Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stay or Go, Ollie? 08:31 - Feb 4 with 7094 viewsdavman

So, before yesterday, I was resigned to having no choice that Ollie had to stay, but that dirge yesterday has finally persuaded me that change is needed.

Not now, you understand, but at the end of the season. If Ollie gets us to the clear out point still in this division, he'll have done a great job, but it should then be, "thanks, Ian, but it's time for you to go".

Something has to change with that playing squad, because they are clearly not as bad as they have been playing and, if we can find someone to take our basket case on, we should give them a chance.

Just get us over that bloody survival line asap!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 09:15 - Feb 4 with 4270 viewsozexile

End of season.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 09:34 - Feb 4 with 4238 viewssmegma

The team is as bad as they've been playing.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 09:44 - Feb 4 with 4206 views2Thomas2Bowles

We have had a makeshift defense all season. Not the fault of IH
Players making basic mistakes. Not the fault of IH
Strikers that are just not good enough, should have been sorted by the club last summer Washington the prime example
Out of form players like Freeman yesterday, Pav a lot of games just to name 2.

Dav. You are normally one of the more grounded posters, have you bumped your head or something.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:16 - Feb 4 with 4149 viewsdavman

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 09:44 - Feb 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

We have had a makeshift defense all season. Not the fault of IH
Players making basic mistakes. Not the fault of IH
Strikers that are just not good enough, should have been sorted by the club last summer Washington the prime example
Out of form players like Freeman yesterday, Pav a lot of games just to name 2.

Dav. You are normally one of the more grounded posters, have you bumped your head or something.

Dunno really, mate. The pace of that game from the off was just dull and playing with a right winger, but no one on the left was just downright bizarre. So many times Robinson got the ball, looked up, saw no-one there and had to go back.

There was just nothing out there.

Sorry, love Ollie, but, sorry!
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 11:37]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:20 - Feb 4 with 4137 viewsozranger

Personally, although I have tended to keep my mouth shut on this matter, I believe that it won't be that he should go at the end of the season. I think that management will take that step. Olly, ostensibly, had a remit to get us back to "normal" where we were to stay up and to clear the dead wood and overly paid players. At this summer, he will, hopefully, have done that.

Olly has come in and done his best with what he's got. Unfortunately many of us, and my guess that will also be management by the end of the season, see that Olly will not be the way forward and will thank him graciously for having "saved" the club. That will allow Olly to depart with his head held high and the club still looking good, both in the minds of the fans as well as with a new manager who can continue the stabilisation and then move us forward. Who that new manager is, I have not the foggiest.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:45 - Feb 4 with 4058 viewsAgedR

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:16 - Feb 4 by davman

Dunno really, mate. The pace of that game from the off was just dull and playing with a right winger, but no one on the left was just downright bizarre. So many times Robinson got the ball, looked up, saw no-one there and had to go back.

There was just nothing out there.

Sorry, love Ollie, but, sorry!
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 11:37]

Bizarre wasn’t it. It initially looked like we might be playing a 442, with Pav on the right and Freeman the left.

As an aside, if that was the case, why drop the only actual tried and tested left full back at the club in Bidwell (poor sods been playing wing back all season, a position he has no history of playing).

However, I digress. It looked as though we were actually playing a 442, but, with Scowen and Cousins in the centre, Freeman on the right and Pav wide right. This meant there was no one on the left, meaning Washington was drawn away from Smith to cover that area.

I thought Pav had his best game for a while and, particularly in the second half, we had some threat when we got in to wide areas (obviously only on the right).

I’d play Freeman as a number 10 supporting one of our shot shy strikers. Then Luongo and Scowen in the middle, with Pav on the left/right and Samuel on the other side of that left/right.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:55 - Feb 4 with 4019 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Every five years or so, football changes. There are those who set the trends, those who can adapt and those that get left behind.

Football isn’t what it was in 2003 when Ollie was in his pomp, and when his time at the helm was rather enjoyable truth be told. But as time has progressed since his return, it seems to me that what we’ve got is a manager whose time has passed. Sad to say that, as I still love the guy.

Not a clue who we’d look at as a possible replacement, but I do think Ollie needs replacing in the summer. I fear next season if he’s still here, it could be more ‘difficult’ then it’s going to be. Of bigger concern, and after several years of consistently poor decisions regarding the managerial hot seat, I’ve got no confidence that the powers that be will suddenly get it right.

