Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is todays win 20:46 - Sep 12 with 2120 viewsqpr_1968

up there in your top 3 or 4 opening day matches since you've been going .
in amongst all thats going on, a new era for football, hopefully temporary.

i'd say that for me it is. seems like know one gave us a chance today, but like last season we turned it around.

other opening day seasons for me...
1975/76....qpr 2-0 liverpool
87/88.....w.ham 0-3 qpr
89/90....qpr 2-0 c.palace
03/04....qpr 5-0 blackpool
these are off the top of me head

i know we beat leeds 3-0 a few years back first game, can't remember the year.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Is todays win on 21:05 - Sep 12 with 2044 viewsDWQPR

First home game of 1972-73, beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-2. Start of my first season proper. Standing in the paddock towards the school end and hanging onto the top of the wall until each time we scored when I fell down again!

First home game in Division One in 1973-74. Southampton at home drew 1-1.

Liverpool 1975-76. Didn’t go as was on holiday down in Romney Marsh. Saw it on the TV and read the papers the next morning. Even as a 10 year old you just knew that we had one hell of a team

QPR v Bristol Rovers 1979. First game after relegation. Tommy Doc as manager and he unleashes for one season only the dynamic teenage duo of Clive Allen and Paul Goddard. Both scored worldies that day.

QPR v Blackpool 2003-04. Bloody hot day, Blackpool in black. 5-0. Wild thing. We were now on our way back.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Is todays win on 21:13 - Sep 12 with 2016 viewsloftus77

Rangers 4 Barnsley 0 - 2010-11. Great win and what it heralded...
Is todays win on 21:37 - Sep 12 with 1922 viewsNov77

It’s not often we’ve started a season with expectations so low, so that makes the win more welcome.
But to answer your question, no, not in a million years, a 2-0 win against a team who didn’t have a shot at goal in the second division in an empty stadium will go down as one of the most forgettable opening days sadly.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Is todays win on 21:57 - Sep 12 with 1871 viewsqpr_1968

Is todays win on 21:37 - Sep 12 by Nov77

It’s not often we’ve started a season with expectations so low, so that makes the win more welcome.
But to answer your question, no, not in a million years, a 2-0 win against a team who didn’t have a shot at goal in the second division in an empty stadium will go down as one of the most forgettable opening days sadly.

know what your saying....but

its because of your first sentence that i put us there.

Is todays win on 22:29 - Sep 12 with 1773 viewsterryb

The best has to be at home to Liverpool in 1975.

Other stand outs for me are:-
Hull 3-0? in 1969 following relegation
Stoke 1-0 in 2001
Blackpool 5-0 in 1974
Bristol City 2-2 2007 (Stewart equalised in the last minute after they had scored a minute earlier)
Stoke 2-1 in 2019

The worst has quite a few contenders:-

Everton 1976
Bolton 2011
Swansea 2012

But away to Burnley in 2006 the "performance" that day was far, far worse!
Is todays win on 22:37 - Sep 12 with 1748 viewsqpr_1968

Is todays win on 22:29 - Sep 12 by terryb

Stoke 1-0 in 2001
Blackpool 5-0 in 1974
Bristol City 2-2 2007 (Stewart equalised in the last minute after they had scored a minute earlier)
Stoke 2-1 in 2019

Everton 1976
Bolton 2011
Swansea 2012

forgot about the hull 3-0 win in 1969.
as a 12 year old a few of us sat on the loft terracing left hand side up in the corner with our legs dangling over the side.
think there was 15,000 for that game.

Is todays win on 22:42 - Sep 12 with 1732 viewsNov77

‘83 villa at home, first game back in the top flight, HQ packed and a nice 2-1 win.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Is todays win on 09:07 - Sep 13 with 1548 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The 87-88 game at West Ham you mentioned was my favourite. We were off the back of a couple of dull seasons, had a lot of new players and didn't know what to expect. We played them off the park and I remember those of us who went telling everyone after "no, you really don't get how good we were".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Is todays win on 09:10 - Sep 13 with 1532 viewspaulparker

Is todays win on 09:07 - Sep 13 by BrianMcCarthy

The 87-88 game at West Ham you mentioned was my favourite. We were off the back of a couple of dull seasons, had a lot of new players and didn't know what to expect. We played them off the park and I remember those of us who went telling everyone after "no, you really don't get how good we were".

