Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If not BBM then who 18:03 - Mar 6 with 22988 viewsSheffield_dale

After watching that I've cracked open a second bottle of wine 😋

I've been supportive of BBM, knowing/understanding the players and budget he is working with.

For the record I expected us to be where we are. What I didn't expect is the lack of fight, lack of goals and lack of shape. It does seem like the end, regrettably.

Some people have suggested Cowley/Holloway/Bowyer et al. Realistically there is no chance we can afford them.

More likely it will be an internal appointment (McNulty/McShane) or a non league manager.

Would Wilbraham return to North West for a crack?

Realistically, who do you reckon could:

1. Save our season
2. Get us promoted should relegation happen
If not BBM then who on 21:58 - Mar 8 with 3161 views49thseason

If not BBM then who on 18:11 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

You may resort to google, but i've no need, because the word "tow" - as with many other words - has been adapted over centuries and its use in the navy was as i've said, even if it's no longer used in that way

There are countless examples of words being adapted over time in a similar fashion

But there are Naval references to "Toeing the line " back to the 1730's and none for towing the line.
You are correct that the phrase "toeing" has a Naval history as I imagine does "Towing" but wrong in the intent and spelling of the phrase. You use a towrope to pull a car or maybe a ship (but more likely a hawser for a ship). Towing is not a word that has been adapted over time, toeing and towing are 2 different words with entirely different meanings which are both used for their different purposes. Nothing has been adapted, Both words are still used in their original contexts Toeing the line being the acceptance of authority or instruction, Towing being the act of pulling something with a rope or chain. "My car battery is flat can you give me a tow" would involve pulling
"Will your MP toe the party line or not" will he vote as instructed.
Geddit?
If not BBM then who on 22:06 - Mar 8 with 3116 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 21:58 - Mar 8 by 49thseason

But there are Naval references to "Toeing the line " back to the 1730's and none for towing the line.
You are correct that the phrase "toeing" has a Naval history as I imagine does "Towing" but wrong in the intent and spelling of the phrase. You use a towrope to pull a car or maybe a ship (but more likely a hawser for a ship). Towing is not a word that has been adapted over time, toeing and towing are 2 different words with entirely different meanings which are both used for their different purposes. Nothing has been adapted, Both words are still used in their original contexts Toeing the line being the acceptance of authority or instruction, Towing being the act of pulling something with a rope or chain. "My car battery is flat can you give me a tow" would involve pulling
"Will your MP toe the party line or not" will he vote as instructed.
Geddit?

I don't need to "Geddit?"

I've read all of the stuff on google too, it's missing elements of naval tradition which i've learnt about from someone with first-hand experience; where "towing the line" as a group of men hauling on ropes was common parlance

It's not my problem that's not included on google, except to say it's not the fount of all knowledge you take it for

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

If not BBM then who on 22:30 - Mar 8 with 3054 viewstony_roch975

If not BBM then who on 21:48 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

I know i'm not wrong, and i've got a very personal family reason (to do with my father, who was in the navy) for knowing that, which i'm not going to go into detail over

You chose to personalise this debate, in your typical small-minded way, when it was just fine as it was - a debate. Have a think about that...

And whilst you're at it:

"you just can't admit to being wrong ever can you"

Where's the capitalisation at the beginning, or the question mark at the end?

You can consider yourself fortunate i responded at all...

when you're in a hole DA... stop digging

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

If not BBM then who on 22:40 - Mar 8 with 3003 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 22:30 - Mar 8 by tony_roch975

when you're in a hole DA... stop digging

You've added nothing significant, and can resort only to cliches

If i were in a hole, i'd still be looking down on you

If not BBM then who on 22:52 - Mar 8 with 2963 viewsJames1980

Chaps can I be so bold as to bring it back to my the comment I made that caused this discussion. I'm of the opinion Hill got his marching orders in part because of the 'home truths' he refers to in his post match interview after the Luton game.
Whether he would have an justification in doing so or not I don't expect BBM would do the same and because he follows the party line is likely to stay till his contract expires at least.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

If not BBM then who on 23:18 - Mar 8 with 2937 views_Windydale

From the lows of being the sh1ttest team currently in the league.

