Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carroll's passing 22:05 - Jan 12 with 3023 viewsbosh67

With far more clever movement in front of him his passing was really excellent. Despite the results and his slightly dubious 90 minute stamina I've been impressed with him so far. He's a player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Carroll's passing on 22:08 - Jan 12 with 2626 viewsHunterhoop

Agree. Pleasantly surprising. Want him to last out games because he can retain possession. Think he could swing in a few more crosses in open play with his left when he plays it back and forth on the left touch line with BOS; they don’t close him down so the option is there and he has a decent delivery.

I think he’ll also improve as the pitches get better in the summer. Began the season playing some lovely first time, well weighted passes, which aren’t really the percentage currently.
Carroll's passing on 22:22 - Jan 12 with 2533 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Carroll's passing on 22:08 - Jan 12 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Pleasantly surprising. Want him to last out games because he can retain possession. Think he could swing in a few more crosses in open play with his left when he plays it back and forth on the left touch line with BOS; they don’t close him down so the option is there and he has a decent delivery.

I think he’ll also improve as the pitches get better in the summer. Began the season playing some lovely first time, well weighted passes, which aren’t really the percentage currently.

We all talk about him not lasting games but he has played a hell of a lot of football this season. Who are we comparing him to? What player in his position does play for 90 mins? Dom Ball played for 90 mins today. I couldn’t tell you what he did but I thought that was his best game for us.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Carroll's passing on 22:29 - Jan 12 with 2473 viewsHunterhoop

I like Ball too. In some ways I like him for his comedic value. He feels like a Rangers player.

He actually opens his body up to receive the ball and change direction really well...better than anyone in our team. But when stationary or stood up by the oppo, he turns direction as quickly as an oil tanker (or me). His passing goes from excellent to abysmal, as does his shooting. His tackling and harrying sometimes is spot on and other times ages late. And he belted a 25 yarder in with his left foot to win a game in the last minute 3-2 He clearly wants to win and sees this as the best team he's played for in his career. You can see he really wants it. I like him a lot. Potential for future cult status if he can just up his game that fraction.
Carroll's passing on 22:35 - Jan 12 with 2427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good point about the better movement, Bosh, and good point about the opportunity to cross, Hunter.

When I'm unsure about how one of our players is performing I try to spin it around and wonder what the opposition are thinking of him. Whether he's causing them problems. Whether they'd prefer him or someone else.

The answer with Carroll is that more often than not he's the fulcrum of our central midfield play, and as often as not he's as effective as any of the oppo players. Whenever we sub him (though granted it's often in tandem or close to in tandem with us subbing the equally influential Chair) our threat diminishes significantly.

Today was a standard 7/10 from Carroll, which is a very high standard. But it wasn't his best game. And yet, he caused Luton more problems than any of their midfielders caused us. He was the best long passer on the pitch (though slightly erratic) the best controller of tempo on the pitch, he tackled back, turned the ball over a few times, slowed their attacks a few times and was (and this is my favourite part) positionally excellent.

He's 28 and we landed him on a free. An excellent signing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Carroll's passing on 23:12 - Jan 12 with 2261 viewsMyke

Carroll's passing on 22:35 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Good point about the better movement, Bosh, and good point about the opportunity to cross, Hunter.

When I'm unsure about how one of our players is performing I try to spin it around and wonder what the opposition are thinking of him. Whether he's causing them problems. Whether they'd prefer him or someone else.

The answer with Carroll is that more often than not he's the fulcrum of our central midfield play, and as often as not he's as effective as any of the oppo players. Whenever we sub him (though granted it's often in tandem or close to in tandem with us subbing the equally influential Chair) our threat diminishes significantly.

Today was a standard 7/10 from Carroll, which is a very high standard. But it wasn't his best game. And yet, he caused Luton more problems than any of their midfielders caused us. He was the best long passer on the pitch (though slightly erratic) the best controller of tempo on the pitch, he tackled back, turned the ball over a few times, slowed their attacks a few times and was (and this is my favourite part) positionally excellent.

He's 28 and we landed him on a free. An excellent signing.

Good post Brian. A lot has been said about our much maligned mid-field.I just put up a piece about Ball,so won't repeat, but think he is playing well in the new system. Maybe we are just a decent LWB from being not bad, as long as Charlie stays fit for the second half of the season.
Carroll's passing on 23:16 - Jan 12 with 2242 viewsWatfordR

Here's a question. Do we think that with Wells, Hugill and Eze still here, Carroll and Dickie would have us comfortably in top 6?
Carroll's passing on 23:16 - Jan 12 with 2241 viewseastside_r

Disagree I am afraid. LTC completes loads of backwards and sideways passes. Gave the ball away nearly every time he passed forwards.

