Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of Quality is sad to see 23:04 - Aug 20 with 3171 viewsCroftyjack

The key issues of last season are still to be addressed, ie defending at set pieces, creative midfield, delivering wingers and a game plan with tempo and urgency.
Lets all face it we were lucky last season following poor recruitment but this pre season we have really shot ourselves in the foot.
Okay on face of it £32 million for a 32 yr old centre back and an attacking player who don't fit the system seems great business but one is a leader who commands respect from his team mates and statistically one of the best in the league and the other a leader who can get 12 - 20 goals a season.
Today we had no leaders out there and were very pedestrian at times almost like a pre season friendly.
What was needed after last season was plain for me to stay in the league and move forward, unfortunately other than potentially upgrading our strikers though a man light we still need a commanding centre back, a playmaker in central midfield, a winger that can deliver plus another alternative for Gylfi.
On todays performance you can also see that we are not going to score many goals this year as other than the strikers and gylfi it is hard to see many goals from anyone else...I mean Barrow, Montero, Routs and Dyer will be lucky to get 10 between them in this system.
Lucky we still have time in this window but I feel there is little hunger from the board and little time to provide Guido the tools needed to improve...oh well reap what you sow I guess.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:08 - Aug 20 with 2659 viewsParsSwans

Absolutely spot on post
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:10 - Aug 20 with 2645 viewsdickythorpe

We're all frustrated with the performance today. It's too early to make a proper judgement on how we'll do.
Baston hasn't played yet and we don't have a "gelled" , settled side yet.

My worries is that it's all going to be down to Gylfi.

My plus point from today is that (and I hope I'm right) as professional football players they will realise today was nowhere near good enough and they learn very early on in the season what they need to work on and improve.

It was a reality check today, I hope they knuckle down!
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:19 - Aug 20 with 2607 viewstherealme

We are still paying the price for poor recruitment, its difficult to ship 7-8 players out all in one go

Of the players left- Naughton, Fernandez, Cork, Ki, nobody will convince me these players suit our style but were having to carry them

Francesco's black and white army ⚪️⚫️

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:20 - Aug 20 with 2599 viewsmagicdaps10

A creative player who can score goals from midfield

Ziyech
OR
Chadli

Simple.

Plus the obvious centre half, a defender who can defend and put the blocks in ala Ash.............Francesco Acerbi.

It wont come cheap but needs must.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:24 - Aug 20 with 2565 viewsCroftyjack

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:10 - Aug 20 by dickythorpe

We're all frustrated with the performance today. It's too early to make a proper judgement on how we'll do.
Baston hasn't played yet and we don't have a "gelled" , settled side yet.

My worries is that it's all going to be down to Gylfi.

My plus point from today is that (and I hope I'm right) as professional football players they will realise today was nowhere near good enough and they learn very early on in the season what they need to work on and improve.

It was a reality check today, I hope they knuckle down!

I am frustrated but my post is the issues of last season that still has not been addressed through recruitment, maybe Guido can coach it but it don't seem that way as yet!.
And when you say the team aint gelled..it was the same players from last season out there other than the striker who is a seasoned pro so should get upto speed quicker than some...all other parts of the pitch is the usual squad from last season so other than playing to your new strikers strengths there no gelling.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:42 - Aug 20 with 2497 viewsgiantstoneater

Agree with much of that exempt for us still having time in this window it took us the best part of the summer to sign two strikers who were not involved in the euros and are both unfit our main threat comes from two very erratic wingers
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 00:28 - Aug 21 with 2408 views50pencehead

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:42 - Aug 20 by giantstoneater

Agree with much of that exempt for us still having time in this window it took us the best part of the summer to sign two strikers who were not involved in the euros and are both unfit our main threat comes from two very erratic wingers

Come on people we are Swansea City not 1970 Brazil, as long as we are better than 3 other teams in this division we'll be OK and I'm convinced we can be at least that. To say we are doomed after 180 minutes of league football is what I'd expect from a nob like Savage not from members of the Jackarmy.
The lack of atmosphere at the lib is something I agree with tho and that is NOTHING to do with the players......its down to us.

STID

Feet like a Toblerone

N/A. on 01:15 - Aug 21 with 2344 viewsHuw57

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 0:47]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 05:22 - Aug 21 with 2253 viewsAussieSwan

N/A. on 01:15 - Aug 21 by Huw57

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 0:47]

This. Don't think we'll get both but would love to see it happen

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 05:22 - Aug 21 with 2253 viewsAussieSwan

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 00:28 - Aug 21 by 50pencehead

Come on people we are Swansea City not 1970 Brazil, as long as we are better than 3 other teams in this division we'll be OK and I'm convinced we can be at least that. To say we are doomed after 180 minutes of league football is what I'd expect from a nob like Savage not from members of the Jackarmy.
The lack of atmosphere at the lib is something I agree with tho and that is NOTHING to do with the players......its down to us.

