Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern is back - on the Offish!! 21:01 - Jun 16 with 3725 viewsrichranger

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/media-view-jamie-mackie-loft-for-words-qpr-cli
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:11 - Jun 16 with 2805 viewsGetMeRangers

Good article but wish he had been a bit more upbeat when he asked what others on here thought. I may be wrong, but I think the majority are really pleased with the chance of walking in a Mackie Wonderland again

AS for younger supporters, the future of the club's support, I would be very surprised if you can find any that arent doing cartwheels. I know my three boys are
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:13 - Jun 16 with 2789 viewsYorkRanger

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:11 - Jun 16 by GetMeRangers

Good article but wish he had been a bit more upbeat when he asked what others on here thought. I may be wrong, but I think the majority are really pleased with the chance of walking in a Mackie Wonderland again

AS for younger supporters, the future of the club's support, I would be very surprised if you can find any that arent doing cartwheels. I know my three boys are

Agreed, must be post holiday blues
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:44 - Jun 16 with 2656 viewsBromleyHoop

Nice to see. I think the Media team at QPR could make more use of Clive, his knowledge of the club and his journalistic skills. For a fee of course!!

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:53 - Jun 16 with 2600 viewsNorthernr

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:11 - Jun 16 by GetMeRangers

To be fair the thread seems split 60/40 in favour, which I'm amazed about. I can't see a bad thing about this.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:57 - Jun 16 with 2586 viewsPunteR

Good honest article,what you expect from Clive . Some fans have been sceptical but only a really small minority. You wouldn't expect complacency from Mackie but its probably good that he has to prove himself to some fans.
Nicely summed up the signing I thought.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:12 - Jun 16 with 2520 viewsstevec

Everything about his signature suggests Matt Phillips is on his way and that is bad news.

I fear Mackie is at a point in his career where he will only be effective in a team battling in the wrong half of the table, it is this planning for failure that scares me to death.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:17 - Jun 16 with 2500 viewsPunteR

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:12 - Jun 16 by stevec

Everything about his signature suggests Matt Phillips is on his way and that is bad news.

I fear Mackie is at a point in his career where he will only be effective in a team battling in the wrong half of the table, it is this planning for failure that scares me to death.

I don't see that at all. Planning for failure? I think its a really positive signing.
My kids are delighted.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:20 - Jun 16 with 2491 viewsWatford_Ranger

I think that's an extremely negative way to look at it.

When we signed Derry and Hill (and Mackie) they weren't stellar signings but good fits for the squad. Round pegs in round holes. Mackie at his very worst will be a good influence on what will be a fairly young squad who you know will put in 100% in some arsehole northern town on a blustery Tuesday night. We don't have too many like that right now and even fewer assuming Austin is on his way. Mackie brings far more to the squad than simply an ability with a football.
Login to get fewer ads

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:24 - Jun 16 with 2481 viewsNorthernr

I actually think it's the opposite - looking at why we failed last season and addressing it. We had no pace, no legs, no stamina, no staying power. Our full backs were exposed in wide areas because we didn't have wingers who could/would go back and help them. Charlie Austin flogged himself to death because he had nobody to do his fetching and carrying. We couldn't win away because we had no pace to counter attack. The strengths Mackie does have address all of these points.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:34 - Jun 16 with 2459 viewsdaveB

Not sure why this should mean Phillips is leaving. Mackie could play up front or on the left as well as the right wing.

Mackie was my sons first favourite player, he used to say he supported Jamie Mackie then QPR and he cried his eyes out when I told him he had gone. Mackie coming back is going to make the whole Charlie Austin leaving thing easier to break to him now so it's good news for me
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:11 - Jun 17 with 2243 viewsYorkRanger

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:34 - Jun 16 by daveB

Not sure why this should mean Phillips is leaving. Mackie could play up front or on the left as well as the right wing.

Mackie was my sons first favourite player, he used to say he supported Jamie Mackie then QPR and he cried his eyes out when I told him he had gone. Mackie coming back is going to make the whole Charlie Austin leaving thing easier to break to him now so it's good news for me

I think the whole Mackie attachment to happier days at QPR is psychologically important for many of us...
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:11 - Jun 17 with 2242 viewsYorkRanger

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 22:53 - Jun 16 by Northernr

To be fair the thread seems split 60/40 in favour, which I'm amazed about. I can't see a bad thing about this.

I'd have said straw man is 80:20 in favour but who cares - he's back!
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:23 - Jun 17 with 2220 viewsWokingR

Sh*t !
Clive's back. Hide everything

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:45 - Jun 17 with 2182 viewsJAPRANGERS

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:23 - Jun 17 by WokingR

Sh*t !
Clive's back. Hide everything

Headmaster's back, put that sexy Friday wotsit away Woking!
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:50 - Jun 17 with 2164 viewslondonscottish

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:24 - Jun 16 by Northernr

I actually think it's the opposite - looking at why we failed last season and addressing it. We had no pace, no legs, no stamina, no staying power. Our full backs were exposed in wide areas because we didn't have wingers who could/would go back and help them. Charlie Austin flogged himself to death because he had nobody to do his fetching and carrying. We couldn't win away because we had no pace to counter attack. The strengths Mackie does have address all of these points.

Totally agree.

Plus we get to sing THAT SONG.