Season 2018/19 is I fear, going to be shitty!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 11:01 - Feb 4 with 3989 viewsPunteR

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 10:45 - Feb 4 by AgedR

Bizarre wasn’t it. It initially looked like we might be playing a 442, with Pav on the right and Freeman the left.

As an aside, if that was the case, why drop the only actual tried and tested left full back at the club in Bidwell (poor sods been playing wing back all season, a position he has no history of playing).

However, I digress. It looked as though we were actually playing a 442, but, with Scowen and Cousins in the centre, Freeman on the right and Pav wide right. This meant there was no one on the left, meaning Washington was drawn away from Smith to cover that area.

I thought Pav had his best game for a while and, particularly in the second half, we had some threat when we got in to wide areas (obviously only on the right).

I’d play Freeman as a number 10 supporting one of our shot shy strikers. Then Luongo and Scowen in the middle, with Pav on the left/right and Samuel on the other side of that left/right.

"Bidwell (poor sods been playing wing back all season, a position he has no history of playing). "

Or the graveyard shift as Ollie put it .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 12:15 - Feb 4 with 3849 viewscorse

Didnt want him here in the first place and i think he is out of depth and lacking any tactical ideas and managerial skills nowadays.
We have not improved a bit under his reign. But...
He can stay till the end of season cause it would be madness to kick him out now but then out. Asap.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 12:24 - Feb 4 with 3803 viewsTHEBUSH

My heart says Ollie to stay, but my head says, we need to start afresh next season.

Perhaps Ollie could stay if we could employ a tried and tested head coach.

Someone like his old mate, Kenny Jacket, although I think he´s manager of Portsmouth now.

Anyway, gonna be a difficult decision for Les & Co at the seasons end.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 12:34 - Feb 4 with 3778 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can anyone really be fcked to go through the recruitment process AGAIN?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 12:39]
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 12:36 - Feb 4 with 3773 views2Thomas2Bowles

Stick with the plan which is to clear out the squad at the end of the season not change the manager again.

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:00 - Feb 4 with 3706 views1JD

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 12:36 - Feb 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Stick with the plan which is to clear out the squad at the end of the season not change the manager again.

The squad has already been “cleared out”, we’ve been doing it for the last 3 seasons since our relegation from the Prem. There are only 4 senior pros out of contract at the end end of the year, and I’m not including JET. They are Ned, Perch, Robbinson and Mackie. That’s hardly a lot.

It is likely that all three will re-sign if we can agree reduced terms, with Nedum and Robbo presumably priorities. Mackie will leave. Perch will also not be re-signed if we plan to bring in a younger, mobile, football-playing right back. Which I hope.

So our squad is likely to be as it is by and large. The question will be if we can sell anyone, since we have a one in one out policy. If we find a buyer for Sylla or Washington we will bring a striker in.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:01 - Feb 4 with 3703 viewsBushRanger82

Go.
I'd had enough of Holloway's bizarre team selections, not to mention lack of tactical nous, even before Norwich away last season.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:09 - Feb 4 with 3678 viewsdaveB

really don't see the point in changing managers at this stage of the season, Holloways remit was to cut the squad, give youngsters a chance and stay up and he's done that so far, we have a nice gap from the bottom 3. Would a new manager do any better with this squad, it's debatable but personally don't think it would be a massive improvement with these players.

yesterday was a pretty poor performance but we got the win and that was all that really mattered.

I'd wait and see where are at the end of the season and then decide.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:22 - Feb 4 with 3629 viewsQPR_John

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:09 - Feb 4 by daveB

really don't see the point in changing managers at this stage of the season, Holloways remit was to cut the squad, give youngsters a chance and stay up and he's done that so far, we have a nice gap from the bottom 3. Would a new manager do any better with this squad, it's debatable but personally don't think it would be a massive improvement with these players.

yesterday was a pretty poor performance but we got the win and that was all that really mattered.

I'd wait and see where are at the end of the season and then decide.

"Would a new manager do any better with this squad, it's debatable but personally don't think it would be a massive improvement with these players"

The only conclusion from that argument is that the entire squad needs replacing as no manager can get more out of it. So it comes down to who do you trust to do it.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:28 - Feb 4 with 3601 views2Thomas2Bowles

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:22 - Feb 4 by QPR_John

"Would a new manager do any better with this squad, it's debatable but personally don't think it would be a massive improvement with these players"

The only conclusion from that argument is that the entire squad needs replacing as no manager can get more out of it. So it comes down to who do you trust to do it.

