Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Replays Scrapped 12:05 - Apr 18 with 10030 viewsCamberleyR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583

RIP The FA Cup

Well done the Premier League and Sky you utter thunderc*nts.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:24 - Apr 18 with 1606 viewslassel

Maybe I’m officially a fcking old git now, harking back to ‘the good old days’, but it does seem that in the 3rd round now every year we seem to ‘randomly’ get an Arsenal/Chelsea/Newcastle vs Liverpool/Villa/Spurs to be screened in the ‘Super Sunday’ prime slot.

Certainly my (undoubtedly biased and flat wrong) feeling is that we never seem to get a Conference or lower team at home to City/Utd anymore.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 17:22 - Apr 18 with 1508 viewsBoston

Haven't read the thread, don't need to because this decision is wrong.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 17:22 - Apr 18 with 1508 viewsHooping_Mad

Fail to see how this affects us in any way?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 1480 viewsBurnleyhoop

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 12:30 - Apr 18 by Watford_Ranger

No issue with straight to pens though I wish there were a better method than pens.

For me the replay thing is just another tradition they’re taking away. It’s a lottery win for the club who gets it and 99% won’t but there’s a tiny bit of ‘magic’ left in the cup and they’re taking much of that away.

I always preferred the “Golden Goal” idea. First to score in extra time decided the tie.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 18:01 - Apr 18 with 1427 viewsOldPedro

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 18:33 - Apr 18 with 1360 viewsthemodfather

great to see the PREM LGE can dictate what happens in fa cup rds 1 and 2 WHEN THEY AIN;T IN IT so how does it affect them??
vauxhall motors kept afloat 10 years from a replay v us and winning! cos they got extra cash.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 18:54 - Apr 18 with 1333 viewsRs_Holy

Cnts
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 19:16 - Apr 18 with 1297 viewsdaveB

reason why this cup and the League cup is dead on it's feet is not because of the big clubs or tv or even the FA.

Both cups are quite exciting to watch and the big teams tend to go for them, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd they are usually in the finals and semi finals whilst the days of a Sunderland getting to the final and QPR are long gone because those clubs don't even try and are usually in a mad rush to get knocked out

it's these clubs who toss it away every year who would rather be out of it and play weak teams, the attitude that we're better off out of it don't want too many games. Anything but a replay. Fans don't go to the games, most 3rd round ties in half empty stadiums, replays even smaller crowds. We had threads on here in January of people hoping we lost in the 3rd round to get out of it as quickly as possible and that a draw and replay was the worst result possible, now it's a disgrace that we won't have replays, is all quite mad

The FA have to decide what is the Cup for, is it to generate money for small clubs or is it to have the best and most exciting knockout tournament possible. I don't think these changes will achieve either of those, it's going to take a mindset change from clubs and more importantly fans for it to survive long term.
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 19:25 - Apr 18 with 1285 viewsBrianMcCarthy

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 18:54 - Apr 18 by Rs_Holy

Cnts

Winner.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 19:40 - Apr 18 with 1250 viewsBrianMcCarthy

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 19:16 - Apr 18 by daveB

reason why this cup and the League cup is dead on it's feet is not because of the big clubs or tv or even the FA.

Both cups are quite exciting to watch and the big teams tend to go for them, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd they are usually in the finals and semi finals whilst the days of a Sunderland getting to the final and QPR are long gone because those clubs don't even try and are usually in a mad rush to get knocked out

it's these clubs who toss it away every year who would rather be out of it and play weak teams, the attitude that we're better off out of it don't want too many games. Anything but a replay. Fans don't go to the games, most 3rd round ties in half empty stadiums, replays even smaller crowds. We had threads on here in January of people hoping we lost in the 3rd round to get out of it as quickly as possible and that a draw and replay was the worst result possible, now it's a disgrace that we won't have replays, is all quite mad

The FA have to decide what is the Cup for, is it to generate money for small clubs or is it to have the best and most exciting knockout tournament possible. I don't think these changes will achieve either of those, it's going to take a mindset change from clubs and more importantly fans for it to survive long term.

Great post.

For the last couple of decades we have fielded weakened teams. When we regularly treat one of the three competitions we enter with disrespect, when we treat the opposition with disrespect, when we treat our fans with disrespect and when we treat our jersey with disrespect we shoudln't, I suppose, be surprised that we've made it easier for the authorities to kick this watery sandcastle down.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:40 - Apr 18 with 1158 viewsManinBlack

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:19 - Apr 18 by Northernr

It's another one of those 'football's not for us any more' moments. Because of course you and I would far rather watch Mac v Cardiff, or Maidstone, and find Man Utd v Fulham utterly tedious. But it's not for us any more is it? ITV sell advertising against the games, and know full well what audience they'll get for both. It's for the Mark Goldbridge generation, who consume football entirely through screens.

I think a big problem about TV choices for FA cup matches is because TNT Sports show all the big clubs live in Europe and Sky Sports have all the live Premiership games. So when ITV or BBC have the FA Cup they use the opportunity to show the big teams as it is about ratings and they know more people will watch Man Utd v Liverpool than a league 2 team v championship opposition.

