Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Betting sponsor 09:51 - Oct 8 with 6683 viewssparkey

Quite disappointed with this. Thought we made progress with not having a betting sponsor. Watched Paul Merson speak about how betting addiction ruined his life and really don't think this move is clever especially with the way our club is progressing.
Betting sponsor on 10:07 - Oct 8 with 3468 viewsJuzzie

I presume this is not on shirts as we already have one?

The only good thing about a main betting sponsor is that they can't be on kids or youth shirts and they look so much better without.
Betting sponsor on 10:17 - Oct 8 with 3423 viewsterryb

I assume that this will the betting company in the ground for those that wish to have a flutter.

I don't think they will be named on our kit.
Betting sponsor on 10:29 - Oct 8 with 3385 viewsDWQPR

Unfortunately you can’t get away from this scourge. Does make me despair when the government of the day banned cigarette advertising in sport and this was soon replaced by betting advertising. Something that causes much more harm than smoking has a lot more collateral damage as well.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Betting sponsor on 10:41 - Oct 8 with 3350 viewsrobith

Betting sponsor on 10:29 - Oct 8 by DWQPR

Unfortunately you can’t get away from this scourge. Does make me despair when the government of the day banned cigarette advertising in sport and this was soon replaced by betting advertising. Something that causes much more harm than smoking has a lot more collateral damage as well.

erm, almost 80,000 people a year die from smoking so i'm entirely sure that's valid
Betting sponsor on 10:44 - Oct 8 with 3337 viewsDavieQPR

So do we ban alcohol from the ground as that has ruined more lives? Do we ban all the Burger vans as obesity has cost lives?
Betting sponsor on 10:48 - Oct 8 with 3310 viewsWhip_It

Nobody's talking about banning anything. But you'll notice that the club don't have a "Lager Partner" or a "Burger Ambassador". The trash that promote betting should not be given a helping hand by the club.
Betting sponsor on 11:33 - Oct 8 with 3234 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Disappointing.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 9:03]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Betting sponsor on 11:36 - Oct 8 with 3223 viewsdaveB

Betting sponsor on 10:48 - Oct 8 by Whip_It

Nobody's talking about banning anything. But you'll notice that the club don't have a "Lager Partner" or a "Burger Ambassador". The trash that promote betting should not be given a helping hand by the club.

They do have a beer partner in Carlsberg
Login to get fewer ads

Betting sponsor on 11:48 - Oct 8 with 3187 viewsQPRSteve

Betting sponsor on 11:33 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Disappointing.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 9:03]

Seconded
Betting sponsor on 11:51 - Oct 8 with 3176 viewsdaveB

The partnership with gamestop is quite a nice counter balance though
Betting sponsor on 11:53 - Oct 8 with 3175 viewsdmm

Betting sponsor on 11:36 - Oct 8 by daveB

That's questionable surely? Is Carlsburg beer or just flavoured fizzy water with a bit of ethanol?
Betting sponsor on 12:08 - Oct 8 with 3130 viewsWhip_It

I stand corrected, but of course the Carlsberg link is shameful for other reasons.

Particularly given our involvement with the Sporting Index fiasco, you'd have thought the club would steer well clear.
Betting sponsor on 12:12 - Oct 8 with 3119 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Betting sponsor on 10:17 - Oct 8 by terryb

I assume that this will the betting company in the ground for those that wish to have a flutter.

I don't think they will be named on our kit.

I think it’s Ladbrokes or someone with the stalls in the ground. I’m not sure what this about but judging by our track record on this sort of thing, I fear for Tebwin!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Betting sponsor on 12:24 - Oct 8 with 3065 viewsQPR_Jim

Betting sponsor on 12:12 - Oct 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think it’s Ladbrokes or someone with the stalls in the ground. I’m not sure what this about but judging by our track record on this sort of thing, I fear for Tebwin!

