Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford 19:45 - Jan 25 with 28807 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Rochdale vs Oxford 25th Jan 2021 19:42
Rochdale take on League One's form team on Tuesday night as Oxford United make the trip north to Spotland. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 11:55 - Jan 27 with 1732 viewsJames1980

Comparing BBM & Robinson the latter has 9 years more experience in managing/coaching a first team. I know this is now but I'd like to think in 9 years time whatever team Brian is managing at least sees that game out and gets the point.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:13 - Jan 27 with 1665 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 11:55 - Jan 27 by James1980

Comparing BBM & Robinson the latter has 9 years more experience in managing/coaching a first team. I know this is now but I'd like to think in 9 years time whatever team Brian is managing at least sees that game out and gets the point.

Or maybe better still go for the throat with 3 points 4 goals scored in an away win
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:14 - Jan 27 with 1663 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 11:55 - Jan 27 by James1980

Oh for crying out loud James!

BBM has been around the game - and professional sport through his father - for a very long time. Please think before posting. By the time any of us have been watching (never mind involved directly) for a few seasons, we'd have a handle on the basics of sound defence, especially defending points in the dying stages. I expect you do by now!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:18 - Jan 27 with 1654 viewsSalegraham

Is there any realist on here, did anybody honestly expect anything different last night ? If Bazuna had done as he should and stayed in his sticks and left it to the defender to clear then this place would be full of praise { then again not]. The current fad of goalies being a sweeper isn't helping, maybe that's an instruction from City /
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:38 - Jan 27 with 1593 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:14 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

Oh for crying out loud James!

BBM has been around the game - and professional sport through his father - for a very long time. Please think before posting. By the time any of us have been watching (never mind involved directly) for a few seasons, we'd have a handle on the basics of sound defence, especially defending points in the dying stages. I expect you do by now!

Surely experience in actually being in the role of management counts for a lot though? I was responding to a post comparing Brian & Karl as I said Robinson has nearly a decade more experience in management. @Jpsdale wrote 'BBM is a good coach, probably much better than Robinson, but Robinsons team had an eye on the basic football objective - win the game. They fouled in midfield when we were on the break, they went long from the back when under pressure, it was about the win.'
Did having a more experienced manager lead to Oxford carrying out the above?
Do we have any MK fans lurking was it evident that Robinson 'got it' right from the start of his managerial career? Or has he perhaps learned from experience?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:41 - Jan 27 with 1582 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:18 - Jan 27 by Salegraham

Is there any realist on here, did anybody honestly expect anything different last night ? If Bazuna had done as he should and stayed in his sticks and left it to the defender to clear then this place would be full of praise { then again not]. The current fad of goalies being a sweeper isn't helping, maybe that's an instruction from City /

I was thinking there will be 2 outcomes at 3-3 we will go 4-3 up and in injury time Oxford will equalise or we won't go ahead and in injury time we will concede and get defeated.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:41 - Jan 27 with 1582 viewsncfc_chalky

Leading up to the game the general impression that I got was that Dale was going to get a bit of a beating,I enjoyed watching the game and thought that Dale was going to clinch it near the end and if that had happened then it maybe would have gone down as one of Dales classic games rather than all of the negatively that it obviously got due to keeper error

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:47 - Jan 27 with 1550 viewsHopwoodblue

It’s OK loaning these players from big clubs but I don’t want them making all their mistakes at the expense of us being relegated. I rather have an average keeper / outfield player who may not be outstanding but does the basics right every week without having to be a world beater, we have enough players on our books who are capable of winning us games by scoring or creating chances. Signing four average defenders and a keeper would probably be enough to enable us to concede less if the just do the basics right. Leave the fancy stuff to those who are capable further up field.
Surely they would not cost more than the wages we are paying our three loanees ?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 12:50]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:52 - Jan 27 with 1515 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:38 - Jan 27 by James1980

Surely experience in actually being in the role of management counts for a lot though? I was responding to a post comparing Brian & Karl as I said Robinson has nearly a decade more experience in management. @Jpsdale wrote 'BBM is a good coach, probably much better than Robinson, but Robinsons team had an eye on the basic football objective - win the game. They fouled in midfield when we were on the break, they went long from the back when under pressure, it was about the win.'
Do we have any MK fans lurking was it evident that Robinson 'got it' right from the start of his managerial career? Or has he perhaps learned from experience?

