Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) 13:58 - Feb 21 with 47534 viewsSuddenLad

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/february/ticket-news-spursreplayfacr5_28

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:05 - Feb 25 with 2717 viewsTVOS1907

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 17:34 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

Based on 4,500 sold at the end of general sale it sounds like we've only sold 1,250 - 1,500 tickets today, assuming 3,000 - 3,250 went to ST holders.

We had around 5,000 home fans and have many exiles interested in the first game so it feels a bit light for what is our biggest competitive away game ever.

Doesn't appear that we will sell out given the need to shift 3,200 tickets more tomorrow and Tuesday AM.

It doesn't feel light at all.

It might be our biggest competitive game ever and it might be such a unique occasion, but there will still be a proportion of the fanbase who can't get there, no matter what.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:12 - Feb 25 with 2682 viewsSandyman

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 17:48 - Feb 25 by Clivert

We were never going sell 7500 but anywhere close to 5000 is a fantastic effort on a Wednesday night.

School night, potentially 2 days off work and TV coverage available, yet we double our home attendance for a Wednesday night fixture in London.

#magicofthecup #etcetc #wherearetheyforleaguegames
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:29 - Feb 25 with 2606 viewsRAFCBLUE

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:05 - Feb 25 by TVOS1907

It doesn't feel light at all.

It might be our biggest competitive game ever and it might be such a unique occasion, but there will still be a proportion of the fanbase who can't get there, no matter what.

It does to me TVOS.

17,000+ at Wembley for the playoff game in 2008.

Newport County sell out the same allocation on a Wednesday night for a 4th round replay.

Both games on TV.

5,000 would represent less than a third of our Wembley following for a bigger game at the same venue. 12,000+ drop being attributed to it being Wednesday night and not a Bank Holiday Monday.

But taking 2,700 less than Newport did 4 weeks ago?

Are the public of Rochdale really that not bothered about their team?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:30 - Feb 25 with 2600 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:29 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

It does to me TVOS.

Newport County sell out the same allocation on a Wednesday night for a 4th round replay.

Both games on TV.

5,000 would represent less than a third of our Wembley following for a bigger game at the same venue. 12,000+ drop being attributed to it being Wednesday night and not a Bank Holiday Monday.

Think our home gates answer that question

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:40 - Feb 25 with 2566 viewsisitme

It does to me TVOS.

Both games on TV.

I think you have missed/ignored the point that TVOS is making.

Not everyone who would want to go can go. Many people will not be able to get time off work, especially at such short notice. I suspect a lot more people find themselves in this situation than you would think, even people who would be classed as hardcore supporters.

A weekend or a bank holiday fixture would have been more accessible for most people and therefore we would have sold more tickets.
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:44 - Feb 25 with 2538 viewsnordenblue

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:40 - Feb 25 by isitme

Not everyone who would want to go can go. Many people will not be able to get time off work, especially at such short notice. I suspect a lot more people find themselves in this situation than you would think, even people who would be classed as hardcore supporters.

A weekend or a bank holiday fixture would have been more accessible for most people and therefore we would have sold more tickets.

It may have also helped to shift more tickets being available to sell to fans on possibly the most accessible day of the week,instead of being SHUT
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:46 - Feb 25 with 2526 viewsClivert

It does to me TVOS.

Both games on TV.

*That Playoff Final was on a Bank Holiday Monday.

*That Playoff Final was a only a year after New Wembley had opened.

*That Playoff Final was the club’s first ever visit to Wembley.

*That Playoff Final had the potential to win our first promotion in 39 years.

Yes, Wednesday is one of the biggest games in the club’s history but the circumstances around it are completely different to of those in 2008. Lets just enjoy the occasion and see where it the night takes us.
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:51 - Feb 25 with 2500 viewsRAFCBLUE

I can see that point the point TVOS makes.

I just don't think can fully explain the drop off other than the ”it's not convenient” to go which will of course be true for some.

We've lost 12,000 from Wembley game in 2008 to Wembley game in 2018 if that's the case. Where are they all?

And take Newport - similar attendances to us this season - away end at Wembley sold out. On a Wednesday, with short notice, with the game on TV.

Are we really smaller than Newport?

It would have been nice to see the town of Rochdale (circa 80,000) back its team a bit better here. That's all I'm saying.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Login to get fewer ads

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:52 - Feb 25 with 2499 viewsTVOS1907

It does to me TVOS.

Both games on TV.

You've not really addressed my point.

I'm sure everyone would like to go, but not everyone can.

If we had been playing at Old Trafford, there may well have been fans living in, say, London who couldn't make it.

What Newport did or didn't do is irrelevant.

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:54 - Feb 25 with 2490 viewsrobtheb

ST holder here, unable to go due to work...gutted.

Would love to have gone, suppose I will have to wait until next seasons playoff final...League 1 or 2!!!!

Down the ale, up the Dale.

Good luck, have a great day all those going.
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:59 - Feb 25 with 2468 viewsisitme

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:51 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

I can see that point the point TVOS makes.

