Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I on another planet? 10:54 - Nov 28 with 4895 viewsbosh67

Ollie on Cousins last night.

“I had to decide to play Jordan Cousins, who was injured the other day, and I thought he was terrific."

I actually thought he played quite well for the first 30 minutes but he has absolutely no idea how to play at right wing back, hasn't got a clue where he's meant to be, can't tackle and I've lost count of how many times he gets nutmegged, especially by the very talented lad with the upside down flock of seagulls haircut last night.

After 30 minutes he fades, limps about and starts to look like a fan who has won a competition to play 45+ minutes in the team.

I am starting to think that he's got compromising pictures of Ollie in his locker. Am I alone or is he actually the second coming of the messiah?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Am I on another planet? on 10:59 - Nov 28 with 3296 viewsNorthernr

Would you rather the manager came out and said publicly that a player feeling his way back from injury out of position was crap?

People wonder why Holloway gets a bit wound up.
Am I on another planet? on 11:00 - Nov 28 with 3291 viewssuperhoopdownunder

I don't think Cousins is a very good player.
He has either been injured, played poorly or played out of position since he joined us.

Our 3 midfielders are pretty solid and are keeping the team together even though we have a dodgy defence and lack of service for Sylla and Smith (Washington is clearly not good enough for this level and Mackie is losing it)
Therefore no room for Cousins in midfield.
Am I on another planet? on 11:01 - Nov 28 with 3286 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Man-management, I would imagine. He's been out for a long while, being shoehorned into a role and probably needs his confidence reinforced.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Am I on another planet? on 11:04 - Nov 28 with 3262 viewskingsburyR

Am I on another planet? on 11:00 - Nov 28 by superhoopdownunder

I don't think Cousins is a very good player.
He has either been injured, played poorly or played out of position since he joined us.

Our 3 midfielders are pretty solid and are keeping the team together even though we have a dodgy defence and lack of service for Sylla and Smith (Washington is clearly not good enough for this level and Mackie is losing it)
Therefore no room for Cousins in midfield.

Mackie never had it.

I've been saying it for ages. He's the fans darling for some reason. A lot of puff and not a lot else.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Am I on another planet? on 11:07 - Nov 28 with 3242 viewsWestbourneR

Am I on another planet? on 11:04 - Nov 28 by kingsburyR

Mackie never had it.

I've been saying it for ages. He's the fans darling for some reason. A lot of puff and not a lot else.

I was saying that about Mackie when he was here under Warnock - at lease he was scoring goals. He is an extremely limited footballer, head down, blind alleys, no dribbling skills, no vision. Runs in a straight line and hopes it bobbles his way. Sometimes it does.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Am I on another planet? on 11:09 - Nov 28 with 3233 viewstraininvain

Holloway's working with one hand tied behind his back due to injuries. It would be suicidal to start slating one of the only options he has available in that position.

It makes more sense to praise Cousins in the hope that it will help his confidence which looks pretty fragile right now.
Am I on another planet? on 11:09 - Nov 28 with 3232 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Mackie should have scored in the first half - he had a great chance
Second half he was close with a well directed header
Just seems to have slowed down somewhat and has less influence on the game

It would be good if we tried some of our pacier players to see if they could make a difference
Am I on another planet? on 11:12 - Nov 28 with 3217 viewspaulparker

Am I on another planet? on 11:04 - Nov 28 by kingsburyR

Mackie never had it.

Mackie was woeful l, pretty much all night his 2nd touch was a tackle , he also got caught offside a couple of times when he shouldn't of , he was also terrible against villa the other week
its all huff and puff id have pawel in front of him all day long

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Am I on another planet? on 11:31 - Nov 28 with 3145 viewstraininvain

Am I on another planet? on 11:12 - Nov 28 by paulparker

Mackie was woeful l, pretty much all night his 2nd touch was a tackle , he also got caught offside a couple of times when he shouldn't of , he was also terrible against villa the other week
its all huff and puff id have pawel in front of him all day long

Totally agree re Pavel ahead of Mackie. He's completely wasted as a full / wing back. We need him further up the pitch.
Am I on another planet? on 11:34 - Nov 28 with 3125 viewsA40Bosh

I think I am going to make the effort to sit through the whole 95 mins on the offy site again and try and look out for specific things that people on here are very vocal about t(and i am not being sarcastic here) which pass me by when I am just watching the game whilst chewing my fingernails down to the quick for most of the time.

