Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If not BBM then who 18:03 - Mar 6 with 22990 viewsSheffield_dale

After watching that I've cracked open a second bottle of wine 😋

I've been supportive of BBM, knowing/understanding the players and budget he is working with.

For the record I expected us to be where we are. What I didn't expect is the lack of fight, lack of goals and lack of shape. It does seem like the end, regrettably.

Some people have suggested Cowley/Holloway/Bowyer et al. Realistically there is no chance we can afford them.

More likely it will be an internal appointment (McNulty/McShane) or a non league manager.

Would Wilbraham return to North West for a crack?

Realistically, who do you reckon could:

1. Save our season
2. Get us promoted should relegation happen
If not BBM then who on 20:29 - Mar 6 with 2879 viewsYouTubeDale

If not BBM then who on 20:21 - Mar 6 by Frog

Holloway for me but I don't think for one minute we could afford him. It would be a caretaker from within the club again.

Good shout, with little maintenance needed at the moment one of our caretakers could fill in. Not too expensive an option.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

If not BBM then who on 20:39 - Mar 6 with 2784 viewsmilnrowblue

If not BBM then who on 19:23 - Mar 6 by milnrowblue

I’d probably be inclined to give him a crack at promotion after relegation, much like a scaled down version of Wilder at Sheff United.

He does have some pedigree as a manager, and I feel with his style of play in League Two we could suffocate teams with fitter, younger squad.

It’s either pull the trigger now or stick with him in League Two. To be honest, I’d take relegation now if you could promise me a title chasing League Two season.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 19:25]

I appear to have got this one wrong with the 3 downvotes, but I stand by what I’ve said.

We’re appear, boardroom downwards, to be a team in transition. I believe we’ve no hope should a new manager come or not, so why not give BBM the time to build and new team and go for it. We DID have an attacking, expansive play under him in the early days which my of been cut off by the relegation battle (I’m not shifting any blame of relegation from him) so why not give him a chance in a lower league? If it doesn’t work out, we get an experienced head in to hopefully get us back into League One.
If not BBM then who on 20:45 - Mar 6 with 2749 viewsDalenet

If not BBM then who on 20:39 - Mar 6 by milnrowblue

I appear to have got this one wrong with the 3 downvotes, but I stand by what I’ve said.

We’re appear, boardroom downwards, to be a team in transition. I believe we’ve no hope should a new manager come or not, so why not give BBM the time to build and new team and go for it. We DID have an attacking, expansive play under him in the early days which my of been cut off by the relegation battle (I’m not shifting any blame of relegation from him) so why not give him a chance in a lower league? If it doesn’t work out, we get an experienced head in to hopefully get us back into League One.

We are not in transition though ....more freefall. I am not convinced we will bounce back. Action has to be taken to fight now

The captain of a ship is supposed to be the last man off when their vessel is sinking. Ours jumped ship just as it hit the iceberg. He had no faith
If not BBM then who on 20:56 - Mar 6 with 2690 views442Dale

The argument against this is the current feeling amongst so many of the fanbase. At the end of the day, they are more vital to the club than a manager or a philosophy.

We’ve never really had that expansive way of playing as it has always been so measured in its approach. The deviations from that were when he took over (solid, use the ball efficiently in forward positions to get a goal and then defend as a team) or in the ‘goals everywhere’ either side of Christmas when we struggled to do the basics defensively yet did at least look to go at teams more quickly (Charlton away). That’s when we were expansive I guess, but it was then messed with as Lund went too far forward when what needed sorting was the back four and team defending in our own half.

Apart from keeping the ball in our own half and utilising the keeper, would still argue that we haven’t even got an identity in terms of how we attack and win games. Yet two years ago we did. It’s been overthought with far too much emphasis on performances - see the post match interview again - when in fact getting results leads to performances improving as players become more confident.

After two years that we discuss what we actually do well is the most disappointing thing, because it never needed to be like this. Reading statements from the board using words like “philosophy” are insulting to the intelligence of fans, because for there to be one it needs to be one that’s proven to be working. It’d be like a bus driver whose philosophy is only to pick passengers up when it’s raining.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If not BBM then who on 21:00 - Mar 6 with 2671 viewsTomRAFC

I suppose the reason I wouldn't want to give BBM the chance to rebuild is because I haven't got any evidence that he is a good enough manager for that task.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

If not BBM then who on 21:01 - Mar 6 with 2664 viewsFrog

If not BBM then who on 19:23 - Mar 6 by milnrowblue

I’d probably be inclined to give him a crack at promotion after relegation, much like a scaled down version of Wilder at Sheff United.

He does have some pedigree as a manager, and I feel with his style of play in League Two we could suffocate teams with fitter, younger squad.

