be at the 4 - 1 win at Man Utd new years day 1992. What a result and should have got more.

Think do remember the 6 - 1 win over Luton when Paul Parker scored what I believe to be his only ever goal for Rangers... Think it was Roystons debut too.

Oh for such halcyon days !!!
[Post edited 7 Apr 23:35]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

QPR in the 90's on 06:02 - Apr 8 with 1973 viewsloftboy

QPR in the 90's on 23:32 - Apr 7 by numptydumpty

Best game I ever saw us play at home to Spurs probably 1992 / 93 , one nil behind at half time but four one end result. Superb.

Wish i had been away at Leeds when we won 3 - 2. Was at school friends wedding. But was the Wegerle wonder goal.

And was lucky enough to be at the 4 - 1 win at Man Utd new years day 1992. What a result and should have got more.

Think do remember the 6 - 1 win over Luton when Paul Parker scored what I believe to be his only ever goal for Rangers... Think it was Roystons debut too.

Wegerle played in 89/90, the Luton game was his first against his old club.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

QPR in the 90's on 06:42 - Apr 8 with 1957 viewsSydneyRs

QPR in the 90's on 23:32 - Apr 7 by numptydumpty

100% on that Spurs game. Second half we absolutely murdered them. Scored 4 but could have been 10. Wilkins with the ball on a string and scored a diving header. Best half of football I ever saw us play, Spurs could not live with it.

A Spurs mate came with me that day and we stood on the paddock together. We had a bet that the loser would buy the other drinks all night which to be fair he honoured. When he spent half the night bemoaning the fact Spurs could not play the type of football we did that day that really was the icing on the cake.

Early 90s was a great time for many reasons. Music, girls, holidays, gigs, no responsibilities. Football wise was also a great time to be a QPR fan but also tinged with a little frustration that we were really, really close to being good enough to win the big trophies and never quite managed to take that leap.

Old Trafford, Arsenal in the cup in the pouring rain, winning at Anfield, Highbury etc. But for every performance like this there would be getting knocked out of the cup by Stockport or losing v relegation strugglers (Swindon Town home and away anyone?) to offset it.

I was there when Parker scored too.
QPR in the 90's on 08:47 - Apr 8 with 1829 viewsslmrstid

I was too young for the first half of the 90s when we were a top flight side. My first game was as a 6 year old in March 1996 for Southampton at home in the Premier League, the year we got relegated. We did win that one 3-0 though.
QPR in the 90's on 08:57 - Apr 8 with 1808 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR in the 90's on 06:42 - Apr 8 by SydneyRs

100% on that Spurs game. Second half we absolutely murdered them. Scored 4 but could have been 10. Wilkins with the ball on a string and scored a diving header. Best half of football I ever saw us play, Spurs could not live with it.

A Spurs mate came with me that day and we stood on the paddock together. We had a bet that the loser would buy the other drinks all night which to be fair he honoured. When he spent half the night bemoaning the fact Spurs could not play the type of football we did that day that really was the icing on the cake.

Early 90s was a great time for many reasons. Music, girls, holidays, gigs, no responsibilities. Football wise was also a great time to be a QPR fan but also tinged with a little frustration that we were really, really close to being good enough to win the big trophies and never quite managed to take that leap.

Old Trafford, Arsenal in the cup in the pouring rain, winning at Anfield, Highbury etc. But for every performance like this there would be getting knocked out of the cup by Stockport or losing v relegation strugglers (Swindon Town home and away anyone?) to offset it.

I was there when Parker scored too.

A performance so good, Michael Nyman composed a score for it, right?

There were so many games in the 90s I love to think about, but one that I always loved is when we beat Blackburn 1-0 around 1994. Les got a late goal (credited as an oiwn goal, it wasn't), and I walked away from that game and for the one and only time in my life, my little 18 or 19 year old self genuinely believed we had a chance to win the League. We were playing that well. You could say it's been downhill ever since :)

Bare bones.

QPR in the 90's on 09:07 - Apr 8 with 1788 viewsGaryBannister86

QPR in the 90's on 08:57 - Apr 8 by Antti_Heinola

There were so many games in the 90s I love to think about, but one that I always loved is when we beat Blackburn 1-0 around 1994. Les got a late goal (credited as an oiwn goal, it wasn't), and I walked away from that game and for the one and only time in my life, my little 18 or 19 year old self genuinely believed we had a chance to win the League. We were playing that well. You could say it's been downhill ever since :)

Yeah, Loft went nuts and we sucked the ball in. Was that when Shearer pulled his hamstring?