Yep that’s one of the best opening day results I can remember taking apart that lot at Upton Park
A brand new sweeper system with Paul Parker becoming a fan favourite
The worst was probably the season before 5-1 At Southampton and the 5-0 against Swansea a few years ago

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Is todays win on 09:23 - Sep 13 with 1495 viewsDevon_4_England

Loved the kit for that first game which didn’t have a sponsor on if memory serves? Then Blue Star appeared on the shirt.

Seem to remember we went top of the league a few games into the season at home to Everton?

Remember travelling to Villa Park first game of 93/94 after the high of finishing 5th and getting battered 4 - 1
Is todays win on 16:44 - Sep 13 with 1316 viewsWestonsuperR

Is todays win on 22:29 - Sep 12 by terryb

Stoke 1-0 in 2001
Blackpool 5-0 in 1974
Stoke 2-1 in 2019

Everton 1976
Bolton 2011
Swansea 2012

Bristol City 2v2 for me also, I claim this is the most mad I’ve ever gone at a QPR goal. Being a West Country boy the biggest rival for me has always been Bristol City and to see them score what they thought was the winner in the 90th min was very hard to take, their fans were still celebrating (right next to us) as Stewart headed in the equalizer, lovely stuff!
Is todays win on 16:49 - Sep 13 with 1305 viewshantssi

Is todays win on 22:42 - Sep 12 by Nov77

‘83 villa at home, first game back in the top flight, HQ packed and a nice 2-1 win.

Remember it well, back in the days when a decent promoted team could do well in the First Division before money took over.
If memory serves me well we deserved to win that day and Villa were one of the top teams having not long won the Champions League.
Is todays win on 16:56 - Sep 13 with 1290 viewsflynnbo

Is todays win on 16:49 - Sep 13 by hantssi

Remember it well, back in the days when a decent promoted team could do well in the First Division before money took over.
If memory serves me well we deserved to win that day and Villa were one of the top teams having not long won the Champions League.

Listened to it via Radio 2 in a bar in Spain-girlfriend at the time wasn't too impressed.
Is todays win on 17:04 - Sep 13 with 1268 viewsW7Ranger

The win at Stoke last year wasn't bad either.
Is todays win on 17:08 - Sep 13 with 1262 viewsBrixtonR

That 2-1 Villa game in 1983 was great, I remember interesting shenanigans in the seats above the school End at the beginning of the game ;-)
Thing was though the Villa game was the 3rd game of the season as we'd lost 1-3 at Man U on the first Saturday it should have been 2-2 as Clive Allen somehow hit the post at 2-1 when we all thought it had to be in. We then drew 0-0 at Southampton on a ridiculously hot bank holiday Monday at the Dell with 4,000 Rangers there (according to a policemans radio)
Is todays win on 17:24 - Sep 13 with 1229 viewsDWQPR

Is todays win on 17:08 - Sep 13 by BrixtonR

That 2-1 Villa game in 1983 was great, I remember interesting shenanigans in the seats above the school End at the beginning of the game ;-)
Thing was though the Villa game was the 3rd game of the season as we'd lost 1-3 at Man U on the first Saturday it should have been 2-2 as Clive Allen somehow hit the post at 2-1 when we all thought it had to be in. We then drew 0-0 at Southampton on a ridiculously hot bank holiday Monday at the Dell with 4,000 Rangers there (according to a policemans radio)

Remember the Southampton game very well. Five of us went in a Cortina Mk3 GT, the dogs wotsits at the time. Crammed into the pen in the away end and spent the first half taking the pîss out of Peter Shilton who had just been exposed for playing away with a lady called Tina. They had a few top players in that side including Keegan so 0-0 was a pretty good result.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Is todays win on 17:35 - Sep 13 with 1208 viewsHamptonR

Great game.