1. Was Cousins awful again at RB (I thought he was an improvement on his last showing)
2. Was Baptiste that poor and was Robinson "covering for him all over the park" - I thought Robinson was mugged a few times and made as many "howlers" if not more
3. Is Mackie useless (yes he put one over the bar that should have hit the back of the net)
- Therefore what is it that Ollie continues to see in Mackie which keeps Pawel out

This leads to the further question of what does Ollie see in training day in day out that means he shoehorns Cousins in to the right back position and reverts to a flat back four rather than play Pawel as a right wing back - could he have done that if we had one more CB fit and pushed Bidwell out to left wing back. So it is the case that not only have we lost both RB but with so few CB fit we are also decimated on the left as Bidwell has to slot back in to LB (many on here do not think he can play left wing back, but I have seen him throw lots of good crosses in during some games.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Am I on another planet? on 11:38 - Nov 28 with 3112 viewsAntti_Heinola

I thought Cousins did well last night - certainly kept a lid on Canos far more than Bidwell managed when he switched wings. Thought Canos was superb all night, actually. Huge relief when they inexplicably subbed him. Strong, skillful, couldn;t give a fk about the pathetic chanting about his hair - in fact, drove him on. Would love him at ours.

Not sure what your beef is with Cousins, Bosh. I've been disappointed because he was a great player for Charlton, but he's been ravaged by injury and is still a young player. Not sure what the option was. Kakay, maybe? Suspect Canos would have had him on toast all night.

Bare bones.

Am I on another planet? on 12:05 - Nov 28 with 3016 views1MoreBrightonR

Cousins is on his way to being the latest boo boy. i dont think he's great but he doesnt duck out of a challenge and considering he's just come back from injury and being played completely out of position, dont think he's doing that bad.
Am I on another planet? on 12:08 - Nov 28 with 3004 viewsA40Bosh

Am I on another planet? on 11:38 - Nov 28 by Antti_Heinola

I thought Cousins did well last night - certainly kept a lid on Canos far more than Bidwell managed when he switched wings. Thought Canos was superb all night, actually. Huge relief when they inexplicably subbed him. Strong, skillful, couldn;t give a fk about the pathetic chanting about his hair - in fact, drove him on. Would love him at ours.

Not sure what your beef is with Cousins, Bosh. I've been disappointed because he was a great player for Charlton, but he's been ravaged by injury and is still a young player. Not sure what the option was. Kakay, maybe? Suspect Canos would have had him on toast all night.

Antti, sorry you've misenterpreted by comments as me having a "beef" with Cousins per se but that is not really the case. As I said, I thought he played much better last night compared to the first game where he slotted in as right wing or full back and he was being carved apart time after time and they picked on him and got behind him time after time - eventually Furlong came on.

So, perhaps Cousins has previously played there (I don't know) when at Charlton but I thought he was an out and out midfielder, so it was more a case of saying why Ollie has been trying to shoehorn a midfielder in to a right back or right wing back position when I would have thought that Furlong (albeit injured last night) and Pawel would be ahead of him as being more suited to that role.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Am I on another planet? on 12:15 - Nov 28 with 2964 viewsA40Bosh

Am I on another planet? on 12:05 - Nov 28 by 1MoreBrightonR

Cousins is on his way to being the latest boo boy. i dont think he's great but he doesnt duck out of a challenge and considering he's just come back from injury and being played completely out of position, dont think he's doing that bad.