I just don't think can fully explain the drop off other than the ”it's not convenient” to go which will of course be true for some.

We've lost 12,000 from Wembley game in 2008 to Wembley game in 2018 if that's the case. Where are they all?

And take Newport - similar attendances to us this season - away end at Wembley sold out. On a Wednesday, with short notice, with the game on TV.

Are we really smaller than Newport?

It would have been nice to see the town of Rochdale (circa 80,000) back its team a bit better here. That's all I'm saying.

It is not about not being convenient. For many people they cannot go. I want to go but I cannot get the time off work. The fact that it would be a faff to get to is irrelevant. I cannot go no matter how much I would like to.

I quick look on Google maps indicates that Newport is at least an hour if not more closer to Wembley which again makes it a bit easier work wise to get to. Half a day off or a few hours rather than a full day off?

Out of interest was it easy for you to book the time off work to attend on Wednesday?
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:07 - Feb 25 with 2431 viewsRAFCBLUE

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 20:52 - Feb 25 by TVOS1907

You've not really addressed my point.

I'm sure everyone would like to go, but not everyone can.

If we had been playing at Old Trafford, there may well have been fans living in, say, London who couldn't make it.

What Newport did or didn't do is irrelevant.

I agree with the point you make TVOS, just not the depth of its effect.

There will be some who want to go but can't due to causes (work, financial, family, distance). Tough in the end but one of those things.

There will be some who *might* have gone but won't - and that's the target audience for my question. What's stopping them pushing the boat out?

There are many in the 5,000 who ARE pushing the boat out and risking the budget, the wrath of their boss or mr/missus on a late night to follow their team. Credit to them.

Where are the missing fans? In my numbers 12,000 from Wembley in 2008 but whichever way you cut it a sizeable number.

The ticket price at £10 is much better than Wembley 2008 so it must be these other factors.

What Newport did in selling ALL their tickets is wholly relevant In what are identical circumstances other than the round of the competition.

I think my frustration is that only at Rochdale could we not sell out our full away end for such a big game.

There are most rival clubs in this area that can and would sell 7,500 tickets at £10 a pop to see a 5th round replay at Wembley.

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:12 - Feb 25 with 2398 viewsClivert

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:07 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

There will be some who want to go but can't due to causes (work, financial, family, distance). Tough in the end but one of those things.

There will be some who *might* have gone but won't - and that's the target audience for my question. What's stopping them pushing the boat out?

There are many in the 5,000 who ARE pushing the boat out and risking the budget, the wrath of their boss or mr/missus on a late night to follow their team. Credit to them.

Where are the missing fans? In my numbers 12,000 from Wembley in 2008 but whichever way you cut it a sizeable number.

The ticket price at £10 is much better than Wembley 2008 so it must be these other factors.

What Newport did in selling ALL their tickets is wholly relevant In what are identical circumstances other than the round of the competition.

I think my frustration is that only at Rochdale could we not sell out our full away end for such a big game.

There are most rival clubs in this area that can and would sell 7,500 tickets at £10 a pop to see a 5th round replay at Wembley.

Maybe bury and Oldham probably would as they haven’t played at New Wembley yet. Wigan wouldn’t, Bolton wouldn’t, Man City wouldn’t and Accy certainly wouldn’t.
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:16 - Feb 25 with 2384 viewsTVOS1907

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:07 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

2008 is ten years ago. Everyone who went is now ten years older or dead!

Their circumstances have changed, costs of transport have increased, work expectations are perhaps different, their commitments are different and the game is on a Wednesday night in February with ten days notice, not Spring Bank Holiday Monday.

If we take 5,000 fans, which seems likely, that's a damned fine figure and by no stretch of the imagination is it 'light'.

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:18 - Feb 25 with 2375 views442Dale

I can recall discussions the year after Wembley when we played Gillingham in the play-off semis. At the time if we’d had taken 6-7000 it would have been a really good figure.

The percentage of people who went to Wembley and have never been back to Dale since is bigger than we may realise. Can think of four people off the top of my head straight away. They will never go back unless everything falls perfectly to suit them, it was a one-off in their mind. A Wednesday night in February is the knockout factor, one which immediately removes any chance of those people going again and one which also affects regular fans. Again, there are a few who go to every home game who I know that can’t make it.

Add the two groups together and we are left with a very understandable figure of around 5000. And it could be a few more in the end.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 21:19]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:32 - Feb 25 with 2314 viewsNerazzurri

I sit in a group of 7 season ticket holders & I am the only 1 who is fortunate enough to be able to get time off work to go. All would have gone on a weekend. 5,000 is a damn good effort.

Forza Nerazzurri

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:34 - Feb 25 with 2304 viewsRAFCBLUE

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:16 - Feb 25 by TVOS1907

2008 is ten years ago. Everyone who went is now ten years older or dead!

Their circumstances have changed, costs of transport have increased, work expectations are perhaps different, their commitments are different and the game is on a Wednesday night in February with ten days notice, not Spring Bank Holiday Monday.

If we take 5,000 fans, which seems likely, that's a damned fine figure and by no stretch of the imagination is it 'light'.