So many great days in the 90s, as well as crashing disappointments.

3-1 at Highbury always a favourite - tube home through bemused Central London tourists with massive chants of "he's got no hair but we don't care"

Or that 3-0 at Goodison which was just about the best I've ever seen us play away from home.
QPR in the 90's on 09:30 - Apr 8 with 1731 viewsToast_R

My first game - home to high flying Norwich in March 1993. Les scored a beauty and we won 3-1.

Other games that spring to mind, the 5-1 over Coventry when Bobby Gould resigned straight after. Micky Quinn looking like a fat pub League player in comparison to what we had.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR in the 90's on 09:31 - Apr 8 with 1733 viewsLandshark

I was very young but I seem to remember being part of a mass pitch invasion at Loftus Road when we finished top team in London. I think we played Sheffield Wednesday?
QPR in the 90's on 09:36 - Apr 8 with 1716 viewsHastings_Hoops

QPR in the 90's on 08:57 - Apr 8 by Antti_Heinola

Can’t find that Nyman video anywhere now. I was looking for it after stan passed away as it was actually in memory of that team in 75/76… the club might do well to buy the rights to distribute it this year.
QPR in the 90's on 09:58 - Apr 8 with 1671 viewsdaveB

QPR in the 90's on 09:36 - Apr 8 by Hastings_Hoops

Can’t find that Nyman video anywhere now. I was looking for it after stan passed away as it was actually in memory of that team in 75/76… the club might do well to buy the rights to distribute it this year.

[Post edited 8 Apr 9:59]
QPR in the 90's on 10:03 - Apr 8 with 1646 viewsHoopinEssex

Anyone remember the 4-3 game v Nottingham Forest 1993?

Les got a hat trick. Absolutely ripped them apart. Unplayable that day
QPR in the 90's on 10:15 - Apr 8 with 1606 viewsPeterHucker

QPR in the 90's on 10:03 - Apr 8 by HoopinEssex

I remember it very well.
Les actually missed a really good chance early on in that game too, he should've scored 4!

I was taken by my family to various QPR games from 1981 onwards, but 1989-90 was when I first started going by myself. Had a season ticket all the way through the 90s.
The first half of that decade, Wow!! What a time to be a QPR fan!!

Probably my favourite match in all of that was a midweek game when we beat Leeds 4-1 (the same season they were champions)
Their midfield at the time are justifiably revered (Strachan, Speed, McAllister, Batty, all really good players)
But in that game Super Ray made them all look like absolute chumps.
I was right at the front of the Loft, pretty much next to where Bradley Allen scores his goal from.
Great days!!

QPR in the 90's on 10:22 - Apr 8 with 1581 viewsBluce_Ree

I went a few times in the '80s but didn't really get it. Not sure if I went in the early '90s. But what happened was there was a film called ID which was about football hooliganism (came out in 1995). And they had an advert on the radio for it which made it sound hilariously bad. So me and my mate decided to go and see it just to see how bad it was.

Afterwards, we decided that we should both go to a match. It just so happened that we were both QPR but hadn't been for years.

Our first match was against Man City at home. We won 1-0. My memories of the day are hazy. I remember thinking the pitch looked amazing from the Ellerslie. I think Stuart Pearce played and was a prick probably. Sinclair was a handful. And that was me hooked.

Ended up getting a half-way season ticket that year and didn't miss a home game for about four years.

Went away to the Coventry match. To this day I still hate EOINOINON Jess. C*NT!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

QPR in the 90's on 10:51 - Apr 8 with 1540 viewsHoopinEssex

Thanks for the video. Was at that game too
What a game.

What made it better I went to the game with 2 Leeds fans from my local. Never did they think they would lose that night. Always remember Gordon Strachan going over for a corner and having great craic with our fans in the Ellerslie. He always seemed a good sort
QPR in the 90's on 11:10 - Apr 8 with 1518 viewsdaveB

QPR in the 90's on 11:13 - Apr 8 with 1512 viewsdodge_stoke_r

QPR in the 90's on 10:03 - Apr 8 by HoopinEssex

And another up at Everton 3 days later, on the Easter Monday
QPR in the 90's on 12:37 - Apr 8 with 1405 viewsloftus77

Can only add to the memories already on here. The 4-1 at Old Trafford (Wegerle? should have made it 5-1) has been mentioned plus a superb 4-0 against Man City in the same season - Andy Impey in his pomp - a few days before the 4-1 over eventual champions Leeds.

