Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Les 15:36 - Jan 12 with 4449 viewsPinnerPaul

Mrs Pinner - a relatively recent 'convert' - was asking how good Mr F was, so showed her this.

One of these goals is eerily similar to Mr Dykes missed chance v Fulham!

Sir Les on 15:57 - Jan 12 with 2625 viewsCamberleyR

If he was playing at his peak now, he would be a £90m player at least. We got £6m for him at 28 when the transfer record had just reached £7.5m (Bergkamp to Arsenal) although Collymore to Liverpool for £8.5m was soon to exceed it.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 15:58]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sir Les on 16:05 - Jan 12 with 2600 viewsNorthernr

He was incredible. Those goal scoring stats were in a midtable team, and without penalties. I really wish he'd gone and played Serie A at that time which was the best league in the world.
Sir Les on 16:09 - Jan 12 with 2587 viewsPinnerPaul

Both comments of course I agree with.

What got me was the fact that one of those goals was scored from nearly the exact blade of grass and from a very similar pass that Dykes missed from v Fulham.
Sir Les on 16:21 - Jan 12 with 2549 viewsDWQPR

If Les had been at the club 15 years earlier and played instead of Don Givens (sorry Brian), then we would have walked the league in ‘76. Les for me is the greatest centre forward we ever had, great shot, great balance, great leap (only matched by the Iceman) and incredible speed.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Sir Les on 16:27 - Jan 12 with 2523 viewsNorthernr

Here's another tangent for this one, perhaps relevent to Dykes now (one can only hope).

Les came out of non-league and had several seasons (not months) of developing, couple of loans, one famous 'making of the man' season in Turkey, used and trusted a little bit by Don Howe, but really only in the second half of 91/92 under Gerry and after Wegerle left did he really become the main man up front, and of course then absolutely blitzed 92/93, 93/94, 94/95...

Do we think these days, at QPR and/or elsewhere, he'd have been afforded that time? Would we perhaps write him off and give up around the sort of 1989/90 mark now, when he'd been here for three years and not broken through?

I guess we gave Conor Washington plenty of time, but I already see people giving up on Dykes.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Sir Les on 16:32 - Jan 12 with 2491 viewsdaveB

Sir Les on 16:27 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Here's another tangent for this one, perhaps relevent to Dykes now (one can only hope).

Les came out of non-league and had several seasons (not months) of developing, couple of loans, one famous 'making of the man' season in Turkey, used and trusted a little bit by Don Howe, but really only in the second half of 91/92 under Gerry and after Wegerle left did he really become the main man up front, and of course then absolutely blitzed 92/93, 93/94, 94/95...

Do we think these days, at QPR and/or elsewhere, he'd have been afforded that time? Would we perhaps write him off and give up around the sort of 1989/90 mark now, when he'd been here for three years and not broken through?

I guess we gave Conor Washington plenty of time, but I already see people giving up on Dykes.

Les was written off multiple times, before he broke through under Don Howe, even after that he struggled at first under Francis with injury before it all seemed to click

I think he's been at the club 3 years before he became the Les Ferdinand we now talk about.

Dave Bardsley as well was average at best for the first 18 months and Clive Wilson took a season to settle. None of these players would get that time now. Look at the reaction to Niko and Kakay not being world beaters after a handful of games
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 16:34]
Sir Les on 16:35 - Jan 12 with 2472 viewsNorthernr

Sir Les on 16:32 - Jan 12 by daveB

Les was written off multiple times, before he broke through under Don Howe, even after that he struggled at first under Francis with injury before it all seemed to click

I think he's been at the club 3 years before he became the Les Ferdinand we now talk about.

