Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... 14:00 - Nov 6 with 5536 viewsswansvalleyjack

After watching (correction - enduring) that awful match on Saturday, I couldn’t believe how far we’ve plummeted since the “Swansea Way” of Martinez- Rodgers-Laudrup (with a bit of Sousa thrown in).

It got me reminiscing (over a few commiseration drinks ! ) of what was the “Swansea Way” (especially in the Premier league) - and where has it gone. Btw, this post turned out longer than I planned, so opt out now if you want :)

Started by Martinez, it developed into crisp accurate incisive passing all over the pitch, lots of triangles, players always looking to move into space; decent defenders who were comfortable on the ball; playing out from the back with solid hold up play - bringing midfielders, wingers & full backs into attack; then finished off more often by the likes of Graham, Michu & Bony ; plus a patient acceptance from fans that even passing around the back would soon build up to something exciting and positive. And of course the legend Leon - the glue holding it all together. Plus stalwarts like Tate, Rangel , Dyer and Williams (even Monk in fairness as a player). Anyone want to add anything ?

And of course shrewd transfers — especially at the start of our Premier League adventure under Rodgers & Laudrup — with everyone buying into our consistent style of play.

In the Rodgers regime , the likes of Sinclair, Borini and Britton had already been signed up in our promotion year. Then in 2011/12 - our Premier league start - Vorm, Graham, Caulker, Sigurdsson & Routledge were in.

In 2012/13, in the Laudrup (and his agent ! ) regime, in came Flores, Michu, Ki, Hernandez, De Guzman & Bartley.

For me, I especially remember two games where the “Swansea Way” was at its peak. Yes, we also have the wonderful high profile scalps of the likes of United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea , plus the League Cup triumph (where have those days gone !!  ) — but the two games against WBA and Fulham especially stand out.

The 3-0 at Fulham in March 2012 under Rodgers was breathtaking , two Siggy goals and a cracker from Joe. I was privileged to be there - Match of the Day speeded up our fantastic passing display all over the pitch, highlighting loads of zippy triangles. And on leaving the ground, I remember talking to some old-time Fulham fans who said that was the best away performance they had ever seen at the Cottage.

And of course , the win against WBA 3-1 at the Liberty (first half especially) in November 2012 under Laudrup. Two goals for Routledge (he was decent then !) and Michu. But the performance — wow, even Laudrup the master footballer was purring.

There will be other similar games fans will remember eg the 5-0 at QPR. Arsenal away with the Michu goals. The Teams then did not cost many millions (just the right players for our system). Were the transfers influenced by Rogers/Laudrup (& agent) ? — possibly, but it worked. The Laudrup regime also bought in Bony & Shelvey.

So…in 2013/14, with Laudrup losing interest unfortunately (clashes also with Jenkins I guess), we entered the start of the Monk era, going then into 2014/15. The pragmatic, diamond style …the start of the decline of the “Swansea Way”. And coming in - Gomis, Barrow, Emnes, Fernandez, Grimes, Naughton, Cork , Montero, & Carroll/Oliveria (on loan).

And in subsequent years we have the transfers in of the likes of Eder, Tabanou, Paloschi, Baston, Fer, Van de Horn, Narsingh, Ayew (J), Mesa, Clucas, Sanchez. Also Bony ( a Laudrup re-signing — but will he be the same as before ?) Plus issues like keeping Naughton and letting Kingsley go, and not replacing (as near as possible) the likes of Sigurdsson & Llorente.

A string of many terrible (often very expensive) dealings.

Though since 2014/15, some other plusses in (in fairness) — Fabianski, Llorente, Olssen, Kingsley, Abraham,…maybe Mawson , A. Ayew. Plus Sigurdsson of course, but a re-signing from the Rodgers era.

Btw, even in the Rodgers/Laudrup eras, we still had the likes of Lita, Bessone, Mc Eachran, Tiendelli, Schecter, Lamah, Amat, Canas, Gorre, Pozuelo, N’Gog & Vasquez brought in. Whose purchases were they ? But fortunately they were balanced out by more than decent signings elsewhere. Nowadays there is very little in the way of a good balancing act.

But we can’t get away with so many perpetual poor signings, year on year. Nor desperate managerial changes.

How many of those listed above from 2014/15 onwards (non Rodgers/Laudrup eras) would have added quality to these “Swansea Way” teams v WBA & Fulham. Only Fabianski & Llorente for me (Bony as well of course at his peak) :

Against Fulham (btw beating City the week before) it was Vorm, Rangel, Caulker, Monk, Taylor, Allen, Britton, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Graham, Sinclair.