My West Ham mates said we were the best team they had seen all season, months later not that day.
Is todays win on 17:43 - Sep 13 with 1185 viewsBrixtonR

The 3-0 West Ham game in 87-88 will always be my favourite as it was so unexpected, We destroyed them and Paul Parker looked like.......well I guess Paul Parker!

Other notables were the 3-1 v WBA in 84/85, we looked great in the first 4 games of that season should have beaten Liverpool away and then battered Watford but only drew 1-1, totally destroyed Forest 3-0 in the 4th game and Bannister was a revelation especially after losing Clive Allen. I guess by the 5th game (0-5 v Spurs :-( :-( :-( Clemence is a toucan/Agadoo) Mullery (you're not fit to wipe my ar5e) had sprinkled his 'managerial magic' (the cnt) and the season came off the rails. In fact, 84-85 was always my worst season before 14-15 onwards. Thanks, Bungle.

Also the 2-0 v Palace in 89/90 was a great result - lovely hot day too. It was massively going off after the game but I managed mid mayhem to dart into the record shop on the Goldhawk Road to buy a 12 mix of Rock to the Beat they were rinsing on Centreforce - Said Acid....Said Exctasy. Just what you need in a football row, fck your Jiff lemons and Stanleys I've got a 12'' slab of fragile Vinyl so there.

As totally hatstand as this sounds I thought yesterday's performance echoed the 87-88 West Ham one in some ways as it was so unexpected. Also individuals seemed to play well and up there game individually but they seemed to play as a team. I caveat this by saying that on TV or live I've only seen us win once since the 3-2 v Leicester in 2014 and that was the 1-0 v Boro in lockdown which was pretty s***. So I'm probably the worst judge ever to be fair lol
Let's just hope it way more 87-88 than 84-85 !

Oh well go on then lets ave it...

[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 17:52]
Is todays win on 18:00 - Sep 13 with 1148 viewsloftboy

Is todays win on 09:23 - Sep 13 by Devon_4_England

Loved the kit for that first game which didn’t have a sponsor on if memory serves? Then Blue Star appeared on the shirt.

Seem to remember we went top of the league a few games into the season at home to Everton?

Remember travelling to Villa Park first game of 93/94 after the high of finishing 5th and getting battered 4 - 1

No we had a funky Adidas kit that season with Holland fly KLM on the front.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Is todays win on 18:00 - Sep 13 with 1146 viewsPlanetHonneywood

West Ham away 1987/88.

Had the game wrapped up at half-time, in an effortless display that left West Ham with a second one.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Is todays win on 03:57 - Sep 14 with 1006 viewsSydneyRs

That was a brilliant day at one of my favourite away grounds. Glorious sunshine, good atmosphere and a superb performance. Kevin Brock looked like the best midfielder in the world that day but it wasn't too long before he became a favourite of the boo boys.

The Palace one mentioned before was also one that sticks in the memory.
Is todays win on 04:08 - Sep 14 with 1004 viewsSydneyRs

Good call, remember this very well although it wasn't the opening day. We'd been beaten 3-1 at Old Trafford on the opening day but had played pretty well and the mood was optimistic for the first home game of the season.

We were stuck in traffic near LR before the game and guys came along the line of cars handing out team posters with the caption "now they are sponsored by Guinness, they're in a different league". Still the best sponsor we ever had and a perfect fit at the time.

That was the first year I had a season ticket, 18 quid for the season in the Loft! My standout memory of the game was when Villa (Peter Withe I think) scored an own goal at our end.

Simon Stainrod went over to take one of his long throws on the Ellerslie Road side. When he got there a bloke in the crowd offered him a pint of Guinness. Stainrod's actions these days would probably see him sent to rehab and on some sort of alcohol awareness education course. He took the pint, had a swig and gave it back. Then he launched the long throw and it ended up in the back of the net off Withe. Great times.

For anyone that doesn't know, there's an account on twitter called 'On This Day - QPR' That puts up loads of old goals from years gone by, many of which I'd never seen and others great memories of games I was at. Well worth following.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024