Dave Bardsley as well was average at best for the first 18 months and Clive Wilson took a season to settle. None of these players would get that time now. Look at the reaction to Niko and Kakay not being world beaters after a handful of games

Washington does go against that though doesn't he? Plugged away for three seasons here as first choice with people saying maybe he needs a partner, maybe this system doesn't suit him, maybe he needs time to find his feet etc. Turns out he's just not very good, but I don't remember people turning on him, really at all.
Sir Les on 16:38 - Jan 12 with 2460 viewsCamberleyR

He absolutely wouldn't have been afforded that time just as Don Howe wouldn't have survived that horrendous run he suffered early in the 1990/91 season when pretty much the whole defence got injured that you mentioned in the preview. The social media mouth breathers would have hounded both out.

Login to get fewer ads

Sir Les on 16:44 - Jan 12 with 2425 viewsCamberleyR

Sir Les on 16:32 - Jan 12 by daveB

Bardsley and Wilson were originally bought though to play in midfield before Don Howe converted Bardsley to right back halfway through the 89/90 season and Gerry put Wilson at left back in his first season as manager. This is when they both found their true positions.

Sir Les on 16:44 - Jan 12 with 2424 viewsted_hendrix

When he came back with Newcastle he came over to the Paddocks and signed a couple of auto graphs for some nippers, it was a minute or so before KO and both teams were on the pitch, he got a huge reception from the crowd and I managed to say to him; "good to see you back Les" or somesuch waffle and I swear he had a tear in his eye, he was definitely a bit chocked up, he then spent the next 90 minutes beating us up

Gawd bloody blimey he had the ability to hang in air for as long as he wanted before heading the ball into the net.

I hope we turn our season around PDQ, I hate the negativity around the bloke atm and I've been a bit guilty of it too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sir Les on 16:47 - Jan 12 with 2385 viewsThe_Beast1976

I remember listening to the radio whilst walking to the ground with my cousins one Saturday afternoon in the early 90s and hearing on the radio that Les was starting. All of us said "for fcuk sake" or suchlike. Les scored the winner that day and went on to score in something like the next 7 games straight. The rest, as they say, is history
Sir Les on 16:57 - Jan 12 with 2338 viewsjohncharles

I saw at an open day in the early 90’s. He was sitting down signing autographs and as I got near he stood up. I was expecting tough looking giant but he turned out to be one of happiest smiling guys you could hope to meet and surprise surprise, he wasn’t quite as tall as me (6ft). He still managed to get above every defender in country at the time.

Strong and stable my arse.

Sir Les on 16:57 - Jan 12 with 2337 viewsdaveB

Sir Les on 16:35 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Washington does go against that though doesn't he? Plugged away for three seasons here as first choice with people saying maybe he needs a partner, maybe this system doesn't suit him, maybe he needs time to find his feet etc. Turns out he's just not very good, but I don't remember people turning on him, really at all.

you always get the odd one I think Washington came at a time when everyone wanted it to work but that patience has gone now.
Sir Les on 16:59 - Jan 12 with 2332 viewsNorthernr

Sir Les on 16:47 - Jan 12 by The_Beast1976

I remember listening to the radio whilst walking to the ground with my cousins one Saturday afternoon in the early 90s and hearing on the radio that Les was starting. All of us said "for fcuk sake" or suchlike. Les scored the winner that day and went on to score in something like the next 7 games straight. The rest, as they say, is history

Even when he was obviously brilliant, around 94/95ish, we had a midweek game called off last minute at West Ham after a biblical storm, literally as me and him were walking up to Upton Park from the pub, and it was rearranged very late in the season, which I think finished 0-0. Dad basically had to be dragged off these two QPR fans sat behind us who spent the whole night talking about how lazy Ferdinand was, didn't want to know etc. He'd scored about 25 goals in the season by that point.

Les that is, not my dad. Though he was a handy, nasty footballer.
Sir Les on 17:00 - Jan 12 with 2322 viewsDixie_CT

Nowadays we don’t give people the same amount of time to develop as we did then. Maybe it’s down to changes in society, mainly tech, where we are constantly gratified. I think this spills over and influences our expectations in every walk of life and little to no consideration is given to the nature of human nature. This can make us quite entitled and lacking patience. It’s not working right now? Bin it!

