Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk , another Cusack ? 19:55 - Mar 2 with 5215 viewsicecoldjack

Ok lets just forget the Pro Laudrup/anti Laudrup Pro Monk thing for a moment, im sure like me we are all Pro SCFC !!

My own view after these last 6 games is that Monk isnt good enough to manage in this league, he has undoubted qualities and there will be a place for him here in a coaching role, but with every passing game we are looking like a team that only has one way of playing and when it needs changing mid game it tends to lead to us losing or dropping points .

Im really hoping Garry does well here,in fact its just like when Cusack had a go at being manager, every single one of us thought he would be a safe pair of hands ,he was bright and intelligent and a real club man,he had the respect of all the players but he was a total failiure as a manager for us .

Are there parallels to be drawn here ?

I take it as a given that we all want Monk to do really well,nothing id like more than to see him succeed but for me i think he is way out of his depth, have respect of other players is one thing but managing them in the top league is another.

The Palace game was the ultimate test for me,the Cardiff game looked after itself ,this was the game where management and use of resources was required,IMO he failed a big test here today and in the end he was lucky to come away with a point.

Palace are bang average yet after the first 45 mins they bossed the game against us on our own patch, ive never seen such a rubbish team do that to us for a while, we seemed to have no answer for it ,the game was a ust win and we were lucky to draw .

Do you think this appointment is now looking like a mistake ?

Or do you think we are being too harsh on Garry?

Im interested in gauging the thoughts of all my fellow jacks out there, what is the unbiased view on Monk ?
Monk , another Cusack ? on 19:58 - Mar 2 with 2960 viewsTom1912

An experienced Premier League coach took advantage of an opportunity against a tired, a depleted squad by getting his tactics spot on.

Maybe Monk should have brought Emnes on instead of Lita but I don't think it would have changed much.
Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:09 - Mar 2 with 2923 viewsicecoldjack

But arnt ALL the managers in the premier league more experienced than Monk ??

Lets not forget that Garry knows the club and players extremely well so he has an adantage in that respect . I think he is starting to really struggle and like with Cusack the majority of us fans will prefer to back him rather than turn on him .

The problem now is that we are in that dreaded relegation scrap and the bounce of a new manager and fresh changes has meant we have won 1 in 7 under Monk and didnt look great against a team that while being strong and willing didnt have much quality .
Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:22 - Mar 2 with 2864 viewsymaohyd

I've said it loads of times on other threads and will say it again.

Having been in the Premier League for a third season now, our strength and depth up front is a fuc*ing disgrace. Now I'm a huge fan of the board and was supportive of ML until his tactics changed from Sept onwards, so in the interests of fairness I'll blame both (the board and Laudrup).

We should be able to take Bony off and have a more than an adequate sub to bring on. Not to have a go at Lita, or Vazquez but they should be nowehere near the first team. I'm amazed I'm saying it but if Bony had to go off I would definitely have put Emnes on.

Monk is taking flack but do people seriously believe he would have taken Bony off in preference for Lita, unless he really had to? If he did make a tactical change then Monk doesn't have the potential that I know that he has.

If we stay up, never again during our Premier League existence should we go into a season with the likes of Vazquez, Lita etc still being on our books. After Schecter last season it isn't good enough.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:33 - Mar 2 with 2833 viewsicecoldjack

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:22 - Mar 2 by ymaohyd

Having been in the Premier League for a third season now, our strength and depth up front is a fuc*ing disgrace. Now I'm a huge fan of the board and was supportive of ML until his tactics changed from Sept onwards, so in the interests of fairness I'll blame both (the board and Laudrup).

We should be able to take Bony off and have a more than an adequate sub to bring on. Not to have a go at Lita, or Vazquez but they should be nowehere near the first team. I'm amazed I'm saying it but if Bony had to go off I would definitely have put Emnes on.

Monk is taking flack but do people seriously believe he would have taken Bony off in preference for Lita, unless he really had to? If he did make a tactical change then Monk doesn't have the potential that I know that he has.

