Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham 14:35 - Jan 23 with 17298 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview:

Match Preview: Dale vs Gillingham 23rd Jan 2020 14:33
Dale look to bounce back from a gut-wrenching last-gasp defeat at Wycombe as they host Gillingham at Spotland on Saturday afternoon. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:02 - Jan 25 with 2916 viewsKenBoon

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 17:57 - Jan 25 by DaveButt

If you couldn't get to the match, how do you know what the pitch was like?

The video above and on social media. I wasn’t having a go at Hornets. The problem is with the pitch and it’s quality. It cannot handle winter rugby when it should.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:08 - Jan 25 with 2867 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:02 - Jan 25 by KenBoon

The video above and on social media. I wasn’t having a go at Hornets. The problem is with the pitch and it’s quality. It cannot handle winter rugby when it should.

It’s not improved at all. Same problems year on year.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:10 - Jan 25 with 2857 viewsSuddenLad

Uriah Rennie and Phil Dowd, both former Premiership referees were sat together in the main stand, presumably as assessors. If that incompetent oaf is refereeing another league match after that display, they haven't assessed him properly. Simply unacceptable at any level of football.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:10 - Jan 25 with 2851 viewsReedy

I very rarely lost it with a referee or set of officials. Having been a referee, it’s a very tough job and over the years I’ve seen some bad officiating at dale. That today was the worst I’ve ever seen. He will be on his way home now, knowing he’s had a shocker, a proper shocker. Everyone will talk about the push on Wilbraham or the professional foul on Henderson (neither of them given) but the ineptness of applying easy, simple rules were what frustrated me the most:

No card for the keeper for the penalty
The way they stood in front of every free kick, when McShane (I think) hit it against him, he gave nothing. It’s called obstructing the play and is the easiest yellow card you’ll give.
The way he never punished them for diving.
There was an incident in the second half by the dugout, where a gillingham player juggled with the ball, and it was a gillingham free kick.

Referees have a bloody tough job. But today was the worst officiating I’ve ever seen in around 20 years. He had no control over the game, this was clear when rathbone was kneed in the face and no foul was given (it was a foul and a card for dangerous play) but he didn’t even stop the play as is required with head injuries.

People will ask about the Steve Evans effect. In my opinion, that was just awful officiating. It worries me greatly that this set of officials is deemed capable of taking a league one game. Particularly when not every club is playing this weekend.

The standard of referring in this country is abysmal.

Blog: The FA Cup

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:13 - Jan 25 with 2828 viewsboromat

Less said about the ref the better!

We seem to have set up way too defensive with MJ mainly playing at CB with the ball and Ryan playing deep. The only other central midfielder seemed to be Dooley who being further forward just kept being caught out and isolated. Dooley had a pretty poor game and I was surprised he didn't go off but scored a great goal. Smith looked lively but didn't get the service and was isolated as well.

Second half after the changes we were very offensive and looked like scoring again and again. Wish we'd start the game like that and go for it sometimes.

I'd love to hear more tactical info and ideas from BBM at the fans forum. There's obviously reasons behind the decisions but I'm not always understanding them at the minute.

Subs really changed the game and it was great to see Done put in a cameo like that!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:21 - Jan 25 with 2763 viewskel

If stewards aren’t at a game why do they still get ‘paid’?
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:24 - Jan 25 with 2723 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:13 - Jan 25 by boromat

We seem to have set up way too defensive with MJ mainly playing at CB with the ball and Ryan playing deep. The only other central midfielder seemed to be Dooley who being further forward just kept being caught out and isolated. Dooley had a pretty poor game and I was surprised he didn't go off but scored a great goal. Smith looked lively but didn't get the service and was isolated as well.

Second half after the changes we were very offensive and looked like scoring again and again. Wish we'd start the game like that and go for it sometimes.

I'd love to hear more tactical info and ideas from BBM at the fans forum. There's obviously reasons behind the decisions but I'm not always understanding them at the minute.

Subs really changed the game and it was great to see Done put in a cameo like that!

The forum isn’t supposed to be involving the manager as the focus is on the board’s vision and direction for the club. With a limited amount of time, questions to the manager about tactics and selection will unfortunately distract from the bigger picture.

