Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 days of christmas scrapped 19:50 - Dec 19 with 6316 viewselectricblue

Great..
Its gets worse.........
Boris as scrapped the 5 day christmas bubble.
It is now christmas day only.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

5 days of christmas scrapped on 19:52 - Dec 19 with 2929 viewsD_Alien

No shit

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

5 days of christmas scrapped on 19:57 - Dec 19 with 2904 viewsTVOS1907

The ‘12 Days of Christmas’ must be worried.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:00 - Dec 19 with 2886 viewsdawlishdale

The Xmas mixing was meant with the best intentions, but things have moved quickly.

It would have been madness to leave things as they were.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:03 - Dec 19 with 2875 viewsSandyman

5 days of christmas scrapped on 19:57 - Dec 19 by TVOS1907

The ‘12 Days of Christmas’ must be worried.

Day 1 is content - the partridge in a pear tree can still be handed over on its due date.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:04 - Dec 19 with 2866 viewsfunkkk

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:00 - Dec 19 by dawlishdale

The Xmas mixing was meant with the best intentions, but things have moved quickly.

It was always ridiculous and flied in the face of science. Despite what Boris might say the scientific advice has not changed.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:04 - Dec 19 with 2861 viewsnordenblue

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:00 - Dec 19 by dawlishdale

Funny how its taken a rapid rise in London and generally southern areas for us all to be nailed down over Christmas, didn't remember such a drastic reaction when the North had literally double and more so in some places the figures currently seen down there.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:21 - Dec 19 with 2786 viewsjonahwhereru

Things have really crancked up here in Essex. Southend hospital had five cases eight weeks ago. It now has 250 cases. It is ironic that Basildon was the local epicentre of lockdown protests and now it has the highest number of cases in the country. The less people travel the better chance of containing this latest strain in the south. I hope so but sense it will roll up the country.
Stay safe all. If the government have any sense they will do a 2 day bank holiday sometime in late summer as a celebration holiday. After all we have fewer public holidays than virtually any other country.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:21 - Dec 19 with 2782 views442Dale

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:04 - Dec 19 by nordenblue

Funny how its taken a rapid rise in London and generally southern areas for us all to be nailed down over Christmas, didn't remember such a drastic reaction when the North had literally double and more so in some places the figures currently seen down there.

Though they did explain a lot was to do with the discovery of a more contagious strain. Whilst, as others have said, there shouldn’t have been declarations of ‘five days of Christmas’ so far in advance, they’ve now reacted and stuck the south east under far more restrictions than elsewhere.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:22 - Dec 19 with 2780 viewsDalenet

Rochdale and other northern towns didn't reach 700+ infection rates like Kent that are doubling every 7 days. Interesting that people were calling for the north to be moved to tier 2 just a few days ago and here we are with Christmas pulled back.

Rochdale has had it hard and local lockdowns started at the end of July when infection rates were considered too high at 34-40. That would get Rochdale tier 1 status now. How things change
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:24 - Dec 19 with 2771 viewssince58

Bet the southern fookers arent 2 turtle doves with boris now.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:34 - Dec 19 with 2725 viewsD_Alien

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:21 - Dec 19 by 442Dale

Though they did explain a lot was to do with the discovery of a more contagious strain. Whilst, as others have said, there shouldn’t have been declarations of ‘five days of Christmas’ so far in advance, they’ve now reacted and stuck the south east under far more restrictions than elsewhere.

There was nothing wrong with the "five days" announcement, at the time it was made, with the intention of allowing people to make plans over the holiday. It was a workable compromise, and but for the new mutation would still be in place

As Vallance said in the briefing, although the science is complicated, there's also a very easy element to it - if the virus can't spread through interpersonal contact, it'll decline. Personal responsibility is still a major element, and popping into a local Co-op this morning several people weren't wearing masks

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:46 - Dec 19 with 2680 views442Dale

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:34 - Dec 19 by D_Alien

There was nothing wrong with the "five days" announcement, at the time it was made, with the intention of allowing people to make plans over the holiday. It was a workable compromise, and but for the new mutation would still be in place

As Vallance said in the briefing, although the science is complicated, there's also a very easy element to it - if the virus can't spread through interpersonal contact, it'll decline. Personal responsibility is still a major element, and popping into a local Co-op this morning several people weren't wearing masks

Only an opinion and it’s that there was no need to make it so early, waiting to see how numbers were closer to the time was an option. Especially with just coming out of Lockdown 2. They may well have been in place but for the new mutation, but there were enough on the medical side warning against it anyway due to contact discussed. There’s a certain sense of inevitability around it all, especially, as you say, the lack of personal accountability. If there’s a need to justifying choice/behaviour, then it’s wrong; strongly believe that.

5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:05 - Dec 19 with 2638 viewsD_Alien

5 days of christmas scrapped on 20:46 - Dec 19 by 442Dale

Only an opinion and it’s that there was no need to make it so early, waiting to see how numbers were closer to the time was an option. Especially with just coming out of Lockdown 2. They may well have been in place but for the new mutation, but there were enough on the medical side warning against it anyway due to contact discussed. There’s a certain sense of inevitability around it all, especially, as you say, the lack of personal accountability. If there’s a need to justifying choice/behaviour, then it’s wrong; strongly believe that.