If we stay up, never again during our Premier League existence should we go into a season with the likes of Vazquez, Lita etc still being on our books. After Schecter last season it isn't good enough.

That is a great point in fairness .

As things are coming out now,its known about Bony being Ill.

Let me ask you, when Monk put Taylor on against Napoli, were you also thinking that Ben being more attacking minded and Taylor being more defensive minded would have been put at Full back to leave Ben higher up where he can do some damage with his surging runs ?

I thought it extremely odd he played Taylor in midfield .

Everton and he plays Two players that didnt play for us in over a year .

Tiredness which was visable after an europe game for the first time co incided with that fact that Monk has been putting on double sessions.

Our injured players are getting injured as soon as they return !

I dont think he is the right man for the job, thats just my personal view, im still desperate for him to do well though, i said previously that thi is his chance to earn the job, after today i think he has lost that job .
Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:42 - Mar 2 with 2790 viewsymaohyd

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:33 - Mar 2 by icecoldjack

That is a great point in fairness .

As things are coming out now,its known about Bony being Ill.

Let me ask you, when Monk put Taylor on against Napoli, were you also thinking that Ben being more attacking minded and Taylor being more defensive minded would have been put at Full back to leave Ben higher up where he can do some damage with his surging runs ?

I thought it extremely odd he played Taylor in midfield .

Everton and he plays Two players that didnt play for us in over a year .

Tiredness which was visable after an europe game for the first time co incided with that fact that Monk has been putting on double sessions.

Our injured players are getting injured as soon as they return !

I dont think he is the right man for the job, thats just my personal view, im still desperate for him to do well though, i said previously that thi is his chance to earn the job, after today i think he has lost that job .

I firmly believe Monk is the right man for the job. It was never going to be easy and when he took over we all knew that ahead of him lay incredibly tough times. For a young manager to be put in the deep end and cope with the massive pressure is a huge ask. Look at Pardew yesterday...al down to pressure of being a PL manager.

Left back compared to left mid is a more exposed position. You very rarely see full/wing backs being taken off during a game..unless you are chasing a game or there an injury. It's a bit of a golden rule in football.you don't change your back 4 unit during a game if things are going well.

In theory all Swans players are comfortable on the ball playing our style, Taylor left mid shouldn't be a problem. He won't be hugely creative but shouldn't be a weak link.

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:43 - Mar 2 with 2781 viewsKingBony

Read your first paragraph then gave up. Even the title tells it's story about your agenda.

1 defeat in 4 PL games against Liverpool away (just) Took Napoli all the way to the death in EL.

Irrespective of what you feel about substitutions or tactics at this point to put a title up like you have 'Monk, another Cusack?' Saddens me tbh.

Time to get a grip, we all get disappointed when we don't win and I understand that but I just don't know what to think with some of these comments. I dispair, I really do

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:49 - Mar 2 with 2742 viewsChief

what do you expect? a win away at anfield, plus progress in Europa league and FA cup?

4 out of the realistically possible 6 isn't bad under the circumstances isn't bad at all, so how you can compare his managerial tenure to that of Cusack's is beyond me.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:50 - Mar 2 with 2739 viewsymaohyd

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:43 - Mar 2 by KingBony

Read your first paragraph then gave up. Even the title tells it's story about your agenda.

1 defeat in 4 PL games against Liverpool away (just) Took Napoli all the way to the death in EL.

Irrespective of what you feel about substitutions or tactics at this point to put a title up like you have 'Monk, another Cusack?' Saddens me tbh.

Time to get a grip, we all get disappointed when we don't win and I understand that but I just don't know what to think with some of these comments. I dispair, I really do

Absolutely.

Behind Darren you are my 2nd favourite poster!

I'm just getting so emotional tonight!

