Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tom Carroll 09:49 - Sep 14 with 5690 viewsswisscottage

I haven't seen much mention of him on the various post match threads, but for me, his ability to know where he was going to pass the ball before he even received it is a quality you don't get much in the Championship.

Its not a talent I've seen much of at QPR, other than Wilkins and Faurlin, and coupled with an ability to pick up the correct positions and find space in the middle of the park,

He's coming back from an injury, but just what he showed on Saturday was exceptional, and if he can continue to do that for the rest of the season, I don't think we'll be missing Eze as a team all that much.

I'm not saying he's anything comparable to Eze like for like, but his ability to open up a defence with a through ball, or a clever one over the top, is likely to present plenty of openings for a mobile forward three or four in front of him

How on earth was he on a free, and how on earth were we able to pick him on our limited wage bill? To me he already looks like he could be the signing of the season.

[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 9:50]
Tom Carroll on 10:23 - Sep 14 with 3732 viewsLblock

Just to clarify.....

You’re mentioning him in the same sentence as Ray Wilkins and Ali Faurlin in terms of a positive comparison?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Tom Carroll on 10:30 - Sep 14 with 3692 viewsWestbourneR

I agree. One year deal seemed very cautious - if he keeps this from up for more than 5 or 6 games I'd think we'd need to look at a longer deal asap.

He's probably at the top end of our pay structure (10k to 15k a week) so they probably didn't want to commit to a longer deal right away.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Tom Carroll on 10:33 - Sep 14 with 3674 viewsswisscottage

I would hope that whilst its only a one year deal that it includes the option to extend for another, which seems to be pretty standard with many of our deals recently with Hoos and Ferdiand.

From the player's side I also wouldn't be surprised if there was an option on his side for an extensions with more money if he plays a certain number of games.
Tom Carroll on 10:36 - Sep 14 with 3655 viewsingeminate

He was great on Sat. Good range of passing and always looking to play forward.

That said it’s only one game and he’s been underwhelming for years. It might be that he’s one who benefits from not having a crowd in that in the past he’s picked safe options because he’s not wanted to risk losing possession.

V likely we have a year option on contract - we normally do - but wouldn’t want any increase on that till he’s proven that wasn’t a one off.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 11:25]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Tom Carroll on 10:36 - Sep 14 with 3655 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I said on Saturday that he was the best player on the pitch while he was on. Another poster rightly pointed out that he quietened after HT though.

I thought he was very good in that first half - positive, prompting, playing off Chair and Amos very well and his ability to find space and pick a long pass gave us something we normally lack. Let's hope it continues.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tom Carroll on 10:38 - Sep 14 with 3644 viewsMaggsinho

Tom Carroll on 10:33 - Sep 14 by swisscottage

I would hope that whilst its only a one year deal that it includes the option to extend for another, which seems to be pretty standard with many of our deals recently with Hoos and Ferdiand.

From the player's side I also wouldn't be surprised if there was an option on his side for an extensions with more money if he plays a certain number of games.

I think when he signed, Sean Gallagher reported it was indeed one year with the option to extend.
Tom Carroll on 10:42 - Sep 14 with 3624 viewswestberksr

it may well be an encouraging start but he was on a free for a reason. Tidy enough on the ball and may have a good enough brain and ability to play a part in our midfield this season and may suit Warburton's style of play.

But let's not get too carried away after 1 game; review after 15 and hopefully we are all singing his praises.

Regardless of all that, whatever he does will not prevent this team missing Eze; for all that LTC might bring others into the game and set up chances for them, even suggesting that is a bit daft and detracts from the sentiment of your post.
Tom Carroll on 10:49 - Sep 14 with 3581 viewsPhilmyRs

Looked good and hopefully carries on that level of performance. I don't think Carroll's signing will mask over the cracks of losing Eze though, as you say very different players but what Eze brings to the table is once in a generation stuff. I actually think these two (Eze and Carroll) together for us would have made for some incredible football but that wasn't to be.

A new attacking player/striker to play with or to compete with Dykes, and BOS to carry on putting in a 100% like he did on Satruday and the option of a Carroll first time pass in behind or one of his quick switch of play passes and we'll cause teams problems and give them a bit more to think about.

The crowd point is a good one. He seems to be taking more risks, showing off his passing range a lot more which probably is because he hasn't got the added crowd pressure to contend with.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 10:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Tom Carroll on 10:49 - Sep 14 with 3581 viewsbosh67

I suspect the one year deal is to do with his fitness and ability to avoid injury. If he gets through the season they will probably give him a 2 year contract after that.

IF he keeps fit and avoids injury he is a very useful player with lots of experience. He's always been able to slide a pass but has rarely played in sides that have the mindset that this one does so perhaps we will see him flourish, but it will be down to him avoiding further injuries.

Way too soon to compare to Faurlin or Wilkins and very few will ever compare to Wilkins, but their were some very Faurlin-esque passes on his league debut so let's hope.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Tom Carroll on 10:55 - Sep 14 with 3541 viewsfrancisbowles

Tom Carroll on 10:30 - Sep 14 by WestbourneR

I agree. One year deal seemed very cautious - if he keeps this from up for more than 5 or 6 games I'd think we'd need to look at a longer deal asap.

He's probably at the top end of our pay structure (10k to 15k a week) so they probably didn't want to commit to a longer deal right away.