Respect your opinion

There was an interesting exchange on Newsnight during the week, though can't remember the protagonists now. But whilst one of them rolled out the "people need certainty" message, it was countered with something along the lines of "one of the dangers of this pandemic is that its making large numbers of people feel like they need to be told what to do, and in a democracy that's a dangerous precedent"

Unsurprisingly, i'm of the latter opinion

5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:16 - Dec 19 with 2614 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Boris is an optimist & something of a libertarian but he’s also not completely daft, by proposing a 5 day “relaxation” over Xmas rather than more draconian measures he hoped to avoid a massive backlash.
Which he will now experience as millions of people who have already made arrangements will stick 2 fingers up to his latest announcement. Expect a grim January.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:21 - Dec 19 with 2599 viewsSaxonDale

Must say I was amazed that the Government threatened legal action against schools for moving to online learning this week (Greenwich and Islington). Think all things considered given the new mutation, school’s closing a week early (with the caveat of online learning and staying open for key workers) would’ve probably been a sensible move.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:41 - Dec 19 with 2551 viewsD_Alien

5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:21 - Dec 19 by SaxonDale

Must say I was amazed that the Government threatened legal action against schools for moving to online learning this week (Greenwich and Islington). Think all things considered given the new mutation, school’s closing a week early (with the caveat of online learning and staying open for key workers) would’ve probably been a sensible move.

Absolutely

Why Williamson wasn't sacked in the summer after the exams fiasco i'll never know, but when you're trying to get people onside, that level of incompetence is a huge drag on the government

It's something i'd like to see put right at a very early stage in the New Year

5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:58 - Dec 19 with 2510 viewsnordenblue

5 days of christmas scrapped on 21:21 - Dec 19 by SaxonDale

Absolutely,even more so for the high schools now they know they're a big problem for increasing the infection rates,
5 days of christmas scrapped on 22:49 - Dec 19 with 2426 views49thseason

Apparently there have been at least 7 mutations of the original Wuhan virus "L" strain, this new one may be more infectious but perhaps less deadly than the "G" strain which is now prevalent around the globe. The question which now needs to be answered is "is the spike protein onto which the vaccines currently available are targeted still going to present a suitable target"? Whitty apparently thinks current vaccines will be OK... but until work to test this theory is completed he cannot be sure.
However, a UK vaccine is going into P1 trials in the New Year which targets both the spike and the "N" nucleocapsid and also adds T Cell avidity ( more T cells for those who have too few Ie the elderly). This 2nd generation Vaccine should be effective against all types of Corona viruses as they all carry the "N" and will give "T Cell Memory" (so maybe a 5 or 6 year re-vaccination regimen or longer) . It is also easier to manufacture and easier to store and therefore cheaper.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 22:14 - Dec 20 with 1995 viewsrod_leach

Can't beat a bit of copy and paste.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 08:16 - Dec 21 with 1849 viewsBigDaveMyCock

5 days of christmas scrapped on 22:14 - Dec 20 by rod_leach

Our resident researcher seems to have gone quiet on vitamin D being a cure and the global conspiracy to keep that ‘game changer’ of a fact from us.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

5 days of christmas scrapped on 12:59 - Dec 21 with 1733 views49thseason

5 days of christmas scrapped on 22:14 - Dec 20 by rod_leach

Can't beat having 100,000 shares in the company. Its not a c&p and its insulting of you not to realise there are people here who might actually be capable of understanding some of the science and backing it with their own money.
Merry Christmas!
5 days of christmas scrapped on 13:05 - Dec 21 with 1701 viewsBigDaveMyCock

5 days of christmas scrapped on 12:59 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

Can't beat having 100,000 shares in the company. Its not a c&p and its insulting of you not to realise there are people here who might actually be capable of understanding some of the science and backing it with their own money.
Merry Christmas!

I reckon Hugo Chavez is behind the whole thing.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

5 days of christmas scrapped on 14:56 - Dec 21 with 1601 views442Dale

5 days of christmas scrapped on 12:59 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

Merry Christmas!

Could you further explain the science with associated links so we can all understand it better?

Thank you.

5 days of christmas scrapped on 16:42 - Dec 21 with 1521 views49thseason

5 days of christmas scrapped on 14:56 - Dec 21 by 442Dale

Could you further explain the science with associated links so we can all understand it better?

Thank you.

442, I haven't given any links (if this comment was aimed at me). but there is enough below to find out more , google permitting.

In the simplest terms possible, the existing vaccines are all focused on the Spike protein and are attempting to kill the virus by preventing the spike from joining to the ACE 2 receptor which is common on the surface of many of the bodies cells ( think electrical plugs and sockets). If the spike changes as one of the mutations, the current vaccines may not be able to prevent the spike from "plugging into" the other cells, Ultimately the aim is to give the body's T cells enough time to muster an attack on the virus before it gets into too many cells by slowing down its progress to allow the body's T cells to start to recognise the virus and kill it.. However, older people do not generate high levels of T cells and therefore their bodies struggle to mount a defence (a bit like RAFC).