Very much the player we saw last time. Very pretty but no penetration. How many chances has he created this season - stats people?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 23:19]
Carroll's passing on 23:18 - Jan 12 with 2227 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Carroll's passing on 23:12 - Jan 12 by Myke

Good post Brian. A lot has been said about our much maligned mid-field.I just put up a piece about Ball,so won't repeat, but think he is playing well in the new system. Maybe we are just a decent LWB from being not bad, as long as Charlie stays fit for the second half of the season.

I'm still concerned about our central midfield, Myke.
I'm not sure we have enough in the squad or enough on the pitch.
But the last few games have helped in that we have wing-backs and retreating forwards blocking up spaces.

We're now pushing people outside. Good step.

Login to get fewer ads

Carroll's passing on 23:22 - Jan 12 with 2194 viewsMyke

Carroll's passing on 23:16 - Jan 12 by WatfordR

Here's a question. Do we think that with Wells, Hugill and Eze still here, Carroll and Dickie would have us comfortably in top 6?

Well if you add in Dieng we are definitely defensively more solid than last season. Getting all the jigsaw pieces at the same time seems to be elusive though!
Carroll's passing on 23:24 - Jan 12 with 2186 viewsMyke

Carroll's passing on 23:18 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm still concerned about our central midfield, Myke.
I'm not sure we have enough in the squad or enough on the pitch.
But the last few games have helped in that we have wing-backs and retreating forwards blocking up spaces.

We're now pushing people outside. Good step.

Definitely not enough depth, but when we get Amos back, we will have even more mobility in the middle third
Carroll's passing on 23:26 - Jan 12 with 2172 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Carroll's passing on 23:22 - Jan 12 by Myke

Well if you add in Dieng we are definitely defensively more solid than last season. Getting all the jigsaw pieces at the same time seems to be elusive though!

“Getting all the jigsaw pieces at the same time seems to be elusive though“

No different to any other team.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Carroll's passing on 23:26 - Jan 12 with 2168 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Carroll's passing on 23:16 - Jan 12 by eastside_r

Disagree I am afraid. LTC completes loads of backwards and sideways passes. Gave the ball away nearly every time he passed forwards.

Very much the player we saw last time. Very pretty but no penetration. How many chances has he created this season - stats people?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 23:19]

I also agree with some of that. I think he's better further back and playing the key passes that start moves rather than playing the final ball.

But he put Chair through for his 1-on-1 for instance.

But I thought he was forward passing was ok tonight as it usually is, not great but certainly as good as anyone else's on the pitch.

Carroll's passing on 23:33 - Jan 12 with 2127 viewsWatfordR

Carroll's passing on 23:22 - Jan 12 by Myke

45 goals taken out of our team when they are spread amongst three players was a huge loss, especially when you consider the experience that Wells and Hugill possessed. It was always going to be a massive ask to replace that in one season whilst taking into account budgetary restrictions.

If we kept exactly the same squad for the next eighteen months as we have now, I think we'd be a better team in 18 months time. Having Austin around will make Dykes, Bonne and Kelman better forward players.
Carroll's passing on 07:01 - Jan 13 with 1882 viewsmcqpr10

Enjoy LTC playing for us. Technically miles ahead of all our players bar maybe Chair. An excellent free transfer signing.
Carroll's passing on 07:20 - Jan 13 with 1810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What a relief to discover the title of this thread was not about the untimely death of LTC!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Carroll's passing on 09:25 - Jan 13 with 1583 viewsgazza1

Unlike many posters here I am not that impressed with Carroll.....no doubt he moves the ball around but mostly in deep areas where there is plenty of time, lots of space for both himself and the player he passes to. He cannot tackle, certainly fades after 45 minutes and not seen him create chances very often. Doesn't cross the ball enough for me when he has a chance, doesn't get in forward positions that much and lacks any pace. Yes, comes across as a good footballer/passer of the ball.

Is he worth a place in the Team every week, maybe at this moment in time but if we want to progress we need better.
Carroll's passing on 09:58 - Jan 13 with 1494 viewsQPROslo

Carroll's passing on 09:25 - Jan 13 by gazza1

Unlike many posters here I am not that impressed with Carroll.....no doubt he moves the ball around but mostly in deep areas where there is plenty of time, lots of space for both himself and the player he passes to. He cannot tackle, certainly fades after 45 minutes and not seen him create chances very often. Doesn't cross the ball enough for me when he has a chance, doesn't get in forward positions that much and lacks any pace. Yes, comes across as a good footballer/passer of the ball.

Is he worth a place in the Team every week, maybe at this moment in time but if we want to progress we need better.