He has caught the eye with his passing and played very well in both games so far. If he keeps up this level of performance into the second half of the season and gets fit enough to last games, we can take up our option and offer him longer if we think fit. He is though, 28 now so by the end of the two years will be 30, so unlikely to have much if any sell on value.

He was however, a player without a club who came in on trial and was offered a one year (+1 yr our option) in this covid era.

I doubt that he is on anything like the wages that you mention.
Tom Carroll on 11:00 - Sep 14 with 3506 viewsBklynRanger

Being on trial with us before signing will have helped him get used to the intended pattern of play, and agree with Bosh's comments - if ever a system was going to suit him this is it. So all very encouraging, so far.
Tom Carroll on 11:16 - Sep 14 with 3432 viewsCiderwithRsie

Quite a few threads praising individual players, which are all fair do's and good to see.

But what stands out for me is that last year we had a decent team built around two outstanding individuals (Eze and BOS, obvs) whereas the year we don't (yet?) have that one genius, but we have more creative players all through the team, plus what looks to be a defensive plan.

We really shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, I think it'll be a fallible team and both individuals and the whole team will not be consistently good, but it feels like a second year of progress should be on the cards.

2021-22 might be a promotion campaign if we can keep this up.
Tom Carroll on 11:20 - Sep 14 with 3411 viewsted_hendrix

Apparently a couple of more signings to come in?

I'll give it 10 or so games then we'll see where we are at.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Tom Carroll on 11:32 - Sep 14 with 3348 viewsEsox_Lucius

Tom Carroll on 11:20 - Sep 14 by ted_hendrix

Sooooo... three weeks time then?

The grass is always greener.

Tom Carroll on 11:40 - Sep 14 with 3312 viewsHastings_Hoops

If Caroll does come good and if we do extend his contract, I wonder whether he will carry much sell-on value as he has already ‘done the rounds’ in the Prem and for one reason or another he’s not cut the mustard. Might be that we end up with a ‘top level player’ with limited sell-on potential, which will be a nice luxury in one respect - we can rely on others to be sold to balance the books.
Tom Carroll on 11:50 - Sep 14 with 3243 viewsBklynRanger

Tom Carroll on 11:20 - Sep 14 by ted_hendrix

Now that's he's got his new Hugill think he's going to try to bring in a new Nakhi - medium build, slippery as an eel, faster than a speeding bluebottle.
Tom Carroll on 11:54 - Sep 14 with 3219 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Tom Carroll on 11:32 - Sep 14 by Esox_Lucius

Sooooo... three weeks time then?

The games come thick and fast in this division.

I think it is fair to say it is better to assess where we are after 10 games than one though. I am delighted with the result and performance but this is QPR and we should know by now not to get carried away!
Tom Carroll on 12:04 - Sep 14 with 3167 viewsLongsufferingR

Tom Carroll on 11:50 - Sep 14 by BklynRanger

Now that's he's got his new Hugill think he's going to try to bring in a new Nakhi - medium build, slippery as an eel, faster than a speeding bluebottle.

Personally, I think we already have that with Smyth.
Tom Carroll on 12:11 - Sep 14 with 3138 viewsBklynRanger

Tom Carroll on 12:04 - Sep 14 by LongsufferingR

Personally, I think we already have that with Smyth.

Me too but I'm culturally biased and not sure that Warbo feels the same way about the pocket rocket. Wouldn't be shocked to see him bring in someone else and send Smyth out on loan yet again. Hope not.
Tom Carroll on 12:31 - Sep 14 with 3072 viewsWatfordR

Tom Carroll on 11:50 - Sep 14 by BklynRanger

Needs to be another target man IMO. If we're going to play one up front, we need to have that option available to us throughout the season.

Having Hugill, and now hopefully Dykes, were and will be crucial parts of the attacking success we had last season, keeping two CBs busy. It's a big miss for us without that physical threat.
Tom Carroll on 12:46 - Sep 14 with 2987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tom Carroll on 12:31 - Sep 14 by WatfordR

Needs to be another target man IMO. If we're going to play one up front, we need to have that option available to us throughout the season.

Having Hugill, and now hopefully Dykes, were and will be crucial parts of the attacking success we had last season, keeping two CBs busy. It's a big miss for us without that physical threat.

This. Over reliance on Dykes is a danger.
Tom Carroll on 13:17 - Sep 14 with 2865 viewspaulparker

It’s one game, I seem to remember Amos being brilliant at stoke last year before fading badly, let’s see where we are after Friday and after Christmas before we start talking about faurlin & Wilkins type performances

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Tom Carroll on 14:13 - Sep 14 with 2745 viewsRangersw12

Tom Carroll on 13:17 - Sep 14 by paulparker

It’s one game, I seem to remember Amos being brilliant at stoke last year before fading badly, let’s see where we are after Friday and after Christmas before we start talking about faurlin & Wilkins type performances

I agree it's a bit OTT to mention him in same breath as Wilkins and Faurlin but let's not forget people are quite happy to write players off after 1 game or even before they have kicked a ball for us
Tom Carroll on 14:16 - Sep 14 with 2735 viewsCiderwithRsie

Tom Carroll on 12:31 - Sep 14 by WatfordR

IMO we can be sensibly economical here. Dykes is first choice and he's ours.

If someone as good was available dirt cheap then grab him, but all we really need is cover - we ought to be able to get someone good enough on loan for not too much.
Tom Carroll on 14:21 - Sep 14 with 2714 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think SwissCottage was saying he’s as good as Wilkins or Faurlin, just that he is in the same mould.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024