Against WBA, it was Tremmel, Rangel, Flores, Williams, Davies, Hernandez (sub de Guzman), Britton, Ki, Dyer, Routledge, Michu.

A golden era indeed. And I wonder if we will ever get back to the “Swansea Way” which brought us so much success and pleasure. Probably not under our current structure …ah well, back to reality in 2017/18 unfortunately.
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 14:06 - Nov 6 with 4008 viewsDarran

This Swansea Way tag is one of the worst things to ever happen to us too.

Gets right on my tits.

Strangely enough I don’t see any other team in the Prem close to playing that style other than Man City. Weird eh?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 14:08 - Nov 6 with 3995 viewsbazzool

Quality thread mate, but unfortunately we are doomed if we carry on this way, we need better players and someone in charge who knows how to work a system
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 15:47 - Nov 6 with 3890 viewsswansvalleyjack

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 14:08 - Nov 6 by bazzool

Quality thread mate, but unfortunately we are doomed if we carry on this way, we need better players and someone in charge who knows how to work a system

You're so right, but I've no faith in our scouting system at all....though maybe Clement can do things in the January transfer window (like last year). But it's all "sticking plaster " stuff it seems.
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 15:52 - Nov 6 with 3880 viewstrampie

Before tika taka mind , Swans were always known for playing football.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 16:00 - Nov 6 with 3855 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 14:06 - Nov 6 by Darran

Gets right on my tits.

Strangely enough I don’t see any other team in the Prem close to playing that style other than Man City. Weird eh?

Arsenal.

Even before Martínez invented it.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 16:35 - Nov 6 with 3806 viewsjack247

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 14:06 - Nov 6 by Darran

Gets right on my tits.

It got us from league one to the Premier League
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 17:25 - Nov 6 with 3724 viewsDavillin

I'll make this as brief as I can.

Someone recently posted some video of Swansea when they were tearing up the grounds [thanks, sir, and apologies for not remembering who did it].

The videos had a very strong effect on me for exactly the reason they were posted -- they showed a bunch of attack-mad and confident players brutalizing defenders with Swansea player after player storming into the box repeatedly, and shooting with venom.

From watching that video [and subsequently also from watching the current team] it's clear that there has been an over-emphasis lately on strict adherence to a formation, and to defence, and to a lesser degree to the "system" flavour of the week.

If you don't score, you can't win. If you don't shoot, you can't score. Stats on both shots and shots on goal don't tell the whole story, but they are of some significance. It's more about the affect on opponent defenders and on the final score.

What's more important is the recent stubbornness in basing the attack around one player, sometimes two players.

There is a tradition in the U.S. Marine Corps that "every Marine is rifleman," meaning that no matter what his "job" is, he is trained first to know how to handle a rifle and the tactics of fighting on the ground, so he could step into the ground war with no further training. I was told this by a man who had flown a very high number of missions in a fighter plane over Vietnam; and he was very proud of it.

In the old Swansea game, every player was an attacker, no matter what his lineup "position." We need that attitude again.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:08 - Nov 6 with 3561 viewsjackportis

As a mark of remembrance wind street should be renamed Swansea Way.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Login to get fewer ads

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:11 - Nov 6 with 3544 viewsbazzool

I really want to believe in paul c and he seems a decent guy but theres something he hasnt got right , ATTACKING ATTACKING ATTACKING football, someone said to me perhaps hes in to put the swans in the championship and have a nice backhander, r they true ? Or is he just absolutely CRAP !!!! Along with CLUCAS, KI , CARROL (not bad at times) , iv had enuff mun , i work away most of the time and watch the game in work on my phone, and the amount of times i feel so angry is unbelievable, and i can see the crowd shouting at the players in anger aswell, but what will be done, F#@K all thats what
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:14 - Nov 6 with 3536 viewsBloodyhills

Nostalgia is all that's left.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:18 - Nov 6 with 3526 viewsjack2jack

At the moment I'd be satisfied with a half decent knockabout.
Oh for the on 19:19 - Nov 6 with 3524 viewsJoshTheJack

