Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James McClean. Thoughts 14:14 - Jul 20 with 16802 viewsHayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3167564/Republic-Ireland-int

Disrespectful cnt, or fair play for standing by his principles?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:16 - Jul 20 with 7278 viewsWatford_Ranger

I don't agree with his principles but I don't like the bandwagon against him and respect his right to abstain from national anthems, poppies etc.

I think he's tarred as a disrespectful cnt but it's a difficult situation for him.
James McClean. Thoughts on 14:18 - Jul 20 with 7256 viewsrunningman75

I think he was correct for having his principles. I have always tried to follow Irish situation with an open mind but with little understanding mainly due to English media bias.
James McClean. Thoughts on 14:21 - Jul 20 with 7226 viewsDejR_vu

Principles? Clearly despises the British, but happy to play in the English Premier League. If his is so principled why doesn't he go and work somewhere else?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:22 - Jul 20 with 7221 viewsHayesender

I'd be interested to hear views from our Irish friends on this.

Over to you Brian McCarthy and Comrade Kirk

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:32 - Jul 20 with 7139 viewsAntti_Heinola

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:21 - Jul 20 by DejR_vu

Principles? Clearly despises the British, but happy to play in the English Premier League. If his is so principled why doesn't he go and work somewhere else?

As F365 said today:

'So because you believe that Britain, through its long history of colonialism, oppressed vast swathes of the world, you should not be allow to work within its borders?'

Besides, it's a fkn horrendous anthem. I'm an atheist and a republican. So what the fk does it mean to me, even as a Brit/Englishman?

Fair play to him - doesn't deserve all this sht.

Bare bones.

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:35 - Jul 20 with 7108 viewsbatmanhoop

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:22 - Jul 20 by Hayesender

I'd be interested to hear views from our Irish friends on this.

Over to you Brian McCarthy and Comrade Kirk

a NI season ticket holder goes ballistic when McLean turns up at Loftus Road. Think he switched allegiance from NI to The Republic. Not well liked is Mr. McLean. Agree with others, hypocrite of the highest order, don't like the country, but loves the Queens shilling
James McClean. Thoughts on 14:38 - Jul 20 with 7091 viewsDWQPR

The bloke has his rights to do what he likes, whether I like it I feel that he could have turned round like everybody else even if he had his head bowed, rather than bring the attention upon himself. I feel that his anti-British stance is hypocritical as without English football he probably wouldn't have got very far in life and would certainly never have enjoyed the riches that he certainly has now. What is forgotten is that there were hundreds on people on each side of the divide that were innocently murdered, and just because the Provos did it incognito was alright. The vast vast majority of people in the North have moved on, maybe McLean ought to as well. He also ought to remember that without the bravery of many of his own people who volunteered to fight Germany in the Second World War, things could also have been so much different for the Irish, and in not such a good way.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:47 - Jul 20 with 7039 viewsLythamR

they should scrap national anthems before matches unless they are international games, how many of that west brom team have any relationship with the british national anthem

they should just be honest and replace the national anthem with "Money" by Pink Floyd
Login to get fewer ads

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:51 - Jul 20 with 7011 viewsQPunkR

I say it's good to see people with principles. The English obviously may not agree with them, but McClean's also explained his stance on the wearing of the poppy very thoroughly and eloquently before.
What him playing in the English league as a footballer has to do with his principles is beyond me. No doubt he was spotted playing football in Derry and was brought over here (and yes is paid an astronomical amount now, like all of 'em!). Why should he change his principles on account of his employer? I can see others disagree, but I don't think he's going out of hiw way to wind ppl up or make a big deal. That's my opinion anyways.

QPR - "shit but local"

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:52 - Jul 20 with 7005 viewsdaveB

I think it's pathetic and he should just get on with it, fair enough if he doesn't want to wear a poppy but turning his back on the anthem is just stupid
James McClean. Thoughts on 14:54 - Jul 20 with 6991 viewslave16

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:38 - Jul 20 by DWQPR

The bloke has his rights to do what he likes, whether I like it I feel that he could have turned round like everybody else even if he had his head bowed, rather than bring the attention upon himself. I feel that his anti-British stance is hypocritical as without English football he probably wouldn't have got very far in life and would certainly never have enjoyed the riches that he certainly has now. What is forgotten is that there were hundreds on people on each side of the divide that were innocently murdered, and just because the Provos did it incognito was alright. The vast vast majority of people in the North have moved on, maybe McLean ought to as well. He also ought to remember that without the bravery of many of his own people who volunteered to fight Germany in the Second World War, things could also have been so much different for the Irish, and in not such a good way.

I think the problem he has is what the poppy and the national anthem represent (both anthems the english and irish ones) they have been hijacked to represent one or another side of the community. People say things have moved on but if you look at the past week or so its been quiet in the north compared to previous years but its still a divided community.
The majority of one community go on holidays to avoid the trouble and come back after a week or so hoping its all blown over.

People say there is no discrimination, bigotry etc in sport but with the publicity this has received this may/may not be true.

If this was in the MLS and the confederate flag was being flown and the confederate anthem played would peoples opinions be different.