I though Carroll was good last night, and played smart, covering behind BOS when he was, frequently, getting forward down the left.
Carroll's passing on 11:14 - Jan 13 with 1374 viewsWestbourneR

He's got a very good head for the game - but like last time his passing execution technique is not top drawer and that limits the impact, particularly with through balls which often don't come off.

That said we NEED a player like Carroll, someone who receives and gives the ball in centre mid and sets tempo.

As a free transfer he's a very astute addition to the team. We need another one.

I'd love to get Bradley Dack but he'd cost £5 million at least.

Agree about Ball, think he's a great part of the squad and again on a free. Amazing attitude.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Carroll's passing on 11:22 - Jan 13 with 1345 viewshantssi

Carroll's passing on 09:25 - Jan 13 by gazza1

IF he could do everything you suggest he’d be playing in the Prem or a promotion chasing Championship side not a middling (at best) side like us.
Carroll's passing on 12:14 - Jan 13 with 1214 viewssimmo

What seems to always go under the radar with Carroll is his movement and demand for the ball. The reason we struggle so much to retain possession when he goes off is less about his passes but more that he seems to be the only one that moves as soon as he gives it, to create the triangle and provide an option.

It's likely why his distance covered stats are always so high. He doesn't just look to find a QPR player with the ball, he makes it easier for his team-mates without it.

A rare bit of QPR fortune that he's fallen in our lap for free and on low wages - I'd be more than happy to give him another year at least, until we find a better alternative.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Carroll's passing on 12:23 - Jan 13 with 1189 viewsrsonist

The reason TC has had such a middling career is that he is uncompromisingly single purpose and offers no secondary functions whatsoever. In that sense his detractors here aren't inaccurate (he doesn't do things we're sorely lacking for) but their fundamental premise that ball circulation is merely superficial (what he does do - excellently - is inessential) is faulty I would say.
Carroll's passing on 13:29 - Jan 13 with 1088 viewsWestbourneR

Agreed. His ability to pass and move, open angles and recycle the ball is what this team needs. A beating tempo at our heart.

The downside is he can't tackle or shoot at all.

Hence why he is available for free and a cheap one year contract.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Carroll's passing on 13:52 - Jan 13 with 1044 viewsqprd

carroll is a good player, and a nice addiition to our team

having said that, and a bit of a contrarian opinion, i thought he had more to offer yesterday

bright was playing as a left wing back, but showed no interest in crossing with his left foot... his main instinct was either to cut inside onto his right kind of at the edge of the box, or go to the byline and then try to do something with his right foot.. but i think his instinct seems to be to shoot first

when bright ran out of options, he would most regularly pass to carroll, who was picking up a lot of balls in dangerous crossing positions on the left, with bright having occupied some defenders. i cant recall him playing a cross into the box... hes a good crosser of the ball (tho maybe hes one who prefers chipped crosses rather than whipping them in), but i thought with dykes and austin, and even chair floating about, i wouldve liked to see some balls played directly into the box... if we're playing with a poacher in austin and two strikers who know how to flick on, etc, i think we should always be looking to get balls in

(edit: just to add a stat to this, todd kane played 9 crosses ystd, bright and carroll combined for 3 between them....)
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 13:55]
Carroll's passing on 23:45 - Jan 13 with 888 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Carroll's passing on 13:52 - Jan 13 by qprd

carroll is a good player, and a nice addiition to our team

having said that, and a bit of a contrarian opinion, i thought he had more to offer yesterday

bright was playing as a left wing back, but showed no interest in crossing with his left foot... his main instinct was either to cut inside onto his right kind of at the edge of the box, or go to the byline and then try to do something with his right foot.. but i think his instinct seems to be to shoot first

when bright ran out of options, he would most regularly pass to carroll, who was picking up a lot of balls in dangerous crossing positions on the left, with bright having occupied some defenders. i cant recall him playing a cross into the box... hes a good crosser of the ball (tho maybe hes one who prefers chipped crosses rather than whipping them in), but i thought with dykes and austin, and even chair floating about, i wouldve liked to see some balls played directly into the box... if we're playing with a poacher in austin and two strikers who know how to flick on, etc, i think we should always be looking to get balls in

(edit: just to add a stat to this, todd kane played 9 crosses ystd, bright and carroll combined for 3 between them....)
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 13:55]

Fair point, d.

Carroll's passing on 08:49 - Jan 14 with 789 viewsdistortR

Carroll's passing on 12:23 - Jan 13 by rsonist

The reason TC has had such a middling career is that he is uncompromisingly single purpose and offers no secondary functions whatsoever. In that sense his detractors here aren't inaccurate (he doesn't do things we're sorely lacking for) but their fundamental premise that ball circulation is merely superficial (what he does do - excellently - is inessential) is faulty I would say.

still on 1 assist, though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024