My comment that Antti picked up on about Cousins probably appears out of context on this thread, as I had just taken in a lot of comments about Cousins being poor on other threads from last night, specifically the "Ollie gives out to the fans thread". I was actually watching Cousins last night and just as I was saying to myself, he has improved on his last showing in that position, he got roasted down the byline; but that happens to most of our first choice defenders time after time anyway.

It is really just a case of saying even if everyone is fit, we don't seem to be happy as a far base with the right full back/wing back position whoever is playing and Furlong for some reason is just not being trusted with a run by Ollie, so you have various combinations in the past couple of seasons of Perch, Furlong, Ned, Pav and now Cousins.

Am I on another planet? on 12:24 - Nov 28 with 2920 viewsbosh67

Am I on another planet? on 10:59 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Would you rather the manager came out and said publicly that a player feeling his way back from injury out of position was crap?

No I don't but it's pretty obvious after about 5 tries and 5 substitutions that he can't play that position, so why hang him out to dry there?

He has Borysiuk and Kakay not even making the bench. Both of whom would be better suited to playing right back/ right wingback. My point is that both have played that position for other teams but don't get a look in here. Jordan is obviously not fit and although he is big enough to offer to do the job, he's clearly not up to it.

I am obviously on another planet if an unfit, out of form player gets the nod over two players who can actually play the position.

No wonder I get wound up. Especially when Pavel came on and immediately took a throw in at the right back position. Thankfully, after being told to stay back he flung his arms up in the air and said f*ck it in Polish and went down the other end , immediately causing damage.

I get wound up, not because I don't love and admire Ollie, but because he makes decisions, even in hard times that are baffling and plays players so far out of position that they seemingly lose the will to play.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Am I on another planet? on 12:26 - Nov 28 with 2911 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Think Cousins could be OK - he needs game time to prove himself.
Am I on another planet? on 12:30 - Nov 28 with 2890 viewsTHEBUSH

Am I on another planet? on 10:59 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Agree with you totally Northern, Cousins needs games under his belt to get back to full fitness, after his long layoff.

Am surprised by some of the better posters on this board who criticise our manager who has a longer injury list than most other managers
Am I on another planet? on 13:18 - Nov 28 with 2775 viewsAntti_Heinola

Am I on another planet? on 12:08 - Nov 28 by A40Bosh

Antti, sorry you've misenterpreted by comments as me having a "beef" with Cousins per se but that is not really the case. As I said, I thought he played much better last night compared to the first game where he slotted in as right wing or full back and he was being carved apart time after time and they picked on him and got behind him time after time - eventually Furlong came on.

So, perhaps Cousins has previously played there (I don't know) when at Charlton but I thought he was an out and out midfielder, so it was more a case of saying why Ollie has been trying to shoehorn a midfielder in to a right back or right wing back position when I would have thought that Furlong (albeit injured last night) and Pawel would be ahead of him as being more suited to that role.

Sorry mate, was referring to the other Bosh, not you!

I think he did play at RB for Charlton for a bit, actually, but don't quote me on that!

Bare bones.

Am I on another planet? on 13:21 - Nov 28 with 2759 viewsA40Bosh

Am I on another planet? on 13:18 - Nov 28 by Antti_Heinola

Sorry mate, was referring to the other Bosh, not you!

I think he did play at RB for Charlton for a bit, actually, but don't quote me on that!

I forgot who started the thread

Am I on another planet? on 14:50 - Nov 28 with 2571 viewsToast_R

In the absence of Freeman for Preston, I'd like to see Cousins replace him in that role.
Am I on another planet? on 15:05 - Nov 28 with 2513 viewsSimonJames

You have to bear in mind that what the manager thinks is a good performance, is usually based in the player doing what the manager has told them to do.
That is not necessarily what we as fans hope/expect them to do.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Am I on another planet? on 15:16 - Nov 28 with 2495 viewsbosh67

I don't really have a beef with Cousins. I'm watching a player who simply can't play that position with other players still in the squad who can not being considered.

