Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If not BBM then who 18:03 - Mar 6 with 22989 viewsSheffield_dale

After watching that I've cracked open a second bottle of wine 😋

I've been supportive of BBM, knowing/understanding the players and budget he is working with.

For the record I expected us to be where we are. What I didn't expect is the lack of fight, lack of goals and lack of shape. It does seem like the end, regrettably.

Some people have suggested Cowley/Holloway/Bowyer et al. Realistically there is no chance we can afford them.

More likely it will be an internal appointment (McNulty/McShane) or a non league manager.

Would Wilbraham return to North West for a crack?

Realistically, who do you reckon could:

1. Save our season
2. Get us promoted should relegation happen
If not BBM then who on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 2649 viewsRippDale

If not BBM then who on 11:28 - Mar 7 by 442Dale

Would argue there are too many people in the game obsessed with a “philosophy” and think they’re impressing supporters and the football world with talk about it. It’s yet more modern day waffle that can be used as a cover for not actually getting a team on the pitch that entertains now and again and wins some matches.

These were the buzz words that the FA coaches used to deliver in their mind numbingly dull sessions they used for the Academy coaches years ago. I'm sure nothing has changed and we now have to suffer academy style football week in and week out
If not BBM then who on 11:59 - Mar 7 with 2602 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 11:21 - Mar 7 by dale5758

some names ( Not really sure who is available)
Sporting director

john sheridan
danny Wilson
Nigel adkins
bbm( kicked upstairs)too good to be sacked/booted out

John Sheridan is manager of Swindon.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

If not BBM then who on 12:01 - Mar 7 with 2589 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 11:02 - Mar 7 by James1980

The successful candidate will work closely with the Board and senior staff to create and implement a football philosophy that truly reflects the ethos and culture of the Club. The provision of this steadying, long-term strategic path will ensure that the best of the Club’s traditions are built upon whilst protecting against reactive short-term measures.

From the Sporting Director job description. What stands out to me is 'create and implement a football philosophy.'
Does this mean a problem has been identified with our current philosophy?

Please don't just dismiss this as overthinking. I am of the opinion this is a point worthy of debate.

Teams and clubs can have a philosophy, but it needs to be one that works, produces largely positive results, helps to develop players and, most importantly in my book, entertains those who pay to watch it.

What we have at the moment isn't doing any of those things.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

If not BBM then who on 12:11 - Mar 7 with 2566 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 11:28 - Mar 7 by 442Dale

Would argue there are too many people in the game obsessed with a “philosophy” and think they’re impressing supporters and the football world with talk about it. It’s yet more modern day waffle that can be used as a cover for not actually getting a team on the pitch that entertains now and again and wins some matches.

Yes I think you are right. Some have lost sight that this is basically part of the entertainment industry. If people aren't entertained then the inevitable will happen. Although sport does have its loyal following.

Again from the SD job description

the best of the Club’s traditions are built upon whilst protecting against reactive short-term measures.

Are the club not sacking BBM because they see it as a 'reactive short term measure'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

If not BBM then who on 12:17 - Mar 7 with 2532 viewsjudd

If not BBM then who on 12:11 - Mar 7 by James1980

Yes I think you are right. Some have lost sight that this is basically part of the entertainment industry. If people aren't entertained then the inevitable will happen. Although sport does have its loyal following.

the best of the Club’s traditions are built upon whilst protecting against reactive short-term measures.

Are the club not sacking BBM because they see it as a 'reactive short term measure'

You have made some excellent points, James.

The reactive short term measures remind me of the no knee jerk reactions statement the week before Keith Hill was sacked.

Poll: What is it to be then?

