Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 36147 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:41 - Jun 20 with 2458 viewsjudd

I think the club missed a trick here if they did indeed email Hendo and not invite him to join the new Lotto.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:45 - Jun 20 with 2437 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:54 - Jun 20 by Sandyman

What James said earlier.
Mike Minay at Radio Bolton knew before Hendo did? Tipped off by agents or who?
No 40 appears to have more affinity and understanding of fans feelings than the directors do. He deserves much better treatment by RAFC.
Negativity towards good players, potential new investors, long serving Goldbond agents - so different to the positivity exhibited by the club at the last fans forum. Actions speak louder than words eh?
I do hope Hendo wins supporters player of the season more than ever now. If you haven't voted already, you know what to do. Voting stays open until 26th June.

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2020/06/vote-for-your-player-of-the-season/

Not happy.

Could this be how it played out the agent(s) were carrying out negotiations on behalf of Hendo and terms could not be agreed. However his representatives were playing hard ball and not Ian himself? Perhaps both parties could have agreed on a 2 1/2 year deal. Someone from the club informed his agent that as a deal could not be agreed on Henderson would be released. For some reason whether it was a club insider or an agent that information was leaked to the press before someone could tell Hendo, who saw Minay's bleep stirring tweet and thought wtf is going on and contacted his agent and or the club for confirmation?
Surely the club would not have been so crass as to put the official list into the public domain before making sure all players knew their 'fate'.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:53 - Jun 20 with 2376 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:45 - Jun 20 by James1980

Could this be how it played out the agent(s) were carrying out negotiations on behalf of Hendo and terms could not be agreed. However his representatives were playing hard ball and not Ian himself? Perhaps both parties could have agreed on a 2 1/2 year deal. Someone from the club informed his agent that as a deal could not be agreed on Henderson would be released. For some reason whether it was a club insider or an agent that information was leaked to the press before someone could tell Hendo, who saw Minay's bleep stirring tweet and thought wtf is going on and contacted his agent and or the club for confirmation?
Surely the club would not have been so crass as to put the official list into the public domain before making sure all players knew their 'fate'.

"the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent..."

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:07 - Jun 20 with 2285 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:53 - Jun 20 by judd

"the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent..."

The specifics of those inconsistencies would be good to know. Those that are responsible for them should explain themselves because it would appear to be a major factor in this absolute travesty.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:17 - Jun 20 with 2245 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:07 - Jun 20 by James1980

The specifics of those inconsistencies would be good to know. Those that are responsible for them should explain themselves because it would appear to be a major factor in this absolute travesty.

I don't think the club could afford the deal originally offered once the crisis kicked in.

It should not have blurred thinking about how to structure a deal in the current climate.

I hope something can be done to re-sign him when normality appears on the horizon if only to give him a shot at breaking Reg's record.

But there are no excuses for not phoning Hendo to explain the decision. Even I have been phoned by the club on my home phone.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:28 - Jun 20 with 2186 views442Dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:17 - Jun 20 by judd

I don't think the club could afford the deal originally offered once the crisis kicked in.

It should not have blurred thinking about how to structure a deal in the current climate.

I hope something can be done to re-sign him when normality appears on the horizon if only to give him a shot at breaking Reg's record.

But there are no excuses for not phoning Hendo to explain the decision. Even I have been phoned by the club on my home phone.

How long is your new deal and what squad number?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:31 - Jun 20 with 2177 viewselectricblue

I wonder if the statement by Henderson warrants a response from the club...

Will they bite or ignore it......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:32 - Jun 20 with 2161 viewselectricblue

I dont think Henderson will be back after his FB statement.........
Not in Dale shirt anyway...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:34 - Jun 20 with 2150 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:28 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

How long is your new deal and what squad number?

My new deal has been withdrawn and my squad number says £1 per week if you can find out how.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:00 - Jun 20 with 2056 viewsJames1980

Certainly agree no excuses, will the club attempt to issue a statement with an explanation though?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:09 - Jun 20 with 2020 views442Dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:00 - Jun 20 by James1980

Certainly agree no excuses, will the club attempt to issue a statement with an explanation though?

If they do, please let it be in chapters. Preferably starting many years ago with links to music that will add extra emotion for the reader. Dave Whelan would.

Only if you’ve got 14 hours in a day to create such things, of course.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:27 - Jun 20 with 1947 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:09 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

If they do, please let it be in chapters. Preferably starting many years ago with links to music that will add extra emotion for the reader. Dave Whelan would.

Only if you’ve got 14 hours in a day to create such things, of course.

A simple, we are sorry that the clubs second highest scorer of all time, club captain and talisman has been treated so shoddily, would be a start.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:28 - Jun 20 with 1947 viewsChaffRAFC

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:49 - Jun 20 by VivaDonaldo

What I'm surmising from this is that the club left a deal on the table. One that Hendo or his representatives felt wasn't good enough and hadn't accepted. "Minor details" major enough that the club felt they couldn't concede.

Hendo could've signed this same deal at any point up until yesterday you'd think, when he was supposedly told its now off the table.

Perhaps our captain felt he had enough standing with the club and fans that he could wait till retained list day and force the clubs hand, not believing for one second they would dare release him.

Throw into the mix the pandemic and economic uncertainty and its not surprising the club withdrew the offer prior to confirming him on the released list.

What is surprising is if the club genuinely hadn't had any contact prior to yesterday. But I think it's likely he would've been given a deadline on the offer and an indication that there's no further improvement to be made.

