Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road journey 08:02 - Apr 19 with 4884 viewsGaryBannister86

Just realising the only place I've not sat is the Upper Loft. A total mystery to me up there.

What's your Loftus Road journey? Mine....

80s - South Africa Road with Dad, then Ellerslie with Dad
90s - South Africa Road with Dad, then Loft seating with mates
2000s - Loft seating with mates then Loft family stand with son
2010s - Loft family stand with son
2020s - Loft standing with son

As son turns 18 on Sunday, am thinking I will soon be a flat-capped singleton doddering to games on my own with a flask of Horlicks. Where does one sit for that? Back to South Africa Road? Or is that what is in the mysteries of the Upper Loft?
Loftus Road journey on 19:07 - Apr 19 with 869 viewsBoston

Loftus Road journey on 15:44 - Apr 19 by Sharpediver

Superb thread this one. I love Loftus Road, it's in my bones, I even dream about it. In fact, I'd like to move in there if I could!

I've been in every bit of the ground - School Upper and Lower in c. 1980/1981 when it was the Home End and again (upper) in 1995 against Forest when I turned up late without a ticket for a sell out game. It was either take my chance with the Forest fans or go home so I chose the former.

The 1980 evening game against Orient I seem to remember was 0-0, Clive Thomas was the ref and I think he sent off Glen Roeder. Stan Bowles was playing for Orient.

In September 1981 (for my 13th birthday present), my old man took me and my brother into the upper School and we beat Newcastle 3-0. The stewards let us walk around on the newly installed Omniturf pitch afterwards. Incidentally, also ran onto the pitch in 1984 to celebrate the great season and to listen to Venables' speech that he was staying. Again in c. 1988 - last day of the Plastic pitch and we all got chased by police horses, and again in 1999 after we beat Palace 6-0 to stay up. No police horses that time.
(Maybe an interesting new thread is needed about times people have been on the pitch?)

The 1995 Upper School experience was very weird ( and wouldn't recommend it), being among vociferous and unfriendly Away fans in your own ground. I remember Stuart Pearce scything down Trevor Sinclair, in fact, sending him rattling into the advertising hoardings in front of us and the whole end (except me), jubilantly punching the air to the chant of 'Psycho, Psycho'...

Also went in the School Lower under it's modern, occasional Home fan guise - think it was the Rotherham game in 2015 when Stan walked around the pitch before the game.

Also, been in the boxes twice - once for a mate's stag do and another time as a box lottery winner. Bit overrated in there - you can't hear the crowd, although I did meet Stan in there the first time c. 1999 as he was doing match day hospitality.

In 45 years of going to Loftus Road, I've probably only been in the Ellerslie about 10 times max.

Otherwise:
Late 70s - old Loft by the right hand floodlight. Monkey nuts and occasional huge clouds of tobacco smoke drifting off above the heads.
1980s/90s - almost always stood on the new Lower Loft terrace - mostly near the back - you couldn't see the bottom of the goal, occasionally went in the Paddocks.
1996-2001 - Season ticket in the Upper Loft - Mu block then Pu block
2002 - 2005 - Season ticket in South Africa Road - F block
2005-2012 - occasional visits mainly Upper Loft
Season ticket in Upper Loft c. 2012 - 2015 (Glory Hunting) Ju block.
And now, mainly South Africa Road - anywhere there - I prefer the perspective from up high along the side, but still make occasional forays into the Loft - standing area and Upper.

I might do an Ellerslie Day next season - not been in there for over 10 years.

God, how I will weep at that last game if we ever have to leave.