The second generation vaccine I am invested in is built on a platform originally designed to kill cancer cells , the most difficult of all cells to kill, and it has 2 ways to kill the virus, one is aimed at the spike, the other is aimed at killing the neucleoprotein in side the virus which carries all the information which allows the virus to multiply. It is this part of the virus which is common to all Coronaviruses and thereby killing it will work for all past present and future corona-type viruses. It does this by producing a large T call response against the virus at 2 sites so if the spike does mutate there is a second option for the T cells the platform has been developed to induce CD8 T cells and also convert some other cells Th Cells ( T cell Helpers) into CD4 cells which then become capable of killing things which attack the body too.

We know the cancer based platform works because it was trialled with Melanoma patients 6 or 7 years ago .. of the 17 patients dosed (who were all stage 4 and likely to die within 6 -12 months), 15 are still alive and well and there were no side effects (unlike chemotherapy)..

Compared to developing anti-cancer vaccines, a virus vaccine is relatively easy. The manufacturing is cheap, it requires no special refrigeration and is long lasting , as is the protection provided and it induces a a high level of T cells with memory to kill future corona viruses, an especially important factor for older people. Interestingly, now that this initial work has been done, there may be an opportunity to build vaccines for other problematic diseases like Hepatitis and HIV

I invested in this technology 8 years ago and have been substantially down on my investment most of that time, , I am currently in profit because of the Covid interest, but I invested because of the cancer technology. There will be trials in the new year on a vaccine aimed at defeating 4 different cancer types: triple negative breast, ovarian, renal and head & neck cancers. This stuff act quickly and results should start to become available later in 2021 or the 1st half of 2022.

I hope this helps, when you are invested for as long as I have been, the science sort of begins to make sense but there are a load of PhDs who have been working on this and some of what they do is beyond brilliant and way beyond my understanding.
5 days of christmas scrapped on 17:13 - Dec 21 with 1472 viewsboromat

5 days of christmas scrapped on 16:42 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

442, I haven't given any links (if this comment was aimed at me). but there is enough below to find out more , google permitting.

In the simplest terms possible, the existing vaccines are all focused on the Spike protein and are attempting to kill the virus by preventing the spike from joining to the ACE 2 receptor which is common on the surface of many of the bodies cells ( think electrical plugs and sockets). If the spike changes as one of the mutations, the current vaccines may not be able to prevent the spike from "plugging into" the other cells, Ultimately the aim is to give the body's T cells enough time to muster an attack on the virus before it gets into too many cells by slowing down its progress to allow the body's T cells to start to recognise the virus and kill it.. However, older people do not generate high levels of T cells and therefore their bodies struggle to mount a defence (a bit like RAFC).

The second generation vaccine I am invested in is built on a platform originally designed to kill cancer cells , the most difficult of all cells to kill, and it has 2 ways to kill the virus, one is aimed at the spike, the other is aimed at killing the neucleoprotein in side the virus which carries all the information which allows the virus to multiply. It is this part of the virus which is common to all Coronaviruses and thereby killing it will work for all past present and future corona-type viruses. It does this by producing a large T call response against the virus at 2 sites so if the spike does mutate there is a second option for the T cells the platform has been developed to induce CD8 T cells and also convert some other cells Th Cells ( T cell Helpers) into CD4 cells which then become capable of killing things which attack the body too.

We know the cancer based platform works because it was trialled with Melanoma patients 6 or 7 years ago .. of the 17 patients dosed (who were all stage 4 and likely to die within 6 -12 months), 15 are still alive and well and there were no side effects (unlike chemotherapy)..

Compared to developing anti-cancer vaccines, a virus vaccine is relatively easy. The manufacturing is cheap, it requires no special refrigeration and is long lasting , as is the protection provided and it induces a a high level of T cells with memory to kill future corona viruses, an especially important factor for older people. Interestingly, now that this initial work has been done, there may be an opportunity to build vaccines for other problematic diseases like Hepatitis and HIV

I invested in this technology 8 years ago and have been substantially down on my investment most of that time, , I am currently in profit because of the Covid interest, but I invested because of the cancer technology. There will be trials in the new year on a vaccine aimed at defeating 4 different cancer types: triple negative breast, ovarian, renal and head & neck cancers. This stuff act quickly and results should start to become available later in 2021 or the 1st half of 2022.

I hope this helps, when you are invested for as long as I have been, the science sort of begins to make sense but there are a load of PhDs who have been working on this and some of what they do is beyond brilliant and way beyond my understanding.

So it attempts to 'fix' the team as well as the backroom staff. Best case it 'fixes' both and you shoot up the league. Worst case it only solves one but this enables you to survive for another season.

Seriously, thanks for the explanation interesting stuff.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024