I think it's part of the clubs strategy, when they say that QPR are committed to promoting safer gambling enjoyment, what they really mean is that we're going to get sponsorship deals with betting companies and bring them down from the inside.
Betting sponsor on 12:46 - Oct 8 with 3021 viewsLythamR

Tebwin!. I might feel more positive towards it if they disclosed how much the deal is worth to the club but disappointed rather than "Thrilled"
Betting sponsor on 12:48 - Oct 8 with 3014 viewsjoe90

Unpopular view - I don't have a problem with a betting sponsor. If the sponsor can afford to pay to advertise go for it. I don't see it as a moral issue as the majority of those who gamble do so responsibly and not all those who don't are addicted, they're simply irresponsible people. The club shouldn't lose revenue because of them or a perceived moral issue. IMO it's just something people are jumping on the bandwagon about. I have a friend who's an alcoholic, I don't think drink sponsors should be banned.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 13:51]
Betting sponsor on 13:43 - Oct 8 with 2903 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 10:41 - Oct 8 by robith

erm, almost 80,000 people a year die from smoking so i'm entirely sure that's valid

It certainly isn't!

Even on the Paul Merson programme promotional material, it said 1 person per week dies from a gambling related illness - that's 52 per year - somewhat less!
Betting sponsor on 13:45 - Oct 8 with 2898 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 10:48 - Oct 8 by Whip_It

Why are all betting companies 'trash'?

As Lee Hoos says its a perfectly legal pastime/hobby enjoyed by many including himself.

It also employs hundreds of thousands if you include horseracing which wouldn't exist in its worldwide form without it.
Betting sponsor on 13:46 - Oct 8 with 2891 viewsPinnerPaul

and sell burgers, which isn't compulsory.
Betting sponsor on 13:49 - Oct 8 with 2880 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 12:08 - Oct 8 by Whip_It

I stand corrected, but of course the Carlsberg link is shameful for other reasons.

Particularly given our involvement with the Sporting Index fiasco, you'd have thought the club would steer well clear.

I think if they discounted associating with any company that any fan thought was 'wrong', they wouldn't have any sponsors.

Concrete is apparently very bad for the environment, or at least the production of it is - as is most house/road construction - ban Ashville on that basis?
Betting sponsor on 13:50 - Oct 8 with 2873 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 12:46 - Oct 8 by LythamR

Tebwin!. I might feel more positive towards it if they disclosed how much the deal is worth to the club but disappointed rather than "Thrilled"

Double standards here surely - how many other commercial deals do they give us chapter and verse on?
Betting sponsor on 13:51 - Oct 8 with 2870 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 12:48 - Oct 8 by joe90

Unpopular view - I don't have a problem with a betting sponsor. If the sponsor can afford to pay to advertise go for it. I don't see it as a moral issue as the majority of those who gamble do so responsibly and not all those who don't are addicted, they're simply irresponsible people. The club shouldn't lose revenue because of them or a perceived moral issue. IMO it's just something people are jumping on the bandwagon about. I have a friend who's an alcoholic, I don't think drink sponsors should be banned.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 13:51]

Well said Joe!
Betting sponsor on 14:15 - Oct 8 with 2800 viewsLythamR

Betting sponsor on 13:50 - Oct 8 by PinnerPaul

Double standards here surely - how many other commercial deals do they give us chapter and verse on?

Double standards?, possibly, looking for something to mitigate my disappointment

I seem to remember a video from a month or so ago talking of the virtues of having a local sponsor that that wasnt a gambling company. a month later we are announcing a new official gambling sponsor.
Betting sponsor on 14:17 - Oct 8 with 2793 viewsToast_R

I guess as Delboy once said, "A clean conscience is nice but business is business'.

Besides, people say our Guinness shirt was their favourite QPR shirt of all time...
Betting sponsor on 14:46 - Oct 8 with 2733 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 14:15 - Oct 8 by LythamR

Double standards?, possibly, looking for something to mitigate my disappointment

I seem to remember a video from a month or so ago talking of the virtues of having a local sponsor that that wasnt a gambling company. a month later we are announcing a new official gambling sponsor.

and I said at the time, that was completely at odds with what Lee Hoos said - he doesn't have a problem with being sponsored by a gambling company.

I think it was Mr Ashville that came up with that hope that we would stick with local.

A forlorn hope surely, as if we make the PL, we're going to go with the biggest offer, and that is likely to come form a national/international company - gambling or not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024