We have to agree to disagree TVOS

442 makes the point I'm trying to make below your post better than I can.

We’ve lost a lot of folk who as he puts it don't come until everything suits them.

On the biggest night in the clubs history, the turning out of just 7,500, adjusting for all your factors appears impossible to achieve.

The puts our maximum potential fans at 5,000-6,000 - a worry for the long term of this club in a town of 80,000.

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:40 - Feb 25 with 2284 viewsTVOS1907

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:34 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

We’ve lost a lot of folk who as he puts it don't come until everything suits them.

On the biggest night in the clubs history, the turning out of just 7,500, adjusting for all your factors appears impossible to achieve.

The puts our maximum potential fans at 5,000-6,000 - a worry for the long term of this club in a town of 80,000.

"Just 7,500"!!

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:43 - Feb 25 with 2270 viewsRAFCBLUE

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:18 - Feb 25 by 442Dale

I can recall discussions the year after Wembley when we played Gillingham in the play-off semis. At the time if we’d had taken 6-7000 it would have been a really good figure.

The percentage of people who went to Wembley and have never been back to Dale since is bigger than we may realise. Can think of four people off the top of my head straight away. They will never go back unless everything falls perfectly to suit them, it was a one-off in their mind. A Wednesday night in February is the knockout factor, one which immediately removes any chance of those people going again and one which also affects regular fans. Again, there are a few who go to every home game who I know that can’t make it.

Add the two groups together and we are left with a very understandable figure of around 5000. And it could be a few more in the end.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 21:19]

”The percentage of people who went to Wembley and have never been back to Dale since is bigger than we may realise.”

Given the decade 2008-2018 has seen two promotions, mainly League 1 football and numerous Cup upsets, how do we attract these fans back again?

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:49 - Feb 25 with 2239 views442Dale

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 21:34 - Feb 25 by RAFCBLUE

They wouldn’t have come back a year after at Wembley no matter what we’d done! Yes, the club could and should have done more, and that still applies, but the following on Wednesday will be a very good one.

We should be more bothered about those turning up every week.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 22:05 - Feb 25 with 2155 viewsDorislove

It does to me TVOS.

Both games on TV.

I have a 7k job at work ,i miss the deadline 28 feb i lose 2k and on penalty of £150 a day .Missing my grandsons first birthday erm no .Not all who want to go can do as TVOS says.
Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 22:21 - Feb 25 with 2106 viewsR17ALE

RAFC BLUE. You need to get out of your bubble that everyone of those 16,000 can attend. Most of us live and work up North. You are lucky in being a London based fan. Don't savage us based on your convenience. It just won't wash.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 22:44 - Feb 25 with 2043 viewsD_Alien

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 22:21 - Feb 25 by R17ALE

RAFC BLUE. You need to get out of your bubble that everyone of those 16,000 can attend. Most of us live and work up North. You are lucky in being a London based fan. Don't savage us based on your convenience. It just won't wash.

Was it a Geoffrey Howe speech which was described as "like being savaged by a dead sheep" ?

A great number of those who followed Dale to Wembley in 2008 weren't even football fans, couldn't name any of the players and had absolutely no intention of visiting Spotland. RACFBLUE possibly hasn't met any of them, but i have - many of them work colleagues, including their wives/husbands and children who decided it'd be a good day out on a Bank Holiday Monday at the new national stadium. I'd say that accounts for at least half of the 17000. The rest, as others have said, just can't make it or have died!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 00:29 - Feb 26 with 1930 viewsmikehunt

Where are the missing 2008 Wembley millions you ask?
Let me give you a break down of my little entourage: 10 went; 4 were friends who lived in the area; 2 were my wife and daughter who will probably never attend another football match in their lives; a further 2 who go to the odd game per season but don't go away; plus me and another season ticket holder and he is preferring to watch this one on telly. So that's one, of that merry band, who will be going on Wednesday.
I have a feeling that kind of group will not be have been unique and no amount of post match cajoling could ever make them attend matches regularly.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 01:10 - Feb 26 with 1889 viewsroccydaleian

Wembley tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday) on 22:44 - Feb 25 by D_Alien

Was it a Geoffrey Howe speech which was described as "like being savaged by a dead sheep" ?

A great number of those who followed Dale to Wembley in 2008 weren't even football fans, couldn't name any of the players and had absolutely no intention of visiting Spotland. RACFBLUE possibly hasn't met any of them, but i have - many of them work colleagues, including their wives/husbands and children who decided it'd be a good day out on a Bank Holiday Monday at the new national stadium. I'd say that accounts for at least half of the 17000. The rest, as others have said, just can't make it or have died!

Talking of sheep, some off of the fans who went to Wembley first time might have an football ban now....
Anyhow, another example is in 2008 all three of us went down as we had the foresight to see weeks in advance there was a big chance Dale would make the play offs and my wife requested the bank holiday off work. This is not possible this time, so only two of us can make it.
Surely now RAFCBLUE, you must be able to understand the difference in numbers?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024