I've been on the pitch once, it was the 27th of April 1974. I / we, decided to let the Leeds fans know they were in W12 ...bit of a mistake really.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road journey on 19:10 - Apr 19 with 863 viewsloftboy

Despite my user name very rarely stood in the loft,tomorrow is my first time in there since West Ham in 87, first season ticket was R block in the 80’s, got kicked out of there when it became the family stand in 1990, moved over to SA road it was A block then but is now F, then when my kids came along went to the west Paddock.
The only part I’ve never been in is the upper school end.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Loftus Road journey on 23:40 - Apr 19 with 720 viewsqprxtc

78-79 Loft children's bit directly behind the goal.
79-80 loft. Wall by the left floodlight (towards pitch) near the radio hut.
80-81 School end terrace
80-81 didn’t like it, moved back to roofless loft
81-94 loft terrace, all over the place but generally to the right of the goal.
94-96 SA road stand, back row, block next to upper loft.
96-99 Lower loft seat back row directly behind goal
99-00 Ellerslie, no ST just bought ticket in stand, tried to be on my own away from people. Quiet easy in that stand then.
00-03 Lower loft, to the left next to police box, on my own.
03-19 Lower loft in block next to SA stand with Mrs.
20-now Upper loft amongst a grand group. Mrs at home.
Loftus Road journey on 01:12 - Apr 20 with 683 viewshamptonhillhoop

I've been in every part of the ground at some stage. Started in the SAR as a kid in the late seventies as my dad had a season ticket there. Then in mid eighties to mid nineties floated around between the paddocks and loft. Had a season ticket in the lower loft since the 95-96 season. Would love to try the safe standing but my fellow 50 something cousins who I go with don't fancy it. Once bunked into a midweek game against Carlisle in the league cup and sat in an empty Ellerslie road stand. No one around for miles. Ten minutes in, some old bloke asked me to move because I was in his seat. Fair enough
Loftus Road journey on 08:39 - Apr 20 with 631 viewsTGRRRSSS

Ever stand apart rrom paddock nearest away fans and upper school end.

Everywhere else I've sat somewhere at some time. Lower school I seem to recall a cheap ticket deal and we won 3-0 or something.

Didn't feel right in there really
Loftus Road journey on 10:23 - Apr 20 with 576 viewsOldPedro

Always lived away from London, so never had a season ticket. My first home game was a 2-2 draw with Chelsea in 1991 in East Paddock and that's where I used to head for when it was just pay on the gate.

I've sat in various parts of South Africa Road over the years as well as a few times in the Ellerslie.

In the last 10 years, since I started taking my son at age 6, we've mainly been in the lower loft. Last home game was the FA Cup against Bournemouth this season, in lower loft safe standing.

Now live in Yorkshire, so go to more away games than home.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Loftus Road journey on 10:45 - Apr 20 with 563 viewslassel

Started out in ML, then to V, then to B and finally MU.

#wanderlust
Loftus Road journey on 10:49 - Apr 20 with 554 viewsthehat

I have been pretty much everywhere in the ground except the school end lower - I have even sat in the school end upper for one game in 1982 v Middlesbrough in the FA cup.

1970's SAR season ticket with my Dad and uncle
1980's Mixture of Loft and West Paddock Terrace
1990's Upper Loft Season Ticket
2000's Ellerslie Road Season Ticket
2010 to present back to SAR season ticket
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road journey on 11:15 - Apr 20 with 530 viewsdenhamhoop2

Mine 70s Started off on the Paddocks then progressed to the Boys corner in the Loft
80s Progressed to middle of Loft halfway up against barrier for lesser opposition Paddocks for the Man Us Chelscum and Dirty Leeds
Early 90s Paddocks with 2 mates late 90s first ever Season Ticket End of Row in Paddocks 00s Moved to JU sitting with best mate who we did home and away games with home games sat next to the 2 Spliff Brothers who used to light up the moment they got in .
10 to 15 Same seat til Mate got himself a ready made family she had 2 kids started doing away games on trains then moved to end of row great view
Then whatever year Tango and Cash brought in the Gold Silver and Bronze bollox stuck it in Gold for a year then moved across the aisle along about 8 seats just far enough to avoid having the crush barrier in front of my view to move to Silver and the view is actually better than the Gold just a pity tend to get a lot of occasional fans to my left is weird seeing how keen they are
Loftus Road journey on 11:22 - Apr 20 with 511 viewsdenhamhoop2

