Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 36136 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:11 - Jun 20 with 2222 viewsblackdogblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:30 - Jun 20 by judd

Don't forget the shameful treatment of Chris Dunphy.

The more I read, the more they can stick my season ticket money..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:12 - Jun 20 with 2217 views442Dale

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/may/update--board-of-directors_07.05.20/

<<“ As a result of these actions, we will now only be providing media updates on a once a weekly basis and our social media channels will remain unmanned at all other times.”>>

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:15 - Jun 20 with 2201 viewsJames1980

Who is usually responsible for informing players they are being released?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:18 - Jun 20 with 2177 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:15 - Jun 20 by James1980

Mark Zuckerburg

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:19 - Jun 20 with 2172 viewsDale23years

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:11 - Jun 20 by blackdogblue

The more I read, the more they can stick my season ticket money..

Argee with you there.
Club keep treating us like mugs.

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:20 - Jun 20 with 2162 viewsfunkkk

I think the most disgusting thing is after 7.5 years with the club Ian Henderson (our second highest goalscorer ever) thinks we're called AFC Rochdale.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:22 - Jun 20 with 2141 viewsToffeemanc

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:15 - Jun 20 by James1980

I would assume this would be our Chief Ego Officer.
If Hendos statement is true and there seems little reason to disbelieve it then I'm afraid our board have lost any respect they may have had. For me personally I haven't trusted them since the ousting of Dunphy and my opinion of them only gets lower as time passes by.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:22 - Jun 20 with 2139 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:18 - Jun 20 by judd

Mark Zuckerburg

Very good, certainly seems that way.

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:26 - Jun 20 with 2113 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:22 - Jun 20 by Toffeemanc

I would assume this would be our Chief Ego Officer.
If Hendos statement is true and there seems little reason to disbelieve it then I'm afraid our board have lost any respect they may have had. For me personally I haven't trusted them since the ousting of Dunphy and my opinion of them only gets lower as time passes by.

Again (if true) this is a disaster of management right from the top of the tree, would like to see a statement from the chairman regarding this mess. How and why has this been allowed to happen.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:29 - Jun 20 with 2090 viewselectricblue

Well what a shambles this lot are who run the club.
From ousting Dunphy to June 2020...

Will this Henderson scenario have a major financial knock on effect from the supporters by not renewing season tickets etc.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:38 - Jun 20 with 2028 viewsJames1980

Will Camps or any of the other players be issuing any statements regarding how they found out about being released from the club?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:38 - Jun 20 with 2028 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:29 - Jun 20 by electricblue

Well what a shambles this lot are who run the club.
From ousting Dunphy to June 2020...

Will this Henderson scenario have a major financial knock on effect from the supporters by not renewing season tickets etc.

Second thoughts by me for sure. What about yourself?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:38 - Jun 20 with 2027 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:26 - Jun 20 by standale

Again (if true) this is a disaster of management right from the top of the tree, would like to see a statement from the chairman regarding this mess. How and why has this been allowed to happen.

There are two different issues here:

1) Hendo's contract coming to an end, following protracted negotiations which *apparently* got stuck on the length of the deal, not the remunerative aspect. It will have become clear as the virus struck and club staff went into furlough that the likely outcome for anyone not under contract would be to be released, pending clarity on the new season and financial circumstances at that point in time

2) Hendo not receiving a phone call and/or other message from the club at the point the retained list was issued, prior to finding out on social media. He would, of course, have known that he wouldn't be on the retained list given the circumstances described above

Playing devil's advocate, is it possible the club didn't actually feel they wanted Hendo to leave but that at some point negotiations would resume? The club issued a written appraisal of Hendo's fine contribution during the past 7-plus years in their statement following the publication of the retained list, but this didn't exclude the possibility of further negotiations

Hendo, in the meantime, now appears to have burnt any bridges, and it's within his right to do so. But...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:49 - Jun 20 with 1965 viewsVivaDonaldo

What I'm surmising from this is that the club left a deal on the table. One that Hendo or his representatives felt wasn't good enough and hadn't accepted. "Minor details" major enough that the club felt they couldn't concede.

Hendo could've signed this same deal at any point up until yesterday you'd think, when he was supposedly told its now off the table.

Perhaps our captain felt he had enough standing with the club and fans that he could wait till retained list day and force the clubs hand, not believing for one second they would dare release him.

Throw into the mix the pandemic and economic uncertainty and its not surprising the club withdrew the offer prior to confirming him on the released list.

What is surprising is if the club genuinely hadn't had any contact prior to yesterday. But I think it's likely he would've been given a deadline on the offer and an indication that there's no further improvement to be made.

Seems like a player/agent power play gone wrong to me and now Hendo might be doing what he can to preserve his club legend status, after all his other enterprise is all about personal brand. Which, to be fair, his longevity and performances alone entitle him to.

Could've left on the same social media note as Camps who I thought showed great maturity yesterday.

