Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread 09:36 - Aug 22 with 7162 viewsSaintNick

All we want is a good solid performance

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:02 - Aug 22 with 1391 views1885_SFC

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 15:58 - Aug 22 by Heisenberg

I take it back. An excellent point with lots of positives. Salisu and Livramento look good and Armstrong up front will score goals. McCarthy is dodgy and Stephens although did ok still looks like a mistake is coming. Walcott offers nothing. Overall a good display to lift some of the doom around the club.

Agreed. Great point. Quite a few positives from the game. Armstrong could have won it for us on another day but yeah, all things considered, a very good point to get our season under way. I didn't expect anything today. Our points will need to be earned at places like Newcastle, etc.

Well done today though lads. Definitely an unexpected bonus!

Old School is Cool

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:04 - Aug 22 with 1384 viewsNYC_Saint

We played well, everyone did their bit. I don’t understand most of the comments on here. It was a soft goal to concede but Salisu cleared a ball off the line early on and controlled their attackers well I thought. I was surprised by the line up but it worked out well and in truth we could have won and it wouldn’t have been a shock. If we play organized football like this all year we’ll be hard to beat
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:05 - Aug 22 with 1378 viewsElijahK

You know what, fair play to Ralph today! As everyone was criticising his team selection and tactics etc before the game, but he got a decent point and it was a decent game. As no one on here would’ve rejected a point against Man U before KO, and I’m sure most Saints to fans would’ve taken a point at halftime seeing how often we drop the lead.

Tactics wise he was decent especially with the subs as other than maybe bringing on Tella I wouldn’t have done anything differently myself, and the fact that towards those last 20 minutes we really did push forward and actually had a few decent chances (although I’m very gobsmacked/annoyed that Armstrong didn’t score ether of them). Selection wise, well I think everyone had a really decent game, especially Stephens who showed today of why he got picked, and other than maybe McCarthy (who was actually decent today but maybe could’ve done better for their goal, but so could have Salisu, as he did pull of some decent save with that header and a few more, throughout the game), everyone in that starting 11 and subs performed really well.
As at the end of the day, most of us wouldn’t probably only expected 1 or 0 points out of the first 2 games of the season and we got that point, it sure was a decent result
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 16:15]

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:22 - Aug 22 with 1296 viewsCity_boy

Pleased with the point and couldn't fault the effort.

We still make school boy errors and got away with a few today, especially when balls were crossed into the box. We played. with the high line and got caught a lot in the first half.

Stephens had an ok game, but didn't win any Ariel balls and got away with a sloppy pass to Perraud.

We didn't seem to mess around with it as much as usual today, and with the lively Livramento and Armstrong we looked good going forward.

There are a lot of positives from today, but I would still like to see Walcott, McCarthy and Stephens replaced for next game.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:40 - Aug 22 with 1236 viewsElijahK

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:22 - Aug 22 by City_boy

We still make school boy errors and got away with a few today, especially when balls were crossed into the box. We played. with the high line and got caught a lot in the first half.

Stephens had an ok game, but didn't win any Ariel balls and got away with a sloppy pass to Perraud.

We didn't seem to mess around with it as much as usual today, and with the lively Livramento and Armstrong we looked good going forward.

There are a lot of positives from today, but I would still like to see Walcott, McCarthy and Stephens replaced for next game.

I definitely agree with giving someone else a game over Walcott, as maybe Tella should play if Armstrong’s not available for the Newcastle game. With Forster though I’d wanna see him play as McCarthy was actually decent today but still I wouldn’t mind seeing Forster play (as if he doesn’t do well then people will stop going on about McCarthy). But Stephens was great today and certainly shouldn’t be dropped, I mean unless we go to a back 5 or Salisu swaps with Bednerak then I don’t see how any other defender is gonna play

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:49 - Aug 22 with 1207 viewssaint22

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:22 - Aug 22 by City_boy

Agree those three should not start again
Walcott starting is like playing with ten men, he offers nowt
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:12 - Aug 22 with 1160 viewsKennington

