Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our homesickness 13:30 - Sep 24 with 2168 viewsstainrods_elbow

What needs to change?

The set-up/formation?
Game plan?
Personnel (yeah, I know)?

None of the above?

Your thoughts are sought, ladies and gents.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Our homesickness on 13:39 - Sep 24 with 2140 viewsHAYESBOY

Think its just our decision making in the final third and being more clinical.

Not sure what you would change. Go to 4-4-2? Means Chair as a left midfielder?

Difficult.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Our homesickness on 13:54 - Sep 24 with 2105 viewsHoopsie

Luck?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Our homesickness on 13:58 - Sep 24 with 2094 viewsstainrods_elbow

Right now, I'd be going with this starting XI - something like 3/1/4/1/1.

Begovic
Cook Clarke-Salter Paal
Field
Kakay Dozzell Colback Smyth
Chair
Dykes

Key Subs
Armstrong
Willock
Dunne
Dixon-Bonner
Duke--McKenna
Larkeche
RIchards

Chair is a no. 10 in the hole, end of.

The defence, while much improved, still needs a shield, partly so Kakay and Smyth can push on, and Field's name is so all over that role his name even rhymes.

Armstrong, Richards and Willock all need work to varying degrees, and I think how the coaching team does with that talented but raw/frustrating/worrying trio is likely to shape significantly how our season pans out, as will how many goals the likes of Chair and Smyth can chip in with.

Either way, we still need to sign a feckin' striker, I fear, or it's gonna be an uphill struggle.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 13:59]

Our homesickness on 14:40 - Sep 24 with 2018 viewsSAPilgrim

I know it’s pointless to speculate, but I was thinking on the fact that we were in for Stansfield watching the Brum game. I’m sure it was our lack of resources/cash that nulled that rather than anything else but it does seem a shame, as you say we need goals. Think one statement win with a clean sheet would do a lot of good to breaking the mental attitude, the sort where us fans can think ‘what were we ever worried about’. A big 3-0,4-0 game where we either don’t need to get out of second gear or wrest it from a good opponent convincingly.
Our homesickness on 15:34 - Sep 24 with 1972 viewsstainrods_elbow

Our homesickness on 14:40 - Sep 24 by SAPilgrim

I know it’s pointless to speculate, but I was thinking on the fact that we were in for Stansfield watching the Brum game. I’m sure it was our lack of resources/cash that nulled that rather than anything else but it does seem a shame, as you say we need goals. Think one statement win with a clean sheet would do a lot of good to breaking the mental attitude, the sort where us fans can think ‘what were we ever worried about’. A big 3-0,4-0 game where we either don’t need to get out of second gear or wrest it from a good opponent convincingly.

It would be great, but right now I just can't see that happening.

Our homesickness on 15:45 - Sep 24 with 1949 viewsFDC

As Clive touched on in his preview (I think), home and away records are such a strange thing. There's no cast iron law that says team should be more attacking at home and more defensive away , and no real sense in them doing so. Nevertheless teams do set up more defensively when they are away - for whatever reason - and we struggle with that because we don't have a system or method for taking the game to the opposition. So I can't see it changing any time soon unfortunately
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 15:48]
Our homesickness on 15:49 - Sep 24 with 1933 viewscharmr

Chair will never move up to the next level untill he decides when and where to use the ball more productively.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 15:53]
Our homesickness on 16:05 - Sep 24 with 1898 viewsstainrods_elbow

Our homesickness on 15:49 - Sep 24 by charmr

Chair will never move up to the next level untill he decides when and where to use the ball more productively.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 15:53]

I think it's more the other way round: even if he can sometimes be too selfish and frustrating, and chooses the wrong option, we don't have enough players at the level to operate at Chair's skill set. (Willock was the one exception, but he looks, as someone pointed out, increasingly like a busted flush, sadly.)

Login to get fewer ads

Our homesickness on 16:15 - Sep 24 with 1864 viewsNorthantsHoop

Noticed regularly we are such slow starters and far too cagey at home, away teams seem to settle quickly and are on the front foot. Lack of intensity from the off and I think this is now something the oppo has sussed about us.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 16:16]
Our homesickness on 16:19 - Sep 24 with 1842 viewsdaveB

need to start games better but I don't think we're far away. Played well against Ipswich, could have won against Swansea if we took our chances.