I am not comparing the flags and what they stand for etc just the actions. Someone does not view a flag/anthem to represent them and therefore does not stand for it is that so wrong.

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:56 - Jul 20 with 6968 viewspaulparker

McLean is Vermin, a real nasty piece of work

So Mr Principles is happy to make a stand against our anthem,if he hates us so much why doesn't he play for Shamrock Rovers , he won't as he is a fcuking hypocrite who thinks he is making a statement, very laughable when he earns British money
And for those who say our anthem is boring, well it maybe but it's our anthem and like others should be respected, go into some Irish boozers and discreet theirs and you won't walk out alive
him and that bell end pull is are made for each other

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:09 - Jul 20 with 6886 viewsJonDoeman

I like a man with principles, he should take his principles & fck off to the League Of Ireland!

It Is What It Is !!

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:10 - Jul 20 with 6881 viewsdoogi55

not wearing a poppy insult to all those irish men who died in wars
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:13 - Jul 20 with 6864 viewsBklynRanger

I think he's going too far here to be honest. Not wearing the poppy is one thing, but he's not being asked to sing the anthem or do anything in particular other than stand there. You can respectfully disagree with Britain, the U.K., the monarchy, the national anthem etc without needing to turn your back. It comes across as melodramatic attention seeking to me.
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:25 - Jul 20 with 6788 viewsPurleyHoop

Like many Rangers, I'm London-Irish, with family on both 'sides'. What we have to remember here, is that McClean isn't a great thinker, but a footballer. I applaud anyone who questions the grain, but not at the expense of respect to others. He didn't have to sing the anthem, but turning his back showed his petulance and utter disrespect, not to mentioning opening a healing wound that many people in British and Irish culture have emotional opinions to. I really liked his open letter at Wigan, but he has to draw the line here. When we beat them in the playoffs, I actually went on the pitch and shook his hand - he was graceful in defeat, which leads me to think he isn't that much of a proverbial see you next tues.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2015 15:28]
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:25 - Jul 20 with 6785 viewsPunteR

I haven't got a problem with it. Not hurting anyone.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:30 - Jul 20 with 6747 viewsrobith

He bowed his head and stood in silence. Hardly the most disrespectful thing that's ever happened. Hell, half the bloody national team do exactly the same. In the weeks just gone back in the North, Loyalists were buying up Ivory Coast flags due to their similarity to the Republic flag and throwing them on bonfires. He bowed his head, and looked at the floor. Come on.

I don't sing along with the national anthem either because I feel it represents me. I thought in Britain we had a right to freedom of expression - does that right stop when you don't like what's being expressed?

I also enjoy people telling him to go back to Ireland when the whole issue is that he considers himself Irish but his home is still in the UK. So telling him to go home is hands down, one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:33 - Jul 20 with 6717 viewskomradkirk

Hmmmmmmm...him again ?
Gets him some attention,after all Rememberance Sunday is still 4 months away.
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:34 - Jul 20 with 6715 viewsrobith

Also, why the hell is the national anthem being played before a blooming pre season friendly? That's the real issue here!
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:43 - Jul 20 with 6678 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:34 - Jul 20 by robith

Also, why the hell is the national anthem being played before a blooming pre season friendly? That's the real issue here!

Why ??? It's a English club playing abroad, no issue at all
The only issue is McLean trying to be controversial again
If I lived in Ireland and worked there, but disrespected the anthem and the Irish people I would be called a hypocrite and rightly so, if he has a problem with the British, our anthem, our veterans, our rememberance days then don't live here it's pretty simple

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:46 - Jul 20 with 6654 viewsAntti_Heinola

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:43 - Jul 20 by paulparker

If I lived in Ireland and worked there, but disrespected the anthem and the Irish people I would be called a hypocrite and rightly so, if he has a problem with the British, our anthem, our veterans, our rememberance days then don't live here it's pretty simple

Seeing as the 'attention' he gets is a thorough slating every time, i doubt 'attention' is the reason he's doing such things.

Bare bones.

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:07 - Jul 20 with 6555 viewsWatford_Ranger

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:43 - Jul 20 by paulparker

It's not like he angrily despises Britain. He's not advocating anything bad to happen to us. His community was affected by a conflict with British soldiers and he doesn't want to be seen to be disrespecting them by being a part of it. He's quietly abstaining and doing no one any harm but those who choose to get riled.

If a Palestinian footballer played in the Israeli league, should he be forced to take part in something commemorating lost Israeli soldiers? How about any of the other countless conflicts where years later we can live peacefully and aren't forced to not live somewhere because our ancestors didn't get along.
James McClean. Thoughts on 16:07 - Jul 20 with 6552 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:46 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

Seeing as the 'attention' he gets is a thorough slating every time, i doubt 'attention' is the reason he's doing such things.

Who knows with some people

But if I hated a country, the beliefs, the way of life even there anthem I wouldnt go and live there and make money in that country because when you start acting up it makes you a hypocrite

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:15 - Jul 20 with 6515 viewsMrNITK

I wish he had principles on the football pitch the diving cheating c@nt!

Certainly a w@nker on the pitch. I'll steer clear of the politics on this one.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2015 16:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024