An excellent and unexpected point. Had to make do listening to it on the radio but sounded like a fair result.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:13 - Aug 22 with 1158 viewskingslandstand1

Stephens. Still not sure he is the answer as seems to be a casual mistake waiting to happen at times, but also some real positives about him where he can create, just wish he was more aware of his surroundings or at least those around him!. He could also be a leader with his attitude, although his booking was apparently trying to ket the ref know he disagreed with a decision!
So who starts at the back next week?
If there is an area of the team that should remain fairly stable it is the back 4/5 and that includes the keeper!
Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:39 - Aug 22 with 1087 viewsVeloSaint

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:13 - Aug 22 by kingslandstand1

Stephens. Still not sure he is the answer as seems to be a casual mistake waiting to happen at times, but also some real positives about him where he can create, just wish he was more aware of his surroundings or at least those around him!. He could also be a leader with his attitude, although his booking was apparently trying to ket the ref know he disagreed with a decision!
So who starts at the back next week?
If there is an area of the team that should remain fairly stable it is the back 4/5 and that includes the keeper!

I agree, for now it makes more sense to keep a settled backline injuries permitting. You'd think the only decision is re Walcott next week. Great performance today and that's 2 weeks in a row that starting XI put in a decent first 45. Changes had to be made second half and they were. Better finishing would have won it.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:44 - Aug 22 with 1073 viewssaint22

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 17:39 - Aug 22 by VeloSaint

I agree, for now it makes more sense to keep a settled backline injuries permitting. You'd think the only decision is re Walcott next week. Great performance today and that's 2 weeks in a row that starting XI put in a decent first 45. Changes had to be made second half and they were. Better finishing would have won it.

Armstrong or Tella for Walcott he really should not be anywhere near that first eleven
Bednarek for Stephens

I still think Forster should start, I doubt he would have let them soft goal in today

Not sure KWP should be on the bench, he looked good when he came on again
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:16 - Aug 22 with 1004 viewsBerber

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 16:05 - Aug 22 by ElijahK

You know what, fair play to Ralph today! As everyone was criticising his team selection and tactics etc before the game, but he got a decent point and it was a decent game. As no one on here would’ve rejected a point against Man U before KO, and I’m sure most Saints to fans would’ve taken a point at halftime seeing how often we drop the lead.

Tactics wise he was decent especially with the subs as other than maybe bringing on Tella I wouldn’t have done anything differently myself, and the fact that towards those last 20 minutes we really did push forward and actually had a few decent chances (although I’m very gobsmacked/annoyed that Armstrong didn’t score ether of them). Selection wise, well I think everyone had a really decent game, especially Stephens who showed today of why he got picked, and other than maybe McCarthy (who was actually decent today but maybe could’ve done better for their goal, but so could have Salisu, as he did pull of some decent save with that header and a few more, throughout the game), everyone in that starting 11 and subs performed really well.
As at the end of the day, most of us wouldn’t probably only expected 1 or 0 points out of the first 2 games of the season and we got that point, it sure was a decent result
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 16:15]

Pretty much my thoughts on the game too. Perraud and Livramento look to be two decent buys and Armstrong seems to fit better with Adams than Ings ever did.

I was disappointed on seeing the team sheets to see him stick with McCarthy, Stephens and Walcott, but apart from Walcott, they did a pretty good job. Nice to see an early tactical change at half time too.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:23 - Aug 22 with 989 viewsgrumpy

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:16 - Aug 22 by Berber

Pretty much my thoughts on the game too. Perraud and Livramento look to be two decent buys and Armstrong seems to fit better with Adams than Ings ever did.

I was disappointed on seeing the team sheets to see him stick with McCarthy, Stephens and Walcott, but apart from Walcott, they did a pretty good job. Nice to see an early tactical change at half time too.