Seems like a player/agent power play gone wrong to me and now Hendo might be doing what he can to preserve his club legend status, after all his other enterprise is all about personal brand. Which, to be fair, his longevity and performances alone entitle him to.

Could've left on the same social media note as Camps who I thought showed great maturity yesterday.

A real shame it has to play out like this.

Agree with this.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:40 - Jun 20 with 1892 viewsDaley_Lama

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released

Clownshoes of a club.

Farewell Hendo, legend status guaranteed, sounds like you wanted to see out your career here, shame that aint going to happen.

Poll: DF in or out

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:17 - Jun 20 with 1750 viewsBigDaveMyCock

He was shocked to find out on social media!!
He’s going to be livid when he finds out that they called you and not him n’all.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 18:17]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:17 - Jun 20 with 1753 viewsfinberty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:40 - Jun 20 by Daley_Lama

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released

Clownshoes of a club.

Farewell Hendo, legend status guaranteed, sounds like you wanted to see out your career here, shame that aint going to happen.

Agree with that. It’s not just what he has done, but what he was continuing to do and clearly has a desire still to do.

Presumably the club thinks there’s a Hendo on every street corner, and all it needs to do is see who’s available. As will all other League clubs.

There was something good about having a striker other clubs respected or feared. I know there’s no loyalty in the game, yet he turned out for Dale for all those years, often in an underperforming team. Nobody has scored more in EFL1 in the last few years.

But the club cast him aside with no thanks, no basic courtesy and no class.

My only hope is that this is agreed by both parties to be an undesirable f***-up, and that common ground can be found so that he can get the record, help a few victories and can then leave with a proper send-off in the near future.

What an embarrassment for this to be leaked in the first place.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:19 - Jun 20 with 1741 views442Dale

[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 18:20]

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:21 - Jun 20 with 1726 viewsMancDale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:40 - Jun 20 by Daley_Lama

Clownshoes of a club.

Gutted he's gone but let's be honest now, if he was that keen to stay he would have signed the contract on offer. Did he really think we're in a position to be offering better terms now then we were earlier in the season? If that's the case then he's been incredibly naive.

Still should've been communicated properly though. No excuse there.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:53 - Jun 20 with 1617 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:21 - Jun 20 by MancDale

Gutted he's gone but let's be honest now, if he was that keen to stay he would have signed the contract on offer. Did he really think we're in a position to be offering better terms now then we were earlier in the season? If that's the case then he's been incredibly naive.

Still should've been communicated properly though. No excuse there.

Hendo's statement suggests that the deal was retracted with no alternative put to him. Perhaps the club felt all they could realistically afford would be an insult and decided not to offer an alternative. What I am sure we all agree on is the lack of proper communication needs a decent explanation.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:57 - Jun 20 with 1606 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:53 - Jun 20 by James1980

Hendo's statement suggests that the deal was retracted with no alternative put to him. Perhaps the club felt all they could realistically afford would be an insult and decided not to offer an alternative. What I am sure we all agree on is the lack of proper communication needs a decent explanation.

...or the club just wanted rid?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:59 - Jun 20 with 1601 viewsKenBoon

Considering how close we were to relegation with Henderson, and there’s zero chance he’ll be replaced, I cannot see much fun next season. If he wasn’t taking the piss with negotiations then the decision not to keep the contract out there is puzzling. To not tell him is disgraceful. Happens far too often now.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 19:05 - Jun 20 with 1569 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 18:57 - Jun 20 by judd

...or the club just wanted rid?

Perhaps there is someone who wants to make it abundantly clear that they are top dog at the club.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 19:11 - Jun 20 with 1548 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 19:05 - Jun 20 by James1980

Perhaps there is someone who wants to make it abundantly clear that they are top dog at the club.

I don't know if there are strict rules that restrict contractual remuneration agreements in professional football, but if the club/manager wanted a proven goalscorer to stay, then surely something could have been offered with payment caveats in place, the whip hand being wirh the club given the imminent deadline and the economic climate?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 19:24 - Jun 20 with 1500 viewsborodale

His agent I take it, or agents puppet.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 19:29 - Jun 20 with 1484 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Whatever has gone on or happened, he should have been at least released face to face or via a phone call, that’s nothing short of a disgrace, although nothing shocks me with out current board tbh.

On a very different note, Hendo is not stupid and will have known when his contract ended he would be released, you have to as he is no longer an employee, he expected the board to back down, give him the deal he wanted, he played chicken and lost!

The club will be financially strapped for cash and maybe this is all they could offer, it does pain me to say that Hendo taking to Facebook is like the petulant, lash out at a defender, get sent off Hendo we used to see. He has got better recently, but the speed of taking to social media to me strikes of a teenager who can’t go out because he did not mow the lawn!

Another option is that we have freed up say £20k a week in wages, BBM was told due to past over spending he would only have a budget of 12k a week to form next years squad and did he want a third of that being on Hendo? He may have said no.

Henderson had lots of time to sign a deal and chose not to, had he really wanted to stay he could have said pre Xmas 2.5 year deal, testimonial at end and we take things from there, he did not, his agents wanted more and covid has buggered it up.

His statement will probably be factually correct, but it’s the vague bits he missed out on that give him away. Minor details, well maybe not to the club.

He will get a decent deal, get paid well elsewhere, probably regret his actions but resent the club as he will feel wronged.

Ultimately he should have been informed properly, or does DB only do face to face on stag do’s?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024