Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? 12:12 - May 31 with 84669 viewsTrundle10

Got a lot of different species here at the moment. Nuthatch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robins, bullfinch, Gold finch.
What visitors do you get on yours?
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:25 - Jun 8 with 1157 viewsBrynCartwright

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:07 - Jun 8 by Flashberryjack

Recently I put a new bird feeder up (I've made it almost impossible for crows to get at it)

Sunflower hearts, Niger seeds, millet, you name it, I've used it.
To date all I've had is a load of house sparrows a couple of Cole tits (they're pretty regular visitors now) and the very odd Blue and Great Tits.

Goldfinches do visit next doors large Lime tree, unfortunately they ignore my feeder.

Have you tried mealworms yet Flasho? Birsd seem to love them. Expensive, but I had cause to go in Poundstretcher the other day, and they are very cheap in there.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:30 - Jun 8 with 1151 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:25 - Jun 8 by BrynCartwright

Have you tried mealworms yet Flasho? Birsd seem to love them. Expensive, but I had cause to go in Poundstretcher the other day, and they are very cheap in there.

Cheap 🐥😂

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:42 - Jun 8 with 1140 viewsFlashberryjack

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:25 - Jun 8 by BrynCartwright

Yeah mate, the sparrows love em, pretty reasonably priced bird seed in Home bargains (it's just up the road from us)

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:53 - Jun 8 with 1120 viewslonglostjack

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:22 - Jun 8 by airedale

The Goldfinches are regulars, visiting the feeders many times a day. We also get sparrows (very common) and dunnock I think. Also an occasional bluetit. We getno hassle from crows or magpies but recently bloody starling have been showing up and managing to use the feeders. Its like a bunch of pissed up stagnighters turning up. Blackdirds, pidge and his Mrs ground feed on the shrapnel.

I bloody love this thread. We‘ve had a bunch of starlings visiting recently too. Stag night/Wind street on a Saturday night - nail on head! Black redstart has been visiting lately and yesterday I saw a squirrel with the wren‘s nest it it‘s mouth. Happens every year but first time I‘ve seen it. Wren builds nest and it gets wrecked. Female has probably chosen a better one that that he‘s built somewhere else but the dull fecker still builds one under the garage roof.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 21:48 - Jun 8 with 1085 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:42 - Jun 8 by Flashberryjack

Yeah mate, the sparrows love em, pretty reasonably priced bird seed in Home bargains (it's just up the road from us)

I go to B & M and buy bloody great sacks of nuts and seeds and big tubs of fatballs all at pretty decent prices. Glad I bought a load pre-lockdown as it goes a lot quicker at this time of year of course with all those greedy little mouths to feed!
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:03 - Jun 8 with 1072 viewsFlashberryjack

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 21:48 - Jun 8 by karnataka

I go to B & M and buy bloody great sacks of nuts and seeds and big tubs of fatballs all at pretty decent prices. Glad I bought a load pre-lockdown as it goes a lot quicker at this time of year of course with all those greedy little mouths to feed!

I've got a fat ball hanging in the bird feeder, the odd blue/great tit feed of it but nought else I'm afraid.

I'll tell the missus to get some peanuts, worth a try.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:45 - Jun 8 with 1044 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:03 - Jun 8 by Flashberryjack

I've got a fat ball hanging in the bird feeder, the odd blue/great tit feed of it but nought else I'm afraid.

I'll tell the missus to get some peanuts, worth a try.

Interesting. We've got more blue tits and great tits than anything else and they're constantly on the fatballs but like I mentioned earlier, the pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers are decimating them and I've never had to top them up quite as frequently as I am at the moment. Don't begrudge them though, very striking birds and always welcome.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:07 - Jun 8 with 1026 viewsmajorraglan

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 14:13 - Jun 8 by Swanjaxs

Absolutely gutted.

Have been feeding the birds in the garden for about 18 months now, and built up a loyal following.

Have had to stop for the moment because I've spotted a rat running around the garden.

We think the bugger has come over from next doors scruffy garden.

Waiting for pest control to come over.

Any advice fellow bird feeding pals?

We saw a rat in our garage, got the pest control guys out straight away, they put a few sachets down in the garage and some bags of feed under the decking and and a few other locations. One day we came home from work and there was a humongous dead rat on the decking, the stench was grim.

If I were you I’d consider getting a length of pipe and running it in to a box which contains a trap baited with something like peanut butter. Rats are neophobic and are very cautious of new things in their environment so it will take them a while to get used to it before they take the bait. People just down the road feed the birds and have had big problems with rats, they swear by the traps and peanut butter.
Login to get fewer ads

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:14 - Jun 8 with 1014 viewsDr_Winston

If the rats aren't in your house just leave them be. If they're cleaning up the bits that fall from the feeders then they're saving you a job.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:17 - Jun 8 with 1007 viewsmajorraglan

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 13:53 - Jun 8 by BrynCartwright

I was given a feeding station as a birthday present in early February. Only now is it being used extensively. It takes a few weeks to establish. There is a little tray and separate seed dispenser for birds that like to perch and feed like sparrows, a peanut holder, and half a coconut filled with suet and seeds for the more agile birds like tits. I also lob a couple of hanfulls of seed on the ground, as plenty of birds, like blackbirds and collared doves prefer ground feeding.

It is also a great idea to have a permanent water supply for them, to drink and to bathe in especially when the weather is warm.