'Nice to see an early tactical change at half time too'

I thought it was a ridiculous one.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:31 - Aug 22 with 978 viewsdirk_doone

Back from the game. I really enjoyed it. Exciting game; good atmosphere. The team were really up for it and performed much better than any of us expected them to so no criticisms from me.

The Man United fans were much quieter than they usually are because they were stunned to be losing at half-time. They found their voices when Greenwood scored but fell silent in the final quarter of the game when they started to realize they probably weren't going to win. We stayed behind after the game and the players and Ralph walked around the pitch applauding the fans back. Ward-Prowse looked especially proud and happy. He has really committed himself to us.

The season looks much more promising after that.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 18:33]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:40 - Aug 22 with 957 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:31 - Aug 22 by dirk_doone

Back from the game. I really enjoyed it. Exciting game; good atmosphere. The team were really up for it and performed much better than any of us expected them to so no criticisms from me.

The Man United fans were much quieter than they usually are because they were stunned to be losing at half-time. They found their voices when Greenwood scored but fell silent in the final quarter of the game when they started to realize they probably weren't going to win. We stayed behind after the game and the players and Ralph walked around the pitch applauding the fans back. Ward-Prowse looked especially proud and happy. He has really committed himself to us.

Agreed Dirk. Apart from the chaos with tickets and at the turnstiles, it was a great performance, the fans were in good spirits considering and it's promising for the rest of the season.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 18:45]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:52 - Aug 22 with 932 viewsBerber

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:23 - Aug 22 by grumpy

'Nice to see an early tactical change at half time too'

I thought it was a ridiculous one.

But it secured us a point. After the last half season of scoring then conceding a bunch, I was happy to settle for a point once we scored. The ground was way fuller than I expected, it was a great atmosphere with enthusiastic singing, we are not in the relegation slots, and I've got a glass of red wine, happy days for me.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:56 - Aug 22 with 930 viewsBerber

Nice to see the applause for Luke Shaw too when he looked a bit uncertain about what reception he would get and one or two started to boo.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 19:26 - Aug 22 with 899 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 18:56 - Aug 22 by Berber

Nice to see the applause for Luke Shaw too when he looked a bit uncertain about what reception he would get and one or two started to boo.

He was getting a bit of booing during the game but Mason Greenwood was the villain today after he rolled around on the ground clutching his chin, pretending he'd been punched, and continued to do so after he stood up, in a pathetic attempt to get the ref's attention. He was jeered mercilessly for the rest of the game. Pity he scored. Harry Maguire came close to getting a second yellow but credit to him for shaking our players' hands at the end, starting with Ward-Prowse. There was some obvious respect there.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 19:30]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 19:48 - Aug 22 with 862 viewsSalisburySaint

Despite the problems at the turnstiles, the feel good feeling was back today, the atmosphere was tremendous and the cheer when we scored was one of loudest I’ve heard in 20years as St Mary’s

Hopefully more fans will stop moaning about the team, although after a quick look on Facebook loads of clowns still finding plenty to criticise the team about, after what I thought was a great team performance, with excellent substitutions at the right time, I’ve no idea what these so called fans expect from Saints
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 19:49]
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 21:15 - Aug 22 with 771 viewsgrumpy

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 19:48 - Aug 22 by SalisburySaint

Despite the problems at the turnstiles, the feel good feeling was back today, the atmosphere was tremendous and the cheer when we scored was one of loudest I’ve heard in 20years as St Mary’s

Hopefully more fans will stop moaning about the team, although after a quick look on Facebook loads of clowns still finding plenty to criticise the team about, after what I thought was a great team performance, with excellent substitutions at the right time, I’ve no idea what these so called fans expect from Saints
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 19:49]