The only conclusion from that argument is that the entire squad needs replacing as no manager can get more out of it

No it does not mean that. unless you think we should be playing in the Prem

who do you trust to do it

Give us your list then.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 13:35]

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:36 - Feb 4 with 3568 viewsdaveB

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:22 - Feb 4 by QPR_John

not really I just think the squad is one that should finish between 10th and 16th in the championship and thats around where we have been for most of the season.

I think the squad needs to be improved but doesn't need replacing entirely. if a new manager came in tomorrow I don't see him finishing higher than 10th - 16th this season so for me would be a pointless change. The summer is a different thing, I do think we have an opportunity to improve the squad and be looking at moving up the table so club need to decide if Holloway is the man to do that or not, I think he'll need to show a lot more to be given that opportunity over the next few months but it's something he could do.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:42 - Feb 4 with 3547 viewsBostonR

Yesterday was poor from the off. Two poor teams, poor attendance, poor set-up from IH (again) but he got the result. My mates and I have been going for years, but at HT yesterday the general agreement was that if IH is in charge next season we will give it miss.

Would you really allow IH and Mark Bircham anywhere near selecting new players and then getting them into some sort of shape? I don't think so.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:43 - Feb 4 with 3545 viewsWestonsuperR

The general consensus before the start of the season was we would really struggle and finish close to the relegation zone if not in it. We are currently 15th and 10pts clear of the bottom 3 so why are we having a debate when Ollie is slightly over achieving?
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:44 - Feb 4 with 3541 viewsSimonJames

Ditch Ollie in the summer and get someone who will give us a stable, recognisable playing system, not a tombola. A plan A and a Plan B that every player understands completely.
Then make sure all recruitment is based on that i.e. if you're not going to use wingers then don't recruit wingers.

(Even if we finish 15th don't be fooled into thinking that IH has the vision or skill to take this club further. He doesn't. He's was spent force at Palarse and he underlined it with his failure at Millwall.)

100% of people who drink water will die.

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:54 - Feb 4 with 3502 views2Thomas2Bowles

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:42 - Feb 4 by BostonR

Yesterday was poor from the off. Two poor teams, poor attendance, poor set-up from IH (again) but he got the result. My mates and I have been going for years, but at HT yesterday the general agreement was that if IH is in charge next season we will give it miss.

Would you really allow IH and Mark Bircham anywhere near selecting new players and then getting them into some sort of shape? I don't think so.

but at HT yesterday the general agreement was that if IH is in charge next season we will give it miss.

I'll miss you whinging and hate

Still I may go just for the nicer atmosphere. always a silver lining

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 14:14 - Feb 4 with 3443 viewsBostonR

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 13:54 - Feb 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

but at HT yesterday the general agreement was that if IH is in charge next season we will give it miss.

I'll miss you whinging and hate

Still I may go just for the nicer atmosphere. always a silver lining

I was wondering when you would raise yourself from the armchair.

As you never go, how on earth can you relate to our conversation at HT. As they say "you have to be there" and there's a fat chance of that happening.

I would imagine the club might miss the the circa £12K that our group bring in on ST's plus the additional expenses on beers etc. I might just become an ill-informed, arrogant idiot, like some poster on here who goes by the name of 2Thomas2Bowles.
Stay or Go, Ollie? on 14:16 - Feb 4 with 3434 viewsEsox_Lucius