STID

"As long as we are better than 3 other teams in this division we'll be OK"

Whilst you're correct, I think we should be aiming a bit higher than just 17th. Maybe that's where we are realistically at but this is our sixth season in the Prem and I for one feel we should be lifting our ambitions a bit.

We finished 8th in 2014/15 don't forget

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 06:55 - Aug 21 with 2207 viewsjackal

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 05:22 - Aug 21 by AussieSwan

"As long as we are better than 3 other teams in this division we'll be OK"

Whilst you're correct, I think we should be aiming a bit higher than just 17th. Maybe that's where we are realistically at but this is our sixth season in the Prem and I for one feel we should be lifting our ambitions a bit.

We finished 8th in 2014/15 don't forget

After yesterday's performance I'd bite your hand off for 17th.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 07:26 - Aug 21 with 2175 viewsTummer_from_Texas

"one is a leader who commands respect from his team mates and statistically one of the best in the league"

Gylfi is our one hope, there, and about the right age to assume that role.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 10:50 - Aug 21 with 1933 viewscostalotta

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 23:20 - Aug 20 by magicdaps10

A creative player who can score goals from midfield

Ziyech
OR
Chadli

Simple.

Plus the obvious centre half, a defender who can defend and put the blocks in ala Ash.............Francesco Acerbi.

It wont come cheap but needs must.

I'd tend to agree with that. Problem is, its probably a minority view and certainly a view that will likely not be found by those on the board!

Its so freeking obvious IMO but not only that I do wonder if we are actually weaker than last season overall. And that would be an achievement!
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 11:29 - Aug 21 with 1869 viewsawayjack

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 10:50 - Aug 21 by costalotta

I'd tend to agree with that. Problem is, its probably a minority view and certainly a view that will likely not be found by those on the board!

Its so freeking obvious IMO but not only that I do wonder if we are actually weaker than last season overall. And that would be an achievement!

Whatever way we look at it out squad is weaker than last year and probably the weakest since our first season in the premier league.
- In financial terms so far we're £20m down (or up for shareholders) in terms value of players sold versus bought. Add to last year similar story with more quality sold than bought.
- In player numbers we've shipped out 7 players that started last year and brought in 3 realistic chance of starting this year. Emnes/Tabs who are not seemingly in our plans so not just quality but depth of squad is weaker.
- In terms of player qualities we've sold our captain / leader and our leading goal scorer and either not replaced them or taken a risks on unproven / unfit repayments.

We can listen to the nonsense spouted out by the new owners about not being a 'stepping stone' club but we keep selling our best players and replacing with relative low budget risks. Our rivals have kicked onto a much higher level of in terms of quality and squad depth. We've looked at same level as two teams considered to be relegation fodder. Hopefully loss yesterday will push HJ/Owners to recruit the 2-3 high quality players we so obviously need. Or maybe they'll keep banking the profit on players and take a risk there are 3 teams weaker than us.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 11:40 - Aug 21 with 1830 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 11:29 - Aug 21 by awayjack

Whatever way we look at it out squad is weaker than last year and probably the weakest since our first season in the premier league.
- In financial terms so far we're £20m down (or up for shareholders) in terms value of players sold versus bought. Add to last year similar story with more quality sold than bought.
- In player numbers we've shipped out 7 players that started last year and brought in 3 realistic chance of starting this year. Emnes/Tabs who are not seemingly in our plans so not just quality but depth of squad is weaker.
- In terms of player qualities we've sold our captain / leader and our leading goal scorer and either not replaced them or taken a risks on unproven / unfit repayments.

We can listen to the nonsense spouted out by the new owners about not being a 'stepping stone' club but we keep selling our best players and replacing with relative low budget risks. Our rivals have kicked onto a much higher level of in terms of quality and squad depth. We've looked at same level as two teams considered to be relegation fodder. Hopefully loss yesterday will push HJ/Owners to recruit the 2-3 high quality players we so obviously need. Or maybe they'll keep banking the profit on players and take a risk there are 3 teams weaker than us.

The complete "lie" which makes a nonsense of what you have just said is Hull.
They beat us with a "championship" side, no star transfers, only 17 fit in their squad, but they had a plan. One which we have often effectively employed ourselves.
The plan
Defend
Defend
Defend
Defend
Breakaway and score
They have used it twice and won twice.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:04 - Aug 21 with 1780 viewsdobjack2

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 11:40 - Aug 21 by A_Fans_Dad

They beat us with a "championship" side, no star transfers, only 17 fit in their squad, but they had a plan. One which we have often effectively employed ourselves.
The plan
Defend
Defend
Defend
Defend
Breakaway and score

We did it under Monk.