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:11 - Nov 6 by bazzool

I really want to believe in paul c and he seems a decent guy but theres something he hasnt got right , ATTACKING ATTACKING ATTACKING football, someone said to me perhaps hes in to put the swans in the championship and have a nice backhander, r they true ? Or is he just absolutely CRAP !!!! Along with CLUCAS, KI , CARROL (not bad at times) , iv had enuff mun , i work away most of the time and watch the game in work on my phone, and the amount of times i feel so angry is unbelievable, and i can see the crowd shouting at the players in anger aswell, but what will be done, F#@K all thats what

Clement wants to succeed crazy to think otherwise.As for the attacking football we haven't got the players for it.Although he should be doing better.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2017 19:20]
Oh for the on 19:45 - Nov 6 with 3470 viewsJokeren1943

Swansea was for me about intelligent defending (though possession). Smaller often slower players outsmarting faster and stronger players.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2017 19:53]
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 08:04 - Nov 7 with 3239 viewsswan65split

I remember my son coming home from Martinezs first home pre season friendly ooozing about our style of play, and saying we should do well.

Well? 3rd division to Prem wasn't too bad was it, crisp exciting , and good watching, in steps Monk and lo and behold midway through season 1 it starts to fade. from shadow to inept,
as i said in a previous post if it aint broke don"t fix it.....but someone did , and I cant see it coming back.
For a couple of seasons the Country and the World were amazed, and talking of our style and success....................we are now becoming a laughing stock again, and lining ourselves up for the pantomime role
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 08:16 - Nov 7 with 3216 viewsJFSwan

The biggest thing for me is that when we were under pressure we could 'refer to type' and keep the ball to relieve pressure. Now we invite teams on
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 09:22 - Nov 7 with 3147 viewsWarwickHunt

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 19:14 - Nov 6 by Bloodyhills

Nostalgia is all that's left.

And even that's not what it used to be...
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 09:28 - Nov 7 with 3125 viewsSTID2017

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 16:00 - Nov 6 by Joe_bradshaw

Arsenal.

Even before Martínez invented it.

I think he means this season.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 17:48 - Nov 7 with 3007 viewsbazzool

Iv had enuff, the vodkas coming out
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 18:11 - Nov 7 with 2979 viewsOldjack

When was the last time we the fans applauded a Swansea piece of football ,it's gone gone gone

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:09 - Nov 7 with 2898 viewsLeonWasGod

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 08:16 - Nov 7 by JFSwan

The biggest thing for me is that when we were under pressure we could 'refer to type' and keep the ball to relieve pressure. Now we invite teams on

Took balls that (and a lot of work on the training pitch). Generations of kids in this country are coached to clear their lines when defending. A lot of professional clubs still do it. It may have backfired occasionally but more often than not it helped us relieve the pressure and then we could build on that on the front foot. And we did it with poorer players (on paper at least) than we supposedly have now. Remember that excellent performance against Fulham in the cup that got the commentators purring. That first season at Anfield where we played them off the park football wise and got a applauded off by the home fans. Gower ran the midfield that day - Mark fkin Gower!, at Anfield .

Now we can't string five passes together and it's all about getting back into shape asap to limit space for the opposition. Depressing stuff.

Fwiw I thought Brighton were pretty good on the ball in their own half on Saturday. Lacking a bit of quality up front, but tidy. Good to see.
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:18 - Nov 7 with 2876 viewsjacksfullaces

agree to a point but there was a lot of possession without penetration too at times
Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:32 - Nov 7 with 2851 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:18 - Nov 7 by jacksfullaces

agree to a point but there was a lot of possession without penetration too at times

Aye, plenty of rose tinted specs and we did play a lot of Keira Knightley football back then.

I'd go back to that in a heartbeat now though.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:34 - Nov 7 with 2847 viewsLeonWasGod

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 18:11 - Nov 7 by Oldjack

When was the last time we the fans applauded a Swansea piece of football ,it's gone gone gone

I'm sure there was an outbreak of 'Swans will tear you apart' in the second half of last season. And it was deserved. Didn't last that long though. All our effort goes in to working without the ball (that's what it looks like anyway).
Oh for the on 21:35 - Nov 7 with 2845 viewsDJack

...and we are seeing incisive penetration now aren't we!?

Not having a go at you but I was considering this last weekend. As frustrating as it sometimes was ,controlling the possession gave us relief from the opposition attacks. All we do now is give them them ball back and try to endure.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Oh for the "Swansea Way".... on 21:43 - Nov 7 with 2830 viewsLeonWasGod

Nothing wrong with that if you're controlling the game, and having a breather. Nothing at all. Constantly passing backwards because players are too nervous to mess up or because there is never anything on (what we do now) is another matter entirely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024