I have kept out of this one since I never wanted IH back as manager anyway and it probably clouds my judgement to some extent. The thorny issue of who? if not IH, is usually the trapdoor to many posters input and something I wish to address here with my three penny worth. I agree with IH staying until the end of the season regardless of where we finish as doing otherwise could prove to be a gigantic shot in our own foot. If IH is to be disposed of as manager at the end of the season, would he be prepared to stay on, as Chris Ramsey did, in a different role as assistant to the new boss (more later) rather than face an uncertain time out of work and a declining win percentage? I really like what he has done wrt fitness and motivation of players, there seems to be a good team spirit among the players. I have real misgivings over his tactical nous and his utter unwillingness to to see that pumping the ball up to Smith, or whoever is burdened with the "target man" label that game is almost entirely fruitless, more so in light of the fact that on the occasions he wins the ball it rarely lands even close to a hooped shirt ergo, lost possession. This seems to be a real factor in our game as any header by a QPR player is almost guaranteed to be snaffled up by the opposition whereas our opponents seem to be in the opposite camp no matter how poor they are playing. Something for the coaching staff to address with new drills?
Finally, who? I have tried to take into consideration that IH isn't on a lot of money if the stories are to be believed and anyone who replaces him will only be offered a similar salary. The replacement will also be given the same remit of working on a shoestring budget or worse due to potential FFP sanctions, a real deal killer for many an aspiring manager I assume. The replacement would also be tasked with converting cheap deals into profit machines and likewise with the academy players; this too would rule out any number of potential new managers and it was the above that gave me the head scratching task of who then. The only one I can think of at this time (at the time before IH was appointed I was all for us trying to get Chris Wilder as he had almost 8 years success at both Oxford & Northampton (both close to where I live so it was in the spotlight a bit more) and in retrospect I feel I was on the right tracks so feel justified in my offering for IH's replacement, step forward Michael Appleton currently assistant Manager at Leicester City and is probably not high profile enough for LCFC to appoint manager on any but a temporary basis. He is only 42, forward thinking and had a good track record at Oxford United and brought in Kemar Roofe & John Lundstram in his second season showing an eye for a good player. The reason he may be within our budget is his poor record at Blackpool & Blackburn, perhaps that's a NW thing LOL
In summary I feel our options are severely limited in what we can do next and rest assured, if I think of any other replacements for IH so as to cheer up the Holloway out brigade, I will be certain to share my astuteness with you all LOL.

The grass is always greener.

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 14:22 - Feb 4 with 3420 viewsSimonJames

Stay or Go, Ollie? on 14:16 - Feb 4 by Esox_Lucius

I have kept out of this one since I never wanted IH back as manager anyway and it probably clouds my judgement to some extent. The thorny issue of who? if not IH, is usually the trapdoor to many posters input and something I wish to address here with my three penny worth. I agree with IH staying until the end of the season regardless of where we finish as doing otherwise could prove to be a gigantic shot in our own foot. If IH is to be disposed of as manager at the end of the season, would he be prepared to stay on, as Chris Ramsey did, in a different role as assistant to the new boss (more later) rather than face an uncertain time out of work and a declining win percentage? I really like what he has done wrt fitness and motivation of players, there seems to be a good team spirit among the players. I have real misgivings over his tactical nous and his utter unwillingness to to see that pumping the ball up to Smith, or whoever is burdened with the "target man" label that game is almost entirely fruitless, more so in light of the fact that on the occasions he wins the ball it rarely lands even close to a hooped shirt ergo, lost possession. This seems to be a real factor in our game as any header by a QPR player is almost guaranteed to be snaffled up by the opposition whereas our opponents seem to be in the opposite camp no matter how poor they are playing. Something for the coaching staff to address with new drills?
Finally, who? I have tried to take into consideration that IH isn't on a lot of money if the stories are to be believed and anyone who replaces him will only be offered a similar salary. The replacement will also be given the same remit of working on a shoestring budget or worse due to potential FFP sanctions, a real deal killer for many an aspiring manager I assume. The replacement would also be tasked with converting cheap deals into profit machines and likewise with the academy players; this too would rule out any number of potential new managers and it was the above that gave me the head scratching task of who then. The only one I can think of at this time (at the time before IH was appointed I was all for us trying to get Chris Wilder as he had almost 8 years success at both Oxford & Northampton (both close to where I live so it was in the spotlight a bit more) and in retrospect I feel I was on the right tracks so feel justified in my offering for IH's replacement, step forward Michael Appleton currently assistant Manager at Leicester City and is probably not high profile enough for LCFC to appoint manager on any but a temporary basis. He is only 42, forward thinking and had a good track record at Oxford United and brought in Kemar Roofe & John Lundstram in his second season showing an eye for a good player. The reason he may be within our budget is his poor record at Blackpool & Blackburn, perhaps that's a NW thing LOL
In summary I feel our options are severely limited in what we can do next and rest assured, if I think of any other replacements for IH so as to cheer up the Holloway out brigade, I will be certain to share my astuteness with you all LOL.

Maybe some of the money saved on trimming the squad could be spent on luring a better manager in.

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024