With respect, Salisbury as I know you are a loyal fan but how was taking off Walcott(who shouldn't have been playing anyway after the Everton game) and replacing him with a defender a excellent substitution?
Everton were poor last week and we should have taken at least a point there, United were there for the taking today as they looked nothing like the team that thrashed Leeds.
Both games we took the lead in the first half and surrendered it in the second.
Today I thought taking off a forward and replacing him with a defender at half time sent a clear message out that we were going to sit on our lead and invited United to press forward.
I saw some good players out there today and played in the right way could have done so much better.
We could easily won today.
I'm pleased with the point but should have been three.
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 22:31 - Aug 22 with 711 viewsSalisburySaint

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 21:15 - Aug 22 by grumpy

With respect, Salisbury as I know you are a loyal fan but how was taking off Walcott(who shouldn't have been playing anyway after the Everton game) and replacing him with a defender a excellent substitution?
Everton were poor last week and we should have taken at least a point there, United were there for the taking today as they looked nothing like the team that thrashed Leeds.
Both games we took the lead in the first half and surrendered it in the second.
Today I thought taking off a forward and replacing him with a defender at half time sent a clear message out that we were going to sit on our lead and invited United to press forward.
I saw some good players out there today and played in the right way could have done so much better.
We could easily won today.
I'm pleased with the point but should have been three.

I would have preferred him to replace Walcott, who I agree shouldn’t have started, with walker Peters moving Tino into midfield, but Ralph chose to go 5 at the back a be proactive rather than reactive.

We had a rocky patch around the time of the equaliser and just after, but I thought 5 at the back worked and kept us in the game (unlike last week) and we looked more likely to score than United at the end, so I thought Ralph’s changes worked, but all a matter of option. But far more positives from this game than we’ve had for a while, and most fans would have settled for a draw before the game, with most expecting a thrashing
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 6:40]
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 22:36 - Aug 22 with 706 viewsBison

Here you go Grumps , Ralph explains why he made the change and the reasoning behind it

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2021/8/22/22636919/southampton-manchester-un

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 23:53 - Aug 22 with 637 viewsA1079

I guess most of it has been said in various ways, but just got back home after a long day travelling back from Southampton.

I suspect I was like most Saints fans and even neutrals who attended this game expecting the worse with a small smidgen of hope.

Getting into the ground was a bit messy and it did feel like the club were not ready for the season.

But, put that aside quickly because (may be I am easily pleased) but I thought that was a cracking match.

I am not saying we were perfect - not by along way and Man U could have taken the lead quite early and if they had it would have been very different. But I thought the whole team put in a real shift and really worked their socks off. I have been quick to criticise Ralph recently so, fair play to him, I think he got his tactics and substitutions largely right. I still think Forster should have been picked and may be I would have picked Tella over Walcott. But, putting aside the fairly soft goal conceded and the fact that we had to rely on a single goal again, if we play like that and put in that amount of effort then we have a chance, however small. First time I have seen Livramento properly and he looks real class and even when he does not have the ball he was directing and pointing. For one so young he seems mature in his approach and game anticipation.

Armstrong and Adams worked well together. Salisu was pretty solid but still not commanding at times but he is looking stronger each game. JWP and Romeu were solid and strong when they needed to be.

Quite alot of empty seats and yet strangely the Saints supporters got behind the team pretty much from the off and the atmosphere was good, indeed the goal was received with a really loud and heartfelt cheer. In fact, it had that feeling from the moment of the first whistle of a crowd showing the team support in the face of anticipated adversity. Those who bothered to stay gave the team a good applause of appreciation at the end as did the players back. At the end of the 90 plus minutes I felt entertained and that the players gave their all and I left St Marys feeling happy.

Newcastle next week and we will have to work that hard and more again. We need to build on today, get some consistency and score more goals (would be nice to get more than One).
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 0:09]
Man Utd Game Matchday Thread on 07:13 - Aug 23 with 528 viewssaint68

Well I definitely missed a great game by the sounds of it, had the pleasure a 4hr round trip to collect some family from the airport...Air conditioning broke on the hire car and no radio..so when I checked my phone at half time I was made up..and when I finally got home and checked the full time I was ery pleased to see we hadn't capitulated..and sounds like St Mary's was rocking yesterday.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024