Having just read Croydon Jacks post I must know his face as he stood not too far from my Paddock view I used to be a bit further back from you by sounds oh and the only stand I've never been is School End lower as I experienced the School Upper v Chelscum as a Xmas present my dad got the tickets for me and him to watch Speedie score with a header(bloody Alan McCarthy) sat in Ellerslie for Vauxhall Motors normally League Cup either Lower Loft or South Africa Road
Loftus Road journey on 12:17 - Apr 20 with 475 viewshubble

I have always been a peripatetic fan (as opposed to a very pathetic fan, although...) in that I never wanted to stick to one particular part of the ground, I like sampling all the different views and vibes. However, having said that, I have in the last 15 years or so mainly sat/stood in R block.

I think I was stood in the paddocks for my first ever game in 75. I was mainly Ellerslie in the 90s, with a bit of Loft action thrown in. Mainly SA in the early 2000s, and then everywhere after, including the lower School End once, but never again. Don't like have the away fans above me chucking things. Was in HU (I think that's what it's called) for the Palace 6-0, the one in the corner with almost no view of the pitch. Had a mate's ST in the East paddock several years ago, I think that was actually one of my favourite seats/views and soooo much easier to get to the bogs than Ellerslie!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Loftus Road journey on 13:12 - Apr 20 with 413 viewsSK_hoops

Sat in every stand at some point (although mostly R block for the last 15 or so years), except lower school end. Even been in the forbidden zone, with my Birmingham supporting members of the family. That felt a bit odd.
[Post edited 20 Apr 13:14]
Loftus Road journey on 19:23 - Apr 20 with 331 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

1st game in the Paddock, Loft End, with my Dad in 1986 v Sheffield Wednesday. Then we were ST in Upper Loft MU in the late 80s to 90s.

My Dad died to 2019, and I decided to buy a ST with my son.... Upper Loft MU. I cried when I got home after our first game together.

Apparently football is all about money, it's deeper than that. And the money men will never understand it.
Loftus Road journey on 20:13 - Apr 20 with 271 viewsqpr_1968

Loftus Road journey on 12:17 - Apr 20 by hubble

I have always been a peripatetic fan (as opposed to a very pathetic fan, although...) in that I never wanted to stick to one particular part of the ground, I like sampling all the different views and vibes. However, having said that, I have in the last 15 years or so mainly sat/stood in R block.

I think I was stood in the paddocks for my first ever game in 75. I was mainly Ellerslie in the 90s, with a bit of Loft action thrown in. Mainly SA in the early 2000s, and then everywhere after, including the lower School End once, but never again. Don't like have the away fans above me chucking things. Was in HU (I think that's what it's called) for the Palace 6-0, the one in the corner with almost no view of the pitch. Had a mate's ST in the East paddock several years ago, I think that was actually one of my favourite seats/views and soooo much easier to get to the bogs than Ellerslie!

i would have give you an extra like just for the word peripatetic.

never heard of the word, can't even pronounce it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Loftus Road journey on 20:44 - Apr 20 with 250 viewsAgedR

80s Loft upper with my grandad until I started playing Saturdays (I never did play for England, Seaman just a bit better shit stopper).

Then 10s with my son in the lower loft, until he found women.

Circle of life.

Now just me wandering around our beautiful old stadium with random mates.

Looking forward to inflicting this magnificent obsession on my grandchildren.

I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever thought more like singing the blues!!

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Loftus Road journey on 21:54 - Apr 20 with 210 viewstomde1

I've been going since 1998, been in:
Loft lower (with Dad, odd few games before we had ST)
Ellerslie (when we got STs in around 2002)
SA - for the friendly against Ajax - the only thing I can remember about the game was their fans started kicking off with each other in school end, and my dad got a pie.
School lower - didn't have an ST as was at uni, but sat there for Austin's hattrick against WBA.

Actually sat in school Upper during covid 2000 attendance cap game, and tried to order at seat service, which failed spectacularly as the the staff had no clue where any of the seats were.

Only place I've never sat is upper loft! Will have to someday....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024