In regards to players, we have much more exposure to their performances. Miss a chance and it’s on social media in seconds and available to watch over and over again. If Les had missed that Dykes chance on Saturday, the people in the ground would have known about it and it would probably have ended there. Now it is seen by many more people and discussed on forums such as this where are all judge, jury and executioner.

24/7 coverage, club websites, social media, fans forums, podcasts, tunnel cam, go pros worn when having a sh it! Alright last one is an exaggeration but fu ck me, you have a keeper now who sticks a camera in his goal and an oppo striker running upto it when he scored. Content, content, content!!!

Too much content and opinion. Don’t think it’s proving to be healthy.

P.s. Les was a phenom, a once in a generation player. Was it the process, was it his personality or was it always going to happen? Who knows! Nature v Nurture again
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 17:01]
Sir Les on 17:07 - Jan 12 with 2287 viewsNorthernr

Sir Les on 16:57 - Jan 12 by johncharles

I saw at an open day in the early 90’s. He was sitting down signing autographs and as I got near he stood up. I was expecting tough looking giant but he turned out to be one of happiest smiling guys you could hope to meet and surprise surprise, he wasn’t quite as tall as me (6ft). He still managed to get above every defender in country at the time.

Have to say I've met him more recently in his current role and he still looks like he could do the business. Hasn't been a lot of let go in retirement there!
Sir Les on 17:36 - Jan 12 with 2206 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb. Unbelievable pace and dribbling ability, superb in the air, great long-range shot, excellent hold-up game. The weakest part of his game was finishing, I always thought. It's not that he missed many as his aim was good, but that his connection was often weak enough and he worked really hard to improve that to a very good standard as well. In the end there was no weakness in his game.

As for the lazy thing, I think his head went down a bit early on in his career but once his self-belief was established the man was a machine.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sir Les on 17:42 - Jan 12 with 2192 viewsPinnerPaul

Its the usual cliche, but its correct most of the time - he seems to have so much time.

That's the skill - the goal I'm banging on about, he lets the ball come down, sets himself and finishes.

Compare and contrast with poor old Lyndon who just took a wild slash at the ball.

Looks easy on the screen and from the stands but really really isn't.
Sir Les on 18:08 - Jan 12 with 2147 viewsdavman

Sir Les on 16:35 - Jan 12 by Northernr

He didn't miss many though whereas Bonne and Dykes have set themselves up by missing sitters.

Is that some kind of vague positive that they are at least getting into those positions?

Washington was a mystery to me - my lad pointed him out as a dud way, way before me; I was so hopeful after the Reading brace he got.

All I can think of is that as a fan base we knew we were on our way down that season he joined us, whereas this time around, with money to spend and last seasons promise, we were hopeful of so much more?

They may still come good, but the signs are not good (yet)...

On Les, there was something there even before Turkey. I seem to think he was an awesome finisher with not a lot else before he left, but have I got that wrong;did he score before he left on loan?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sir Les on 18:22 - Jan 12 with 2111 viewsCiderwithRsie

I recall hearing him described as "a Leroy clone" after an early appearance.
Sir Les on 18:48 - Jan 12 with 2035 viewsloftus77

Wonderful player.

I can't remember any other Rangers striker before or since who was so, so good in the air.

Sir Les just seemed to 'hang there' with so much time and 'punch' the ball into the net with his head- seemingly he could be on the end of any cross into the box from Sinton, Bardsley, Wilkins, Wilson, anyone... as some above have said, he seemed so much taller than he actually was.

I wish we could have held onto him (and Willo) for just one more year...
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 18:50]
Sir Les on 19:07 - Jan 12 with 1991 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sir Les on 17:00 - Jan 12 by Dixie_CT

Nowadays we don’t give people the same amount of time to develop as we did then. Maybe it’s down to changes in society, mainly tech, where we are constantly gratified. I think this spills over and influences our expectations in every walk of life and little to no consideration is given to the nature of human nature. This can make us quite entitled and lacking patience. It’s not working right now? Bin it!