However, no reason why a Q&A with BBM can’t be sorted too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:28 - Jan 25 with 2669 viewsTVOS1907

Because it's clearly visible on the footage linked on here and possibly on iFollow, if Ken saw that.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:37 - Jan 25 with 2607 viewsJamest1994

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 17:25 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

There was a worse one than that on Henderson near the end. Looked like a shove going into the box. Need to see it again but it looked blatant.

Looks just outside the box but how the ref or linesman didn't see those as fouls is crazy. However he must have given Gillingham about 10 opportunities to launch the ball into our box.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:09 - Jan 25 with 2355 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:13 - Jan 25 by boromat

We were set up far too negatively to begin with, possibly to try to combat their tall, physical forwards but if we're to progress BBM needs to be giving the opposition something to think about from the start at home

Tuesday night, we're at MKD and a point there would be a very good result, keeping them at arms length, so no harm in starting with the same defensive set up as today but with Alby for Smith and Rathbone for Dooley

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:15 - Jan 25 with 2291 viewsKenBoon

Dooley earned Gills a point apparently.
https://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-gillingham/410244
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:24 - Jan 25 with 2215 viewsBartRowou

I don't care how ugly it needs to be: I don't want to drop down to the Oldham division.

We still play decent football with a big man up top. If Calvin and Wilbraham are sufficient, then fine; if not, the club should get in a decent target man before the very first of February.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:26 - Jan 25 with 2192 viewsNinco

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:10 - Jan 25 by Reedy

I very rarely lost it with a referee or set of officials. Having been a referee, it’s a very tough job and over the years I’ve seen some bad officiating at dale. That today was the worst I’ve ever seen. He will be on his way home now, knowing he’s had a shocker, a proper shocker. Everyone will talk about the push on Wilbraham or the professional foul on Henderson (neither of them given) but the ineptness of applying easy, simple rules were what frustrated me the most:

No card for the keeper for the penalty
The way they stood in front of every free kick, when McShane (I think) hit it against him, he gave nothing. It’s called obstructing the play and is the easiest yellow card you’ll give.
The way he never punished them for diving.
There was an incident in the second half by the dugout, where a gillingham player juggled with the ball, and it was a gillingham free kick.

Referees have a bloody tough job. But today was the worst officiating I’ve ever seen in around 20 years. He had no control over the game, this was clear when rathbone was kneed in the face and no foul was given (it was a foul and a card for dangerous play) but he didn’t even stop the play as is required with head injuries.

People will ask about the Steve Evans effect. In my opinion, that was just awful officiating. It worries me greatly that this set of officials is deemed capable of taking a league one game. Particularly when not every club is playing this weekend.

The standard of referring in this country is abysmal.

At the point that the referee went down the tunnel at the end of the game, there must have been 10 stewards surrounding him. What do they seriously think we are going to do? Yes, there's a bit of angry shouting, but do they seriously expect anyone to hit him? They would then need to run 100 yards to get out and assume that nobody had radioed to the gate man to stop people leaving.

It summed it up for me when someone shouted something to the fourth official just after half time about the standard of refereeing, and his response was to ask a steward to remove him. Pathetic. I hope the officials watch the game back afterwards and they can see how bad they were.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:29 - Jan 25 with 2187 viewssince58

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:24 - Jan 25 by BartRowou

I don't care how ugly it needs to be: I don't want to drop down to the Oldham division.

We still play decent football with a big man up top. If Calvin and Wilbraham are sufficient, then fine; if not, the club should get in a decent target man before the very first of February.

Are you for real. Calvin should be nowhere near that team as the team sheet proved today.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:36 - Jan 25 with 2132 views49thseason

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 18:37 - Jan 25 by Jamest1994

Looks just outside the box but how the ref or linesman didn't see those as fouls is crazy. However he must have given Gillingham about 10 opportunities to launch the ball into our box.

I thought the ref actually blew the whistle to give the foul and then waved play on. Whis is apparent from that clip is that the Gills player actually went across Henderson deliberately to take him out. Dreadful, refereeing and lining today the foul in midfield on Rathbone was an out and out assault as was the attack on Lynch for their first goal.
One of these days this idiot ref will get someone badly injured. If BBM had brought them off the pitch it would have been entirely reasonable the league has to get a grip. The referee has to be responsible for a safe playing environment and must suffer consequences if he isnt up to it.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:38 - Jan 25 with 2111 viewsSaxonDale

Wonder if McLaughlin is moved on. Wasn’t in the squad today, despite both BBM and Riley saying we only had the 2 players (Sanchez and Camps) injured. Unless he spends so long injured that he has been forgotten by them in the interviews, which sadly would say a lot.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:45 - Jan 25 with 2061 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:29 - Jan 25 by since58

Are you for real. Calvin should be nowhere near that team as the team sheet proved today.