I should've known better...

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:59 - Jan 27 with 1491 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:52 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

I should've known better...

Don't be like that. If BBM's lack of managerial experience, is not a factor in what we have seen. Does that mean perhaps he isn't cut out for being a head coach/first team manager and keeping us up in 2019 was simply because he was the right person at that time?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 13:00 - Jan 27 with 1485 viewsAtThePeake

He will have had more investment, but Robinson finished 5th in his first two seasons as a manager in L1 and then got MK promoted in his third. I don't think they'd have managed that without nailing down some of those basics.

The thing is, Barry-Murphy CAN get that right, we all saw it in his first couple of months in charge. In an ideal world, I wouldn't want us to play like we did in those couple of months every week, but if it's the difference between winning and losing and staying up and being relegated then I definitely would.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 13:00 - Jan 27 with 1478 viewsTVOS1907

Overthinking it again, James.

I know we can all come up with examples to prove our point (which I'm just about to do), but when Keith Hill took over as manager in 2006, his first five games were against teams managed by Martin Allen, Denis Smith, Steve Evans, Stuart Watkiss and Paul Lambert.

We lost 2-1 to MK, but drew 2-2 with Wrexham and then thrashed both Boston and Grimsby 4-0. After that, we gained a 1-1 draw at Wycombe.

Look up the managerial careers of all those (except Watkiss) and compare them to Hill who, at the time, was a fortnight in position.

It sort of blows your argument away.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 13:05 - Jan 27 with 1458 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:59 - Jan 27 by James1980

Don't be like that. If BBM's lack of managerial experience, is not a factor in what we have seen. Does that mean perhaps he isn't cut out for being a head coach/first team manager and keeping us up in 2019 was simply because he was the right person at that time?

I'm trying to take your point seriously, but do you seriously think i've not factored BBM's relative experience into account? The point is - he has in relative terms a huge amount of experience in the game. He didn't start thinking about it the day he was appointed manager, which is now nearly two years ago btw

[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 13:06]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:16 - Jan 27 with 1268 viewsNorthernDale

What worries me is that BBM saying our defensive structure is getting better despite conceding something like 21 goals in the last 7 games, which worries me in that if he thinks conceding 21 goals is getting better defensively, is he in denial or deluded in his statement. I may have misheard him, but did he say something about the players developing and getting better, which sounds like a youth coach response, were the results do not matter, rather then a league manager.

He is fortunate that he is at the Dale, who seem to have the patience and fortitude to put up with poor runs and not react with the sacking of the manager, unlike other teams. I feel that his record at any other club would have seen him sacked before now, but even so a defeat at Bristol on Saturday must raise questions, in that they are the type of team we need to be taking points off.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:42 - Jan 27 with 1210 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 13:05 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

I'm trying to take your point seriously, but do you seriously think i've not factored BBM's relative experience into account? The point is - he has in relative terms a huge amount of experience in the game. He didn't start thinking about it the day he was appointed manager, which is now nearly two years ago btw

[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 13:06]

All I'm throwing out for debate is if his lack of experience could be a factor? TVOS you are right in overthinking it is a failing of mine and im having therapy because of it . You are also right Hill's lack of experience didn't hamper him although I would add he is quite a unique character.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 17:50]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:47 - Jan 27 with 1200 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 07:06 - Jan 27 by nordenblue

"Our defensive structure is improving every game" are you sure Brian, the goals against would kind of disagree with you.

I think our defensive structure is better (ie we defend higher up, wide m/f cover their full back better, we aren't cut open down the middle as much) - what we don't have is height to defend corners, free kicks etc which has been debated at length and individual mistakes cost - remember Luke's pen, but we didn't viscerally criticise him.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:57 - Jan 27 with 1179 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:47 - Jan 27 by tony_roch975

I think our defensive structure is better (ie we defend higher up, wide m/f cover their full back better, we aren't cut open down the middle as much) - what we don't have is height to defend corners, free kicks etc which has been debated at length and individual mistakes cost - remember Luke's pen, but we didn't viscerally criticise him.

You cant possibly have a better "defensive structure" if well you are leaking goals at such an alarming rate,we obviously can't do the basics of defending, regardless of other areas of the pitch,defenders and keeper protect our goal its clearly not happening.

