Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poverty 13:53 - May 3 with 1271 viewsKerouac

Some food for thought...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/inconvenient-truth-about-food-banks-rich-are-getting-ri

Discuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Poverty on 14:06 - May 3 with 1256 viewsHighjack

When you go to a food bank do you actually have to prove you are in dire need or do they just hand it out to anyone who asks for it?

Genuine question because I don't know how they work but if it's the latter then I'd imagine there would be a lot of unscrupulous people who would take advantage.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Poverty on 14:58 - May 3 with 1229 viewsFieryJack

Poverty on 14:06 - May 3 by Highjack

When you go to a food bank do you actually have to prove you are in dire need or do they just hand it out to anyone who asks for it?

Genuine question because I don't know how they work but if it's the latter then I'd imagine there would be a lot of unscrupulous people who would take advantage.

I think you have to have some sort of proof, but am not sure since I'm lucky enough never to have been to one.

These places hardly have big signs outside - there is stigma and humiliation enough in having to go to such places as it is, so I can't imagine there's more than an infintesimal minority who would try to take advantage.

I've heard of people who, rather than face the shame of going to a local food bank, have, in the absence of bus fare, walked miles and back to one outside of their area in order to collect some food.

Welfare should be set at levels which obviate the need for such places. Fuggin' shameful and Victorian. But with inflation rising as it is I can only see such places proliferating.

What seems odd to me is that charity groups would collect food donations from my local Asda once every 2 or 3 months - to which, of course, I would donate at least a fiver's worth of groceries - but I haven't seen them now for ages. Maybe Asda don't want them outside anymore. Mind you, they have enough to do putting up with people begging directly outside, as well as dealing with ever increasingly desperate and violent shoplifters inside.

Years of Tory rule = a country well and truly frayed at the edges. Not seen it this bad since the late 70s and early 80s.
Poverty on 16:23 - May 3 with 1181 viewspikeypaul

Proof ?

Guy on the door feels you around the waist.

The trouble is a lot claiming "poverty" are fat obese bar stewards.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Poverty on 17:12 - May 3 with 1151 viewsJack_Meoff

Poverty on 16:23 - May 3 by pikeypaul

Proof ?

Guy on the door feels you around the waist.

The trouble is a lot claiming "poverty" are fat obese bar stewards.

Why are you talking about things you know nothing about?

You have to be referred to a foodbank, you can't just show up. There's a contact in the Civic Centre I believe, I can't recall exactly. The company I work for donated some boxes of food to the bank in Gorseinon.

It's a last resort, not a lifestyle choice. What a hideous article. Describing them as an innovation. F*ck me. They exist to fill a void, not f*cking create one.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Poverty on 17:30 - May 3 with 1138 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

If all else fails

Blame the poor

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Poverty on 17:31 - May 3 with 1137 viewspikeypaul

Poverty on 17:12 - May 3 by Jack_Meoff

You have to be referred to a foodbank, you can't just show up. There's a contact in the Civic Centre I believe, I can't recall exactly. The company I work for donated some boxes of food to the bank in Gorseinon.

It's a last resort, not a lifestyle choice. What a hideous article. Describing them as an innovation. F*ck me. They exist to fill a void, not f*cking create one.

How do you get referred?

Do you just show up at the civic centre then make your way to Gorsienon?

They should eliminate the cost of transport to civic centre so the hungry could
spend it on grub.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Poverty on 19:06 - May 3 with 1098 viewsexiledclaseboy

So more people are using food banks than they were 20 years ago cos food banks didn't exist 20 years ago.

Insightful stuff from Dynamite Dan. Clearly wasted in the European Parliament with such razor sharp reasoning.

Poll: Tory leader

Poverty on 19:10 - May 3 with 1090 viewsLohengrin

Poverty on 19:06 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

So more people are using food banks than they were 20 years ago cos food banks didn't exist 20 years ago.

Insightful stuff from Dynamite Dan. Clearly wasted in the European Parliament with such razor sharp reasoning.

I've got a copy of Hannan's book, A Useful Fiction. You'd probably quite enjoy leafing through that, Clase.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Poverty on 19:16 - May 3 with 1080 viewsexiledclaseboy

Poverty on 19:10 - May 3 by Lohengrin

I've got a copy of Hannan's book, A Useful Fiction. You'd probably quite enjoy leafing through that, Clase.

Probably. I enjoy reading people I don't agree with, it's pretty much the only reason I come here these days.

Poverty on 19:18 - May 3 with 1071 viewsLohengrin

Poverty on 19:16 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

Probably. I enjoy reading people I don't agree with, it's pretty much the only reason I come here these days.

Me too. If I've got nobody around to argue with I open a book and argue with that.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Poverty on 19:39 - May 3 with 1042 viewsBrynmill_Jack

So we should all count our lucky stars because things aren't as bad as they were in the 19th century??

Is he allowed to take the industrial revolution, science, civilization and progress out if the equation???

Mega mega lolzzzzzz

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Poverty on 19:49 - May 3 with 1032 viewsjack2jack

And also they give the government another excuse to sit back and do fvck all.
This is 2017 FFS, not Edwardian Britain, like you said JM if they were not needed they wouldn't exist, and thanks to the many volunteers who run them.
I also find the article dismissive at best,and unless you are in the unfortunate position of needing such a service,how can journalist's pass comment in such a glib manner.
Poverty on 19:59 - May 3 with 1018 viewsexiledclaseboy

Poverty on 19:49 - May 3 by jack2jack

And also they give the government another excuse to sit back and do fvck all.
This is 2017 FFS, not Edwardian Britain, like you said JM if they were not needed they wouldn't exist, and thanks to the many volunteers who run them.
I also find the article dismissive at best,and unless you are in the unfortunate position of needing such a service,how can journalist's pass comment in such a glib manner.

