Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Thompson retires 13:16 - Feb 5 with 8945 viewsToffeemanc

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/february/joe-thompson-retirement/

I suppose not unexpected news really.

Good luck Joe with whatever life brings you in the future and thanks for the memories.

That goal against Charlton last season will be forever remembered in Dale history.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Joe Thompson retires on 13:23 - Feb 5 with 6699 viewsMolly

An individual who's character , professionalism , and spirit should be an inspiration to all and especially to anybody with problems to face. He's also a very nice person with a warm and generous personality.

Thank you Joe for the footballing moments we shall fondly remember and good luck with whatever you choose to do now with your career.
Joe Thompson retires on 13:31 - Feb 5 with 6649 viewsMoonyDale

Good luck in all you do Joe, a brave and dignified man who retires from the game and the club he loves. Forever will be remembered for that goal and for his sheer guts and determination..........Testimonial/charity match should be organised at some point imo....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Joe Thompson retires on 13:32 - Feb 5 with 6643 viewsseasidedale

all the best in the future Joe, you have been a fantastic servant to Rochdale AFC annd will go down as a great. Thanks for the memories.
Joe Thompson retires on 13:36 - Feb 5 with 6624 viewsjonahwhereru

A PFA apprentice award winner. A hat trick scorer for Dale. Who also scored the most important goal for the club in the recent past are reasons enough to celebrate Joe’s career. However when you put that against the backdrop of his personal battles and the dignity he maintain through this time in football I have to salute you Joe Thompson.

A true Rochdale legend
Joe Thompson retires on 13:37 - Feb 5 with 6617 viewsJimmyRustler

Will always be a case of 'what if' for me with regards to Joe for his on the field exploits (*that* goal aside of course).

Off the pitch he has been a great role model for both young and old when it comes to his never say die attitude and determination. Makes sense to retire now and focus his energy on things outside of football where he seems to be doing well for himself. Wish him all the best
Joe Thompson retires on 13:43 - Feb 5 with 6583 viewselectricblue

After what joe went through not once but twice and then score That goal and created more publicity for the club then surely an event game can be orgainsed to raise money for charity...

Good luck joe.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Joe Thompson retires on 14:10 - Feb 5 with 6467 viewsDaleiLama

Hope he retains some kind of ambassadorial role in the future. Good people should be rewarded and that would be a win-win. I respected him before I read his book - now I admire him. Good luck in whatever comes next Joe.

Edit: Just found this -

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/february/joe-thompson-events-planned/
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 14:17]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Joe Thompson retires on 14:30 - Feb 5 with 6386 viewsToffeemanc

Joe Thompson retires on 14:10 - Feb 5 by DaleiLama

Hope he retains some kind of ambassadorial role in the future. Good people should be rewarded and that would be a win-win. I respected him before I read his book - now I admire him. Good luck in whatever comes next Joe.

Edit: Just found this -

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/february/joe-thompson-events-planned/
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 14:17]

Definitely should have the applause in the 15th minute.

Then maybe followed with a couple of bursts of this classic.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Thompson retires on 15:28 - Feb 5 with 6218 viewsD_Alien

I'm pleased that Joe has been able to make the right decision, for him & his family, and look forward to seeing how his already heart-warming life will unfold from now on

At the outset of his career, it's fair to say he divided opinion, but now his footballing days are over there can only be one way to view him - an outstanding person and role model

Good luck JT

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Joe Thompson retires on 15:32 - Feb 5 with 6208 viewsColDale

With the planned testimonial, have we ever had a testimonial before?
Joe Thompson retires on 15:41 - Feb 5 with 6176 viewskel

Joe Thompson retires on 15:32 - Feb 5 by ColDale

Yes, sometime in the nineties but can’t remember who for and it was very poorly attended.

#kelsmemory
Joe Thompson retires on 16:25 - Feb 5 with 6042 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Joe Thompson retires on 15:41 - Feb 5 by kel

Yes, sometime in the nineties but can’t remember who for and it was very poorly attended.

#kelsmemory

I do hope the Testimonial is planned for a Saturday,perhaps at the end of the season or earlier if we have a date free and our future in League 1 is assured.Give the players the chance to get involved before they go there seperate ways and will attract the families and friends to the COA one last time......should be a great event.

Can't see a midweek evening game having much appeal?