Login to get fewer ads

Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:51 - Mar 2 with 2735 viewsPhil_S

This
Monk , another Cusack ? on 20:51 - Mar 2 with 2735 viewsCatullus

Did we not boss the first half? Yes we ran out of steam, we also had other problems. Not least of which is no adequate back up striker. Illness and injury (not to forget a red card) all played their part.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:00 - Mar 2 with 2693 viewsNewhousemustscore

I want monk to do well as the games he's been in charge have seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to laudrup. However, when we were in the lower divisions we had four strikers in our squad - Leon knight, lee trundle, bayo and Fallon - who all offered something different. Now we are in the premiership we now appear to have less attacking options if bony were to get injured. I don't know why he didn't play Emnes instead of lita but it has to be said our strength in attacking depth has pretty thin for a couple of seasons.
Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:09 - Mar 2 with 2666 viewsicecoldjack

This is a problem with this site.
Its almost impossible to be objective and explore certain Parallels with honest intentions.

I dont have any fooking agenda other than wanting the best for the team and club, but defeats create talking points and talking points fuel debate, its kinda the point of the forum isnt it ?

My observations are valid , there are parallels to be drawn, its a problem to post objective comments on here without somebody thinking someone is just purely digging at the club, trust me 100% that aint what im intersted in !!

The question of Monk in charge is valid.

Somebody above just asked me, "what, you expect them to beat Liverpool away £ no, but i expect us to beat a crap Palace team at home !!

If we cant beat the teams above us and now start to fail to beat the team below us then its a major problem is it not ?
Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:14 - Mar 2 with 2636 viewsChief

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:09 - Mar 2 by icecoldjack

Its almost impossible to be objective and explore certain Parallels with honest intentions.

I dont have any fooking agenda other than wanting the best for the team and club, but defeats create talking points and talking points fuel debate, its kinda the point of the forum isnt it ?

My observations are valid , there are parallels to be drawn, its a problem to post objective comments on here without somebody thinking someone is just purely digging at the club, trust me 100% that aint what im intersted in !!

Somebody above just asked me, "what, you expect them to beat Liverpool away £ no, but i expect us to beat a crap Palace team at home !!

If we cant beat the teams above us and now start to fail to beat the team below us then its a major problem is it not ?

the only realistic difference to monks first run of games should have been a win today?

so we are only 2 points worse off (due to a terrible ref decision) and we are unbeaten in the realistically winnable games

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:18 - Mar 2 with 2617 viewsC_jack

Some fans are very protective over him, which is strange, unless they're all related. How many other managers got their very first job in the toughest league in the world, and made it a success?

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:25 - Mar 2 with 2587 viewsPhil_S

It's impossible to draw any conclusions or parallels with a managerial appointment in the summer of 2002 with one made in the winter of 2014

Just a convenient way to knock someone if you want ti?
Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:27 - Mar 2 with 2582 viewsChief

I just cant see what people expect?

Liverpool, Everton and Napoli away were extremely hard games. no one could really expect to get much from them, we did perform admirably in them though (aside from the reserves at Goodison).

Win against the scum and a draw at home against Napoli were excellent results.

That leaves just Palace at home (WHICH WE DIDN'T LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

on paper at the start of the season palace at home is very winnable. but football isn't played on paper. Very 1 dimensional to not take anything else into account and simply proclaim " we should be beating palace at home".

yes, we should, but using that logic we shouldn't have ever beaten any team higher in the league than us

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:36 - Mar 2 with 2537 viewsKingBony

You've just brought up a time when we were at our lowest ebb, comparing GM to Nick Cusack.

Nick Cusack was a decent bloke and stepped in and tried his best to steer us to safety but sadly didn't work out. I've still got a hell of a lot of respect for him nonetheless.

To compare where we are now in 2014 and to try to compare the two is just incredible. GM has been with us for a decade and clearly has something about him, the players are busting a gut for him and all the media are impressed with how he carries himself as our manager.

He's lost 1 BPL game out of 4 and the football we've watched (apart from 25-30 mins) today has been so far away from the apathy and predictability of recent months.