If not BBM then who on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 2529 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 12:11 - Mar 7 by James1980

If you take the second point at face value, that'd assume the first was also being followed

But instead of building on the best of the Club's traditions, some very important ones have recently been destroyed (well-documented on here)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

If not BBM then who on 13:00 - Mar 7 with 2433 views442Dale

If not BBM then who on 11:54 - Mar 7 by RippDale

These were the buzz words that the FA coaches used to deliver in their mind numbingly dull sessions they used for the Academy coaches years ago. I'm sure nothing has changed and we now have to suffer academy style football week in and week out

That’s very true and it exists in all walks of life these days to little or no benefit. Buzz words and phrases parroted by people who think they’re ahead of the game. Feeble sellout behaviour.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If not BBM then who on 14:36 - Mar 7 with 2308 viewsNinco

I would give Parkin another go. He is out of work I believe and His football while not always successful was more entertaining than the current rubbish.
Login to get fewer ads

If not BBM then who on 14:50 - Mar 7 with 2280 viewsTomRAFC

If not BBM then who on 14:36 - Mar 7 by Ninco

I would give Parkin another go. He is out of work I believe and His football while not always successful was more entertaining than the current rubbish.

Steve Parkin was superb at the Trust curry night. He said he doesn't think management is for him anymore but he's still coaching. He said going to Barnsley was the wrong decision and it felt like a wound I didn't know I had began to heal... Or maybe I was just pissed and nostalgic.

Side note, the food was also excellent but I've come to expect that at Pavillion.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

If not BBM then who on 14:55 - Mar 7 with 2259 viewsEllDale

I’m quite reconciled now to the fact that a change won’t happen this season.
If not BBM then who on 15:27 - Mar 7 with 2205 viewsSheffield_dale

If not BBM then who on 14:50 - Mar 7 by TomRAFC

Steve Parkin was superb at the Trust curry night. He said he doesn't think management is for him anymore but he's still coaching. He said going to Barnsley was the wrong decision and it felt like a wound I didn't know I had began to heal... Or maybe I was just pissed and nostalgic.

Side note, the food was also excellent but I've come to expect that at Pavillion.

As a new trust member when is the next curry night!? No establishment in Sheffield comes close to Pavilion
If not BBM then who on 21:36 - Mar 7 with 2030 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 12:17 - Mar 7 by judd

You have made some excellent points, James.

The reactive short term measures remind me of the no knee jerk reactions statement the week before Keith Hill was sacked.

I expect there will be no reactions so long as Brian toes the line and doesn't tell people any 'home truths'

If not BBM then who on 21:47 - Mar 7 with 2002 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 21:36 - Mar 7 by James1980

I expect there will be no reactions so long as Brian toes the line and doesn't tell people any 'home truths'

He doesn't have any 'home' truths to hand, although he might have summat to say about playing away?

If not BBM then who on 22:01 - Mar 7 with 1969 viewsAtThePeake

Just a point on the youth thing. Lincoln, who are very much in the promotion hunt in 3rd place with two games in hand on the leaders, have had an average age of just 23.0 years in their youngest line-up this season, younger than any of ours or indeed any other team in the division. They have five loanees in their squad and just one player above the age of 28.

2nd placed Peterborough have had a younger average age of their starting XI in their draw at MK in December the we have fielded at any point this season. They only have two players in their squad that are over the age of 26.

By contrast, we have 6 players in our squad aged 30 and above.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/durchschnittsalter/wettbewerb/GB3

It's not so much about experience as it is about quality, mentality, intelligence, game management, playing a system that suits the players we have, working on the small gains etc etc. The teams at the top of the table are showing that you don't necessarily need bags of experience to succeed in L1, that's not the issue here.

Tangled up in blue.

If not BBM then who on 22:32 - Mar 7 with 1893 viewsSalegraham

If not BBM then who on 22:01 - Mar 7 by AtThePeake

Just a point on the youth thing. Lincoln, who are very much in the promotion hunt in 3rd place with two games in hand on the leaders, have had an average age of just 23.0 years in their youngest line-up this season, younger than any of ours or indeed any other team in the division. They have five loanees in their squad and just one player above the age of 28.

