Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bands that won you over 20:06 - Mar 27 with 2651 viewsqpr_1968

what bands/artists that you were never into but you went to see them by off chance....
mate dragged you to a concert, cheap/free tickets, pub or local venue, and you really got into them.

early days, status quo....about 1976, cardiff castle, just because we were staying in port talbot at my mates cousins house.

few years later, kasabian, 2007.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Bands that won you over on 20:10 - Mar 27 with 2353 viewsEsox_Lucius

Beach Boys; they were on the bill with Melanie & Joe Cocker and they really rocked the stage rather than the surf sound I was expecting. Also Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, they were far, far more than Sylvia's Mother.

The grass is always greener.

Bands that won you over on 20:13 - Mar 27 with 2338 viewsNed_Kennedys

Dropkick Murphys at Brixton Academy as purchased by my brother. Very low expectations but had a great night although I was very very drunk.
Bands that won you over on 23:17 - Mar 27 with 2202 viewsqpr_1968

Bands that won you over on 20:10 - Mar 27 by Esox_Lucius

Beach Boys; they were on the bill with Melanie & Joe Cocker and they really rocked the stage rather than the surf sound I was expecting. Also Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, they were far, far more than Sylvia's Mother.

would love to have seen dr hook.

Bands that won you over on 02:08 - Mar 28 with 2164 viewsrsocks

Horslips supporting Thin Lizzy in1978
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 2:10]
Bands that won you over on 08:07 - Mar 28 with 2108 viewsGuppy

As a Motorhead and their ilk fan I found myself on holiday in the Isle of Man and went with my mate and a couple of girls to watch Hot Chocolate (basically to take the pee) and came out in a bit of disbelief thinking what a great set it was
Bands that won you over on 08:15 - Mar 28 with 2100 viewsSydneyRs

Shakespears Sister. Girlfriend at the time got the tickets and I really wasn't looking forward to it. They turned out to be very good and I really enjoyed it.
Bands that won you over on 09:15 - Mar 28 with 2057 viewsstevec

Took the then girlfriend, now wife, to see Sister Sledge at Baileys Watford, they were surprisingly good.

Went to see Oasis at Wembley who I thought would be good but we’re shit, fortunately the support band, Happy Monday’s, were surprisingly excellent. Wished they’d been the main act.
Bands that won you over on 10:12 - Mar 28 with 2006 viewsMoonshineSteve

Mark Knopfler. The old man had a couple of tickets and was really excited so I said okay. It isn't that I didn't think he'd be good, but he was just so much better than I expected. Had a really good night.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Login to get fewer ads

Bands that won you over on 10:47 - Mar 28 with 1979 viewsEsox_Lucius

Bands that won you over on 23:17 - Mar 27 by qpr_1968

I went to see them several times after that Damascene moment and at one gig at Wembley, during the set break where Ray Sawyer would sit on a stool with an acoustic guitar and take song requests from the audience, a guy shouted out "Hungry Heart" and Ray said something like great song, but I don't know the lyrics. The guy guy shouts back "I do". Ray invites the guy onstage after ascertaining that he can at least sing in tune (he could) and the guy proceeded to blow everyone away with a full on front man style performance. He was seriously good.

The grass is always greener.

Bands that won you over on 11:28 - Mar 28 with 1949 viewsqprphil

Bands that won you over on 23:17 - Mar 27 by qpr_1968

My wife and I were on a coach holiday in Italy many years ago, we got talking to this couple and as it turned out he was the bass player from the band. He had many stories he told us about. His partner at the time was something to do with dancing, but I can't remember what type. They lived in Solihull at the time, we did however lose touch. One other claim to fame was my girlfriend was a girl called Linda Moon, the sister of Keith Moon of The Who, so I saw a lot of The Who at the time. Lynn lives in Aussie now and has four children.
Bands that won you over on 11:53 - Mar 28 with 1921 viewsJuzzie

Chris de Burgh 1988 Wembley Area.

Got feee tickets through work and took tne girl I was seeing who was a bit of a fan. Wasn’t the cringe-fest I was expecting.
Bands that won you over on 12:13 - Mar 28 with 1889 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bands that won you over on 09:15 - Mar 28 by stevec

Took the then girlfriend, now wife, to see Sister Sledge at Baileys Watford, they were surprisingly good.

Went to see Oasis at Wembley who I thought would be good but we’re shit, fortunately the support band, Happy Monday’s, were surprisingly excellent. Wished they’d been the main act.

Ironically I saw Oasis in a smaller venue in Atlanta in 2005, and they were tip-top when I thought they might be, you know, tossers.

Same year I also saw U2 In a basketball stadium in Atlanta, and blagged tickets close to the stage. They were brilliant and having seen them at Wembley in the 90s, I wonder if the issue is to do with concerts in big cavernous football stadiums?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bands that won you over on 12:46 - Mar 28 with 1848 viewsqpr_1968

Bands that won you over on 11:28 - Mar 28 by qprphil

My wife and I were on a coach holiday in Italy many years ago, we got talking to this couple and as it turned out he was the bass player from the band. He had many stories he told us about. His partner at the time was something to do with dancing, but I can't remember what type. They lived in Solihull at the time, we did however lose touch. One other claim to fame was my girlfriend was a girl called Linda Moon, the sister of Keith Moon of The Who, so I saw a lot of The Who at the time. Lynn lives in Aussie now and has four children.

my mate was/is married to keiths other sister leslie.

small world.