I remember a 2-1 win against Spurs right at the end of 94-95 when Les got 2 in a raucous atmosphere at LR (a couple of Spurs fans got in the Lower Loft IIRC and it all got a bit nasty for a while?). It was Ray v Gerry in the dugouts as GF was managing Spurs then. Think we were London's top side that season (as well as in 92-93 obvs).

A real sweet (early 90s) n' sour (late 90s) decade if ever there was one.
QPR in the 90's on 12:41 - Apr 8 with 1379 viewsloftus77

QPR in the 90's on 09:36 - Apr 8 by Hastings_Hoops

That's right - wasn't it called 'Concerto for Stan Bowles' IIRC and it was predominantly a saxophone solo? Only heard it once - as said, it came out around the time of the 4-1 over Spurs in 92.
QPR in the 90's on 20:39 - Apr 8 with 1195 viewsHastings_Hoops

QPR in the 90's on 12:41 - Apr 8 by loftus77

That's right - wasn't it called 'Concerto for Stan Bowles' IIRC and it was predominantly a saxophone solo? Only heard it once - as said, it came out around the time of the 4-1 over Spurs in 92.

The composition is called “The Final Score” and is available on YouTube, but annoyingly they’ve removed the video of the QPR v Leeds (1976) and QPR v Spurs (1992) mash-up.
QPR in the 90's on 20:49 - Apr 8 with 1166 viewsnumptydumpty

QPR in the 90's on 10:15 - Apr 8 by PeterHucker

I remember it very well.
Les actually missed a really good chance early on in that game too, he should've scored 4!

I was taken by my family to various QPR games from 1981 onwards, but 1989-90 was when I first started going by myself. Had a season ticket all the way through the 90s.
The first half of that decade, Wow!! What a time to be a QPR fan!!

Probably my favourite match in all of that was a midweek game when we beat Leeds 4-1 (the same season they were champions)
Their midfield at the time are justifiably revered (Strachan, Speed, McAllister, Batty, all really good players)
But in that game Super Ray made them all look like absolute chumps.
I was right at the front of the Loft, pretty much next to where Bradley Allen scores his goal from.
Great days!!

Was at that game with Leeds

Brilliant game

Not old enough for the Gerry and Stan era.

The team of the early to mid nineties had some absolutely incredible performances and we regularly humiliated the so called big clubs..

Fantastic days

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

QPR in the 90's on 20:50 - Apr 8 with 1168 viewsSpaceman_P

I started going circa 1998, I missed some absolute classic due to age.
QPR in the 90's on 21:48 - Apr 8 with 1124 viewsGroveR

QPR in the 90's on 06:02 - Apr 8 by loftboy

Wegerle played in 89/90, the Luton game was his first against his old club.

I was 16 in 1991 and it was always either Rangers or Chels** in the Grove. They had Tony Cascarino and Joe Allon. We had Roy Wegerle and an upcoming Les. I still have no idea why they're not in the fùcking Vanarama where they belong.

Roy Wegerle was a God if you're of that era. I was at Leeds when he scored *that* goal. The BBC goal of the season competition used "I Wanna Give You Devotion" by Nomad as the backing music and it was massively overplayed in clubs but I used to amuse myself by nutmegging other dancers with a beer can and pretending they were Gordon Strachan.

[Post edited 8 Apr 22:12]
QPR in the 90's on 09:17 - Apr 9 with 913 viewsTheChef

QPR in the 90's on 21:48 - Apr 8 by GroveR

I was 16 in 1991 and it was always either Rangers or Chels** in the Grove. They had Tony Cascarino and Joe Allon. We had Roy Wegerle and an upcoming Les. I still have no idea why they're not in the fùcking Vanarama where they belong.

Roy Wegerle was a God if you're of that era. I was at Leeds when he scored *that* goal. The BBC goal of the season competition used "I Wanna Give You Devotion" by Nomad as the backing music and it was massively overplayed in clubs but I used to amuse myself by nutmegging other dancers with a beer can and pretending they were Gordon Strachan.

[Post edited 8 Apr 22:12]

Chooooooooon.

My first game was v Barnet in the League Cup. Think we won 3-0, Devon White got one or two. Pissed it down all night, got soaked. Magic.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR in the 90's on 09:25 - Apr 9 with 895 viewsLblock

1990.... God's Year.

The world has never been as good since.

World Cup, Acid House, hair, energy, sunshine, fitness and....... Jesus H Christ the Rangers were the finest football team the world has ever seen.

My favourite year I have been alive.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024