Id say a decent structure for a defense should surely start with your back 4/5 or whatever we decide to play including keeper, we've fannied about with the ball at the back for what seems like an eternity with lovely possession stats whilst getting turned over easily far too regularly. We are so easy to score against its school boy level laughable.

Its crying out for a Peter Clarke type player and has been for a long time
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:12 - Jan 27 with 1145 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:47 - Jan 27 by tony_roch975

Our structure is influenced by the way the defenders are told to/want to play. We could have height, cover from other positions and Alan Reeves making a return to the back four but it won’t make a blind bit of difference unless the focus is on nothing but defending and keeping a clean sheet.

The waters are being muddied, this can be seen by statements which mention how they focus on all aspects of their game all the time when, right now, how defenders keep the ball or start attacks really is irrelevant.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 16:27]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:21 - Jan 27 with 1126 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:12 - Jan 27 by 442Dale

Our structure is influenced by the way the defenders are told to/want to play. We could have height, cover from other positions and Alan Reeves making a return to the back four but it won’t make a blind bit of difference unless the focus is on nothing but defending and keeping a clean sheet.

The waters are being muddied, this can be seen by statements which mention how they focus on all aspects of their game all the time when, right now, how defenders keep the ball or start attacks really is irrelevant.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 16:27]

Very much so, Hilly got obsessed too towards the end of his time here trying to play a keeper who could ping a ball like Pirlo rather than actually stop a ball from going in our net, over complicating a simple game
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:23 - Jan 27 with 1126 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:21 - Jan 27 by nordenblue

Very much so, Hilly got obsessed too towards the end of his time here trying to play a keeper who could ping a ball like Pirlo rather than actually stop a ball from going in our net, over complicating a simple game

Somewhat ironic that he’s now currently got a defence which is marshalled by a 39 year old Peter Clarke.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 16:39 - Jan 27 with 1083 viewsfinberty

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 12:47 - Jan 27 by Hopwoodblue

It’s OK loaning these players from big clubs but I don’t want them making all their mistakes at the expense of us being relegated. I rather have an average keeper / outfield player who may not be outstanding but does the basics right every week without having to be a world beater, we have enough players on our books who are capable of winning us games by scoring or creating chances. Signing four average defenders and a keeper would probably be enough to enable us to concede less if the just do the basics right. Leave the fancy stuff to those who are capable further up field.
Surely they would not cost more than the wages we are paying our three loanees ?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 12:50]

I agree with this, and the earlier one about the possibility of having to operate under 'instruction' from City if we want their players.

The day when I find out I am supporting what amounts to a nursery club or a feeder club for bigger fish is the day when I find I have other things to do at 3pm on a Saturday.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 17:40 - Jan 27 with 1006 viewsSunningDale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 15:42 - Jan 27 by James1980

All I'm throwing out for debate is if his lack of experience could be a factor? TVOS you are right in overthinking it is a failing of mine and im having therapy because of it . You are also right Hill's lack of experience didn't hamper him although I would add he is quite a unique character.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 17:50]

Hey pal, I might not always agree with what you say but I've been unnecessarily hard on you on here. It's been out of order and I apologise.

Poll: Should James1980 stop posting pointless polls that have been done to death?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 17:49 - Jan 27 with 987 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:02 - Jan 26 by RippDale

It's so blatantly obvious that we don't possess players who can play the way BBM wants to play. The fans see it, opposing managers see it, opposition commentators see it but our manager can't. Yet we all persevere with the same old mistakes every week. Something has to give but I'm not sure what?

BBM " I think we are in a brilliant place.....Im not trying to spin any propaganda"

So, he thinks we are doing well....".and performances are consistently getting better...."
Really, really?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 17:55 - Jan 27 with 968 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 17:40 - Jan 27 by SunningDale

Hey pal, I might not always agree with what you say but I've been unnecessarily hard on you on here. It's been out of order and I apologise.

Thank you SD 🙂

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 18:03 - Jan 27 with 935 viewsrichfoad32

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 17:49 - Jan 27 by Yorkshire_Dale

BBM " I think we are in a brilliant place.....Im not trying to spin any propaganda"

So, he thinks we are doing well....".and performances are consistently getting better...."
Really, really?

Wouldn't you say the performances have been better lately, than in the vast majority of games leading up to the New Year? The same? Worse? It's all subjective I guess.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024