As such I think I am watching a player who is not only not fit but also having his confidence wrecked by being played in a position that is so obviously alien to him.

For 20 odd minutes he did okay with Canos and then Canos simply turned him inside out in a way that Adel used to when he was here. He can't last 90 minutes and you can see the energy drain from him as matches go by.

Fair play to him for offering to play that role but as you say, after so many injury woes its actually effecting his recovery. The player that came here with Charlton played central midfield in the way Luongo does and that is his position.

He's getting a lot of backing on this thread because people believe there is a good player in there but perhaps it would be best that he waits his chance in midfield rather than wrecking him physically and mentally in a position that isn't right back or right wing back.

I don't want him out I just want him right.

Freeman is out this weekend. Perhaps he gets the chance to step in and prove himself in that position, even if that is hard on Manning.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2017 15:18]

Never knowingly right.

Am I on another planet? on 15:39 - Nov 28 with 2442 viewsderbyhoop

I'm with you Antti.
I thought the back 4 as a unit did OK, for most of the time. But all of them had little wobbles, as both Canos and Vibe were excellent for them last night.

Cousins had played RB on occasions for Charlton; he's been out for a good 12 months and is feeling his way back. I thought the decision to play a flat back 4 and rely on senior players, rather than gambling on a youngster in a West London derby was fully justified. I think there were several others who weren't on the top of their game last night but Brentford are no mugs.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Am I on another planet? on 19:53 - Nov 28 with 2188 viewsoldmisery

Am I on another planet? on 15:16 - Nov 28 by bosh67

I don't really have a beef with Cousins. I'm watching a player who simply can't play that position with other players still in the squad who can not being considered.

As such I think I am watching a player who is not only not fit but also having his confidence wrecked by being played in a position that is so obviously alien to him.

For 20 odd minutes he did okay with Canos and then Canos simply turned him inside out in a way that Adel used to when he was here. He can't last 90 minutes and you can see the energy drain from him as matches go by.

Fair play to him for offering to play that role but as you say, after so many injury woes its actually effecting his recovery. The player that came here with Charlton played central midfield in the way Luongo does and that is his position.

He's getting a lot of backing on this thread because people believe there is a good player in there but perhaps it would be best that he waits his chance in midfield rather than wrecking him physically and mentally in a position that isn't right back or right wing back.

I don't want him out I just want him right.

Freeman is out this weekend. Perhaps he gets the chance to step in and prove himself in that position, even if that is hard on Manning.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2017 15:18]

I hate people who say, 'he gave 120 percent'. You can't give more than 100% you fools - but if you could I would agree 200% with your views on Cousins inability to play right back/wing back.
I don't dislike him; he seems an honest, hardworking individual (although clearly not match fit enough to last 90 minutes) but he hasn't the first idea about how to play there and it must be frustrating for any young (U23) defenders who see our injury crisis and know they won't ever get the opportunity to show what they can do.
I saw him play for Charlton about 4 times and he always played as a box to box central midfielder. Maybe he occasionally played full back/wing back for them, I don't know, but if he did then perhaps his ability to be successful in that position was synonymous with their ability to stay in the Championship.
Am I on another planet? on 19:57 - Nov 28 with 2176 viewsBlackCrowe

Am I on another planet? on 19:53 - Nov 28 by oldmisery

I hate people who say, 'he gave 120 percent'. You can't give more than 100% you fools - but if you could I would agree 200% with your views on Cousins inability to play right back/wing back.
I don't dislike him; he seems an honest, hardworking individual (although clearly not match fit enough to last 90 minutes) but he hasn't the first idea about how to play there and it must be frustrating for any young (U23) defenders who see our injury crisis and know they won't ever get the opportunity to show what they can do.
I saw him play for Charlton about 4 times and he always played as a box to box central midfielder. Maybe he occasionally played full back/wing back for them, I don't know, but if he did then perhaps his ability to be successful in that position was synonymous with their ability to stay in the Championship.

That's a fairly unique post

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024