There spring new opportunities. To dig up from the grave - Ufo's 1970's hit 'rock bottom'

...guitar..

If not BBM then who on 23:28 - Mar 8 with 2925 viewsShun

Well, I have to say I’ve found this more entertaining than anything I’ve seen on the pitch lately.
If not BBM then who on 00:11 - Mar 9 with 2893 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 23:28 - Mar 8 by Shun

Well, I have to say I’ve found this more entertaining than anything I’ve seen on the pitch lately.

Indeed, Shun

Reminds me of our debate about "form" and "results" some time ago, except that wasn't tarnished by someone introducing a personal element

Think i've also mentioned that it's more entertaining following matches on this messageboard than watching via iFollow!

Login to get fewer ads

If not BBM then who on 00:20 - Mar 9 with 2882 viewsShun

If not BBM then who on 00:11 - Mar 9 by D_Alien

Indeed, Shun

Reminds me of our debate about "form" and "results" some time ago, except that wasn't tarnished by someone introducing a personal element

Think i've also mentioned that it's more entertaining following matches on this messageboard than watching via iFollow!

Yes! It’s the beauty of the English language. Two words or phrases can mean almost the same thing and yet be miles apart in feeling. It’s interesting to think about. (To me, at least!)
If not BBM then who on 08:40 - Mar 9 with 2754 viewstony_roch975

If not BBM then who on 22:40 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

You've added nothing significant, and can resort only to cliches

If i were in a hole, i'd still be looking down on you

"Superiority complex is a term coined by Alfred Adler in the early 1900s, as part of his school of individual psychology. A superiority complex is a defence mechanism that develops over time to help a person cope with painful feelings of inferiority. Individuals with this complex typically come across as supercilious, haughty, and disdainful toward others. They may treat others in an imperious, overbearing, and even aggressive manner."

If not BBM then who on 12:45 - Mar 9 with 2593 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 08:40 - Mar 9 by tony_roch975

"Superiority complex is a term coined by Alfred Adler in the early 1900s, as part of his school of individual psychology. A superiority complex is a defence mechanism that develops over time to help a person cope with painful feelings of inferiority. Individuals with this complex typically come across as supercilious, haughty, and disdainful toward others. They may treat others in an imperious, overbearing, and even aggressive manner."

More googled shite?

If there's anyone with a complex, it's you - about me. Maybe have a good long think about that, before introducing personal elements into debates whilst adding nothing to the debate itself

[Post edited 9 Mar 2021 12:45]

If not BBM then who on 13:00 - Mar 9 with 2546 viewsBrierls

If not BBM then who on 23:28 - Mar 8 by Shun

It's brilliant.

D'Alien 'corrects' James.
Somebody points out the correction is incorrect.
D'Alien says it's not incorrect. His basis for that is personal and nobody else could possibly know.
D'Alien is correct.
Google, from multiple sources it seems, is not correct.

Brilliant.

P.S. I'm not adding any value to the thread, but I am pissing my pants.
If not BBM then who on 13:02 - Mar 9 with 2535 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 13:00 - Mar 9 by Brierls

It's brilliant.

D'Alien 'corrects' James.
Somebody points out the correction is incorrect.
D'Alien says it's not incorrect. His basis for that is personal and nobody else could possibly know.
D'Alien is correct.
Google, from multiple sources it seems, is not correct.

Brilliant.

P.S. I'm not adding any value to the thread, but I am pissing my pants.

Good to see you've enjoyed it, i have!

If not BBM then who on 13:41 - Mar 9 with 2461 views49thseason

If not BBM then who on 13:02 - Mar 9 by D_Alien

Good to see you've enjoyed it, i have!