There is a certain irony that Klopp has been moaning about Liverpool having too many games and once he has gone there will no longer be FA Cup replays.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:42 - Apr 18 with 1150 viewssaxbend

I have no sympathy for clubs who want to be able to boast about how great winning multiple competitions in the same season is, while also complaining that attempting to do so is too big of a challenge for their players. It's supposed to be difficult and demanding. That's what makes it special if you ever achieve it.

But I also do think that upsets are more likely to occur in a straight knockout than if the bigger club gets a second chance to win the game in 90 minutes after drawing at the first attempt. So in that sense it might actually not be such a loss of oxygen after all.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:50 - Apr 18 with 1143 viewsLogman

I can understand this, to be honest. Professional clubs already play plenty of competitive games - 46 min in the Champ, League One and League Two and many Premiership teams play that number when you add other competitions in. The harsh reality is that lower division clubs need to survive on a more local level without a home FA Cup replay against a Man U or Newcastle bailing them out for a year. Sorry, but that is the harsh reality.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:58 - Apr 18 with 1104 viewsAntti_Heinola

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:22 - Apr 18 by loftboy

Foreign manager “ our boys are tired they play too many games”
Same foreign manager “ right we have a two week break ,we are going to fly halfway around the world for a couple of meaningless friendlies”
Fúck the lot of them, make the PL a closed shop, make the national league division 4 and enjoy good competitive league.

it's not the manager making that decision.
A lot of blaming of wrong people going on here.

Bare bones.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 21:01 - Apr 18 with 1085 viewsAntti_Heinola

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:40 - Apr 18 by ManinBlack

I think a big problem about TV choices for FA cup matches is because TNT Sports show all the big clubs live in Europe and Sky Sports have all the live Premiership games. So when ITV or BBC have the FA Cup they use the opportunity to show the big teams as it is about ratings and they know more people will watch Man Utd v Liverpool than a league 2 team v championship opposition.

There is a certain irony that Klopp has been moaning about Liverpool having too many games and once he has gone there will no longer be FA Cup replays.

They were showing, what, 7 games over the round 3 and 4 weekends? There's room for both! This year was a disgraceful set of choices.

Bare bones.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 21:25 - Apr 18 with 1024 viewsQPsyR

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 18:54 - Apr 18 by Rs_Holy

Cnts

Succinct and to the point

FKA AcidPixie

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 21:27 - Apr 18 with 1023 viewsdaveB

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 20:40 - Apr 18 by ManinBlack

thats exactly the problem, The viewing figures for Coventry v Maidstone less than a million, Man Utd v Liverpool was 8 million. It's a no brainer for commercial tv channels. Only way to change it is when these lower games are on tv for people to watch them.

It's obvious thats what tv channels do, The Lack of viewers for shows like EFL highlights is why no free to air broadcaster wants to buy the rights for the live games as not enough people watch it on tv
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:13 - Apr 18 with 928 viewsAntti_Heinola

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 21:27 - Apr 18 by daveB

thats exactly the problem, The viewing figures for Coventry v Maidstone less than a million, Man Utd v Liverpool was 8 million. It's a no brainer for commercial tv channels. Only way to change it is when these lower games are on tv for people to watch them.

It's obvious thats what tv channels do, The Lack of viewers for shows like EFL highlights is why no free to air broadcaster wants to buy the rights for the live games as not enough people watch it on tv

I think there's some mixed up thinking here. Cov v Maidstone WAS live, so that's not the point. The point was in the 3rd Round we had this lot:

Thursday 4 January 2024
Crystal Palace v Everton at 8pm

Friday 5 January 2024
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley at 8pm

Saturday 6 January 2024
Sunderland v Newcastle United
Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Preston North End

Sunday 7 January 2024
Manchester City v Huddersfield Town
Shrewsbury Town v Wrexham at 2pm on S4C**
Arsenal v Liverpool at 4.30pm

Monday 8 January 2024
Wigan Athletic v Manchester United

I don't think anyone is arguing with Sunderland v Newcastle or Arsenal v Liverpool (I mean, I don't care, but I agree with you there, it's the marquee match of the round), but Palace v Everton and Spurs v Burnley? Chelsea v Preston? Who cares? City v Huddersfield? Maybe if Preston or Hudd had been at home - fine. But all those are boring ties. You can throw figures all you want, but 8m people ain't watchin palace v fkn everton. There were some really interesting ties in that round that got ignored in favour of some really sh!t games (and the results prove that too).

Also, Cov v Maidstone was on a bloody monday night. Stick that on at 4pm on a Sunday, and that figure would have been a lot better.
[Post edited 18 Apr 22:13]

Bare bones.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:18 - Apr 18 with 921 viewsLowerloftLad

The Premier league is becoming a complete bore fest and there is a reason why non league football attendances are up as high as they are.

