Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mackie 17:36 - Oct 28 with 3205 viewskingo

I am not his greatest fan, although I love his commitment. However, his run yesterday showed all the good and not so good parts of his game. He is very direct and powerful but he hasn't got the technique required at this level. The run yesterday was great and his finish was all he could really do after getting round the last man BUT if that had been virtually any other prem player, he would have gone down with the penultimate challenge. There was 'contact' as we get told by the pundits every week but he elected to stay on his feet rather than sprawl (like Vermalen) and gain an advantage. Admirable that he didn't go down but ultimately he gave the keeper the advantage.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Mackie on 17:39 - Oct 28 with 2080 viewsGloryHunter

He wouldn't have got anything off that ref. He did the right thing and almost nutmegged the keeper.
Mackie on 17:47 - Oct 28 with 2055 viewskingo

Mackie on 17:39 - Oct 28 by GloryHunter

He wouldn't have got anything off that ref. He did the right thing and almost nutmegged the keeper.

Probably true about hhe ref unfortunately. But I bet you that say Podolski or Giroud would have taken the tumble and got something. I think his attempt at the nut meg was all he could do after beating the last man as the keeper was right in front of him.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Mackie on 18:00 - Oct 28 with 2026 viewssmegma

Whatever his faults ,he is 100% better than SWP.End of.
Mackie on 18:04 - Oct 28 with 2004 viewswestberksr

Mackie on 18:00 - Oct 28 by smegma

have to agree; in his brief cameo, the fact that he beat 2 men and got into the box for a one on one with the keeper was more than SWP has done so far this season.

can see why mackie nay not start but not behind SWP in the picks imho.
Mackie on 18:09 - Oct 28 with 1985 viewsCHUBBS

Regardless of the fact that he's far more productive attacking,he's also a better defender than NEP.I can't ever see him being good enough at this level again,his bottle and confidence is shot.
Mackie on 19:09 - Oct 28 with 1905 viewsbosh67

Mackie is a whole hearted player. He isn't the very best we have ever had, but much like Ainsworth his type of heart and commitment is vital to the side's wellbeing.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Mackie on 19:12 - Oct 28 with 1888 viewsNorthernr

Mackie is the sort of player you need when the going is tough. Optimistic, positive, hard working, and a better player than many give him credit for - he didn't go past those three Arsenal players by accident. A far better bet for our first team than a couple of others who are getting a lot more game time than him at the moment.
Mackie on 19:22 - Oct 28 with 1857 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree, as i said last week when Park looked like he'd be out, I'd pick him over SWP every day of the week. Probably above Park, too, the way things are at the moment. He somehow makes things happen.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Mackie on 19:24 - Oct 28 with 1845 viewsTW_R

The problem I find with Mackie is that he plays football a bit like me playing 5 a side. I run at players, but never really have complete control of the ball. I sometimes beat them with a push and run, a lucky nutmeg or just getting a toe to the ball before the opposition does. And that's really what Mackie did for his run yesterday.
Mackie on 19:27 - Oct 28 with 1836 viewsGeorge_Milton

Still think he could do a job upfront or part of a 3. If he does not start he should at least get 20/30 mins against a tired defence
Mackie on 19:41 - Oct 28 with 1795 viewsElHoop

What worries me slightly is that last season we had players who weren't necessarily the best, but they were hungry and when push came to shove they found a bit. This lot - how many of the first XI are going to pull it out of the fire in an emergency? We can still get into the position where we don't need to do that and can routinely win games, but if that doesn't happen then we need the Mackies to do it, but we aren't recruiting them any more.
Mackie on 19:48 - Oct 28 with 1778 viewsWeaverQPR

Stick him up front he's awilling runner and will chase down defenders unlike Bobby Leadboots

@WeavQPR

Mackie on 19:49 - Oct 28 with 1777 viewsYorkRanger

The thing with Mackie is it looks like it matters to him. That counts for a lot in my eyes. He is also a better player than some on here give him credit for.
Mackie on 20:12 - Oct 28 with 1705 viewsDesertBoot

"Commitment" as the initial post highlights is paramount at the moment.
Should this run continue how many will simply not fancy the battle.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Mackie on 20:49 - Oct 28 with 1636 viewsderbyhoop

Mackie on 18:00 - Oct 28 by smegma

I'm 100% better than SWP. And I haven't played a competitive game for 30 years.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Mackie on 20:50 - Oct 28 with 1634 viewsFDC

He's a fantastic impact sub, and the fact is there aren't many players like him in the premiership that as soon as they get the ball make a direct bee-line for the penalty spot. It really shakes defenders up, especially if they've been playing for 60/70 minutes.
Mackie on 20:58 - Oct 28 with 1602 viewsJB1982

Mackie on 19:49 - Oct 28 by YorkRanger

The thing with Mackie is it looks like it matters to him. That counts for a lot in my eyes. He is also a better player than some on here give him credit for.

Couldn't agree more. Top bloke.
Mackie on 21:27 - Oct 28 with 1547 viewssmegma

Mackie on 19:24 - Oct 28 by TW_R

The problem I find with Mackie is that he plays football a bit like me playing 5 a side. I run at players, but never really have complete control of the ball. I sometimes beat them with a push and run, a lucky nutmeg or just getting a toe to the ball before the opposition does. And that's really what Mackie did for his run yesterday.

Yeah his run and beating 3 players was all down to luck and nothing to do with Mackies ability.

I've heard it all now.
Mackie on 21:32 - Oct 28 with 1540 viewsbabygravy

I love "Our Jamie"...
Mackie on 21:56 - Oct 28 with 1509 viewsTearsOfaClown

Mackie on 19:12 - Oct 28 by Northernr

Mackie is the sort of player you need when the going is tough. Optimistic, positive, hard working, and a better player than many give him credit for - he didn't go past those three Arsenal players by accident. A far better bet for our first team than a couple of others who are getting a lot more game time than him at the moment.

Agreed 100% - he can and does change games.
Mackie on 22:17 - Oct 28 with 1479 viewsNorthernr

Mackie on 21:27 - Oct 28 by smegma

Yeah his run and beating 3 players was all down to luck and nothing to do with Mackies ability.

I've heard it all now.

Once a fluke, but Mackie has done that before. I think his touch has improved immeasurably since he got to the club. It;s not like it's the first time he's done that.

I do see the impact sub argument though. Still think he's a better bet than Park and SWP though.
Mackie on 22:25 - Oct 28 with 1457 viewscarrotcrunch_R

He is a player with heart and workrate cant understand fans that critisize players that do there best for the club week in week out especially when they can do no better thereselves .For me he has to start as his combined commitment and ability is above that of most in the team at the moment.
Mackie on 22:35 - Oct 28 with 1443 viewsMelakaRanger

Mackie on 19:49 - Oct 28 by YorkRanger

Yes he plays with passion, he plays for the club first and the money second. Most everyone else is just there for the money

If we had a team all with Jamies passion, we would not be bottom of the league
Mackie on 22:39 - Oct 28 with 1439 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

And the run he made to score against man c.

If we're a defensive minded counter attacking team it's imperative to have a couple with that sort of commitment

It's got to be Yarg

Mackie on 22:57 - Oct 28 with 1418 viewsMonkey_Roots

What he lacks in technical ability is more than made up for with his commitment and desire. He plays for the team, and has an uncanny 'jedi-like' ability to force defenders to either fall over or let him pass.

I would never criticise a player for trying to stay on his feet - true he does give the keeper the advantage, but if he pulls the trigger a split second earlier, he scores a contender for goal of the season. Plus, doesn't that just embody what Mackie is all about? No nonsense, an honest player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024