:-)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 08:55 - Jun 17 with 2155 viewsHitch

Mackie the playful pup. Always chases the tennis ball. Sometimes loses it, sometimes destroys the ball. Always comes back with his tail wagging. Good Lad MACKIE we missed ya.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 09:31 - Jun 17 with 2081 viewsrrrspricey

I for one am chuffed he's back. If his work ethic alone rubs off on a few players we'll do ok I reckon & if we don't we'll at least put up a decent fight.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 09:35 - Jun 17 with 2074 viewsElHoop

I don't know about planning for failure but Phillips leaving would be a major blow to our chances, if that is the case. At the moment I'm not sure who is going to score the goals or how we'll create chances to score if we do have a striker, but it's still early days. Mackie would be a decent addition to an already good and balanced squad but that's some way off at the moment.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 12:06 - Jun 17 with 1921 viewsSomersetHoops

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 23:24 - Jun 16 by Northernr

I watched Mackie playing for Reading in their Cup game against Arsenal and thought he was their stand-out player. It suggested to me he has retained the qualities he had when in his best days at QPR. He may not be Messi, but his attacking enthusiasm is something QPR have missed. I just hope he can sustain it in some of the less glamorous games we will have this season.

In any case, as long as he is and stays fit, he is still young enough to play at his peak and I see this as a positive move. I just think after the dross we've suffered for too long, people are frightened to be optimistic about anything and this influences some responses. I am going into this season with more optimism about the attitude of our team and the quality of the football they will play than I have had since the Warnock promotion season. I don't expect promotion this season, but hope we can see signs of building a team that can get there and sustain it. I hope my optimism is not misplaced.

Who's Next?

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 12:23 - Jun 17 with 1899 viewssimmo

He's basically Jamie Vardy, if Vardy was in love with QPR.

Also people underestimate how basic the Championship can be, if players are actually direct and run at the opposition, generally something positive happens - we saw it loads on the rare occasions Phillips could play. Mackie gets the ball, faces up his marker, and tests him, he does that 7,042 times a game and when we don't have the ball he's harrassing full backs, centre backs and goalkeepers so they have no time to think or space to breathe. He will do that for as long as the game lasts without relenting once.

He is easily the person I would hate to play against most out of anybody in our team, he's a fckin nightmare for the opposition. The fact he adores QPR, already has an affinity with the fans, knows this division, has experience of playing at higher level and can play in about 5 positions, is a brilliant bonus.

It's a YES from me.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 13:18 - Jun 17 with 1822 viewswhittocksRs

Excellent signing for the squad and the fans. I'm sure he'll contribute with goals and enthusiasm, and gives us option from deep midfield to forward. No idea why this is being seen as a mistep.
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 14:04 - Jun 17 with 1745 viewsClive_Anderson

Reading supporters are gutted they haven't signed him up, he was second in their player of the year vote apparently.

Forest supporters don't like him but what do they know?
Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 14:20 - Jun 17 with 1700 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'd love Phillips to stay, but we have to be reasonable here. We're £200m in debt - if a Prem club comes in with anything £5m+ we simply have to sell - and we should sell, too. And in 2 years if Luongo does really well and someone offers good money we should sell then, too. so you might as well get used to that.
As for battling in the wrong half of the table - well, if you're expecting anything else next season you're a more optimistic man than I. Next year is going to be rough. Very rough. This is a tough league, and we have a brand new squad and a new manager who hasn't managed at this level before. Someone like Mackie is going to be absolutely vital.
finally, I don't think signing Mackie means Phillips is off at all. We need to get in a lot of players in almost every position - and we should certainly not leave ourselves short in case Phillips goes on deadline day.

Bare bones.

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 14:22 - Jun 17 with 1693 viewsJigsore

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 14:04 - Jun 17 by Clive_Anderson

Reading supporters are gutted they haven't signed him up, he was second in their player of the year vote apparently.

Forest supporters don't like him but what do they know?

He was on 25k a week at Forest though. They went a bit crazy with the signings when they got their sugar daddy

Could this mean... a player moving to QPR to be on less money than previously?

swoon

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 16:02 - Jun 17 with 1637 viewsNW10Hoop

Northern is back - on the Offish!! on 14:20 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

I'd love Phillips to stay, but we have to be reasonable here. We're £200m in debt - if a Prem club comes in with anything £5m+ we simply have to sell - and we should sell, too. And in 2 years if Luongo does really well and someone offers good money we should sell then, too. so you might as well get used to that.
As for battling in the wrong half of the table - well, if you're expecting anything else next season you're a more optimistic man than I. Next year is going to be rough. Very rough. This is a tough league, and we have a brand new squad and a new manager who hasn't managed at this level before. Someone like Mackie is going to be absolutely vital.
finally, I don't think signing Mackie means Phillips is off at all. We need to get in a lot of players in almost every position - and we should certainly not leave ourselves short in case Phillips goes on deadline day.

I don't entirely agree with this. Our problem hasn't been that we have been holding on to our assets too long, it's that we signed a load of old crap on massive wages and long contracts.

In much the same way that the government selling off state owned banks and the Royal Mail isn't gonna clear the deficit, selling players like Phillips for £5million isn't gonna clear the debt..... Getting back into and remaining in the Premier league without spending way too much is what is gonna get the debt down.

Very happy about Mackie being back, he should never have been allowed to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024