It’s either pull the trigger now or stick with him in League Two. To be honest, I’d take relegation now if you could promise me a title chasing League Two season.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 19:25]

That thought is horrific. He's lost the plot and it hasn't come back in 16 games, what makes you think it ever will?
If not BBM then who on 21:48 - Mar 6 with 2531 viewsYouTubeDale

To his credit BBM has added steel to the midfield bringing in O'Connell but the back door is still left wide open particularly defending headers. Where is Calvin Andrew? Bazunu's kicking is pathetic. He CANNOT measure his distances and wastes so many opportunities. It's been going on all season so the manager gets the blame. When the ball is kicked to our furthest attacker he lacks support. Again happening all season and therefore manager to blame. Our corner kicks fail to get past the first man, again, season long problem still not sorted hence the manager's fault.
I am talking myself into a BBM out fan...Tuesday against Shrewsbury is a massive test for BBM. What will he show us?

If not BBM then who on 22:02 - Mar 6 with 2474 viewsjoecooke

No concept of defending

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Login to get fewer ads

If not BBM then who on 22:14 - Mar 6 with 2421 viewsJames1980

Whilst announcing the forum itself wss not a mistake. Perhaps the wording in the announcement was, by mentioning BBM and Riley by name the board have sort of backed themselves into a corner and won't change until the forum has happened. Whereas if they had been vague and just referred to 'the management team' the forum could have been an opportunity to introduce a new management team to fans.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 6 with 2326 viewsSandyman

If not BBM then who on 22:14 - Mar 6 by James1980

Whilst announcing the forum itself wss not a mistake. Perhaps the wording in the announcement was, by mentioning BBM and Riley by name the board have sort of backed themselves into a corner and won't change until the forum has happened. Whereas if they had been vague and just referred to 'the management team' the forum could have been an opportunity to introduce a new management team to fans.

Sorry James, I think you've over-thought this again. Announcing "management team" instead of naming the manager and assistant would immediately arouse suspicion.
As long as the holders of those positions aren't at the forum as their employment here has ended, I'll be content.
If not BBM then who on 23:22 - Mar 6 with 2267 viewsShun

If not BBM then who on 20:21 - Mar 6 by Frog

Holloway for me but I don't think for one minute we could afford him. It would be a caretaker from within the club again.

Curious why you think we couldn't afford Holloway. I think some of the names banded about on here are fantastical but if we can't afford a manager who was just sacked from a cash-strapped club at the very foot of the football pyramid who've been in none league for the past few years, then I don't know who we could afford. Having said that, I wouldn't want him.
If not BBM then who on 23:47 - Mar 6 with 2232 viewsFrog

Maybe I'm wrong but we've never splashed out an a "well known" manager that I can remember. John Hollins maybe the most famous one in recent years. Well, recent if you're a certain age.
If not BBM then who on 02:50 - Mar 7 with 2148 viewsCrede_Sign0

If not BBM then who on 19:29 - Mar 6 by Sheffield_dale

I'll tentatively throw Jim Gannon out there 🤷‍♂️

Gannon’s Twitter feed has been interesting - recently mentioning he’s been busy researching his record on how well he has utilised youth players/young talent in successful first teams. Research for a book perhaps, or maybe he’s gathering some killer facts for an imminent interview....
I think he could work.
But any motivated and new voice will do. And maybe move BBM into the mentioned Director of Football role - upstairs as it were, and away from the heat
We have to liven ourselves up again for the run in, and unfortunately that just won’t happen as things stand.
2 crummy fixtures out of the way - let’s twist now and pray for the bounce
If not BBM then who on 05:53 - Mar 7 with 2100 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 19:29 - Mar 6 by Sheffield_dale

I'll tentatively throw Jim Gannon out there 🤷‍♂️

I, for one, wouldn't be averse to Jim Gannon

In some ways Dale's nemesis, i've just read his wiki page; makes for interesting reading

His league title with Dundalk would indicate he'd know how to manage the current Irish contingent whilst they're at Dale, too...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 7:24]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

If not BBM then who on 06:23 - Mar 7 with 2073 viewsNewbury_Dale

Holloway was a disaster at Grimsby and is on a long losing run now.
If not BBM then who on 06:49 - Mar 7 with 2061 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 6 by Sandyman

Sorry James, I think you've over-thought this again. Announcing "management team" instead of naming the manager and assistant would immediately arouse suspicion.
As long as the holders of those positions aren't at the forum as their employment here has ended, I'll be content.

Maybe I have, I am just of the opinion that the vote of confidence coupled with announcing the forum sends out the message that the board are sticking by their man. Although that was prior to another 3 defeats.

If not BBM then who on 06:58 - Mar 7 with 2036 viewspioneer

If not BBM then who on 05:53 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

In some ways Dale's nemesis, i've just read his wiki page; makes for interesting reading

His league title with Dundalk would indicate he'd know how to manage the current Irish contingent whilst they're at Dale, too...

well let him go and manage in Ireland....we already have more irish players in the squad than the average irish national team. We need a manager who will sign players based on their abilities and the needs of the team.

I’ll count to ten.
If not BBM then who on 08:25 - Mar 7 with 1949 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 05:53 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

Might he have applied for the Sporting Director role.

If not BBM then who on 09:08 - Mar 7 with 1897 viewssweetcorn

Did I really just see someone suggest Eddie howe?