A real shame it has to play out like this.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:50 - Jun 20 with 1961 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:38 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

There are two different issues here:

1) Hendo's contract coming to an end, following protracted negotiations which *apparently* got stuck on the length of the deal, not the remunerative aspect. It will have become clear as the virus struck and club staff went into furlough that the likely outcome for anyone not under contract would be to be released, pending clarity on the new season and financial circumstances at that point in time

2) Hendo not receiving a phone call and/or other message from the club at the point the retained list was issued, prior to finding out on social media. He would, of course, have known that he wouldn't be on the retained list given the circumstances described above

Playing devil's advocate, is it possible the club didn't actually feel they wanted Hendo to leave but that at some point negotiations would resume? The club issued a written appraisal of Hendo's fine contribution during the past 7-plus years in their statement following the publication of the retained list, but this didn't exclude the possibility of further negotiations

Hendo, in the meantime, now appears to have burnt any bridges, and it's within his right to do so. But...

Reading Hendos statement I would suggest the club did want Hendo to leave, and they hadn't anticipated Hendo going so public.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:54 - Jun 20 with 1937 viewsJames1980

I know this is stating the obvious but could this just be a shocking break down in communication. Whoever pressed the button on to put the list on the official site didn't check that all players had been informed what was happening.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 14:55]

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:54 - Jun 20 with 1937 viewsSandyman

What James said earlier.
Mike Minay at Radio Bolton knew before Hendo did? Tipped off by agents or who?
No 40 appears to have more affinity and understanding of fans feelings than the directors do. He deserves much better treatment by RAFC.
Negativity towards good players, potential new investors, long serving Goldbond agents - so different to the positivity exhibited by the club at the last fans forum. Actions speak louder than words eh?
I do hope Hendo wins supporters player of the season more than ever now. If you haven't voted already, you know what to do. Voting stays open until 26th June.

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2020/06/vote-for-your-player-of-the-season/

Not happy.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:54 - Jun 20 with 1933 views1997Dale

Camps' leaving message was very positive and you would have thought after his time at the club he would have likely mentioned if he had only found out via social media.

While still inexcusable if true, do you think there is any possibility that it was a mistake not to tell Henderson and others were informed but for some unknown and bizarre reason he was missed out?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:55 - Jun 20 with 1921 viewselectricblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:38 - Jun 20 by standale

Second thoughts by me for sure. What about yourself?

Well i joined the trust and was i seriously thinking of purchasing a season ticket for the main stand, as i could just choose what games to attend.
But now after thinking about it all i dont think that the club deserve supporters money up front...
Ok times are unpresidented with the covid 19 situation and the supporters where coming to terms with that and this comes along..

The whole club stinks at the moment and everything they had said in either statements or at fans forums dont wash with me now they tell us what we like to hear.

Worse of all is the club having a chairman who would give lord lucan a serious run for his money..

The current board have shown their true colours for me and i wonder if Altman and co will look at this and sell their shares......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:56 - Jun 20 with 1913 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:50 - Jun 20 by judd

Reading Hendos statement I would suggest the club did want Hendo to leave, and they hadn't anticipated Hendo going so public.

Hendo refers to "not being told the full truth", but isn't that part and parcel of contract negotiations in any walk of life, in that "telling the full truth" only confers an advantage to one party? I'm not disagreeing with what you say, just trying to take a step back from Hendo's statement

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:01 - Jun 20 with 1859 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:56 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

Hendo refers to "not being told the full truth", but isn't that part and parcel of contract negotiations in any walk of life, in that "telling the full truth" only confers an advantage to one party? I'm not disagreeing with what you say, just trying to take a step back from Hendo's statement

That wasn't the line that led me to my conclusion, but I do take your point.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:02 - Jun 20 with 1852 viewsisitme

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:56 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

I wonder what this not being told the full truth part is actually about? Was he not told it was the club's final offer? Was he verbally promised a three year deal, which then became two when formal offers were made?

As always there are three sides also every tale!
Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:03 - Jun 20 with 1843 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:54 - Jun 20 by Sandyman

What James said earlier.
Mike Minay at Radio Bolton knew before Hendo did? Tipped off by agents or who?
No 40 appears to have more affinity and understanding of fans feelings than the directors do. He deserves much better treatment by RAFC.
Negativity towards good players, potential new investors, long serving Goldbond agents - so different to the positivity exhibited by the club at the last fans forum. Actions speak louder than words eh?
I do hope Hendo wins supporters player of the season more than ever now. If you haven't voted already, you know what to do. Voting stays open until 26th June.

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2020/06/vote-for-your-player-of-the-season/

Not happy.

Quality as ever, Sandyman.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:14 - Jun 20 with 1765 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:55 - Jun 20 by electricblue

Well i joined the trust and was i seriously thinking of purchasing a season ticket for the main stand, as i could just choose what games to attend.
But now after thinking about it all i dont think that the club deserve supporters money up front...
Ok times are unpresidented with the covid 19 situation and the supporters where coming to terms with that and this comes along..

The whole club stinks at the moment and everything they had said in either statements or at fans forums dont wash with me now they tell us what we like to hear.

Worse of all is the club having a chairman who would give lord lucan a serious run for his money..

The current board have shown their true colours for me and i wonder if Altman and co will look at this and sell their shares......

This could take some serious resignations to rebuild the trust back with the fan base. Bridges built at the forum seem to be well and truly demolished.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:24 - Jun 20 with 1721 viewsSaxonDale

Over 1000 people have 'liked' Henderson's Instagram post since he put it online.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024