What we need is the quality to break down the teams that come here to do that and to play at a higher tempo against them. Oh and not be such a soft touch at set pieces.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:05 - Aug 21 with 1778 viewsdickythorpe

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 07:26 - Aug 21 by Tummer_from_Texas

"one is a leader who commands respect from his team mates and statistically one of the best in the league"

Gylfi is our one hope, there, and about the right age to assume that role.

Too much is expected of him everytime he gets the ball. I would rather him not have the burden of captaincy heaped on his shoulders.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:25 - Aug 21 with 1724 viewsWxmJax

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 00:28 - Aug 21 by 50pencehead

STID

The lack of atmosphere at The Liberty isn't great and it sounds stupid but when you're down you need that support. I join in with the singing when we're away but on the few occasions I'm in Swansea I don't, probably because I seem to get tickets in the west stand so I'm being a bit hypocritical. It's the camaraderie that you get on away trips when it's a few of you against all of them that binds everyone together. Some people were moaning about The Icelandic Clap and Don't Take Me Home at Burnley but it was loud, it was fun and we scored after we began singing them. It would be great to get them going down The Liberty although I do understand that people might not want to stay and drink all the beer.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:27 - Aug 21 with 1712 viewsawayjack

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 11:40 - Aug 21 by A_Fans_Dad

The plan
Defend
Defend
Defend
Defend
Breakaway and score

So Hull beating us with a championship team makes my point that our squad is weaker than last year 'nonsense'. Genius.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:29 - Aug 21 with 1693 viewsMurph75

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:04 - Aug 21 by dobjack2

We did it under Monk.

What we need is the quality to break down the teams that come here to do that and to play at a higher tempo against them. Oh and not be such a soft touch at set pieces.

I think you're spot on with us needing more quality to break teams down. That was very evident yesterday.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:40 - Aug 21 with 1669 viewsinspector

personally i think we still would've struggled with ayew and willuams in the side. ayew may have nicked one? who knows.
it was just one of them games.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 13:06 - Aug 21 with 1611 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 12:27 - Aug 21 by awayjack

So Hull beating us with a championship team makes my point that our squad is weaker than last year 'nonsense'. Genius.

Well, let us look at was has been said, the OP was talking about a lack of Quality presumably because we lost to Hull and you say it is because
"Whatever way we look at it out squad is weaker than last year"
We got rid of an aging striker we got on a free who scored 6 goals and a Good player, also on a free who scored 12 goals.
We paid £5M for a direct replacement for Gomis, for another aging player, but with a better pedigree.
We paid a record breaking £15M for a young striker to replace the free Ayew.
We sold our captain, an aging Centre Back and the club has already said it wants to and will replace him.
So just where is the Squad weaker than last year?
The point about Hull is that to win you don't necessarily have to have expensive players, they have beaten 2 Premier League teams, one of which is the current League Champions.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 13:56 - Aug 21 with 1549 viewsdobjack2

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 13:06 - Aug 21 by A_Fans_Dad

Well, let us look at was has been said, the OP was talking about a lack of Quality presumably because we lost to Hull and you say it is because
"Whatever way we look at it out squad is weaker than last year"
We got rid of an aging striker we got on a free who scored 6 goals and a Good player, also on a free who scored 12 goals.
We paid £5M for a direct replacement for Gomis, for another aging player, but with a better pedigree.
We paid a record breaking £15M for a young striker to replace the free Ayew.
We sold our captain, an aging Centre Back and the club has already said it wants to and will replace him.
So just where is the Squad weaker than last year?
The point about Hull is that to win you don't necessarily have to have expensive players, they have beaten 2 Premier League teams, one of which is the current League Champions.

The thing is baston hasn't replaced Ayew.

We have replaced Eder and gomis with llorente and baston.

Ayew was signed as a goal scoring wideman. We ended up playing him through the middle because our other options weren't working and out wide he got in gylfi's way.

In my view ayew has been replaced on the cheap by giving Nathan a new contract and he won't score the goals ayew did even when he played wide.

So we appear to have improved our central striking options but weakened our goal threat from out wide.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 14:03 - Aug 21 with 1524 viewscostalotta

Lack of Quality is sad to see on 13:56 - Aug 21 by dobjack2

The thing is baston hasn't replaced Ayew.

We have replaced Eder and gomis with llorente and baston.

Ayew was signed as a goal scoring wideman. We ended up playing him through the middle because our other options weren't working and out wide he got in gylfi's way.

In my view ayew has been replaced on the cheap by giving Nathan a new contract and he won't score the goals ayew did even when he played wide.

So we appear to have improved our central striking options but weakened our goal threat from out wide.

100% agree.

And to add... We don't have the supply lines neither. We are weaker squad wise, no doubt.
Lack of Quality is sad to see on 14:05 - Aug 21 with 1519 viewscostalotta

Ayew, shelvey, paloschi, ash. None of these have been replaced and that's why we have a weaker paper thin squad. Only takes on or two to be off form and were are bol**cked.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024