In regards to players, we have much more exposure to their performances. Miss a chance and it’s on social media in seconds and available to watch over and over again. If Les had missed that Dykes chance on Saturday, the people in the ground would have known about it and it would probably have ended there. Now it is seen by many more people and discussed on forums such as this where are all judge, jury and executioner.

24/7 coverage, club websites, social media, fans forums, podcasts, tunnel cam, go pros worn when having a sh it! Alright last one is an exaggeration but fu ck me, you have a keeper now who sticks a camera in his goal and an oppo striker running upto it when he scored. Content, content, content!!!

Too much content and opinion. Don’t think it’s proving to be healthy.

P.s. Les was a phenom, a once in a generation player. Was it the process, was it his personality or was it always going to happen? Who knows! Nature v Nurture again
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 17:01]

Haven't really thought about it, but I think you're right.

In Les's day you had the Saturday morning paper, the chat over a pint before, the match, the pint or two after, Match of the Day, then the papers on Sunday morning. (I remember Dave Thomas's grading system for games, based on the number of match reports you bought or read in the paper shop, there having been many 7 paper matched and countless 1 paper matches but only ever one no-paper matchers, name the one that didn't happen against Oxford.)

But that was it until next week or occasionally Tuesday night.

Much healthier and actually more fun, "when Saturday comes" was something to look forward to.

Bah, humbug, Modern life is Rubbish, or something like that.
Sir Les on 19:11 - Jan 12 with 1987 viewsPeterHucker

Sir Les on 16:59 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Even when he was obviously brilliant, around 94/95ish, we had a midweek game called off last minute at West Ham after a biblical storm, literally as me and him were walking up to Upton Park from the pub, and it was rearranged very late in the season, which I think finished 0-0. Dad basically had to be dragged off these two QPR fans sat behind us who spent the whole night talking about how lazy Ferdinand was, didn't want to know etc. He'd scored about 25 goals in the season by that point.

Les that is, not my dad. Though he was a handy, nasty footballer.

Yep I remember being at matches and often hearing our fans slagging off Les for being lazy / sulking etc.

I remember being at Tottenham away last game of the season. Lots of rumours that he was going and everyone saying it was his last game for us.
People were saying Les wasn't trying / couldn't be bothered / his heart wasn't in it etc.

Absolutely bossed the Spurs defenders that day. Didn't score but we won (2 goals by Sinclair)
He stayed another season, and gave his all right through that one too.

I've been watching QPR since the early 80s, he's the greatest striker we've had in that time by a million miles.
Sir Les on 19:14 - Jan 12 with 1983 viewssilverbirch

Our best ever player, I think. Sorry Stan and Gerry
Sir Les on 19:25 - Jan 12 with 1977 viewsThe_Beast1976

Sir Les on 19:07 - Jan 12 by CiderwithRsie

Haven't really thought about it, but I think you're right.

In Les's day you had the Saturday morning paper, the chat over a pint before, the match, the pint or two after, Match of the Day, then the papers on Sunday morning. (I remember Dave Thomas's grading system for games, based on the number of match reports you bought or read in the paper shop, there having been many 7 paper matched and countless 1 paper matches but only ever one no-paper matchers, name the one that didn't happen against Oxford.)

But that was it until next week or occasionally Tuesday night.

Much healthier and actually more fun, "when Saturday comes" was something to look forward to.

Bah, humbug, Modern life is Rubbish, or something like that.

All very true. Saturday was the pinnacle of every week and something you looked forward to immensely, having usually had a break from professional football all through the week (save for a read of one of the daily papers and the odd midweek game).

As for the excitement when you rocked up at LR and found a new edition of AKUTRs on sale after weeks of false promises that the new edition would be out the following week......

Great times.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 19:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024