Our form is mad though, worst ever home run is 10 without a win in 68/69. We've gone 9 without a win 4 times in our history, two of those have been this year
Our homesickness on 16:31 - Sep 24 with 1819 viewsLogman

Our homesickness on 16:15 - Sep 24 by NorthantsHoop

Noticed regularly we are such slow starters and far too cagey at home, away teams seem to settle quickly and are on the front foot. Lack of intensity from the off and I think this is now something the oppo has sussed about us.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 16:16]

I think we have been similar at home for a few seasons now. Opposition managers set up with well organised backlines (5 or 6 ) across the penalty area when we attack, and then bang, they hit us with quick 4 man attacks when the game transitions. By and large when this happens we don't have 4 strung across the midfield in a line and one or other of the full backs is invariably the wrong side or too far from his man. I think GA is working on it but we need to be more rigid during the opening stages of homes games.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 21:21]
Our homesickness on 16:45 - Sep 24 with 1801 viewsstowmarketrange

Our best attacking seems to be done in the 1st half of home games,so maybe we should play towards the loft end during the opening 45 mins.
Our homesickness on 18:08 - Sep 24 with 1712 viewsQPROslo

None of them. We need to improve our tecknology with our own cameras behind the goals relaying quality film of goals scored with hands instantly to 4th Officials.

We'd have probably won that last game without that handball goal being allowed. I think GA and Dobson are on the right track at the moment, gradual improvements look like they are being made. If we can continue that with more continued pressure on defences at home games I think we'll see a win or three soon. If we get that Tek right.
Our homesickness on 18:29 - Sep 24 with 1680 viewsManinBlack

I think we need to remember that there were quite a few home games we won in Warburton's time where the opposition had more possession and chances. Somehow we ground out wins and threw in a few spectacular long range goals. Since Warbs left this has all stopped. Now the visitors are still creating plenty but are taking their chances. There have been a number of games we have conceded three goals in this year which didn’t happen in Warbs time.

The big problem is we only seem to be able to score once at home so if the oppo score as well then it is hard to win. We just don't get two goals ahead at home these days, not helped by only being able to score down the away end. We are too slow attacking and don't create enough mainly through a lack of quality in the final third.

The longer the team don't win the greater the pressure to the point they would rather play away. A couple of wins at home on the bounce would help but I don't know how we can turn it round.
Our homesickness on 21:27 - Sep 24 with 1556 viewsHammersmithR

We play essentially as a counter attacking side trying to use the pace of Smyth and Armstrong which works away from home. Home team need to be on the front foot so space opens up at the back. Our possession stats show that in all our games. But this formation does not work at home as we need to need be on the front foot. Clearly the wing backs doesn’t work at home as we have such little width and we become so congested in the middle. I’d be inclined to go 4 at the back and get another attacking player further up the pitch. When we were killing teams at home a few months ago we were playing 4-2-3-1. It could work into a 4-5-1 formation without the ball. This would work with the players we have.
Our homesickness on 22:09 - Sep 24 with 1515 viewsHastings_Hoops

Time with this new ‘can do’ attitude.

Ipswich - going places.
Sunderland - Colback brain fart
Swansea - Did well on Saturday.
Our homesickness on 11:28 - Sep 25 with 1345 viewsthemodfather

for me get someone who can score at least 15 goals , that helps. dykes is not an out and out goal scorer, his stats back that up. sinclair is a young powerful player still learning.
so goals win games , who scores them? solve that, we improve, get steady midtable and pretty much no bottom 3 worries.
all about goals.
Our homesickness on 12:45 - Sep 25 with 1288 viewsFDC

Our homesickness on 11:28 - Sep 25 by themodfather

for me get someone who can score at least 15 goals , that helps. dykes is not an out and out goal scorer, his stats back that up. sinclair is a young powerful player still learning.
so goals win games , who scores them? solve that, we improve, get steady midtable and pretty much no bottom 3 worries.
all about goals.

I mean, yeah but -- not that easy to get a 15 goal striker in with less than zero funds.

At the start of the season I think the plan was to structure the team around Dykes, playing to his strengths, probably with two out and wingers, providing the sort of service he gets for Scotland. He's never really had that here, and would potentially have scored more goals if he had. We played with wingers in pre season, and the fact we offered a new contract whilst trying to sell everyone else suggests Ainsworth identified him as central to his plans.

That all went out the window pretty quickly, and now having Sinclair as an out ball in this much deeper set up seems central to how we will play, asking Dykes to slot into midfield when out of possession. Credit to Dykes for adapting to it, but it doesn't lend it self to him scoring lots of goals from crosses this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024