So you'll forgive me from stopping at your first paragraph. Agenda or not I just can't even seen the slightest hint of any similarity in the 'debate' you're looking for, just another way to have a swipe at GM because we drew, yes Drew, not lost a game.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:51 - Mar 2 with 2485 viewsDavillin

Monk , another Cusack ? on 19:58 - Mar 2 by Tom1912

An experienced Premier League coach took advantage of an opportunity against a tired, a depleted squad by getting his tactics spot on.

Maybe Monk should have brought Emnes on instead of Lita but I don't think it would have changed much.

In my opinion, "An experienced Premier League coach took advantage of an opportunity against a tired, a depleted squad by getting his tactics spot on" is correct.

I have no opinion on your second sentence.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:07 - Mar 2 with 2449 viewslonglostjack

Monk , another Cusack ? on 21:27 - Mar 2 by Chief

I just cant see what people expect?

Liverpool, Everton and Napoli away were extremely hard games. no one could really expect to get much from them, we did perform admirably in them though (aside from the reserves at Goodison).

Win against the scum and a draw at home against Napoli were excellent results.

That leaves just Palace at home (WHICH WE DIDN'T LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

on paper at the start of the season palace at home is very winnable. but football isn't played on paper. Very 1 dimensional to not take anything else into account and simply proclaim " we should be beating palace at home".

yes, we should, but using that logic we shouldn't have ever beaten any team higher in the league than us

Exactly !!

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:23 - Mar 2 with 2413 viewsicecoldjack

But Palace at home is a must win game is it not ?

we are 5 pts off the drop guys not 15 !!

We are 14th and if Sunderland and Palace win their games in hand we drop to 16th !!

so i want to know why everyone is thinking its totally fooking awesome to take just 1pt from Palace when all of us where saying days before it was a game we must win .!

The sitution we are in is one of urgency not arrogance to think we wont go down,because the way things are going we are falling fast .
Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:27 - Mar 2 with 2400 viewsChief

are you aware that we played our hearts out against a champions league team away on Thursday?

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:32 - Mar 2 with 2381 viewsDarran

Whatever happens from now untill the end of the season I do not want the greatest captain in the history of Swansea City to be our manager next season.
I would like him to be involved though and you never know he might even go on to bigger things in the future a bit like Colon Piscoe at Diverpool.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:41 - Mar 2 with 2353 viewsJJJack

Excellent post. One of the reasons ML lost his job is exactly the reason Monk is now struggling a little....if Bony is off colour then there is simply NO other viable option. Which is criminal for a football club with the money/resources/opportunities we have. I actually started a thread around Xmas questioning Laudrup's achillies heel....i.e. signing strikers because he has a shocking record everywhere he's gone of failing to sign good strikers. Many mocked my point but I don't even see there's an argument. For a football genius (and otherwise good Manager) his idea of a good striker is dreadful. Remember, he DID NOT WANT Bony!!
Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:42 - Mar 2 with 2343 viewsChief

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:32 - Mar 2 by Darran

Whatever happens from now untill the end of the season I do not want the greatest captain in the history of Swansea City to be our manager next season.
I would like him to be involved though and you never know he might even go on to bigger things in the future a bit like Colon Piscoe at Diverpool.

I agree, shouldnt be the long term option, more experience needed.

but to compare him to Cusack at this stage is crazy

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:43 - Mar 2 with 2339 viewsJackFish

Monk , another Cusack ? on 22:23 - Mar 2 by icecoldjack

But Palace at home is a must win game is it not ?

we are 5 pts off the drop guys not 15 !!

We are 14th and if Sunderland and Palace win their games in hand we drop to 16th !!

so i want to know why everyone is thinking its totally fooking awesome to take just 1pt from Palace when all of us where saying days before it was a game we must win .!

The sitution we are in is one of urgency not arrogance to think we wont go down,because the way things are going we are falling fast .

In what way is it a must win game. I must have missed the bit where we've been relegated after not winning it.

I didn't understand the subs today, didn't notice anything wrong with Wilf or Ash, but if they were ill then it's fair enough. Palace did well in the second half and I'm pleased we held on for a point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024