Wonder how much Blackpool must be paying Gary Madine?

6 million quid less than 2 years ago and now there. Never really rated him but will do well at this level and a useful outlet with potential to be sold on if he did well, obviously out of our price range though!

Calvin will be gone in 6m as will a fair few of the squad, if not in the next week, other than injuries I think BBM signings have been great, and if given the wages will build well.

Weathers a bit parky too have you noticed?

Trying to avoid mentioning the match as the penalty is so blatant it’s got to be a brown envelope Job!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:50 - Jan 25 with 2029 viewsjonahwhereru

Someone on here last season was bemoaning the number of draws we were getting. I went to Wycombe last week, and when we’re loosing today I would have taken the point. We have not picked up many points from teams above us in the league so I will gladly take this one.
Game time for Rathbone, and suspect he will play on Tuesday. That is the biggest league game we have on the horizon. And yes I would take a draw in that.
Oh and Calvin was missing from the squad today which can’t mean anything else than a bid coming in for him, isn’t that always the case when a player isnt named in a squad during January.. conversely Hendo, O’Connell, Matheson and Rathbone all played so clearly there is no one in for them.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:52 - Jan 25 with 2020 viewsSandyman

This game proved that we need more height and physicality to compete well in this division. Something we've known for a long time, and our players did very well considering the team they were up against.
Which brings me on to someone who, allegedly, is a referee?
Reedy ^^ puts it very succinctly. After what we witnessed today from Paul Marsden, he is one of two things.
1) Incapable of officiating to League One standards. In need of re-training or a rest. The "mistakes" he made, visible to everyone, and no doubt recorded in full on video (a couple of clips are available to see on this forum) prove he is in no way whatsoever competent to run a game evenly. Other teams need protecting from his inadequacy, and I think he does as well, as the reception he and the hapless assistants (deservedly) got at half-time and full time indicated.
2) The ridiculous and inconsistent decisions he made, depending on which team was involved, suggests something more sinister. Not a nice thing to say, but Marsden was that bad today, he was being accused by fans left right and charlie on the way out of being, how shall we say it diplomatically, "under an influence" . Sadly, his decisions made such a viewpoint worthy of consideration. He was that bad.

The insane refereeing of Andy Haines v Fleetwood less than a month ago I hoped was a one off. This today was even worse. WTF is going on EFL ?
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:52 - Jan 25 with 2018 viewsWalboro

Just seen that push on Alby what a fcukin disgrace these officials should never be anywhere near afootball match,Even the wife sat here said it was a penalty. Hendos was just outside.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:01 - Jan 25 with 1966 viewssince58

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:45 - Jan 25 by Thacks_Rabbits

6 million quid less than 2 years ago and now there. Never really rated him but will do well at this level and a useful outlet with potential to be sold on if he did well, obviously out of our price range though!

Calvin will be gone in 6m as will a fair few of the squad, if not in the next week, other than injuries I think BBM signings have been great, and if given the wages will build well.

Trying to avoid mentioning the match as the penalty is so blatant it’s got to be a brown envelope Job!

Not frosty tho yet is it regarding the weather.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:03 - Jan 25 with 1957 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 19:45 - Jan 25 by Thacks_Rabbits

Or compromising photographs

Also if they weren't penalties why were none of the Dale players booked for simulation?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 20:06]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:06 - Jan 25 with 1946 viewsSandyman

VAR would have been very embarrassing for "referee" Paul Marsden and his assistants at today's game. Wonder if he would have made as many rank bad decisions as he did with Stockley Park watching and a big screen available?

A lot of his idiotic rulings today, that clearly affected the outcome of the game would have been overturned. No doubt.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:09 - Jan 25 with 1927 viewssince58

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:03 - Jan 25 by James1980

Or compromising photographs

Also if they weren't penalties why were none of the Dale players booked for simulation?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 20:06]

Behave.
Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:15 - Jan 25 with 1896 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Gillingham on 20:09 - Jan 25 by since58

Behave.

Where's the fun in that

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024