Don't care who it is, but BBM has to go, Hill was sacked for less.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

If not BBM then who on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 1757 viewsYouTubeDale

Phone rings..."Brian, have you got a minute? "

If not BBM then who on 10:24 - Mar 7 with 1735 viewsBillyRudd

Logic would dictate that if the axe is to fall then it needs to be now, given there are only thirteen games to go. Ideally it should have been to benefit from the January window, but that would have compromised the "turn around of talent" agenda they know they can control with BBM. After that the beginning of the March fixtures against the high flyers where little was expected in the way of points and would have given a new manager time to assess.
I personally don,t think the axe is going to fall as I have had my eyes opened on this forum by the suggestion that BBM,s controllability by the board is the primary consideration above both the style of football and ultimately the results.
Given the appointments made and touted recently, and the little remaining on BBM,s contract I cannot see cost being the issue here.
Who knows, perhaps tentative approaches have been made and the interest has been underwhelming!
My worst fear (I am already resigned to Lg2) is that it is their desired intention to stick with BBM for next season in Lg2. If I was on the board now I would be contemplating the following...
Massively reduced revenue for all the known reasons....
An as yet unknown reduction in attendances next year....
As a consequence of which there is even less chance of the type of player being available to play the type of football that BBM is fixated to. It is a type of football that I find increasingly hard to justify paying to watch. Even if it was a winning formulae, which clearly it is not, I am not sure I would want to pay money to see it.
If this persisted in Lg2 allied with the post match interviews, the atmosphere would quickly become toxic at Spotland if the strength of feeling on this forum is at all indicative.
The only ones at Spotland next season are going to be the committed diehards. They are not stupid and instinctively know that matters have,nt been stable in the boardroom for a long time now and thus have raised fears for the future. They won,t hold back in the event of a similar season in Lg2. The board might think "so what" but apart from gate money there are sponsors feelings to be considered, which already won,t be enamoured to Lg2
It has aleady been pointed out on here that nurturing talent for sale cannot be done wholesale as they need a reasonable team to progess and provide a shop window with seasoned professionals around them, in order to shine. For me that was the most disappointing aspect of the January window when players for the future were brought in, when it was crying out for a couple of Ethan Ebanks Landell type players with massive experience, not least in the position we are now stuck in.
All this is now beginning to smack of the "managed relegation" scenario aka the boards actions and BBM,s after match musings. Sadly this will undo practically all of Hills legacy in terms of increased attendances and ability to attract sponsers and players and yes even the young talent they plan on profiting on as the Lg2 shop window is not as attractive as Lg1 by far.
I have said before that there are seemingly matters ongoing at the club that we on this forum are not aware of but I personally don,t think that includes a last roll of the dice new manager.
Interesting times.
ps. Call me a deluded fool but I saw things at Sunderland which give me a tiny bit of hope for Tuesday night.
Up the Dale
If not BBM then who on 11:02 - Mar 7 with 1652 viewsYouTubeDale

Yes there is still hope but that hope mostly comes down to the action of the manager. BBM needs to make quite a few tweeks, for example putting the ball into the box quicker instead of manufacturing the perfect incision, by which time we lose the ball and the opportunity is missed. Making our final substitute sooner so they have more time to affect the game, etc, etc.
The one person who can make the most impact on our club is the manager of Rochdale AFC, whoever that is. As a collective we need to make sure that we have the correct manager.

If not BBM then who on 11:02 - Mar 7 with 1652 viewsJames1980

The successful candidate will work closely with the Board and senior staff to create and implement a football philosophy that truly reflects the ethos and culture of the Club. The provision of this steadying, long-term strategic path will ensure that the best of the Club’s traditions are built upon whilst protecting against reactive short-term measures.

From the Sporting Director job description. What stands out to me is 'create and implement a football philosophy.'
Does this mean a problem has been identified with our current philosophy?

Please don't just dismiss this as overthinking. I am of the opinion this is a point worthy of debate.

If not BBM then who on 11:21 - Mar 7 with 1606 viewsdale5758

some names ( Not really sure who is available)
Sporting director

john sheridan
danny Wilson
Nigel adkins
bbm( kicked upstairs)too good to be sacked/booted out

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

If not BBM then who on 11:28 - Mar 7 with 1581 views442Dale

If not BBM then who on 11:02 - Mar 7 by James1980

The successful candidate will work closely with the Board and senior staff to create and implement a football philosophy that truly reflects the ethos and culture of the Club. The provision of this steadying, long-term strategic path will ensure that the best of the Club’s traditions are built upon whilst protecting against reactive short-term measures.

From the Sporting Director job description. What stands out to me is 'create and implement a football philosophy.'
Does this mean a problem has been identified with our current philosophy?

Please don't just dismiss this as overthinking. I am of the opinion this is a point worthy of debate.

Would argue there are too many people in the game obsessed with a “philosophy” and think they’re impressing supporters and the football world with talk about it. It’s yet more modern day waffle that can be used as a cover for not actually getting a team on the pitch that entertains now and again and wins some matches.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024