So are you toeing the line and admitting you are wrong even if only in the context of the original post by James?
https://www.glossophilia.org/2017/09/when-it-comes-to-the-line-do-you-tow-it-or-
If not BBM then who on 13:48 - Mar 9 with 2452 viewsDaleiLama

I just did a Google search and this site is now the third most popular link under the search term foot fetish.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

If not BBM then who on 13:54 - Mar 9 with 2437 viewsjudd

If not BBM then who on 13:48 - Mar 9 by DaleiLama

I just did a Google search and this site is now the third most popular link under the search term foot fetish.

Who was it said tow/toe wrongs don't make a write?

Poll: What is it to be then?

If not BBM then who on 14:12 - Mar 9 with 2410 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 13:48 - Mar 9 by DaleiLama

Especially with sailors, no doubt!

If not BBM then who on 14:22 - Mar 9 with 2382 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 13:41 - Mar 9 by 49thseason

So are you toeing the line and admitting you are wrong even if only in the context of the original post by James?
https://www.glossophilia.org/2017/09/when-it-comes-to-the-line-do-you-tow-it-or-

As with the "form" & "results" debate i mentioned earlier, what can be used in the English Language (and no doubt others) can be interpreted in ways which aren't fixed

I have my own reasons for understanding someone using "towing the line" in the context of a team effort (as in "pulling in the same direction" - no tittering at the back), and nothing i've seen convinces me to change that view; therefore i've no reason to "admit" to being wrong, and i'll leave it to other people to launch personal attacks based on their own predilections

If not BBM then who on 15:14 - Mar 9 with 2325 viewstony_roch975

If not BBM then who on 14:22 - Mar 9 by D_Alien

As with the "form" & "results" debate i mentioned earlier, what can be used in the English Language (and no doubt others) can be interpreted in ways which aren't fixed

I have my own reasons for understanding someone using "towing the line" in the context of a team effort (as in "pulling in the same direction" - no tittering at the back), and nothing i've seen convinces me to change that view; therefore i've no reason to "admit" to being wrong, and i'll leave it to other people to launch personal attacks based on their own predilections

oh so nearly DA, go on one more push and ..er ah I w ..wa...wa..s w..wr..wrong Hurrah.

If not BBM then who on 15:26 - Mar 9 with 2297 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 15:14 - Mar 9 by tony_roch975

oh so nearly DA, go on one more push and ..er ah I w ..wa...wa..s w..wr..wrong Hurrah.

I was wr...... wrrrrrrr.........

(Pauses for breath)

I was wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Wrrrrrrr.... shhhhhhh......

(Pauses for more breath)

Shhhhhh...... wrrrrrrrr....i was shhhhh....shipwright...

(Collapses in a heap on deck, then wakes up...)

If not BBM then who on 17:59 - Mar 9 with 2200 viewsseasidedale

If looking to replace BBM what about that bloke ar Tranmere, seems to be doing a good job
If not BBM then who on 20:31 - Mar 9 with 2082 viewsdamaka

If not BBM then who on 18:28 - Mar 6 by Hopwoodblue

Like I’ve said before the most important thing for me is not to let BBM take charge of another game.
A change of attitude is what’s required and I’m sure we have people at the club ready to have a shot at saving our season. You’re not telling me nobody within the playing / coaching staff are not questioning amongst themselves what is going on ?
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 18:51]

Should have gone months ago
If not BBM then who on 20:38 - Mar 9 with 2059 viewsJimmyRustler

Fukin anyone
If not BBM then who on 20:49 - Jun 30 with 1546 viewsSheffield_dale

Right then guys.... Who we having 🙃
If not BBM then who on 20:54 - Jun 30 with 1463 viewsTomRAFC

Would love someone with a track record. Tisdale is in "an advisory role" at Colchester.

Who we can and can't afford is a mystery. Nolan is in a coaching role at West Ham. Would he drop back down the leagues to manage again?

Do we scour the lower leagues for someone who's slid down the pyramid. Neal Ardley at Solihull Moors for example.

Or do we take the ultimate risk... Big Jim
[Post edited 30 Jun 2021 21:20]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024