We owe it to the lad and his Charity work. It's a PR scoop opportunity.
Joe Thompson retires on 16:30 - Feb 5 with 6033 viewsmingthemerciless

I'm sure I went to Stan Milburn's testimonial. Quite a few old internationals were playing that night.
Joe Thompson retires on 16:31 - Feb 5 with 6029 viewsJames1980

The very best of luck to Joey T for his future, an inspiration of the very highest order.

Has been mentioned elsewhere the number 15 shirt should also be retired, I personally think this will be a fitting gesture.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Joe Thompson retires on 16:39 - Feb 5 with 6001 viewsaleanddale

Good Luck Joe whatever you decide to do next!

A true inspiration and THAT goal will be talked about for years to come.

You brought many happy memories and you should be proud of what you achieved on the field of play ( off the field goes without saying!! ).

On the subject of testimonials I went to Ernie Cookseys at Boundary park.

It was really sad. Ernie came on to take a penalty ( had to be helped off after ).

Regrettably he died just a few months later.
Joe Thompson retires on 16:43 - Feb 5 with 5986 viewsDaleiLama

Joe Thompson retires on 16:25 - Feb 5 by Yorkshire_Dale

I do hope the Testimonial is planned for a Saturday,perhaps at the end of the season or earlier if we have a date free and our future in League 1 is assured.Give the players the chance to get involved before they go there seperate ways and will attract the families and friends to the COA one last time......should be a great event.

Can't see a midweek evening game having much appeal?

We owe it to the lad and his Charity work. It's a PR scoop opportunity.

What are the rules for gates for pre-season friendlies? Can't see our opponent balking at letting Joe keep the gate money. Maybe even the EFL would bend the rules if asked? Get a reet big club to play against and try to generate plenty of interest in advance? Spose summer hols might affect attendance a bit for some. Just a thought.

Joe Thompson retires on 16:53 - Feb 5 with 5954 viewsDaleiLama

Joe Thompson retires on 16:53 - Feb 5 with 5947 viewsYouTubeDale

First and foremost an inspiration to others, closely followed by “a Dale legend”.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Joe Thompson retires on 17:39 - Feb 5 with 5801 viewsShun

I honestly can’t speak more highly of the man. What he’s been through yet still managed to achieve is inspirational to anyone. The fact that he’s been through all that and still retained his hugely likeable personality and his fire for life is heartwarming. That he is well and truly a Dale legend is undoubtable. He gave us one of the best Dale memories ever too last May!

Fully on board with the 15th-minute applause on Saturday, and if he should decide to do a Craig Dawson style 30 minute walk round the pitch at the end of the game to shake hands with wellwishers I’d be fully behind that too.

Inspiration.
Joe Thompson retires on 17:52 - Feb 5 with 5747 viewsjoecooke

Legend,makes me proud to be a Rochdalian.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Joe Thompson retires on 18:01 - Feb 5 with 5714 viewsJames1980

Joe Thompson retires on 14:30 - Feb 5 by Toffeemanc

Definitely should have the applause in the 15th minute.

Then maybe followed with a couple of bursts of this classic.

A rendition of this on the 69th minute

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Joe Thompson retires on 18:07 - Feb 5 with 5690 viewssoulboy

I can only echo everything what has been said on here regarding Joey T.
On a personal note, good luck for the future Joe and thank you.
Dale legend.
Joe Thompson retires on 18:22 - Feb 5 with 5615 viewsfrenzied

Joe

The world and the sport of Football is a richer place for having you in it

We all would like to think we would have the courage ,guts and determination to overcome all the difficulties you have had..

Every good wish for your future M8
Joe Thompson retires on 18:58 - Feb 5 with 5516 viewsSuddenLad

Keith Hanvey had a testimonial at Spotland. Peter Beardsley, Peter Barnes and Terry Connor were some of those who took part. I'm sure I have a programme somewhere from that match, a 4-page affair.

It was a Ron Atkinson guest XI v Huddersfield Town, where Keith had plied most of his career.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 19:28]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Joe Thompson retires on 19:14 - Feb 5 with 5481 viewskiwidale

Joe Thompson continues to generate a feeling of warmth towards him, its bitter sweet but his decision to retire is the right one. So proud that he is a Rochdale boy and so proud that he played for us. On another thread the question was asked what is the moment that you will remember being a Dale fan?... without a doubt Joe's goal that kept us up is it and always will be for those who were there. I wish I had been there to see it I wish Joseph Thompson Happiness and contentment all the days of his life.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47132274

This is not the time for bickering.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024