Maybe it is time for the so called big six to just f£%k off now.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:23 - Apr 18 with 915 viewsKernowRanger

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 19:16 - Apr 18 by daveB

Give both cup competitions a Champions League place rather than to the 3rd/4th/5th place in Premier League - for either the winner or, if the winner qualifies through the league, the other finalist - and you'd see every club properly go for it.

Every team entering the third round would know they're only a few favourable draws from reaching the final - Coventry have beat Oxford, Shef Wed, Maidstone & Wolves to get to the semi finals, under McClaren we'd have had games with Palace & Wolves if we'd managed to get past Watford.

In the same way we talk about replays financially benefitting lower league clubs, the financial rewards of even just one season in the Champions League would have similar effects for any clubs below the top 5-6 in the Premier League. You want 95% of clubs to stop seeing the cups as an inconvenience you need to make it more rewarding (from the owners/clubs perspective rather than the fans) than dipping out to ensure your players are available for those money making friendlies.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:34 - Apr 18 with 891 viewsdaveB

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:13 - Apr 18 by Antti_Heinola

I think there's some mixed up thinking here. Cov v Maidstone WAS live, so that's not the point. The point was in the 3rd Round we had this lot:

Thursday 4 January 2024
Crystal Palace v Everton at 8pm

Friday 5 January 2024
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley at 8pm

Saturday 6 January 2024
Sunderland v Newcastle United
Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Preston North End

Sunday 7 January 2024
Manchester City v Huddersfield Town
Shrewsbury Town v Wrexham at 2pm on S4C**
Arsenal v Liverpool at 4.30pm

Monday 8 January 2024
Wigan Athletic v Manchester United

I don't think anyone is arguing with Sunderland v Newcastle or Arsenal v Liverpool (I mean, I don't care, but I agree with you there, it's the marquee match of the round), but Palace v Everton and Spurs v Burnley? Chelsea v Preston? Who cares? City v Huddersfield? Maybe if Preston or Hudd had been at home - fine. But all those are boring ties. You can throw figures all you want, but 8m people ain't watchin palace v fkn everton. There were some really interesting ties in that round that got ignored in favour of some really sh!t games (and the results prove that too).

Also, Cov v Maidstone was on a bloody monday night. Stick that on at 4pm on a Sunday, and that figure would have been a lot better.
[Post edited 18 Apr 22:13]

The time of that Cov game was dictated by the FA as it was a midweek round. I know it was live it was just that not many people watched it compared to a game involving one of the big teams

I agree those games are not stand out ones that i cared about but when you look at the whole draw there were not a huge number of great ties they missed out on
When else do BBC or ITV get to show the big clubs which bring bigger audiences. Thats what they are trying to do get as many people to watch their channel as possible. When they show the smaller teams in the 1st and 2nd round no one watches them which is why they do this.

Of course the tv companies are at fault but fans don't help either by not watching the smaller clubs when they are on
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:36 - Apr 18 with 889 viewsdaveB

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 22:23 - Apr 18 by KernowRanger

Give both cup competitions a Champions League place rather than to the 3rd/4th/5th place in Premier League - for either the winner or, if the winner qualifies through the league, the other finalist - and you'd see every club properly go for it.

Every team entering the third round would know they're only a few favourable draws from reaching the final - Coventry have beat Oxford, Shef Wed, Maidstone & Wolves to get to the semi finals, under McClaren we'd have had games with Palace & Wolves if we'd managed to get past Watford.

In the same way we talk about replays financially benefitting lower league clubs, the financial rewards of even just one season in the Champions League would have similar effects for any clubs below the top 5-6 in the Premier League. You want 95% of clubs to stop seeing the cups as an inconvenience you need to make it more rewarding (from the owners/clubs perspective rather than the fans) than dipping out to ensure your players are available for those money making friendlies.

it's pointless giving a champions league spot to the winners as it's more than likely going to be won by a team in it anyway

The glory of winning the cup should be the aim rather than it being a qualifier for a more important cup
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 07:08 - Apr 19 with 726 viewsNorthernr

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 08:57 - Apr 19 with 613 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Great to see the opprobrium to this and lower league clubs putting out statements criticising it. What they need to do now is organise, withdraw from the competition en masse and leave it to the big boys.
[Post edited 19 Apr 8:57]
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 09:58 - Apr 19 with 525 viewsWatford_Ranger

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 08:57 - Apr 19 by Wegerles_Stairs

Great to see the opprobrium to this and lower league clubs putting out statements criticising it. What they need to do now is organise, withdraw from the competition en masse and leave it to the big boys.
[Post edited 19 Apr 8:57]

I like it but it’s cutting off their noses to spite their faces. The cup is a potential source of huge income for these clubs which are generally different shades of skint. A fan boycott would be good but doubt the powers that be will give a crap.

The big clubs have so few replays anyway and rarely in the 3rd/4th rounds. Lots of bad PR for no real gain. The clubs it benefits to some extent are probably the big L1/2 clubs who avoid a tricky replay in Winter with a Conference club. For everyone else I see it as either bad or fairly irrelevant. It’s the total avoidance of consulting anyone below the Prem which really irks me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024