Bands that won you over on 14:29 - Mar 28 with 1806 viewsSK_hoops

Arcade fire and Bjork - wasn't bothered about either before I saw them at Glastonbury, but both put on a great performance. Chemical brothers completely stole the show that weekend though.
Bands that won you over on 15:13 - Mar 28 with 1781 viewsdanehoop

All About Eve Saw them I think in Kentish Town. Went along with a couple of slightly goth/indie girls from work. Thought the band was OK before hand, but wasn't that into them. Came away stunned by just how beautiful Julianne Regan's voice was and just what an amazing atmosphere they had at the gig. Totally mesmerizing performance.

A-Ha. Again went along with work crowd and my then girlfriend. I went along for a laugh, though did have a soft spot for the band, but probably would never have gone to a concert in a million years. Simply blown away by just how good they were live, Morton Harket had a simply stunning voice. Last gig I saw was A-Ha at the Royal Albert Hall in 2019, and they were still simply amazing. Have tickets for them again next year as I suspect that will be getting towards the last time they tour for a while, just belting good pop music, original, well presented and with one of best vocalists I have ever heard.

Never knowingly understood

Bands that won you over on 22:00 - Mar 29 with 1542 viewsderbyhoop

Mumford & Sons

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Bands that won you over on 22:43 - Mar 29 with 1510 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

XTC

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bands that won you over on 11:32 - Mar 31 with 1319 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Avenged Sevenfold

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bands that won you over on 12:56 - Mar 31 with 1272 viewsrrrspricey

A mate dragged me to see the Stones at Wembley in the early 80s was never a fan but really enjoyed them and Jagger's strutting performance was great.

Wind on 35 odd years and my daughter had been to see Queen with Adam Lambert which i'd refused point blank...no Freddie, it's not queen was my attitude. I eventually capitulated a couple of years later when they toured again and can remember walking out of Wembley Arena feeling really piʂʂed off at how much i'd enjoyed it, so much so that i saw them again at the O2...man can that boy sing
Bands that won you over on 14:08 - Mar 31 with 1218 viewsslmrstid

My wife has always been a huge Razorlight fan, and whilst in many ways they epitomise the indie bands of the mid-noughties who burst onto the scene, had a couple of albums, then seemed to disappear (not helped by the antics of Johnny Borrell I daresay...), they did reform again about 18 months ago - just Johnny and the guitarist of the original line up I think - and toured.

I took her to see them play the O2 Academy in Leicester at the University - pretty small venue - 2,000 max I think - but they were absolutely fantastic. Blew me away. Really, really good live set.

I was never a huge fan of Razorlight, always saw them as being alright, but that night they were brilliant and I do enjoy them more now.
Bands that won you over on 14:33 - Mar 31 with 1211 viewsrrrspricey

I also took my Mrs to see The Script in Amsterdam which i also found surprisingly enjoyable. They we backed by Tiny Tempah who was also pretty good
Bands that won you over on 16:08 - Mar 31 with 1176 viewsqpr_1968

Bands that won you over on 14:08 - Mar 31 by slmrstid

My wife has always been a huge Razorlight fan, and whilst in many ways they epitomise the indie bands of the mid-noughties who burst onto the scene, had a couple of albums, then seemed to disappear (not helped by the antics of Johnny Borrell I daresay...), they did reform again about 18 months ago - just Johnny and the guitarist of the original line up I think - and toured.

I took her to see them play the O2 Academy in Leicester at the University - pretty small venue - 2,000 max I think - but they were absolutely fantastic. Blew me away. Really, really good live set.

I was never a huge fan of Razorlight, always saw them as being alright, but that night they were brilliant and I do enjoy them more now.

did'nt mind razorlight, bought their albums, but as you say, an alright band.

their concert at the o2academy in leicester that you went to, was it their old stuff, or was there new material?

Bands that won you over on 16:09 - Mar 31 with 1175 viewsQPRSteve

Went to see XTC and they were absolute shite. The support band, Gentle Giant, however were superb.
Bands that won you over on 21:59 - Mar 31 with 1110 viewsslmrstid

Bands that won you over on 16:08 - Mar 31 by qpr_1968

did'nt mind razorlight, bought their albums, but as you say, an alright band.

their concert at the o2academy in leicester that you went to, was it their old stuff, or was there new material?

The whole set was stuff from their first two albums, then I think there was one song which was a more recent creation.
Bands that won you over on 22:17 - Mar 31 with 1085 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bands that won you over on 16:09 - Mar 31 by QPRSteve

Went to see XTC and they were absolute shite. The support band, Gentle Giant, however were superb.

How many Pianos!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024