He's not just a journo, he's a Tory MEP with a vested interest.

Poverty on 20:05 - May 3 with 999 viewsdickythorpe

I think you have to be referred to Food Banks. However I think proof of being on benefits is the key. Also the Salvation Army and Probation service give out Food Bank vouchers.

I hope none on here will ever need them.
Poverty on 20:32 - May 3 with 963 viewsDr_Winston

Plenty of organisations refer to foodbanks, my own included.

The ultimate decision on whether or not a food parcel is issued rests with the foodbanks themselves however.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Poverty on 20:53 - May 3 with 922 viewsFieryJack

People like this who rely on the public's charity should be outed, and made to eat this free food in public places - preferably at long tables in city centres and squares during the lunch hour, when affluent office workers can mock, deride and expectorate over them.

Anyone daring to leave owt on their plates should be dragged from their chairs and held down and force fed.

This would become a popular spectacle, a modern equivalent of bear-baiting and the stocks rolled into one.

Castle Gardens would be ideal for this little wheeze.

What's not to like?

Not my idea, but probably one that Katie Hopkins and her ilk would sponsor & enthusiastically endorse.
Poverty on 20:58 - May 3 with 915 viewsperchrockjack

Poverty isn't about not having a decent mobile

It's relative

Poverty in Africa is still poverty but not what we see here

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Poverty on 21:03 - May 3 with 902 viewsJack_Meoff

Poverty on 20:32 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

Plenty of organisations refer to foodbanks, my own included.

The ultimate decision on whether or not a food parcel is issued rests with the foodbanks themselves however.

Are you sure Dr? My understanding was once you had a voucher through referral they would give you a 3 day parcel of food. They won't issue one without the voucher. Like you say, there are a number of ways of being referred, I think a GP is also an option. Anyway, semantics I guess.

The volunteers in Gorseinon also provide a free coffee and cake too, just having somewhere to go to access advice etc is invaluable to some individuals. You hear all kinds of stories about why people access foodbanks, but they have one constant: it's the last resort, and people DO NOT want to be there.

40000 food parcels issued in 2010
1000000+ in 2016

Figures tell their own tale. God bless innovation eh.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 8:43]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Poverty on 21:06 - May 3 with 895 viewsjack2jack

Poverty on 21:03 - May 3 by Jack_Meoff

Are you sure Dr? My understanding was once you had a voucher through referral they would give you a 3 day parcel of food. They won't issue one without the voucher. Like you say, there are a number of ways of being referred, I think a GP is also an option. Anyway, semantics I guess.

The volunteers in Gorseinon also provide a free coffee and cake too, just having somewhere to go to access advice etc is invaluable to some individuals. You hear all kinds of stories about why people access foodbanks, but they have one constant: it's the last resort, and people DO NOT want to be there.

1000000+ in 2016

Shocking figures JM
Poverty on 21:39 - May 3 with 855 viewsDr_Winston

1000000+ in 2016

Part of my job is issuing them so yeah, pretty sure.

We're required to give the disclaimer upon issuing that the Foodbanks themselves have the final say and can still refuse. Wouldn't have any idea how often that happens (probably not at all TBH) but technically they still retain that power.

As for the rest of it, I'm purposely steering clear of any and all discussions of this ilk for obvious reasons at election time but the only thing I will say is that there's an awful lot of ignorance on both sides of the debate, as there generally is when it comes to discussions of welfare policy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Poverty on 22:34 - May 3 with 771 viewsbuilthjack

The poor are getting poorer. It will get worse.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Poverty on 01:29 - May 4 with 709 viewsLoyal

Poverty on 20:05 - May 3 by dickythorpe

I think you have to be referred to Food Banks. However I think proof of being on benefits is the key. Also the Salvation Army and Probation service give out Food Bank vouchers.

I hope none on here will ever need them.

I know an ex serviceman who fell on hard times after his wife died, mental health etc food banks saved his life over that year, he has a limited amount of visits and they enabled him to get back on his feet. He was homeless for two months. The British legion helped too, he lives in Stoke now. When I see what he has endured over the years serving his country and taking in all the issues afterwards including his poor wife I want to drive to Gillingham and knock Rory Donnelly clean out. These cnts know nothing of life.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Poverty on 08:06 - May 4 with 650 viewsJack_Meoff

Poverty on 21:39 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

Part of my job is issuing them so yeah, pretty sure.

We're required to give the disclaimer upon issuing that the Foodbanks themselves have the final say and can still refuse. Wouldn't have any idea how often that happens (probably not at all TBH) but technically they still retain that power.

As for the rest of it, I'm purposely steering clear of any and all discussions of this ilk for obvious reasons at election time but the only thing I will say is that there's an awful lot of ignorance on both sides of the debate, as there generally is when it comes to discussions of welfare policy.

Fair enough, ta. Cheers for clarifying, didn't know that.

I'd not heard about anyone being refused with a voucher is all, but I guess they're given the disclaimer in case of extenuating circumstances.

Poverty on 08:27 - May 4 with 637 viewsClinton

1000000+ in 2016

Respectfully I think you'll find that food banks have issued a million plus parcels. The post I implies over a million distinct users. A fine distinction, but in this much argued area it important to be accurate.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Poverty on 08:34 - May 4 with 634 viewsJack_Meoff

Poverty on 08:27 - May 4 by Clinton

Respectfully I think you'll find that food banks have issued a million plus parcels. The post I implies over a million distinct users. A fine distinction, but in this much argued area it important to be accurate.

You're absolutely correct George, in fairness. My mistake. Initial post edited.

You're right about it being an important distinction, but the point about food bank usage increasing exponentially over the last six years still stands.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 8:42]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024