2nd placed Peterborough have had a younger average age of their starting XI in their draw at MK in December the we have fielded at any point this season. They only have two players in their squad that are over the age of 26.

By contrast, we have 6 players in our squad aged 30 and above.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/durchschnittsalter/wettbewerb/GB3

It's not so much about experience as it is about quality, mentality, intelligence, game management, playing a system that suits the players we have, working on the small gains etc etc. The teams at the top of the table are showing that you don't necessarily need bags of experience to succeed in L1, that's not the issue here.

Add on to that Barnsley have the youngest squadron the championship and look at the run there on
If not BBM then who on 22:42 - Mar 7 with 1866 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 21:47 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

He doesn't have any 'home' truths to hand, although he might have summat to say about playing away?

I was referring to Hill's comment after the Luton game.

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 7 with 1844 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 22:42 - Mar 7 by James1980

I was referring to Hill's comment after the Luton game.

Its 'tows the line', btw

If not BBM then who on 02:22 - Mar 8 with 1756 viewsoddjob007

I’d love Nigel Adkins, he’s got a personality that would lift the place and has had proved success but whether or not that’s realistic I’ve got no idea. Sometimes these managers are just desperate to get back into football.... you’d have to be pretty desperate to come to us mind!

Imagine it would be Tony Ellis initially, and if that doesn’t work over a couple of games, someone who is available and cheap to the end of the season. It’s been said on this thread about Jim Gannon, wouldn’t be surprised to see him in some position (just a hunch, based on zero information.)

As for those wanting Eddie Howe... he’s being linked with Celtic and Newcastle and wasn’t long ago touted as a future Man U, Liverpool and England manager. Not sure bottom of league 1 Rochdale will take his interest somehow(e).
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 2:25]
If not BBM then who on 06:02 - Mar 8 with 1716 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

Its 'tows the line', btw

Thank you for taking your time to correct me .

[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 6:30]

If not BBM then who on 06:47 - Mar 8 with 1693 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 06:02 - Mar 8 by James1980

Thank you for taking your time to correct me .

[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 6:30]

Its not grammar, James, but similar to a mondegreen (misheard lyrics)

There was a classic by tazzy on here, when calling a player "a pre-Madonna"

If not BBM then who on 07:19 - Mar 8 with 1675 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 06:47 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

Its not grammar, James, but similar to a mondegreen (misheard lyrics)

There was a classic by tazzy on here, when calling a player "a pre-Madonna"

Is that music prior to the 1980s?

If not BBM then who on 09:50 - Mar 8 with 1570 viewsBucketBstard

Definitely not McNumpty...get him as far away from this club as possible.
As for McShane, no idea what he is like , but his defending in last two games has been as bad as McNumpty's so doesnt fill me with confidence.
I'm not sure who is available but they must have some experience
If not BBM then who on 10:16 - Mar 8 with 1509 viewsFrog

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

Its 'tows the line', btw

It's it's and toe, or have I been whooshed? (haven't read the full thread)
If not BBM then who on 10:28 - Mar 8 with 1490 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 10:16 - Mar 8 by Frog

It's it's and toe, or have I been whooshed? (haven't read the full thread)

No, you're just wrong on both counts

If not BBM then who on 10:35 - Mar 8 with 1475 views49thseason

"Toe the line" is an idiomatic expression meaning either to conform to a rule or standard, or to stand poised at the starting line in a foot race. Other phrases which were once used in the early 1800s and have the same meaning were toe the mark and toe the plank. Wikipedia

"Toe the line" is often misspelled "tow the line", substituting a familiar verb "tow" for the unfamiliar verbal use of "toe." "Tow" does not accord with any of the proposed etymologies, so "tow the line" is a linguistic eggcorn.

Eggcorn..a word or phrase that results from a mishearing or misinterpretation of another, an element of the original being substituted for one which sounds very similar (e.g. tow the line instead of toe the line ).
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 10:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024