I've had a great spotted woodpecker on there as well, but look out for the jackdaws and rooks, as they will come in mob handed and hoover everything up the thugs!

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of birds visiting our garden, mostly the common stuff like sparrows, blackbirds and pigeons, but recently we have had a jay and this weekend I saw a pair of the lesser spotted woodpecker on a decaying ash tree. I think it’s the first time I have seen a woodpecker in the wild. Lovely sight.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:18 - Jun 8 with 1007 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:14 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

If the rats aren't in your house just leave them be. If they're cleaning up the bits that fall from the feeders then they're saving you a job.

Good advice 👍

All jokes aside Dr, but the bàstards have been in the garden again tonight.

Can I shoot them legally with an airgun?

Or will I get the SWAT squad around 🤔

*joke btw*
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 23:21]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:21 - Jun 8 with 995 viewsDr_Winston

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:18 - Jun 8 by Swanjaxs

Good advice 👍

All jokes aside Dr, but the bàstards have been in the garden again tonight.

Can I shoot them legally with an airgun?

Or will I get the SWAT squad around 🤔

*joke btw*
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 23:21]

I'm not getting why rats in the garden is a problem.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:24 - Jun 8 with 992 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:21 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

I'm not getting why rats in the garden is a problem.

Really.

Would rather mice tbh.

So, if you had rats running around your garden (they breed every other week) you'd be ok to just let them carry on regardless? 🤔

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:28 - Jun 8 with 983 viewsDarran

We get a couple of rats cleaning up,one of them has only got half a tail so we’ve named him Half A Tail.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:33 - Jun 8 with 979 viewsDr_Winston

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:24 - Jun 8 by Swanjaxs

Really.

Would rather mice tbh.

So, if you had rats running around your garden (they breed every other week) you'd be ok to just let them carry on regardless? 🤔

As long as they aren't bothering me they can do what they like. Had one in the garden the other day. He rooted around under the bird feeders for a bit then buggered off. No harm no foul.

Admittedly about six cats are regulars in my garden (including mine) so they keep themselves scarce as a rule, but I wouldn't take major steps to exterminate them even if they were unless their doings caused me problems.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:42 - Jun 8 with 967 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:33 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

As long as they aren't bothering me they can do what they like. Had one in the garden the other day. He rooted around under the bird feeders for a bit then buggered off. No harm no foul.

Admittedly about six cats are regulars in my garden (including mine) so they keep themselves scarce as a rule, but I wouldn't take major steps to exterminate them even if they were unless their doings caused me problems.

Fair enough if your happy to have the occasional rat rooting around your garden 😉

I'll take the other option by eradicating the problem for the sake of my wellbeing and my neighbours 👍🏻

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:57 - Jun 8 with 946 viewsairedale

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:14 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

Is the correct answer....
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:01 - Jun 9 with 936 viewsairedale

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 16:56 - Jun 8 by airedale

We've got 2 feeders, one contains sunflower hearts and the other has sunflower hearts mixed in with Niger seeds. Goldfinches like Niger. We're also growing teasel for them cos they like that too. Teasel only flowers every other year so there's some in now and some will be put in next year. We're also getting a thistle for them.

My gardening manager sees to the growing side of things.

Kin ell! Just read BrynCartwright’s post, my post should read ‘sunflower hearts And mealworms’ in one feeder.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 0:00]

.Buy a lot of stuff in Home Bargains.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 0:02]
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:08 - Jun 9 with 926 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:57 - Jun 8 by airedale

Is the correct answer....

Nah I'm just gona shoot the bàstards 👍🏻

As an aside.

I guy in work got bitten by one of these lovely furry fellows when picking up a black binbag and spent 3 day's in hospital...

Yes lovely creatures aint they ❤

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:48 - Jun 9 with 885 viewsairedale

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:08 - Jun 9 by Swanjaxs

Nah I'm just gona shoot the bàstards 👍🏻

As an aside.

I guy in work got bitten by one of these lovely furry fellows when picking up a black binbag and spent 3 day's in hospital...

Yes lovely creatures aint they ❤

They just be varmints man, chill.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:51 - Jun 9 with 882 viewsSwanjaxs

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 00:48 - Jun 9 by airedale

They just be varmints man, chill.

Sounds like you been smoking a too many "splffs" man 😎

#ratslivesmatter 🐀❤

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 07:43 - Jun 9 with 842 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:17 - Jun 8 by majorraglan

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of birds visiting our garden, mostly the common stuff like sparrows, blackbirds and pigeons, but recently we have had a jay and this weekend I saw a pair of the lesser spotted woodpecker on a decaying ash tree. I think it’s the first time I have seen a woodpecker in the wild. Lovely sight.

Are you 100% sure about the lesser spotted woodpeckers, major? They are quite rare in UK now and have a red conservation status. Greater spotted very common everywhere though.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 12:05 - Jun 9 with 803 viewskarnataka

Almost forgot about this one until this thread popped up again. A Meadow Pipit sitting on one of our fence posts just as I set off for one of my permitted daily lockdown walks a couple of months ago.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 12:19 - Jun 9 with 798 viewsairedale

We’re Closed For Maintenance.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 13:16 - Jun 9 with 793 viewsairedale

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 12:19 - Jun 9 by airedale

We’re Closed For Maintenance.

Open again. Just bought a 1 kilo bag of [dried] mealworms for £7.99 in Home Bargains, buying them in the 100gram packs they cost £0.99.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024